2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,890 | Reviews: 1,311 | Show All Ratings:
Hoptometrist

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the Rogue Public House in Eugene

A- Poured a dark brown with orange hues shining through, nice frothy head that left glass coating lace

S- Kinda stinks like a wet dog, a little musty, and a big aroma of old beer bread

T- Burnt toffee, concentrated caramel syrup, barley, little bit of nuttiness, and a big stale beer bread character

M- Very very smooth, prickly carbonation, dry

O- Great mouthfeel and some really good flavors, but also some off-flavors. The aroma on this beer was pretty foul too. If you have ever spilled beer on the carpet and waited too long to clean it up, that aroma comes through in the flavor and aroma, kind of stale, stinky beer character

09-07-2012 01:12:24 | More by Hoptometrist
tectactoe

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

I haven't typically been a huge fan of Rogue's beers, and their questionable business practices make me hesitant to buy their brews, but the ratings of this one were such that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a single 12 oz bottle for less than 2$. Swampy brown with some very light copper - some clarity, some haze. Soapy, beige head tames itself to a stretch-out film rather quickly... this one certainly isn't much to look at.

Lots and lots of sticky toffee on the nose... even more so than hazelnut, I think. In fact, there's really only a light hint of hazelnut that I'm getting in the back, and it's a bit artificial and not quite so "nutty", if that makes sense. Think Frangelic Mountain Brown, only far less potent. Seems like a bit of oxidation has plagued this bottle as well, as I'm getting some unwanted hints of wet, boxed cardboard. Not enough to ruin things completely, but not a good sign.

Hazelnut is a bit stronger on the palate, thankfully. I also get nice hints of cola, toffee, dry cocoa powder, and a stronger nutty character in the finish. It's kind of woodsy and earthy, too, and unfortunately, that oxidized cardboard is present in the finish. Again, not so much as to make this beer undrinkable, but enough to be a slight hinderance. Not as sweet as I was expecting, rather dry and nutty with only a mild malty sweetness throughout.

Hops are relatively low... well, basically nonexistent, actually. That's fine, though, as I don't think they'd add much here. The body doesn't quite match the flavors - I'd like things to be a bit thicker, but maybe I'm asking for too much from a 6.2% ABV brown ale. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. Even minus the oxidation, the flavors weren't working for me the way they seem to be for others. Would've liked a touch more hazelnut and a bit more sweetness. I'd like to try it again, unoxidized, but I won't be rushing to get another.

08-25-2013 19:38:01 | More by tectactoe
xk6m6m5x

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting

07-13-2013 00:09:54 | More by xk6m6m5x
jayhawk73

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a medium dark brown w/ a very thin caramel colored head that quickly disappears. Looks good- wish the head was a little better. Smell is that of Hazelnut, chocolate, malt. Taste is good, but it feels a little thin to me taste-wise, I'd like the body to be thicker. Not much aftertaste, it kind of just evaporates into nothingness. Drinkability is decent. Maybe I've been drinking too many big high ABV beers lately, but this one is just above average in my book. A good session beer. This is a good beer, and I'm glad I tried it.

03-09-2011 00:57:55 | More by jayhawk73
tewaris

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar
22 oz "bomber" poured into a pint glass.

Pours a milky looking dark amber/light brown color with a moderate tan colored head. Medium head retention and lacing. Aroma is not remarkable or interesting. Pretty ho hum. Tastes (and looks) very different from what I expected... sharp and tart with a nutty finish and a long nutty aftertaste. Medium body, some residual sweetness, and high carbonation. A good but unremarkable beer with an odd acidity is the overall impression. The finish and the aftertaste are solid though.

4, 2, 3, 4, 4

01-25-2012 07:19:22 | More by tewaris
clvand0

Kentucky

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Saw the Morimotos thinking they were different from the normal Rogues, but they aren't. Regardless, I've not had the normal Hazelnut. Pours a dark amber color with a small, thick head that sticks around for quite some time. I could not find the hazelnut in the aroma, but I did find some chocolate hints along with some sweet malts. The flavor really showed the hazelnut much better than the aroma. Other flavors were chocolate and roasted malt. The mouthfeel was a little thin and bitter, but a fairly decent beer overall. There are other offerings from Rogue that I will probably try again before this one.

10-28-2003 21:35:53 | More by clvand0
Weissenheimer

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A vigorous pour yields a small, pretty, foamy tan head wihch immediately dimples its way down to a thin froth and leaves very little lacing. The color is a not-quite-opaque dark brown which brings Ubu to mind. And yes, it smells strongly of hazelnuts.

The first stage is smooth, creamy, and sweet. The second stage kicks in very quickly, with lots of tingly stuff going on at the tip of my tongue which reminds me of those salty/bitter/sweet candies. My initial reaction to the first two stages is "Wow! Perky!" The hazelnut flavor really comes on strong in the second stage, and it sticks around as the flavor migrates to the back of my tongue while transforming into the somewhat bitter finish.

My reaction to this beer vacillates between "interesting" and "gimmicky". By the time I'm finished I'm leaning pretty heavily toward "gimmicky". The sweetness is nearly bludgeoning in its intensity; the sourness is actually necessary to counteract it! It's certainly interesting enough to be worth a try, but I doubt I'll be coming back to it.

12-03-2003 17:13:43 | More by Weissenheimer
johnnydollar

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Yes it's good, but I wouldn't say great. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this Rogue didn't blow me away. The glass has a nice transparent brown hue and it doesn't smell like much of anything. The taste is enjoyable, but a little too sweet for my liking. The carbonation, color and flavor all resemble cola in a weird sort of way. I like cola so I enjoyed drinking it, but it's not the Rogue experience that I am used to. Is it REALLY 6.2% ABV? I would have guessed much lower (it is also available in South Carolina where we have a alcohol cap on beer at 6%... shhh. don't tell anybody).

04-03-2007 02:57:16 | More by johnnydollar
ElGrecoVerde

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Very ambitious beer, but not exactly to my liking.

It looked great, and smell sweet but under control. However, I felt the sweet vanilla and hazelnut flavors get a bit too loose in the taste. At first, there's nothing, then it all hits you at once. The toasted, nutty flavors are all nice, just a little too sweet for me.

Motuhfeel is great, smooth and crisp. But it's a hard one to keep drinking.

04-16-2008 16:47:09 | More by ElGrecoVerde
biophiliadude

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale.

11-23-2009 03:29:31 | More by biophiliadude
DefenCorps

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I split this with a couple of friends today.

Pouring dark brown with a thin, brown head that recedes to a ring rather quick. This is decent. The nose is just a little disappointing. Caramel and some brown sugar are noticeable, but what jumps right out are soggy corn flakes (unsweetened). Initially, the hazelnut is REALLY strong, but it gently fades, bringing a some of balance. The palate opens lightly sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and quite a bit of hazelnut flavor. Again, I get a strange soggy cereal flavor, rather off-putting. Mildly sweet on the finish, this is medium-light in body and has moderate carbonation. I don't know if this bottle is off, but this isn't all that enjoyable.

11-05-2010 02:57:44 | More by DefenCorps
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A - Cloudy red-brown with a one finger off white head. Head disappeared to absolutely ZERO by the time I was near the end of my mug, with no lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, earthy, and a good amount of the hazelnut promised in the title.

T - Intial taste is an earthy malt, followed by a big blast of hazelnut. Very strange hop character comes through right at the end. I expected this to have more intense and complex flavors for a brown, with more roasted/toasted notes. It just wasnt there. Disappointing. Lastly, I dont feel the hazelnut taste worked well with the hops and other components.

M - Severly undercarbonated. Just kind of sits in your mouth, leaving a syrupy feel when swallowed.

O - I love brown ales, and was eager to try this, but overall I would have to say this is a misfire from Rogue. Lack of carbonation, off flavor combinations, and too much hazelnut (and not much else) left me scratching my head. I wont be buying this again. Give me a Breckenridge Mighty Brown or a DFH Indian Brown Ale anyday.

12-06-2011 02:31:09 | More by TempeBeerMan
Bendurgin

Maine

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours chestnut brown with a cap of white head and some thin lace.

The aroma is not surprisingly full of hazelnut. A little bit of citrus in the background with some brown sugar in the background. Hazelnut flavors with some brown sugar. Seems to have an odd twange on the finish. I don't really know how to describe it.

The body is light with good carbonation. Overall not bad. I was excited to see this in six packs. But lets be honest here, I'm still going to pass.

02-15-2012 01:38:05 | More by Bendurgin
Vixie

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a nice ruby red with a bit of a tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell is on the sweet side, the malt notes kick in first, then a bit of a candy like sweetness.

Taste is very much on the sweet side, but not overly so. There is a nuttiness there, and the sweetness is a bit different from the typical malt sweetness, maybe from the hazelnuts.

Feel is fairly standard for the style, no complaints here.

Overall a decent beer, but not a standout. It goes down very easy, and would be nice on a hot day, I would juts like a bit more fullness in the flavor. Worth a try, a nice variation on a brown ale.

06-02-2012 20:37:47 | More by Vixie
cokes

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.
Nicely nutty and toasty for a brown ale, but the seemingly artifical (and overpowering) hazelnut extract really impedes this brew. More fake vanilla than anything. It does not taste bad, it just tastes forced. A subtler approach may yeild better results.
Smooth and creamy in the mouth. But I can't get over the cream soda comparisons.
This is alright as a change of pace, but the bomber was too much for me. It just got too sweet and fake tasting.

08-19-2002 23:55:59 | More by cokes
JDV

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Maroon brown pour with a light tan head. Slightly transluscent but hazy. Smell is definitely big on hazlenuts with a lot of sweetness, and milkiness coming in as well. Smells like the hazlenut coffee creamers. Nice slightly thick body on the beer, smooth, and sweet nuttiness. Perhaps a bit overly sweet, but the big nutty flavor was welcomed. Nice for a brown, and pretty easy drinking.

02-24-2008 18:46:37 | More by JDV
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

A - clear copper with a thick and dense foam.

S - Nutty with hazelnuts, bready and some fruit. Light toastedness.

T - Some hazelnut, but not as intense as expected. Bitterness is fairly hight and some fruitiness shows through. Strongly malty. Hints of coffee.

M - On the lighter side with a sharp carbonation.

D - Odd tasting combination. It's ok, but not something I would recommend.

10-27-2008 16:27:30 | More by allergictomacros
Anthony1

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.

08-09-2010 17:09:43 | More by Anthony1
Nerudamann

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - dark brown in color, hazy, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - surprisingly not much of a smell at all. If I strain really hard I can tell that there's a hazelnut tinge to it, but that's about it.

Taste - at first it's more of a malty ale taste, but then right after the start the hazelnut flavor kicks in, which permeates into the finish and aftertaste a bit. Bitter aftertaste in general.

Mouthfeel - pretty well balanced overall, doesn't seem to lean more or less on the watery or creamy sides.

Overall - not a bad brew...tastes a bit like coffee. Not very interesting to think about though.

03-31-2012 03:37:54 | More by Nerudamann
far333

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Very nice dark brown color, but where's the head? It's nowhere to be seen. Great aroma of vanilla and chocolate, and hints of coffee, but I'm not getting hazelnut, nor any hops. Flavor closely matches, but also has a hint of marshmallow. Overall the flavor is too sweet, and the mouthfeel is decidedly slick and oily with low carbonation. The body of the beer is not appealing to me. I would not choose this one again.

05-04-2003 06:42:41 | More by far333
doughanson78

Washington

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium to dark brown, maybe dark amber color. Pretty hazy. Only about a 1/2 finger tan head that goes away quickly, but still leaves nice lacing.

S: Just like a hazelnut coffee creamer. Some caramel, honey, and syrup. Very nutty aroma.

T: Nutty. Sweet. Caramel. Some light vanilla. Honey and coffee towards the end. The flavors don't blend all that great. You can even taste the water.

M: Way to thin. Not much else going on in the mouth except for thinness.

O: If this beer was thicker it may have added to the flavor profile. But I believe the consistency peels the flavors apart.

07-17-2011 20:39:10 | More by doughanson78
Frozensoul327

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

I wasn't overly impressed by this brew. Pours out to a medium dark brown color with a small head of foam. No lace. Aromas of nuts, light malts, vanilla. Taste wasn't all that great for me. Some nuttiness was overturned on the palate with an array of flavors; vanilla bean, herbs, caramel, touches of leather. Too much going on, and not enough standing out. Mouthfeel was typical for a Brown Ale, rather calm with some syrupy element about itself. Fair drinkability. Worth a try.

03-05-2006 23:05:40 | More by Frozensoul327
circus_cat

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Brown with reddish amber notes around the edges. In a tulip glass, I got about two fingers of khaki marshmallow head. Dissipates at a medium rate, leaving a little lacing.

S: Hazelnut, baked bread, malts malts malts. I'm also getting a little bit of a tootsie roll smell on the end. After a second smell, I'm getting honey as well. A touch of brown sugar

T: BIG hazelnut with lots of malts. I'm still getting something through the middle that tastes like a tootsie roll or the hard candy part of a chocolate tootsie pop. It's feeling maltier and maltier as it warms and brown sugar is coming through. It could be bolder.

M: Yikes, y'all. This is really really watery. It's smooth, low carbonation, drinkable but SO thin-bodied in my opinion. Man, I wish there were more to this beer because it has such good potential.

O: Maybe it's just my palate because this beer got really good reviews, and I DO really enjoy the aroma and flavor but I just think this beer would be great if it were bold all-around. I wish it had all of the nose, taste, and mouthfeel except intensified a lot. That said, brown ales and stouts are kind of mah thang. I recently had DFH Palo Santo & Indian Brown which are both HUMONGOUS browns in body, flavor, aroma (and booze)..I would almost call palo santo a stout--so I might just still be in a different element. But yeah, this just needs some thickening.

07-24-2012 00:18:27 | More by circus_cat
APetitfils

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

A: It has a dark red and brown when in direct light, which deepens in color when not in direct light resembling an almost red wine-like appearance. Has a clear consistency with a beige head that retains well.

S: A definite nutty smell that is blended with malt. There is a slight sweet smell that I couldn't wrangle though..

T: A nice roasted malt flavors that make me have to give praise to the name. The hazelnut plays through pretty plainly and you don't have to stress yourself to taste it. There are other components such as coffee, chocolate (lighter than dark), some hops, alcohol, and a slight sweet and acidic signature.

M: Much lighter than I expected. Smooth, somewhat oily, with light hints of carbonation. Nice crispness and bitterness at the end.

D: This is definitely a nut brown and has qualities that make it unique and worth trying. The flavors really open up, and I would recommend allowing them to do so because the get much better.

03-02-2010 03:10:20 | More by APetitfils
andyfrancis

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Almost more of a deep ruby red than brown. Head reduced pretty quickly, but is lingering on the edges, with a nice skim.

Definitely smells of the hazelnut. Almost overwhelmingly so. Faint chocolate notes, roasty, almost burnt. I'm not really excited about drinking it at this point.

Hmmm. It is tasty, but almost tastes like frangelico light. If you like hazelnut, you'll love it.

Feels a bit syrupy, taste definitely stays with you.

Fo me, this would work as a dessert beer or night cap, but otherwise the flavor is a bit too much.

05-25-2010 19:34:06 | More by andyfrancis