Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,813
4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Dark and nutty. Red and brown with a big yellow rimmed head that sits for a bit.

S - Most nutty amazing smell thick aromas including some coffee and caramel

T - Clean and clear and then the nut follows. Expected it to be thicker and tastes a little watered down. With that said, I would drink this over a Newcastle anyday. Rogue is the go-to place right now for craft done mass.

M - Beer. Nothing more nothing less really.

D - All night and all day (456 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Ah I had been waiting and waiting to finally taste this beer, the wait is over!

Poured in a pint glass

A- Lovely chocolate color with some mahogany overtones

S- Beautiful coffee, brown sugar, sweet smell. This was amazing, although I didn't smell the hazelnut, it was very sweet (I should mention this was my dessert, so it ended up perfect)

T- Nice roasted, toasted coffee and brown sugar flavor, incredibly similar to the smell. Though I did taste the nuttiness it tasted more like roasted almonds than hazelnuts, but still very delicious. A bit dry as well as alcoholic to balance the incredible sweetness.

M- Here's where I got a bit hung-up, though it was smooth, it seemed a bit sticky and heavy.

D- Love, love, love this beer, but I could only drink it occasionally as it's very heavy on the palate. If I got another of these I'd like to have someone around to drink it with to make sure it would be appreciated (and finished!) (940 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

22 oz bottle on 1-12-2009

awesome appearance with a toasted nut and woodsy character to the nose

similar taste with a slight malty characteristic, the hop notes don't come thru till the back of the mouth and follows through smoothly

me and my g/f are rogue nation members, we go there everytime we are in portland international airport, in downtown at the public house and cant wait to go to newport, OR to get it at the source!

rogue nation! (446 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Something tastes like vanilla extract towards the end. A tad too sweet and could use a little more carbonation. Now that I'm done nitpicking have to say this is a great beer. I think most beer lovers of any style could appreciate this one. You could drink this year round. At $14 for a six pack it's pretty steep but I'll definately be buying this again. Easily one of my favorite beers now. (391 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

The beer is gorgeous. One could probably enjoy it without drinking it...but I don't recommend that kind of alcohol abuse.
The creamy thick head and deep brown body truly is a work of beer art. The smell is rich and nutty with hints of toffee and a slight alcohol bite. The taste is smooth and nutty with yet more hints of caramel and shares many characteristics of hazelnut flavored coffee. The finish is remarkably clean. The aftertaste has a bit of bitterness and slight alcohol that leaves the palate clean and ready for more. (530 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this last night while out at a local pizza joint with a buddy. The pour was a nice imperial pint very thin light colored head, nice lacing on the glass as it was drank though. Very nice deep reddish brown color and very clear. The nose on this beer isn't complex at all, mostly malt sweetness no real hop aroma. The flavor of this beer is also toward the sweet side no real hop flavor or bitterness only enough to balance out the malt. Mouthfeel for this right where it should be not thin but not think either. All in all a real nice totally drinkable beer that you could sit and have a few pints of. I will be drinking this again. (635 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice dark brown appearance. A little dull and metallic on the nose. Pick up on the hazlenut and an almost milky sweetness. Taste is a nice balance of caramel, hazelnut, and slight coffee. This beer was pretty good and definitely one of the better brown ales I've had. Creamy and easy drinking. Reminded me a bit of a milk stout in certain ways. Maybe a bit thin. Could've been bolder with the hazelnut. (402 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Poured dark brown with a minimal light head the subsided rather quickly

S - Definitely hazelnut and chocolate I was rather suprised that it came through as well as it did

T - More of toffee than the smell eludes however hazelnut and chocolate do round out the finish

M - A good nectar feel true to style

D - Very drinkable nectar if you are looking for this type of brew. It wasnt over powering at all smooth, chocolate and hazelnut treat (454 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Bought a 22 oz. bottle from the store. It poured a nice rich brown with a creamy head that did not last long. The nutty smell hit me right away. This beer had rich nutty tasty that was also slightly creamy. I could easily drink a few more of these and am now wishing I bought atleast one more bottle.

I highly recommend this to those who haven't tried it. It's become one of my favorites. (389 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

God this guy is delicous. I used to drink the hell out of some newcastle but once i discovered this kid i haven't had one since. Definitely my favorite brown ale i have ever had. It goes down smooth and fast. The only real problem is that they only sell 22-ounce bottles and not six-packs. Hopefully this will change in the future. (331 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Nectar might be the exact word I would use in describing this beer. A chocolatey, maple syrup, "nectar" that tastes very similar to a Porter. Head definitely follows the two-finger rule and shows a brownish-yellow color. Appearance in the glass in dark brown and lovely looking. The taste is great. Maple, chocolate, and hazelnut with a sweet coffee tasting finish and after taste. It is very smooth and easy to drink. My only problem would be drinking a lot of this beer. It is very rich and a little too sweet. However, I am drinking a 22 oz bottle and it is just what the doctor ordered! I couldn't choke down much of this beer because it is soooo thick. Very good beer though. (680 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Purchased at Top's Liquor in Tempe for $5.49. Poured a bomber into a big red wine glass.

Color is dark brown with an off-white to tan head. Little lacing (but is sometimes a problem in my wine glass).

Smell of chocolate and hazelnut. Taste of chocolate malts with a toasty aftertaste. Some caramel? Effervescent on the tongue and medium bodied.

Overall, I really liked this and will buy it again and again. (409 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Beautiful huge fluffy 2 inch light tan head, dies down semi-quickly but leaves quite a bit of foam on the glass on it's way down. Lacing is really just foam so far, but lots of it. Amber resin colored, held up to light it's stop light red. Kinda hazy, but not much visable carbonation at all.

Guy on the bottle looks like Mike Mogis. Very cool.

S - Sweet and creamy. Hazelnut monin syrup. Malty malt.

T - Hazelnut for sure. I used to be a Barista at a coffee shop, and it tastes like the hazelnut syrup we used for lattes, only better. Milk Chocolate, roasty malt, subtle chickory undertones. Hoppy sourness in the background.

M - Super creamy. Super smooth. Barely any prickle, which suits it nicely.

D/Overall - It's a great beer for sure, but I couldn't do it too often. I'm a hazelnut freak, and I seek out hazelnut ingredients in everything I consume, but this is too sweet to drink all the time. Don't get me wrong, the sweetness is very well balanced and I enjoy it thoroughly, but I'm afraid it could get old over time. Still, this is a great beer for special occasions and entertaining. (1,134 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass

A - Deep mahogany and woody brown with minimal head and almost no lacing.

S - Tons of hazelnut, coffee, and toasted grains. Highly inviting.

T - Begins with plenty of nuttiness and roasted malts. An avalanche of crunchy hazelnut envelops the palate, followed by chocolate and some more coffee. Finishes smooth and clean, without much lingering flavor.

M - This is super smooth, with little to no aftertaste.

D - Goes down really easy, and before you know it, the bomber is gone.

This might be one of my favorite accessible brown ales of all time. With each and every sip, I just crave more until the bottle is finished. Great value and great taste for sure. (704 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3%

This was a great beer! enjoyable to lok at in the glass and taste all the way through! Good beer to share with other looking for a unique nutty brown ale! Plenty of smiles everytime it was tasted and shared! Highly recommended as a sit down and enjoy beer!!! (258 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

WOW!!! The deep-brown color with its smooth tan head make you want to drink this beer. Then the hazelnut and chocolate aromas hit the nose and only the strong of heart can resist. Tasting the beer is truly a religous experience, hazlenut, chocolate, coffee, brown ale...paradise. The only negative is that the beer body is a little thin for the style. Otherwise, find it and treat yourself to one of the very best. Buy two, one to savour the other to quaff quickly as your senses will beg it. (498 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

I picked up a bomber of this at Galeville Grocery in Liverpool.

The flavor of this beer is unreal. Sweet malt, sugary, vanilla, caramel and all things delicious. I don't normally like brown ales but this is probably the tastiest beer I've ever had. (249 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

If you want to drink a nutty beer, this is it. This has got some serious NUT!

a: nice dark brown appearance, with very little head

s: the smell did it for me, it was nutty and delicious

t: tastes just like it smells, almost a disappointment based on the exceptional nose

m: again, very good taste, just like the smell

d: i could have drank a few of the larger bottles before getting gutfucked!

A great nutty beer! (419 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has been tried and tested for many years, and I think I only add to praise when I write about this being one of my favorite beers. The beer is dark, but has a lighter tone to the tastebuds. It's smooth, malty and carries a light hazlenutty flavor that tastes great every time.
Sitting in the Portland airport after a visit with my brother, I felt blessed to have a delay and a Rogue bar by my gate. I enjoyed a tall glass of this nectar and decided to get a growler to take home on the plane. I've always enjoyed this particular brew, but that moment at PDX solidified it as a favorite as th beer and I merrily bonded. (629 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance - Dark amber, light tan creamy head with nice retention.

Smell - Vanilla, hazelnut, cocoa dominate the aroma with some caramel in the background.

Taste - Flavor follows the aroma with a rich, hazelnut character and caramel malt. A very slight amount of the bitterness keeps it from being too sweet and keeps you wanting more. Tastes almost like a root beer float, delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation but fitting for the style, very smooth and weighs nicely on the palate.

Overall - An amazing twist on a brown ale, you could down more than a few of these. (591 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was really looking forward to trying this. Thank God, it was already chilled so I didn't have to wait at home. It poured an attractive brown with a decent head but nothing amzing. When I smelled it I cought something that I thought for sure was soy sauce, it might have been the marraige of the hops and the hazelnut, I don't know, but that's just what I smelled. When I tasted it though it was absolutely awesome! So was the mouthfeel. This is a beer I could drink a lot of. Hopefull they will put this in sixers (I've only seen the big 22 oz bottles). I definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Domo arigato Morimotosan! (625 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

Pours dark reddish brown, kind of a caramel like color. Thick creamy head is tan in color. Head does not last long. Lacing on the glass is minimal.

The aroma is extremely malty and nutty. I can't really smell any hops over the breadiness of this one. It really makes me think of a can of nuts, which is not a bad thing.

Body is light and carbonation is medium. Initial taste is sweet, followed by breadiness. Aftertaste is a very nice malty flavor, which doesn't last long. Not much bitterness to this beer.

Drinkability is excellent! It goes down very easy, does not taste very alcoholic at all. The flavor is just complex enough to keep you interested, but easy enough to slam a pint at the same time. This is the third or fourth time I've had this beer, and it is quickly becoming one of my staples. (848 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from that stylish brown bottle into a 22oz wine glass.

A - Nice dark mahogany colour. The kind of colour I'd like my floors to be. Good head formation with nice tight bubbles that sticks around for awhile until receding into a cap any sailor could be proud of. This is pretty beer.

S - Oh look Hazelnuts! But unfortunately it doesn't smell like hazelnuts it smells like hazelnut syrup. As in artificial. I picked up some other notes in there, but it was mainly hazelnut syrup.

T - Damn, there's a really good beer in there somewhere. It's hard for me to get past the hazelnut. Contrary to what Beers like Peche Mortel and Young's Double Chocolate stout have achieved by blending the flavours, however bold, to create a clearly defined palate, this beer seem dichotomous. There's a really nice Brown Ale I taste, and then there's a Hazelnut syrup. The flavours to be seem to be competitive rather than cooperative. It's hard to decide whether thats good or not because it's a tasty beer. I found it distracting.

M - Medium bodied and solid. Good level of carbonation for me. I found it very smooth and a little creamy.

D - The hazelnut was cloying by the end of the bottle for me. I usually don't think much of this category, but in this case there was something that really detracted towards the end. Not enough to bring down the flavour score, but enough to prevent a second bottle.

Notes: I think my review might come off harsher than intended. It just felt to me like the Hazelnut flavour was not well integrated into the profile, but the Brown Ale was solid, and the Hazelnut does taste nice for 7/8ths of it.

The only other issue I have with this beer is it's price. If it was something truly special, sure, I can see $6.15 for 650ml. When I can get La Fin Du Monde or Maudite for $5.40 for 750ml, I'm having a hard time making that choice. (1,864 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

I was a bit skeptical, at the concept here, thought that the hazelnut was going to be overpowering. Boy! Did they prove me wrong!

A- it pours a redish, brown, copper, think maple syrup. Beautiful, delicious, two-finger head, nice lacing.

S- this was amazing you can smell it right when you open it .
Even other people in the room, turned there heads and asked what smelled sooo good. Very hazelnut, maple, fragrance. Toasted grains come through too. Something sweet too, almost molasses. Great!

T- as big as the smell was the taste is much more subtle. The hazelnut is definitely there. If your looking for hops, probably not your beer, but this is a malt persons dream. Smooth, very smooth beer. Sweet finish, with maple syrup like taste. Delicious!

M- this was surprising too me, it poured great, like a heavier beer but, it's very light, Lightly carbonated, a little sticky after your done.

D- I drank the 22oz bottle no problem. It was more to the thin side of the spectrum actually. Very drinkable. Great winter beer. I served mine just cooler than room temp.

This one is now in my rotation in fridge. Soo good! Kicking my self for not trying it sooner. (1,164 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Perhaps I'm biased but unless you hate hazelnuts, this is among the best brown ales around. Great nut aroma and balanced palate make this an enjoyable experience for any brown lover. (183 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales