Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,777 | Reviews: 1,405
2.66/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Apperance: Poured a clear dark brown, with some reddish hues. One finger head that doesn’t stick around very long; it reduces to a thin layer pretty quickly. No lacing at all.

Smell: Nose of strong bready/biscuity malts and smoky roasted nuts (maybe hazelnut?). Some sweetness is there, deep down, but much less prevalent than the other darker fragrances.

Taste: In a word, “nutty”. The same nuttiness found in the nose presents itself in the taste, overwhelming so. The nuts are strong up front, with sweet malts in the background. A hint of hops at the very end, but the nuttiness is still there lingering for a good while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodies and pretty smooth. A nice bit up front, and the taste lingers well.

Drinkability: An interesting take on a Brown Ale, but the nuttiness is completely overwhelming and just didn’t work with the style. Maybe if you like that sort of thing, this beer might work for you. I really can’t recommend this beer, and most likely will not try it again.

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

From a 22oz bomber.
Poured a nice shiny brown, with good 1 1/2 finger head. But the head was gone before I sat down, no lacing, no nothing. I was confused.
Smell of sweet malt, some caramel, maple and brown sugar.
Taste was sweet. Mostly maple and some hazelnut; tones of walnut and caramel. No hops to speak of.
An oily feeling. Thin. Smooth, yet sweet.
Can't drink this again. Nothing there to hang my hat on. From Rogue? Hmm...maybe this was a bad bottle.

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Tastes like a hazelnut coffee.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into my pint glass.

A: Probably my favorite thing about this beer. Pours a nice dark brown color with an off white head that sticks around for a little bit.

S: Lots of sweet malt in the smell. Has a hazlenut smell too it.

T: This beers overwhelming sweetness was a little too much. I would of liked at least a little bite to it, which my taste buds where waiting for but never came.

M: Not bad but not really that nice. It doesn't turn me off to the beer but it does nothing to impress me. The feel is just kind of there with no real aspect to make itself stand out to me.

D: This beer leaves me not wanting another one. I don't think I could suggest this to a friend at all.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I have tried this beer.

Appearance: It has a a very deep amber color to it. It looks quite nice in the glass. The beer has minimal head. A small amount gathered at the top of the glass, and settled quickly. This isn't what I picture a brown ale to look like, but it does have a nice appearance.

Smell: The beer has strong roasted malt scent. I did detect the hazelnut, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The first sip caught me a little off guard. This beer is much sweeter than I expectedl. It finishes with a nice roasted taste, which I liked. The sweetness negatively affected this beer for me. The hazelnut was very prominent, which was expected, but I guess I just don't like hazelnut in my beer. The 6.2% ABV is very well hidden...little to no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: This beer felt very thin and watery. This is not what I expect in a brown ale. There wasn't very much carbonation, which accentuated the watery feel. Not much good going on in this department.

Drinkability: I could see myself buying a bomber of this once (maximum) per year. I can't say the beer is bad, but the sweetness, thin, watery aspects leave a little to be desired. One bomber was enough.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle.

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think bitter is the right word, but it was just too bitter for my palate.

A: A nice amber color with a good brownish head the went away fairly quickly. A quality product.

S: I don't get any hazelnut notes, but there is definitely sweetness. Maybe Carmel?

T: Helps if this one warms a bit. This is a beer that is meant to be sipped and examined, instead of downed.

M: I like brown ales, but there is something about this one that just didn't do it for me on the palate. Had a weird taste that I can't describe. I've never had a hazelnut flavored beer and that could be my problem.

D: Again, since this didn't do it for me, the drinkability wasn't there for me. I had a hard time wanting to go back for more sips.

I can see why some would really enjoy this, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazelnuts? Where? Other than that, it's just an okay Brown Ale. Wouldn't bang again!

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 6/11/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a black/dark brown colored body, with nearly no head, tan in color. Chocolately, nutty aroma, and slight coffee. Has a taste of chocolate, nuts, coffee. Coffee aftertaste. Kind of watery. Reminds me of a porter.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

First had: on tap at Gullifty's, Wayne, PA

This was ok, but it was really lacking in flavor, which was disappointing considering the promise of hazelnut. I mean I wasn't expecting a Nutella beer, but...hmm... hmmm...

Poured a dark tea brown with a small off-white head that settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Toasty malts in the aroma, and not much else; slightly nutty. Taste: it's a brown ale. Malts and...malts, some caramel, a bit of nuttiness, brown sugar, and some coffee bitterness. Not really hazelnut though. Medium body, somewhat drinkable, but pretty bland I thought.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a deep dark brown, topped with a two to three finger creamy khaki head, leaves webs of lacing.
Great aroma, very robust, nuts, pine and caramel, light chocolate note.
Very strongly nut flavored - hazelnut I suppose - comes across better in the aftertaste. Sweet, caramel, pine toffee, and light chocolate, but there is too much hazelnut it's overwhelming.
Medium bodied and smooth, would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream. It could have been a lot better.

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Poured from 22 into pint

Nice mocha head

Sweet hazelnut. Coffee, chocolate and sweet-n-low.

Harsh sweet cheap coffee creamer, overwhelming hazelnut, really young tast

Not bad considering the flavor sim getting, somewhat creamy and coats the palate well.

Not the best beer I've had from Rogue, some folk seem to really dig this beer too sweet imo

2.81/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. My New Year's Beer Selection. Reviewed from notes.

(Appearance) Thick light tannish creamy head with average retention. Medium brown body color. Decent appearance. 3.5

(Smell) Musty hazelnut toffee aroma smells a little like wet dog. Hazelnut is a little artificial and dominates the nose. It doesn't allow for any balance and makes for a particuoarly unpleasant aroma. 2.5

(Taste) Cloying nutty flavor up front with a bitter roasted malt finish. A bit heavy on the hazelnut throughout and not in a pleasing way either. Not for everybody, even if you like hazelnut, this may not be an enjoyable beer. 2.75

(Mouthfeel) Creamy flavor with faint crispness throughout. Medium body for the style, medium body overall. Alcohol presence is light. 3.5

(Overall) I didn't fine the hazelnut to be a pleasing additive in this beer, and it really dominated the flavor and aroma throughout. Probably worth a try one but it is likely to offend more than the few it may please. 2.75

Rogue Ales'
Hazelnut Brown Nectar
2.81/5.00

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A - Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white two-finger head that recedes down to a thin layer fairly quickly, but retains well from that point.

S - Sweet, bread, caramel and toffee malt aromas with a pronounced hazelnut presence.

T - Sweet, toasted nutty and bread malt flavors dominate. Very slight bitter hoppiness detectable behind the malts. Decent flavors up front, but a bit bland in the finish and a little bit too sweet overall.

M - Medium bodied with a slightly syrupy feel. Medium-low carbonation level.

D - Not bad at first, but I found this beer to get old pretty quickly. Slightly too blandly sweet and syrupy to drink more than a glass of this at most. Some interesting flavors in there, but I will probably not be returning to this one.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

2.84/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

After trying this beer, I realized that I actually had tasted some good beer in my life and this wasn't it. The pour was flat with the head disappearing in seconds and a disappointed few bubbles rising to the top from the center of the bottom of the glass. The beer in appearance was cloudy almost murky. Meanwhile, after tasting it the taste was as flat as its pour.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. The first actual drink or the beer was delicious but every one after that was "thin" referring to the consistency. I did get a slight note of hazelnut and what seemed to be maybe nutmeg.

The cost was really fair (6 bucks), you can tell they put know what their doing the beer was just a miss for me.

So with everything I've babbled on about, go out and try it for yourself and write your own review.

2.86/5  rDev -29.7%

Served on-tap in a 16oz pint glass

Appearance: deep-reddish brown with thin cap of tan head and no lacing. Seems undercarbonated.

Smell: butterscotch and toffee with faint roasted odor with somewhat chemical fake hazelnut smell thrown in

Taste: Brown ale with some extra sweet extract nutty-caramel flavor. Nutty undertones are present but don't add much to cut the bland sweetness

Mouthfeel: Barely medium body, undercarbonated which gives it a watery feel overall.

Overall: I gave this a second try and liked it more than the first, but still not very much. The undercarbonation was odd and makes it feel too thin, and the chemical, extract flavoring is off-putting. I still contend this is one of Rogue's worst beers.

2.86/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Served with about a finger or so of whitish head. Brown to dark red in color. Clear.

S: Sweet semi-rancid malt. Loads of nuts.

T: Hazelnuts and toffee. Obscene amount of fatty, creamy nuttiness. Virtually no hops. Long, somewhat foul finish.

M: Medium in body with medium carbs. Nutty flavor sticks to the inside of the mouth.

D: As is obvious, I didn't care too much for this one. Luckily I handled it better than the wife who almost dry heaved on it. This beer reminds me of some watered down, malty version of Frangelico. However, if you like nuts in your mouth, this beer is for you.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

Pour is dark brown, with a thick tan head that quickly settles to light lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnut, backed up with lots of roasted and toasted malts. Flavor is overpowered with the hazelnut, quite sweet (maple syrup?), with a hint of the roasty malts peeking through at the end. Mouthfeel is full, a bit sticky.

2.97/5  rDev -27%

Pours a dark, Guinness like reddish purple color. Lots of aromas swell the taste buds. A sort of fake hazelnut aroma with tons of toasted malts. Seems a bit too fake for me. And I love Rogue. Seems a bit overproduced for me. Not my favorite Rogue but not my worst. Iwould hope to find something a little less fake with hazelnut. Hows about you?!

Too sweet and fake to be drinkable. Feels like I am drinking some sweet ass coffee. Yuck.

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a nice brown with a thick head. I for the life of me can't detect any hazelnut smell at all. Although the taste is good for a brown ale I can't detect any hazelnut taste or flavor at all. Although it's highly rated here I'm not sure why. The big letdown for me is the lack of any hazelnut.

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

I've had this several times in mugs and pint glasses. Today's is in a pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking dark brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light trickling lacing stuck to the sides decently and slides after about a minute.
The smell had a cooked nutty caramel flavoring. Every time I've had it, I could never really tell if that was hazelnut specifically, but it has a definite nuttiness about it.
The taste was semi-roasty with a decent nutty and caramel flavoring running underneath. A light rolling nutty aftertaste starts and leads into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was good for the style and for me as it wasn't too sharp but mainly standard.
Overall, I say this was a decent American Brown Ale. I might have this again.

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

I actually had to review this beer because so many people loved it and I'm now wondering what I'm missing. First it poured a deep reddish brown, slighty murky. Moderate head retention with some nice lacing. Ok, it smelled good, really it did, I WANTED to like it. It smelled like a bakery, caramel, toasted nuts, all that good stuff. But the taste? eh. It was a bit one-dimensional for me. Definitely very heavily presented toasted nut and oat flavors. But something was off, like I was looking at the tap and THINKING hazelnut but really I was tasting some horrible nut extract with a heavy emphasis on walnut/pecan. Oh yeah, some vanilla and even a little cocoa. But I wanted it sweeter and more balanced. WAY more balanced. but hey, maybe it's just me.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

650ml bottle. Pours a very dark red amber. Smells and tastes of hazelnut. Not bad, not great though. Easy to drink, but nothing special once again. After finishing the last of my bomber bottles of this, I grew more and more disappointed. Won't be buying this again.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales