Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,659 | Reviews: 1,374
2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a clear amber brown with a fluffy cream head.

S: Digging the extremely(!) nutty nose but a little nervous how it will taste in the context of a beer. It's nutty, like REALLY nutty.

T: Really, really strong hazelnut "nectar" taste. Like drinking pressed hazelnut juice with a bit of malt backbone and a slightly bitter hop finish. Really not sitting well on the palate.

M: Mouthfeel is a somewhat thin, thinner than I;d expect for a beer like this.

O: Overall the beer smelled good before tasting but after tasting the cloying hazelnut flavor became overbearing about four sips in. By 1/3 of the way through I found the unrelenting concentrated nut flavor to be somewhat nauseating. Sink poured the rest. Was expecting a lot more given the hype. Really seemed to lack subtlety in favor of "HEY WE PUT NUTS IN THIS BEER!" Would consider giving it another go but not anytime soon and not over $7 a bomber...

2.39/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours brown/black with a nice firm medium thick tan head that quickly fades.

Sweet black chocolate, maraschino cherry, hazelnut nose. Quite pleasant and smells like fresh baked goods.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and without character. A huge let down from the wonderful nose.

Flavors are simple, weak, watery and unappealing. Only hints of flavor, if any, beer has no character, no identity, no flavor and with not much of a finish other than simple yeast.

Yet another flop from what has to be the most overrated brewery in the country. I suspect that Rogue would be out of business if it didn't have such cool bottles! Just my opinion.

2.4/5  rDev -41%

2.44/5  rDev -40%

2.44/5  rDev -40%

Poured into an imperial pint glass that yielded no head or lacing. Clear, dark brown in color. Hazelnut and some dark malt with a bit of hops in the nose. Hazelnut and the prickley carbonation were the first two things I noticed in the first sip. I think the hazelnut was a little bit overdone because it was in the forefront with the maltiness, carbonation and hops battling to show up. Relatively moderate in body with a bit too much carbonation. Overall, not that impressed. Not bad but I don't think I will spend another $5.00 for another bottle.

2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Man, I wanted this beer to be better than what it was. After reading all of the reviews of this one, I was stoked to try this one myself so I went down to the local bottle store and grabbed one.

It poured just like everyone else said, nice brown color with a small tan head.

This beer smells wonderful. Very rich and nutty. You can definitely smell the hazelnut in this.

Goes downhill quickly here. I wonder if I got a bad bottle or something. This tastes exactly like a Bud Light or Coors Light or something. Is this flat? It has a nice head and smells great, but it tastes horrible. Very watery and flat, no nutty nuances or anything. Big time disappointed in this one. I will probably try this again in the future to give it a fair shake but at $5.99 for a 650 ml bottle, I expect some quality out of it.

I chose this over the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout next to it which I know is a solid choice so I'm bummed about that too.

Dang, I was hoping for more out of this.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Reminds me of syrupy flat coke. Thin mouth feel and weak flavors. Minimal hazelnut.

2.57/5  rDev -36.9%

Let it sit. The warmer this beer gets the better. Fresh out of the fridge the smell and taste leave much to be desired. As it warms, malty notes of honey and hazelnut move to the forefront, however, not quite to the strength I'd desire. I enjoyed mine in a tulip glass. Not sure I'd purchase it again but worth the few dollars I spent at my local Trader Joe's.

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance is a little lacking, but it still holds a little lacing and a crisp brown color.

The smell is very sweet and reminds me of a coffee, an irish cream splashed with a little mocha cocoa.

The taste is sweet with slight bitter cocoa with traces of irish cream in the nose.

Mouthfeel is fine: not silky smooth, but not hard and watery.

Drinkability is, for me, not enough to go out and buy more, but enough to wait until I feel the need or craving again and the opportunity arrises.

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a dark brown with honeyish-gold notes and a very thin tan head, even with a moderately strong pour. Leaves no lacing, and the head almost immediately dissappears completely. Definitely a low carbonation in this beer.

Definitely smell the hazelnut in the smell - nutty, a little syrupy sweet, almost no hop prescence. Kind of bland, and a little bit fake smelling, which worries me because I know this beer has hazelnut flavoring added.

Ummm... whoa.. how to describe the flavor... it's like. like a syrupy, nutty Dr. Pepper. The more I think about that, the more I think Dr. Pepper as I drink this. Wow, very syrupy, very very fake tasting.

Almost no carbonation - nearly none at all. This is like a flat soda. It's got a medium body and a cleanish finish, but this really isn't like beer at all. It's like a strange soda.

I like Rogue well enough, but this beer is just too fake. Please, please don't add anything to your beers, especially not syrup. It kills the carbonation and makes this taste totally unlike beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales