Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,782 | Reviews: 1,406
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large, glass mug.

A - Murky dark brown, tan foamy head - very thick - lots of carbonation.

S - It had a nice, dark roasting aroma to it; almost smelled like it was burnt.

T - Thick (expected), very dominant roast nut flavor, a bit chewy very dark malty aftertaste.

M - Highly carbonated flavor, a bit sweet. The flavor got more complex the further I got into the glass. I thought it tasted a little like peanut butter on burnt toast.

D - Umm, wow?! This is fantastic - the flavor is very complex. Each sip brings out a different aspect (nutty, roasty, sweet, bitter). This is the first brown ale I've had that brought all my tastebuds to life! Just looking at the beer makes it looklike it'll be too heavy to drink (damn those TV commercials), but my God did Rogue surprise me! I HAVE to get another one of these beers! It's just a shame the smallest packaging for HazelNut is 22oz and not 6packs. Anyway, way to go Rogue - sensational brew!

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz bomber

Appearance: beautiful translucent medium brown beer with a small light brown head and light lacing

Aroma: the aroma was my favorite part of this beer. Lots of nuttines, sweet malts and chocolate notes

Taste: sweet malts and the hazelnut prevail, light caramel notes. the beer got too be a bit too sweet by the end of the bomber though

Mouthfeel: medium body and very smooth, light aftertaste

Drinkability: Moderately drinkable beer, nice and smooth but the sweetness would have me looking for something else after two

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

I poured this into a pint glass.

A - Dark and slightly cloudy with a head about a finger thick. There was a lot of sediment in the bottle which I attempted to swirl out and pour into the glass. I got 2 small chunks of sediment which I removed, and there was still a decent amount of sediment stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

S - Malt was the immediate smell with some nutty aromas in the background.

T - Tasted as malty as it smelled. A nice, smooth nutty taste. The hops were present more in the aftertaste than while drinking.

M - Nothing too spectacular here, just nice and smooth mostly.

D - I could drink one or two. I really liked the taste but would prefer switching to another beer after a short while. I've had this from a keg before and 2 was my limit.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

P- a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a clear dark copper color with an average creamy tan colored head with some lacing.

S- hazelnuts covered in molasses along with a sweet malt character.

T- well balanced roasted grains, nutty, sweet malts, and mild bitter from the hops.

M- creamy medium body that is moderately carbonated.

D- a good tasting American Brown Ale and well worth a try.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass.

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Thin tan head that recedes quickly.

S - Very malty. Hazelnut and Caramel. Tinge of fruits. Very appetizing.

T - Roasted malts up front. Very sweet. Hazelnut and Caramel. Hops add a good bit of zest to the end.

M - Light to medium with a bit of carbonation.

This is a very exceptional brown ale. Very well done.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

dark brown, almost opaque in color, with a thin tan head. Smells sweet & nutty. As advertised, you can pick out the hazelnut very easily. Not my favorite Brown Ale - I'd rather drink an Ellie's Brown. Overall though, not a bad beer for something a little different.

4.98/5  rDev +22.4%

Best beer I've had in ages

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: A 22 oz. bomber from River City Cellars.

Appearance: Looks an appetizing, ruddy brown under the light. It has a cream-colored head that it retains partially after first being poured.

Smell: There are strong chocolate malt and hazelnut aromas in the nose. I also detect a note of caramel. Altogether, the beer has a creamy and slightly fruity smell to it that reminds me of the prune aroma of Russian kvas.

Taste: I seems to me that Rogue must use some of the same malts in its Shakespeare and Chocolate Stouts, because the chocolate and caramel flavors are familiar, if more subdued. Still, the balance is somewhat pleasant, although the chocolate wins out over the caramel. The chocolate gives way to a sweetness that hints at plums or prunes. The hops are noticeable, but not at all obtrusive. Finally, there’s the bit of hazelnut in the flavor that tops it all off.

Mouthfeel: With medium to low carbonation and little hops, this goes down quite smoothly. Still, it seems that it has a much thicker body than some of the other brown ales I’ve had. I feel a bit like I just drank a stout.

Drinkability: I could drink this with some nice, Texas barbecue or chocolate cake. I’m almost ashamed that I didn’t have any of either on hand when I had this. It turned out to be rather drinkable, though. I didn’t have any problem getting through the bomber.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Dark brown with 1" of light head, a nice film lingers throughout.
S: Sweet aromas, rather mild, but good anyway.
T: Good tastes, not too sweet with malt flavors of hazelnut and caramel. A solid nut brown ale.
M: Nice and rich, smooth and medium-full bodied. Gets better at about 45 degrees.
D: Very drinkable beverage. Smooth going down and worth having time and again. One of the easier drinking beers from Rogue.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Body is a deep, dark orange...almost brown. Limited head that disappeared quickly. Light lacing left behind.

S: Very malty with serious hints of hazelnut. Awesome nose on this brew. The smell actually makes me feel warm.

T: Malt, hazelnut, chocolate, and coffee. Finishes with a light, clean bite from the hops.

M: Light carbonation. Slightly syrupy. Slight bitterness lingers on the palate.

D: Overall, this is a fantastic beer! It is the complete sensory experience. This is definitely a libation I will keep on hand in the fridge. Highly recommended!

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

No freshness date, bottle had some dust on sides, but not an unusual amount. poured into english pint glass

Appearance: head-very little head, off white, leaves slick of residue on top of a deep brown mahogany body with hints of red. A slow stream of light bubbles rises with virtually no activity on top. A small ring of head is present throughout the beer, but leaving no lacing.

Smell: Aromas of watery scotch (whisky), flowers and peat upfront eventually overpowered by nutty hazelnut; overall aroma is sweet.

Taste: Sweet roasted bready malt with hints of honey and dark fruit fads into intense hazelnut coffee with caramel creamer. There is an off flavor that presents the beer to be artificial and a bit like cough medicine.

Mouth: Thin and watery, lacking carbonation sticky like cough syrup; lacking any sufficient body.

Drinkability: At first I thought this would be a drain pourer, however the second sip was better. I will not be buying this beer anymore, however I enjoyed the experience. I love hazelnut however I think it is a bit misrepresented in the beer, almost artificial.

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Ruby-red color with good head
S: Very nutty, bread, sweet with hints of caramel
T: Follows the smell - nutty at first, then bready, a bit of hop bitterness on the aftertaste
M: Good level of carbonation, a bit chewy
O: Good beer overall, should get one more

I've heard so many things about this beer, all positive, all completely spot on! Amazing brown ale!

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%

I very clear, red with a nice head that dissapears quickly. Smell is very sweet and sugary. Taste is kind of nutty, but definately vanilla. Mouthfeel is a little on the light side. Needs to be thicker to be a better "brown". I wouldn't call it a clean finish, but not that long lasting aftertaste either. I would buy and drink it again.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a deep brown with a hint of amber. Thick tan head and lots of lacing.

This beer smells like the name, Hazelnut. Some malt there, but pungently hazelnut.

The taste is like the smell with nothing standing up with the hazelnut flavor. Syrupy sweetness with some tannins in the finish reminding me of nut shells. The label says 33 IBUs, but I can't find it.

Thick and chewy beer, some decent carbonation.

Not too excited, but a good beer. Not my style, so this will probubly be my only one.

4.11/5  rDev +1%

A - nice dark brown with a hint of ruby, thin head with no lacing

S - nutty --not unlike a typical brown

T - really, really unique. Strong hazelnut taste... almost too much. .. but then again, it's so damn good. Some subtle chocolate as well.

M - buttery, buttery, buttery. Perfect carbonation. Goes down like a glass of milk.

D - very good. This is one dessert beer I could drink all day. It's truly unique.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. bottle. picked this one up on my last visit to the brewery, a love of 'filberts' inspired me to try this brown.

pours deep amber with tall, soft tan head. the aroma is nutty-chocolate and coffee, very nice. taste at first is chocolate,smoke, coffee and toasted malt, balanced with light hops, almost no bitterness. a lingering coffee-hazelnut on the tongue.

i am not a big fan of browns, but this one is beyond any usual brown ale. for anyone who knows 'filberts' and enjoys a nice glass of beer, this is a must try.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a glass from a 24 ounce bottle.

A: This beer has crazy head. It actually started bubbling out of the bottle when I opened it. The beer is burnt brown and very cloudy.

S: It smells like cold coffee with hazelnut which is refreshing for a beer.

T: It explodes with hazelnut flavor, very nutty underneath. Smooth finish but very sweet tasting with a long lingering bitter aftertaste.

M: A little creamy in your mouth, not as heavy as the cloudy color may make you think.

D: Not high on my drinkability list as the bitter after taste hangs long.

Very unique beer but not one I would drink much of. Great for tasting diversity in beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

A - A hazy medium brown with a ruby tint when held to the light. Has a strong fluffy head that has a light tan/off white head.

S - Sweet and nutty. Prominent hazelnut smell with a faint hoppiness.

T - Smooth and creamy with malt upfront followed by a strong hazelnut flavor and mild in hops. Light to medium body. A fairly sweet beer with versatility that could be enjoyed either with a hearty meal or as a dessert beer. Contains a bit of sourness that I didn't appreciate too much.

M - A little on the thin side. Smooth and well carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable. I could enjoy a few bottles. Very nice take on the nut brown ale with the inclusion of hazelnut extract.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Dark brown, creamy foam with a good nutty aroma.
Smells like hazel nut coffee.

Makes me crave coffee, even though I rarely drink coffee.
That says a lot coming from a non coffee drinker. Beer is taking me to the dark side.

My new mouth rinse.
The sweetness of it covers the alcohol level. You would not think it is 6.2
Recommended to all coffee lovers, it is very easy to drink.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Aroma: Like toasted nuts dipped in chocolate; "fancy" almond M&Ms. Very faint woodiness, this beer literally smells sweet.

Appearance: Medium opacity (could live to be the tiniest bit darker), good overall lace retention, sea-foam-washed-over-sand colored head.

Taste: caramel, caramelized onions, hazelnut syrup, hint of nutella

Mouthfeel: Great body, accompanies the beer very well. Best "swish" beer in a while. Medium carbonation, some residual sugar, lots of flavor accompanied by an appropriate body.

Overall: This is a wonderful beer. I prefer my brown ales to taste more like a chocolate milkshake as opposed to nutty; That being said, this is really quite pleasant. I'm not certain I can say I've had anything quite like it.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a nice reddish-brown, producing a nice foamy head. Very distinct teriyaki smell and taste. Just a hint of hazelnut. Mouthfeel is very smooth with no bite, but it is still a little thin for my tastes. Good spicyness. A little coffee-esque like most brown ales and stouts. I'll drink this again sometime. It might be better if it's a little colder.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours into a tumbler with about an inch of pretty bubbly tan head that dissapates quickly. No retention or lace, which suprised and dissapointed me. The beer itself is a nice reddish-brown.

Smell is sweet, with hazelnut and some doughy malt. Taste is malt, a touch of chocolate, and hazelnut. Very sweet but not excessively so. Mouthfeel is decent--a little thicker than average with light carbonation. Since I like sweet/malty beers, I could drink this for a while, especially with a little something to munch on just in case. It's a real bummer that there's no head retention or lacing; this beer taste good and I wish it looked good too. I'm not sure it's a bad bottle, since the taste is good, so I'm confused, given other people's reviews.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Dark and nutty. Red and brown with a big yellow rimmed head that sits for a bit.

S - Most nutty amazing smell thick aromas including some coffee and caramel

T - Clean and clear and then the nut follows. Expected it to be thicker and tastes a little watered down. With that said, I would drink this over a Newcastle anyday. Rogue is the go-to place right now for craft done mass.

M - Beer. Nothing more nothing less really.

D - All night and all day

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

Ah I had been waiting and waiting to finally taste this beer, the wait is over!

Poured in a pint glass

A- Lovely chocolate color with some mahogany overtones

S- Beautiful coffee, brown sugar, sweet smell. This was amazing, although I didn't smell the hazelnut, it was very sweet (I should mention this was my dessert, so it ended up perfect)

T- Nice roasted, toasted coffee and brown sugar flavor, incredibly similar to the smell. Though I did taste the nuttiness it tasted more like roasted almonds than hazelnuts, but still very delicious. A bit dry as well as alcoholic to balance the incredible sweetness.

M- Here's where I got a bit hung-up, though it was smooth, it seemed a bit sticky and heavy.

D- Love, love, love this beer, but I could only drink it occasionally as it's very heavy on the palate. If I got another of these I'd like to have someone around to drink it with to make sure it would be appreciated (and finished!)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales