Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Man, I wanted this beer to be better than what it was. After reading all of the reviews of this one, I was stoked to try this one myself so I went down to the local bottle store and grabbed one.

It poured just like everyone else said, nice brown color with a small tan head.

This beer smells wonderful. Very rich and nutty. You can definitely smell the hazelnut in this.

Goes downhill quickly here. I wonder if I got a bad bottle or something. This tastes exactly like a Bud Light or Coors Light or something. Is this flat? It has a nice head and smells great, but it tastes horrible. Very watery and flat, no nutty nuances or anything. Big time disappointed in this one. I will probably try this again in the future to give it a fair shake but at $5.99 for a 650 ml bottle, I expect some quality out of it.

I chose this over the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout next to it which I know is a solid choice so I'm bummed about that too.

Dang, I was hoping for more out of this.

11-28-2007 22:18:15 | More by Tilley4
jlh8643

Indiana

2.4/5  rDev -41%

Poured into an imperial pint glass that yielded no head or lacing. Clear, dark brown in color. Hazelnut and some dark malt with a bit of hops in the nose. Hazelnut and the prickley carbonation were the first two things I noticed in the first sip. I think the hazelnut was a little bit overdone because it was in the forefront with the maltiness, carbonation and hops battling to show up. Relatively moderate in body with a bit too much carbonation. Overall, not that impressed. Not bad but I don't think I will spend another $5.00 for another bottle.

03-25-2005 00:30:06 | More by jlh8643

08-14-2012 18:24:00 | More by tdmccarthy
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance is a little lacking, but it still holds a little lacing and a crisp brown color.

The smell is very sweet and reminds me of a coffee, an irish cream splashed with a little mocha cocoa.

The taste is sweet with slight bitter cocoa with traces of irish cream in the nose.

Mouthfeel is fine: not silky smooth, but not hard and watery.

Drinkability is, for me, not enough to go out and buy more, but enough to wait until I feel the need or craving again and the opportunity arrises.

05-01-2006 00:44:09 | More by Erdinger2003
bkgodfrey

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Let it sit. The warmer this beer gets the better. Fresh out of the fridge the smell and taste leave much to be desired. As it warms, malty notes of honey and hazelnut move to the forefront, however, not quite to the strength I'd desire. I enjoyed mine in a tulip glass. Not sure I'd purchase it again but worth the few dollars I spent at my local Trader Joe's.

04-10-2012 03:00:35 | More by bkgodfrey
Tupperwolf

Washington

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a dark brown with honeyish-gold notes and a very thin tan head, even with a moderately strong pour. Leaves no lacing, and the head almost immediately dissappears completely. Definitely a low carbonation in this beer.

Definitely smell the hazelnut in the smell - nutty, a little syrupy sweet, almost no hop prescence. Kind of bland, and a little bit fake smelling, which worries me because I know this beer has hazelnut flavoring added.

Ummm... whoa.. how to describe the flavor... it's like. like a syrupy, nutty Dr. Pepper. The more I think about that, the more I think Dr. Pepper as I drink this. Wow, very syrupy, very very fake tasting.

Almost no carbonation - nearly none at all. This is like a flat soda. It's got a medium body and a cleanish finish, but this really isn't like beer at all. It's like a strange soda.

I like Rogue well enough, but this beer is just too fake. Please, please don't add anything to your beers, especially not syrup. It kills the carbonation and makes this taste totally unlike beer.

01-12-2006 09:39:22 | More by Tupperwolf
nrbw23

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

A- Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white head. Head quickly turns into a layer of bubbles, has good retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Smells very sweet. Bready, caramel and toffee malts with a very strong hazelnut smell.

T- Taste is very sweet, toasted nutty and bread malts. Hazelnut taste comes through here. Overall, just too sweet for my liking.

M- Medium in body and a bit on the lower side of carbonation.

D- Just too sweet for me. I don't think I'll have this one again.

12-28-2010 21:50:08 | More by nrbw23
Kudashov

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured in a Guinness pint glass 22oz bottle

Dark brown brew with a head that did not last long ..Smells of hazelnut & coffee . This was bought to see if this would surpass my nutty love for the Coffeehouse Porter by The Berkshire Brewing Company . It did not . It is not bad but I would have liked a little more bite/ body to make me happy . Still it is a jolly good brew by Rogue . Will have again

02-02-2007 19:54:22 | More by Kudashov
jonziefle

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Apperance: Poured a clear dark brown, with some reddish hues. One finger head that doesn’t stick around very long; it reduces to a thin layer pretty quickly. No lacing at all.

Smell: Nose of strong bready/biscuity malts and smoky roasted nuts (maybe hazelnut?). Some sweetness is there, deep down, but much less prevalent than the other darker fragrances.

Taste: In a word, “nutty”. The same nuttiness found in the nose presents itself in the taste, overwhelming so. The nuts are strong up front, with sweet malts in the background. A hint of hops at the very end, but the nuttiness is still there lingering for a good while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodies and pretty smooth. A nice bit up front, and the taste lingers well.

Drinkability: An interesting take on a Brown Ale, but the nuttiness is completely overwhelming and just didn’t work with the style. Maybe if you like that sort of thing, this beer might work for you. I really can’t recommend this beer, and most likely will not try it again.

04-12-2009 01:24:42 | More by jonziefle
cproioi

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into my pint glass.

A: Probably my favorite thing about this beer. Pours a nice dark brown color with an off white head that sticks around for a little bit.

S: Lots of sweet malt in the smell. Has a hazlenut smell too it.

T: This beers overwhelming sweetness was a little too much. I would of liked at least a little bite to it, which my taste buds where waiting for but never came.

M: Not bad but not really that nice. It doesn't turn me off to the beer but it does nothing to impress me. The feel is just kind of there with no real aspect to make itself stand out to me.

D: This beer leaves me not wanting another one. I don't think I could suggest this to a friend at all.

04-25-2006 19:28:02 | More by cproioi
GitcheGumee

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I have tried this beer.

Appearance: It has a a very deep amber color to it. It looks quite nice in the glass. The beer has minimal head. A small amount gathered at the top of the glass, and settled quickly. This isn't what I picture a brown ale to look like, but it does have a nice appearance.

Smell: The beer has strong roasted malt scent. I did detect the hazelnut, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The first sip caught me a little off guard. This beer is much sweeter than I expectedl. It finishes with a nice roasted taste, which I liked. The sweetness negatively affected this beer for me. The hazelnut was very prominent, which was expected, but I guess I just don't like hazelnut in my beer. The 6.2% ABV is very well hidden...little to no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: This beer felt very thin and watery. This is not what I expect in a brown ale. There wasn't very much carbonation, which accentuated the watery feel. Not much good going on in this department.

Drinkability: I could see myself buying a bomber of this once (maximum) per year. I can't say the beer is bad, but the sweetness, thin, watery aspects leave a little to be desired. One bomber was enough.

10-19-2009 02:06:56 | More by GitcheGumee
JackTheRipper

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

22 Oz. bomber. Bought this one fresh, going to have to try this one again some time

A: Pours a clear brown color. Smallish head sans lacing.

S: I like to go fishing. I've spent many many years doing it. This beer smells like Lake Wilhelm. The (I'll officially name it here) Wilhelm smell tends to overwhelm everything else. Faint nutty smells. No hoppy aroma to speak of. WTF went wrong here?

T: Nice malty flavors. Hints of the hazelnut come late in the tasting.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Alcohol feels about right for the stated ABV%.

D&N: Nothing special here. I'll give this beer another go in a few months. The Wilhelm smell is just creeping me out. Shame to say, but the rest of the bottle in the fridge has a date with the sink.

07-16-2005 13:44:15 | More by JackTheRipper
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

From a 22oz bomber.
Poured a nice shiny brown, with good 1 1/2 finger head. But the head was gone before I sat down, no lacing, no nothing. I was confused.
Smell of sweet malt, some caramel, maple and brown sugar.
Taste was sweet. Mostly maple and some hazelnut; tones of walnut and caramel. No hops to speak of.
An oily feeling. Thin. Smooth, yet sweet.
Can't drink this again. Nothing there to hang my hat on. From Rogue? Hmm...maybe this was a bad bottle.

10-11-2006 23:36:52 | More by Mebuzzard