Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,807
2.97/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a dark, Guinness like reddish purple color. Lots of aromas swell the taste buds. A sort of fake hazelnut aroma with tons of toasted malts. Seems a bit too fake for me. And I love Rogue. Seems a bit overproduced for me. Not my favorite Rogue but not my worst. Iwould hope to find something a little less fake with hazelnut. Hows about you?!

Too sweet and fake to be drinkable. Feels like I am drinking some sweet ass coffee. Yuck. (438 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a nice brown with a thick head. I for the life of me can't detect any hazelnut smell at all. Although the taste is good for a brown ale I can't detect any hazelnut taste or flavor at all. Although it's highly rated here I'm not sure why. The big letdown for me is the lack of any hazelnut. (295 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed. (499 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

I've had this several times in mugs and pint glasses. Today's is in a pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking dark brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light trickling lacing stuck to the sides decently and slides after about a minute.
The smell had a cooked nutty caramel flavoring. Every time I've had it, I could never really tell if that was hazelnut specifically, but it has a definite nuttiness about it.
The taste was semi-roasty with a decent nutty and caramel flavoring running underneath. A light rolling nutty aftertaste starts and leads into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was good for the style and for me as it wasn't too sharp but mainly standard.
Overall, I say this was a decent American Brown Ale. I might have this again. (902 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

I actually had to review this beer because so many people loved it and I'm now wondering what I'm missing. First it poured a deep reddish brown, slighty murky. Moderate head retention with some nice lacing. Ok, it smelled good, really it did, I WANTED to like it. It smelled like a bakery, caramel, toasted nuts, all that good stuff. But the taste? eh. It was a bit one-dimensional for me. Definitely very heavily presented toasted nut and oat flavors. But something was off, like I was looking at the tap and THINKING hazelnut but really I was tasting some horrible nut extract with a heavy emphasis on walnut/pecan. Oh yeah, some vanilla and even a little cocoa. But I wanted it sweeter and more balanced. WAY more balanced. but hey, maybe it's just me. (755 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

650ml bottle. Pours a very dark red amber. Smells and tastes of hazelnut. Not bad, not great though. Easy to drink, but nothing special once again. After finishing the last of my bomber bottles of this, I grew more and more disappointed. Won't be buying this again. (265 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a lighter brown color with a billowy tan head. The head has big carbonation bubbles entrapped within. These pop slowly overtime and leave a very nice level of lacing.

Smell – Sweet aromas of brown sugar and molasses are quite strong. These are mixed with a malty breadlines and a hazelnut aroma. They all were in some ways not too complementary and instead seemed to be somewhat stale and artificial in nature.

Taste – A sweet brown sugar and roasted maltiness start the taste quite strong. These are soon meet with some of the hazelnut flavor and a sweeter molasses flavor that develop more toward the middle of the taste. The nuttiness intensifies as the taste advances more and is mixed with a lighter coffee flavor which dry the sweet flavor a bit at the end and leave a bitter sweet taste on the tongue which lingers a bit too long.

Mouthfeel –Creamier then the average brew with a very medium level of carbonation. The creaminess suits the malty flavors well, but the carbonation sort of takes away from the flavors.

Overall – It was an alright brew. The flavors weren’t the greatest as some seemed a little bit artificial and the bitter and the sweet did not seem to meld very well. (1,261 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the Rogue Public House in Eugene

A- Poured a dark brown with orange hues shining through, nice frothy head that left glass coating lace

S- Kinda stinks like a wet dog, a little musty, and a big aroma of old beer bread

T- Burnt toffee, concentrated caramel syrup, barley, little bit of nuttiness, and a big stale beer bread character

M- Very very smooth, prickly carbonation, dry

O- Great mouthfeel and some really good flavors, but also some off-flavors. The aroma on this beer was pretty foul too. If you have ever spilled beer on the carpet and waited too long to clean it up, that aroma comes through in the flavor and aroma, kind of stale, stinky beer character (708 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Reviewed 5-17-15. Water goblet. No date on bottle?

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, medium brown with 1/2 finger light tan head, which fades quickly. Lots of sediment left in the bottle. Some minor visible carbonation, little retention, no lacing.

Aroma: Whoa! Hazelnuts, sweet, honey. This is over the top nutty. I don't really care for hazelnuts, so this is quite noticeable to me.

Taste: Clean, mild arrival, slightly sweet across mid-palate - that's where the hazelnut starts - hazelnut through the finish. Slight bitterness at the end. Markedly sweeter as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Middle-midweight. Solid but not excessive carbonation. Not very slick.

Overall: A really excellent American brown ale, but for its trademark characteristic of hazelnuts. I'll pass, thanks the last beer I had containing nuts didn't really taste like nuts). Maybe Rogue makes another brown without hazelnuts? (903 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer was just not up my alley. The appearance was a amber brown clear with some head, little retention and not much lacing. It smells quite good, malty caramel, nutty, little orange blossom maybe.

Taste wise, though, it starts out sweet, nutty, with a taste of honey, but turns bitter more like an ESB than I would care to have with such a malty start. There is a little puckering of the tongue at this for mouthfeel, but overall it doesn't suit my tastes. (463 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

Yes it's good, but I wouldn't say great. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this Rogue didn't blow me away. The glass has a nice transparent brown hue and it doesn't smell like much of anything. The taste is enjoyable, but a little too sweet for my liking. The carbonation, color and flavor all resemble cola in a weird sort of way. I like cola so I enjoyed drinking it, but it's not the Rogue experience that I am used to. Is it REALLY 6.2% ABV? I would have guessed much lower (it is also available in South Carolina where we have a alcohol cap on beer at 6%... shhh. don't tell anybody). (596 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

For a brown ale, this beer was very good but, compared to other brown ales it was just ok.

Very plain taste with no hops or over pouring malt. A very good beer for a lager drinker to try on there way to IPAs or Pales.

The hazelnut is there but not overpowering and adds to the smooth taste of this beer.

Good starter beer for the novice ale drinker, but not for someone who enjoys hops. (389 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color. The head is a one finger light mocha shade featuring a good texture, but not much retention.

S: Strongly nutty - not just in terms of hazelnut, but other variants like almonds, walnuts, and pecans come through. Aromatically, it's pretty much just peanut butter-esque with not much else to give any other depth. But that one note? It's extremely inviting and enjoyable.

T: Much sweeter than the aroma, and veering dangerously to artificial in terms of how it comes off. The flavor profile is hazelnut...and that's about it. Decidedly one note, and that solitary note has flaws to it. I don't hate it by any stretch, though.

M: The general texture is kind of thin and even insubstantial. Despite that, there's a lot of coarse finishing astringency that comes off slightly clashing with the sweetness and limp body. Hell, it even manages to be both watery AND sugary in its finish. Only thing it does right here is ease of drinkability.

O: Not particularly likable aside from the aroma; I'm glad I only bought a single of these and wouldn't buy it again. Having said that, it's a good choice for hazelnut lovers - because let's face it, the flavor is nothing BUT that. If this and Frangelic Mountain Brown have taught me anything, it's that hazelnut beers give off great aromatic qualities...and not so great flavor profiles. (1,397 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

22oz bomber poured into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Opaque brown color. Very little carbonation and foamy white head with poor retention and lacing.

S- sweet malty character and hazelnut.

T- Roasty malt flavor and hazelnut definitely comes through. This beer is hindered from the fact that it is very flat. No date on the bottle so I cant tell if it is old, but it might be.

M- Very thin, little carbonation.

D- Easy drinking brown ale. Not high in alcohol or strong flavor, but flavor doesn't leave me wanting more. I actually thought I dumping out the rest of the bottle.

Notes: Judging from the high reviews this beer has gotten I am guessing I got an old bottle. Does anyone know when this beer is brewed so I can get a fresh bottle? (741 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar
22 oz "bomber" poured into a pint glass.

Pours a milky looking dark amber/light brown color with a moderate tan colored head. Medium head retention and lacing. Aroma is not remarkable or interesting. Pretty ho hum. Tastes (and looks) very different from what I expected... sharp and tart with a nutty finish and a long nutty aftertaste. Medium body, some residual sweetness, and high carbonation. A good but unremarkable beer with an odd acidity is the overall impression. The finish and the aftertaste are solid though.

4, 2, 3, 4, 4 (558 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany brown with amber edges around the top and bottom edges. Many lines of bubbles rise up from the bottom, pooling into the thin light tan cap that is left by the half-inch head. Gobs of sticky lacing coat the inside of the glass from the remnants of the head. Nose is full of very sweet smelling barley malts, along with a subtle, almost ephemeral undertone of hazelnut. Caramel is also evident with nuances of wheat and mocha. Not too much hoppiness.

It's light and malty through and through, from start to finish. There's a slight breadiness that comes through as the beer washes over your palate, followed by a light smattering of nuttiness and caramel. Hops make a very brief appearance on the back end as a fleeting bitterness as the brew leaves your tongue. Just a very mild tasting experience, on the whole. It was almost lager-like in nearly every aspect, especially the finish.. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, which is pretty disappointing. A little too much carbonation leaves the mouth somewhat dry.

Sweet beers are right up my alley, so I was looking forward to indulging in this beer. Unfortunately, it was quite a disappointment in almost every single way. The taste is far too mild to be truly enjoyable and it's just way too thin. Makes for easy enough drinking, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this brew any time soon. (1,415 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

I can't help but compare this ale to a hazlenut stout I recently had that was much better in all respects. This beer had a decent smell and taste of hazlenut but it soon becomes tedious to drink. The consistency just feels wrong since the thinness does little to back up the hazlenut flavor. I realize that a brown ale is supposed to be thinner than a stout but this beer just doesn't work with a thin body. Try J Wakefield Hazlenut Imperial Stout if you want a great beer with hazlenuts. (492 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown bomber with an oriental man holding up a mug of beer and some oriental characters. Label includes the ingredients, which all sound impressive. No fre3shness info.

Pours a clear cola brown under a two finger off white head that is quite think and fades quickly without leaving any lace. The nose is marvellous - strong and sweet of caramel and hazelnut. The mouth is quite prickly, light and clean. The taste is intense - nut and caramel, but more than a bit on the sugary sweet side. The taste reminds me of root beer. There is just the slightest hint of hops, but the finish is sweet, the aftertaste is sweet, the entire impression is sweet. Definitely disappointing. (677 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%

A - I was impressed when i poured the beer. nice brown dense color, almost going to dark red. Light head, didnt last to long.

S - not impressed at all. i was hoping a better kick of nutty essence. normal brown ale.

T - Roasted malt, with caramel. A light essence of nuts,(hazelnut? ). very simple flavor.

M - Clear, watery, light. very thin beer. light carbonation. easy to swallow and savory.

O - Good brown ale, but i was expecting more thanks the advertising behind the beer. I would try it again, but its not my favorite. (529 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I haven't typically been a huge fan of Rogue's beers, and their questionable business practices make me hesitant to buy their brews, but the ratings of this one were such that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a single 12 oz bottle for less than 2$. Swampy brown with some very light copper - some clarity, some haze. Soapy, beige head tames itself to a stretch-out film rather quickly... this one certainly isn't much to look at.

Lots and lots of sticky toffee on the nose... even more so than hazelnut, I think. In fact, there's really only a light hint of hazelnut that I'm getting in the back, and it's a bit artificial and not quite so "nutty", if that makes sense. Think Frangelic Mountain Brown, only far less potent. Seems like a bit of oxidation has plagued this bottle as well, as I'm getting some unwanted hints of wet, boxed cardboard. Not enough to ruin things completely, but not a good sign.

Hazelnut is a bit stronger on the palate, thankfully. I also get nice hints of cola, toffee, dry cocoa powder, and a stronger nutty character in the finish. It's kind of woodsy and earthy, too, and unfortunately, that oxidized cardboard is present in the finish. Again, not so much as to make this beer undrinkable, but enough to be a slight hinderance. Not as sweet as I was expecting, rather dry and nutty with only a mild malty sweetness throughout.

Hops are relatively low... well, basically nonexistent, actually. That's fine, though, as I don't think they'd add much here. The body doesn't quite match the flavors - I'd like things to be a bit thicker, but maybe I'm asking for too much from a 6.2% ABV brown ale. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. Even minus the oxidation, the flavors weren't working for me the way they seem to be for others. Would've liked a touch more hazelnut and a bit more sweetness. I'd like to try it again, unoxidized, but I won't be rushing to get another. (1,923 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Beer poured out a very nice deep brown, slightly hazy, with light head and lacing. Beer smelled nice and sweet, with some chocolate and hazelnut aromas. The taste was not quite what I was hoping for, sweet, with some malt and hazelnut. Mouthfeel was too syrupy, but perhaps that is to be expected with a "nectar," also seemed very flat. All in all, very average I thought, somewhat disappointed from Rogue which is usually so good. (431 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting (419 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Cloudy red-brown with a one finger off white head. Head disappeared to absolutely ZERO by the time I was near the end of my mug, with no lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, earthy, and a good amount of the hazelnut promised in the title.

T - Intial taste is an earthy malt, followed by a big blast of hazelnut. Very strange hop character comes through right at the end. I expected this to have more intense and complex flavors for a brown, with more roasted/toasted notes. It just wasnt there. Disappointing. Lastly, I dont feel the hazelnut taste worked well with the hops and other components.

M - Severly undercarbonated. Just kind of sits in your mouth, leaving a syrupy feel when swallowed.

O - I love brown ales, and was eager to try this, but overall I would have to say this is a misfire from Rogue. Lack of carbonation, off flavor combinations, and too much hazelnut (and not much else) left me scratching my head. I wont be buying this again. Give me a Breckenridge Mighty Brown or a DFH Indian Brown Ale anyday. (1,026 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Dark brown in colour with medium carbonation, but poor head retention. Strong malty aromas, along with the typical Rogue pacman yeasty touch and a bit of roasted malt. Initial flavors of munich malts and a bit of soft fruit give way to the more drying chocolate malt and nut flavors. I think it’s more sesame than hazelnut, but the nut element is definitely there. There’s a bit of a sour twang (not from infection) on the finish that I didn’t really like. A bit of a disappointment. (486 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a medium dark brown w/ a very thin caramel colored head that quickly disappears. Looks good- wish the head was a little better. Smell is that of Hazelnut, chocolate, malt. Taste is good, but it feels a little thin to me taste-wise, I'd like the body to be thicker. Not much aftertaste, it kind of just evaporates into nothingness. Drinkability is decent. Maybe I've been drinking too many big high ABV beers lately, but this one is just above average in my book. A good session beer. This is a good beer, and I'm glad I tried it. (535 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales