Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,782 | Reviews: 1,406
4.11/5  rDev +1%

A - nice dark brown with a hint of ruby, thin head with no lacing

S - nutty --not unlike a typical brown

T - really, really unique. Strong hazelnut taste... almost too much. .. but then again, it's so damn good. Some subtle chocolate as well.

M - buttery, buttery, buttery. Perfect carbonation. Goes down like a glass of milk.

D - very good. This is one dessert beer I could drink all day. It's truly unique.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. bottle. picked this one up on my last visit to the brewery, a love of 'filberts' inspired me to try this brown.

pours deep amber with tall, soft tan head. the aroma is nutty-chocolate and coffee, very nice. taste at first is chocolate,smoke, coffee and toasted malt, balanced with light hops, almost no bitterness. a lingering coffee-hazelnut on the tongue.

i am not a big fan of browns, but this one is beyond any usual brown ale. for anyone who knows 'filberts' and enjoys a nice glass of beer, this is a must try.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a glass from a 24 ounce bottle.

A: This beer has crazy head. It actually started bubbling out of the bottle when I opened it. The beer is burnt brown and very cloudy.

S: It smells like cold coffee with hazelnut which is refreshing for a beer.

T: It explodes with hazelnut flavor, very nutty underneath. Smooth finish but very sweet tasting with a long lingering bitter aftertaste.

M: A little creamy in your mouth, not as heavy as the cloudy color may make you think.

D: Not high on my drinkability list as the bitter after taste hangs long.

Very unique beer but not one I would drink much of. Great for tasting diversity in beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

A - A hazy medium brown with a ruby tint when held to the light. Has a strong fluffy head that has a light tan/off white head.

S - Sweet and nutty. Prominent hazelnut smell with a faint hoppiness.

T - Smooth and creamy with malt upfront followed by a strong hazelnut flavor and mild in hops. Light to medium body. A fairly sweet beer with versatility that could be enjoyed either with a hearty meal or as a dessert beer. Contains a bit of sourness that I didn't appreciate too much.

M - A little on the thin side. Smooth and well carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable. I could enjoy a few bottles. Very nice take on the nut brown ale with the inclusion of hazelnut extract.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Dark brown, creamy foam with a good nutty aroma.
Smells like hazel nut coffee.

Makes me crave coffee, even though I rarely drink coffee.
That says a lot coming from a non coffee drinker. Beer is taking me to the dark side.

My new mouth rinse.
The sweetness of it covers the alcohol level. You would not think it is 6.2
Recommended to all coffee lovers, it is very easy to drink.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

Aroma: Like toasted nuts dipped in chocolate; "fancy" almond M&Ms. Very faint woodiness, this beer literally smells sweet.

Appearance: Medium opacity (could live to be the tiniest bit darker), good overall lace retention, sea-foam-washed-over-sand colored head.

Taste: caramel, caramelized onions, hazelnut syrup, hint of nutella

Mouthfeel: Great body, accompanies the beer very well. Best "swish" beer in a while. Medium carbonation, some residual sugar, lots of flavor accompanied by an appropriate body.

Overall: This is a wonderful beer. I prefer my brown ales to taste more like a chocolate milkshake as opposed to nutty; That being said, this is really quite pleasant. I'm not certain I can say I've had anything quite like it.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a nice reddish-brown, producing a nice foamy head. Very distinct teriyaki smell and taste. Just a hint of hazelnut. Mouthfeel is very smooth with no bite, but it is still a little thin for my tastes. Good spicyness. A little coffee-esque like most brown ales and stouts. I'll drink this again sometime. It might be better if it's a little colder.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours into a tumbler with about an inch of pretty bubbly tan head that dissapates quickly. No retention or lace, which suprised and dissapointed me. The beer itself is a nice reddish-brown.

Smell is sweet, with hazelnut and some doughy malt. Taste is malt, a touch of chocolate, and hazelnut. Very sweet but not excessively so. Mouthfeel is decent--a little thicker than average with light carbonation. Since I like sweet/malty beers, I could drink this for a while, especially with a little something to munch on just in case. It's a real bummer that there's no head retention or lacing; this beer taste good and I wish it looked good too. I'm not sure it's a bad bottle, since the taste is good, so I'm confused, given other people's reviews.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Dark and nutty. Red and brown with a big yellow rimmed head that sits for a bit.

S - Most nutty amazing smell thick aromas including some coffee and caramel

T - Clean and clear and then the nut follows. Expected it to be thicker and tastes a little watered down. With that said, I would drink this over a Newcastle anyday. Rogue is the go-to place right now for craft done mass.

M - Beer. Nothing more nothing less really.

D - All night and all day

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

Ah I had been waiting and waiting to finally taste this beer, the wait is over!

Poured in a pint glass

A- Lovely chocolate color with some mahogany overtones

S- Beautiful coffee, brown sugar, sweet smell. This was amazing, although I didn't smell the hazelnut, it was very sweet (I should mention this was my dessert, so it ended up perfect)

T- Nice roasted, toasted coffee and brown sugar flavor, incredibly similar to the smell. Though I did taste the nuttiness it tasted more like roasted almonds than hazelnuts, but still very delicious. A bit dry as well as alcoholic to balance the incredible sweetness.

M- Here's where I got a bit hung-up, though it was smooth, it seemed a bit sticky and heavy.

D- Love, love, love this beer, but I could only drink it occasionally as it's very heavy on the palate. If I got another of these I'd like to have someone around to drink it with to make sure it would be appreciated (and finished!)

4.72/5  rDev +16%

22 oz bottle on 1-12-2009

awesome appearance with a toasted nut and woodsy character to the nose

similar taste with a slight malty characteristic, the hop notes don't come thru till the back of the mouth and follows through smoothly

me and my g/f are rogue nation members, we go there everytime we are in portland international airport, in downtown at the public house and cant wait to go to newport, OR to get it at the source!

rogue nation!

4.96/5  rDev +21.9%

Really nutty and a great relaxing beer

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

The beer is gorgeous. One could probably enjoy it without drinking it...but I don't recommend that kind of alcohol abuse.
The creamy thick head and deep brown body truly is a work of beer art. The smell is rich and nutty with hints of toffee and a slight alcohol bite. The taste is smooth and nutty with yet more hints of caramel and shares many characteristics of hazelnut flavored coffee. The finish is remarkably clean. The aftertaste has a bit of bitterness and slight alcohol that leaves the palate clean and ready for more.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Had this last night while out at a local pizza joint with a buddy. The pour was a nice imperial pint very thin light colored head, nice lacing on the glass as it was drank though. Very nice deep reddish brown color and very clear. The nose on this beer isn't complex at all, mostly malt sweetness no real hop aroma. The flavor of this beer is also toward the sweet side no real hop flavor or bitterness only enough to balance out the malt. Mouthfeel for this right where it should be not thin but not think either. All in all a real nice totally drinkable beer that you could sit and have a few pints of. I will be drinking this again.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Something tastes like vanilla extract towards the end. A tad too sweet and could use a little more carbonation. Now that I'm done nitpicking have to say this is a great beer. I think most beer lovers of any style could appreciate this one. You could drink this year round. At $14 for a six pack it's pretty steep but I'll definately be buying this again. Easily one of my favorite beers now.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Poured dark brown with a minimal light head the subsided rather quickly

S - Definitely hazelnut and chocolate I was rather suprised that it came through as well as it did

T - More of toffee than the smell eludes however hazelnut and chocolate do round out the finish

M - A good nectar feel true to style

D - Very drinkable nectar if you are looking for this type of brew. It wasnt over powering at all smooth, chocolate and hazelnut treat

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Bought a 22 oz. bottle from the store. It poured a nice rich brown with a creamy head that did not last long. The nutty smell hit me right away. This beer had rich nutty tasty that was also slightly creamy. I could easily drink a few more of these and am now wishing I bought atleast one more bottle.

I highly recommend this to those who haven't tried it. It's become one of my favorites.

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

God this guy is delicous. I used to drink the hell out of some newcastle but once i discovered this kid i haven't had one since. Definitely my favorite brown ale i have ever had. It goes down smooth and fast. The only real problem is that they only sell 22-ounce bottles and not six-packs. Hopefully this will change in the future.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Nectar might be the exact word I would use in describing this beer. A chocolatey, maple syrup, "nectar" that tastes very similar to a Porter. Head definitely follows the two-finger rule and shows a brownish-yellow color. Appearance in the glass in dark brown and lovely looking. The taste is great. Maple, chocolate, and hazelnut with a sweet coffee tasting finish and after taste. It is very smooth and easy to drink. My only problem would be drinking a lot of this beer. It is very rich and a little too sweet. However, I am drinking a 22 oz bottle and it is just what the doctor ordered! I couldn't choke down much of this beer because it is soooo thick. Very good beer though.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Purchased at Top's Liquor in Tempe for $5.49. Poured a bomber into a big red wine glass.

Color is dark brown with an off-white to tan head. Little lacing (but is sometimes a problem in my wine glass).

Smell of chocolate and hazelnut. Taste of chocolate malts with a toasty aftertaste. Some caramel? Effervescent on the tongue and medium bodied.

Overall, I really liked this and will buy it again and again.

3.99/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Beautiful huge fluffy 2 inch light tan head, dies down semi-quickly but leaves quite a bit of foam on the glass on it's way down. Lacing is really just foam so far, but lots of it. Amber resin colored, held up to light it's stop light red. Kinda hazy, but not much visable carbonation at all.

Guy on the bottle looks like Mike Mogis. Very cool.

S - Sweet and creamy. Hazelnut monin syrup. Malty malt.

T - Hazelnut for sure. I used to be a Barista at a coffee shop, and it tastes like the hazelnut syrup we used for lattes, only better. Milk Chocolate, roasty malt, subtle chickory undertones. Hoppy sourness in the background.

M - Super creamy. Super smooth. Barely any prickle, which suits it nicely.

D/Overall - It's a great beer for sure, but I couldn't do it too often. I'm a hazelnut freak, and I seek out hazelnut ingredients in everything I consume, but this is too sweet to drink all the time. Don't get me wrong, the sweetness is very well balanced and I enjoy it thoroughly, but I'm afraid it could get old over time. Still, this is a great beer for special occasions and entertaining.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass

A - Deep mahogany and woody brown with minimal head and almost no lacing.

S - Tons of hazelnut, coffee, and toasted grains. Highly inviting.

T - Begins with plenty of nuttiness and roasted malts. An avalanche of crunchy hazelnut envelops the palate, followed by chocolate and some more coffee. Finishes smooth and clean, without much lingering flavor.

M - This is super smooth, with little to no aftertaste.

D - Goes down really easy, and before you know it, the bomber is gone.

This might be one of my favorite accessible brown ales of all time. With each and every sip, I just crave more until the bottle is finished. Great value and great taste for sure.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

This was a great beer! enjoyable to lok at in the glass and taste all the way through! Good beer to share with other looking for a unique nutty brown ale! Plenty of smiles everytime it was tasted and shared! Highly recommended as a sit down and enjoy beer!!!

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the best aromas you will experience in a beer

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

WOW!!! The deep-brown color with its smooth tan head make you want to drink this beer. Then the hazelnut and chocolate aromas hit the nose and only the strong of heart can resist. Tasting the beer is truly a religous experience, hazlenut, chocolate, coffee, brown ale...paradise. The only negative is that the beer body is a little thin for the style. Otherwise, find it and treat yourself to one of the very best. Buy two, one to savour the other to quaff quickly as your senses will beg it.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales