Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Man, I wanted this beer to be better than what it was. After reading all of the reviews of this one, I was stoked to try this one myself so I went down to the local bottle store and grabbed one.

It poured just like everyone else said, nice brown color with a small tan head.

This beer smells wonderful. Very rich and nutty. You can definitely smell the hazelnut in this.

Goes downhill quickly here. I wonder if I got a bad bottle or something. This tastes exactly like a Bud Light or Coors Light or something. Is this flat? It has a nice head and smells great, but it tastes horrible. Very watery and flat, no nutty nuances or anything. Big time disappointed in this one. I will probably try this again in the future to give it a fair shake but at $5.99 for a 650 ml bottle, I expect some quality out of it.

I chose this over the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout next to it which I know is a solid choice so I'm bummed about that too.

Dang, I was hoping for more out of this.

Tilley4, Nov 28, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -41%

Poured into an imperial pint glass that yielded no head or lacing. Clear, dark brown in color. Hazelnut and some dark malt with a bit of hops in the nose. Hazelnut and the prickley carbonation were the first two things I noticed in the first sip. I think the hazelnut was a little bit overdone because it was in the forefront with the maltiness, carbonation and hops battling to show up. Relatively moderate in body with a bit too much carbonation. Overall, not that impressed. Not bad but I don't think I will spend another $5.00 for another bottle.

jlh8643, Mar 25, 2005
2.44/5  rDev -40%

Luanhuynh009, Oct 03, 2014

mctizzz, Feb 09, 2012

Sailracer, Mar 24, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Reminds me of syrupy flat coke. Thin mouth feel and weak flavors. Minimal hazelnut.

acostuhhh, Wednesday at 03:14 AM

Sludgeman, Jun 05, 2013

beercatbrew, Feb 26, 2013

tdmccarthy, Aug 14, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance is a little lacking, but it still holds a little lacing and a crisp brown color.

The smell is very sweet and reminds me of a coffee, an irish cream splashed with a little mocha cocoa.

The taste is sweet with slight bitter cocoa with traces of irish cream in the nose.

Mouthfeel is fine: not silky smooth, but not hard and watery.

Drinkability is, for me, not enough to go out and buy more, but enough to wait until I feel the need or craving again and the opportunity arrises.

Erdinger2003, May 01, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Let it sit. The warmer this beer gets the better. Fresh out of the fridge the smell and taste leave much to be desired. As it warms, malty notes of honey and hazelnut move to the forefront, however, not quite to the strength I'd desire. I enjoyed mine in a tulip glass. Not sure I'd purchase it again but worth the few dollars I spent at my local Trader Joe's.

bkgodfrey, Apr 10, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a dark brown with honeyish-gold notes and a very thin tan head, even with a moderately strong pour. Leaves no lacing, and the head almost immediately dissappears completely. Definitely a low carbonation in this beer.

Definitely smell the hazelnut in the smell - nutty, a little syrupy sweet, almost no hop prescence. Kind of bland, and a little bit fake smelling, which worries me because I know this beer has hazelnut flavoring added.

Ummm... whoa.. how to describe the flavor... it's like. like a syrupy, nutty Dr. Pepper. The more I think about that, the more I think Dr. Pepper as I drink this. Wow, very syrupy, very very fake tasting.

Almost no carbonation - nearly none at all. This is like a flat soda. It's got a medium body and a cleanish finish, but this really isn't like beer at all. It's like a strange soda.

I like Rogue well enough, but this beer is just too fake. Please, please don't add anything to your beers, especially not syrup. It kills the carbonation and makes this taste totally unlike beer.

Tupperwolf, Jan 12, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

A- Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white head. Head quickly turns into a layer of bubbles, has good retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Smells very sweet. Bready, caramel and toffee malts with a very strong hazelnut smell.

T- Taste is very sweet, toasted nutty and bread malts. Hazelnut taste comes through here. Overall, just too sweet for my liking.

M- Medium in body and a bit on the lower side of carbonation.

D- Just too sweet for me. I don't think I'll have this one again.

nrbw23, Dec 28, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured in a Guinness pint glass 22oz bottle

Dark brown brew with a head that did not last long ..Smells of hazelnut & coffee . This was bought to see if this would surpass my nutty love for the Coffeehouse Porter by The Berkshire Brewing Company . It did not . It is not bad but I would have liked a little more bite/ body to make me happy . Still it is a jolly good brew by Rogue . Will have again

Kudashov, Feb 02, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Apperance: Poured a clear dark brown, with some reddish hues. One finger head that doesn’t stick around very long; it reduces to a thin layer pretty quickly. No lacing at all.

Smell: Nose of strong bready/biscuity malts and smoky roasted nuts (maybe hazelnut?). Some sweetness is there, deep down, but much less prevalent than the other darker fragrances.

Taste: In a word, “nutty”. The same nuttiness found in the nose presents itself in the taste, overwhelming so. The nuts are strong up front, with sweet malts in the background. A hint of hops at the very end, but the nuttiness is still there lingering for a good while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodies and pretty smooth. A nice bit up front, and the taste lingers well.

Drinkability: An interesting take on a Brown Ale, but the nuttiness is completely overwhelming and just didn’t work with the style. Maybe if you like that sort of thing, this beer might work for you. I really can’t recommend this beer, and most likely will not try it again.

jonziefle, Apr 12, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into my pint glass.

A: Probably my favorite thing about this beer. Pours a nice dark brown color with an off white head that sticks around for a little bit.

S: Lots of sweet malt in the smell. Has a hazlenut smell too it.

T: This beers overwhelming sweetness was a little too much. I would of liked at least a little bite to it, which my taste buds where waiting for but never came.

M: Not bad but not really that nice. It doesn't turn me off to the beer but it does nothing to impress me. The feel is just kind of there with no real aspect to make itself stand out to me.

D: This beer leaves me not wanting another one. I don't think I could suggest this to a friend at all.

cproioi, Apr 25, 2006