Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,385 | Hads: 3,896
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass

A - Deep mahogany and woody brown with minimal head and almost no lacing.

S - Tons of hazelnut, coffee, and toasted grains. Highly inviting.

T - Begins with plenty of nuttiness and roasted malts. An avalanche of crunchy hazelnut envelops the palate, followed by chocolate and some more coffee. Finishes smooth and clean, without much lingering flavor.

M - This is super smooth, with little to no aftertaste.

D - Goes down really easy, and before you know it, the bomber is gone.

This might be one of my favorite accessible brown ales of all time. With each and every sip, I just crave more until the bottle is finished. Great value and great taste for sure.

3.94/5  rDev -3%

This was a great beer! enjoyable to lok at in the glass and taste all the way through! Good beer to share with other looking for a unique nutty brown ale! Plenty of smiles everytime it was tasted and shared! Highly recommended as a sit down and enjoy beer!!!

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

WOW!!! The deep-brown color with its smooth tan head make you want to drink this beer. Then the hazelnut and chocolate aromas hit the nose and only the strong of heart can resist. Tasting the beer is truly a religous experience, hazlenut, chocolate, coffee, brown ale...paradise. The only negative is that the beer body is a little thin for the style. Otherwise, find it and treat yourself to one of the very best. Buy two, one to savour the other to quaff quickly as your senses will beg it.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

I picked up a bomber of this at Galeville Grocery in Liverpool.

The flavor of this beer is unreal. Sweet malt, sugary, vanilla, caramel and all things delicious. I don't normally like brown ales but this is probably the tastiest beer I've ever had.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

If you want to drink a nutty beer, this is it. This has got some serious NUT!

a: nice dark brown appearance, with very little head

s: the smell did it for me, it was nutty and delicious

t: tastes just like it smells, almost a disappointment based on the exceptional nose

m: again, very good taste, just like the smell

d: i could have drank a few of the larger bottles before getting gutfucked!

A great nutty beer!

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has been tried and tested for many years, and I think I only add to praise when I write about this being one of my favorite beers. The beer is dark, but has a lighter tone to the tastebuds. It's smooth, malty and carries a light hazlenutty flavor that tastes great every time.
Sitting in the Portland airport after a visit with my brother, I felt blessed to have a delay and a Rogue bar by my gate. I enjoyed a tall glass of this nectar and decided to get a growler to take home on the plane. I've always enjoyed this particular brew, but that moment at PDX solidified it as a favorite as th beer and I merrily bonded.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance - Dark amber, light tan creamy head with nice retention.

Smell - Vanilla, hazelnut, cocoa dominate the aroma with some caramel in the background.

Taste - Flavor follows the aroma with a rich, hazelnut character and caramel malt. A very slight amount of the bitterness keeps it from being too sweet and keeps you wanting more. Tastes almost like a root beer float, delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation but fitting for the style, very smooth and weighs nicely on the palate.

Overall - An amazing twist on a brown ale, you could down more than a few of these.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was really looking forward to trying this. Thank God, it was already chilled so I didn't have to wait at home. It poured an attractive brown with a decent head but nothing amzing. When I smelled it I cought something that I thought for sure was soy sauce, it might have been the marraige of the hops and the hazelnut, I don't know, but that's just what I smelled. When I tasted it though it was absolutely awesome! So was the mouthfeel. This is a beer I could drink a lot of. Hopefull they will put this in sixers (I've only seen the big 22 oz bottles). I definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Domo arigato Morimotosan!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

Pours dark reddish brown, kind of a caramel like color. Thick creamy head is tan in color. Head does not last long. Lacing on the glass is minimal.

The aroma is extremely malty and nutty. I can't really smell any hops over the breadiness of this one. It really makes me think of a can of nuts, which is not a bad thing.

Body is light and carbonation is medium. Initial taste is sweet, followed by breadiness. Aftertaste is a very nice malty flavor, which doesn't last long. Not much bitterness to this beer.

Drinkability is excellent! It goes down very easy, does not taste very alcoholic at all. The flavor is just complex enough to keep you interested, but easy enough to slam a pint at the same time. This is the third or fourth time I've had this beer, and it is quickly becoming one of my staples.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from that stylish brown bottle into a 22oz wine glass.

A - Nice dark mahogany colour. The kind of colour I'd like my floors to be. Good head formation with nice tight bubbles that sticks around for awhile until receding into a cap any sailor could be proud of. This is pretty beer.

S - Oh look Hazelnuts! But unfortunately it doesn't smell like hazelnuts it smells like hazelnut syrup. As in artificial. I picked up some other notes in there, but it was mainly hazelnut syrup.

T - Damn, there's a really good beer in there somewhere. It's hard for me to get past the hazelnut. Contrary to what Beers like Peche Mortel and Young's Double Chocolate stout have achieved by blending the flavours, however bold, to create a clearly defined palate, this beer seem dichotomous. There's a really nice Brown Ale I taste, and then there's a Hazelnut syrup. The flavours to be seem to be competitive rather than cooperative. It's hard to decide whether thats good or not because it's a tasty beer. I found it distracting.

M - Medium bodied and solid. Good level of carbonation for me. I found it very smooth and a little creamy.

D - The hazelnut was cloying by the end of the bottle for me. I usually don't think much of this category, but in this case there was something that really detracted towards the end. Not enough to bring down the flavour score, but enough to prevent a second bottle.

Notes: I think my review might come off harsher than intended. It just felt to me like the Hazelnut flavour was not well integrated into the profile, but the Brown Ale was solid, and the Hazelnut does taste nice for 7/8ths of it.

The only other issue I have with this beer is it's price. If it was something truly special, sure, I can see $6.15 for 650ml. When I can get La Fin Du Monde or Maudite for $5.40 for 750ml, I'm having a hard time making that choice.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

I was a bit skeptical, at the concept here, thought that the hazelnut was going to be overpowering. Boy! Did they prove me wrong!

A- it pours a redish, brown, copper, think maple syrup. Beautiful, delicious, two-finger head, nice lacing.

S- this was amazing you can smell it right when you open it .
Even other people in the room, turned there heads and asked what smelled sooo good. Very hazelnut, maple, fragrance. Toasted grains come through too. Something sweet too, almost molasses. Great!

T- as big as the smell was the taste is much more subtle. The hazelnut is definitely there. If your looking for hops, probably not your beer, but this is a malt persons dream. Smooth, very smooth beer. Sweet finish, with maple syrup like taste. Delicious!

M- this was surprising too me, it poured great, like a heavier beer but, it's very light, Lightly carbonated, a little sticky after your done.

D- I drank the 22oz bottle no problem. It was more to the thin side of the spectrum actually. Very drinkable. Great winter beer. I served mine just cooler than room temp.

This one is now in my rotation in fridge. Soo good! Kicking my self for not trying it sooner.

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Perhaps I'm biased but unless you hate hazelnuts, this is among the best brown ales around. Great nut aroma and balanced palate make this an enjoyable experience for any brown lover.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

Aroma of nutela, treacle, caramel, and chocolate.

Pours ,more of a red colour than a brown. Beige head. Medium head retention. Some lace.

Tastes Like Ferero rocher chocolates. Caramel, hazelnuts, burnt sugar, chocolate.

Mouthfeel was ok, if a bit thin. Carbonation was ok.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance was an nice thick brown look that made me anticipate it to be more flavorful than a comparable style like Newcastle.

Smelled very sweet and nutty. Smelled very good but not too beery (not a word but makes sense to me).

Excellent and surprising taste of almond nut and something quite sweet I ended up placing as being like brown sugar

Felt good on the tongue, a medium body that lingered a bit and left a roasted malt and nutty aftertaste.

Really enjoyed the beer and it made an impression on me. Normally stick with darker beers but this went well with food and alone as a desert beer. Recommend.

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I have tried this beer.

Appearance: It has a a very deep amber color to it. It looks quite nice in the glass. The beer has minimal head. A small amount gathered at the top of the glass, and settled quickly. This isn't what I picture a brown ale to look like, but it does have a nice appearance.

Smell: The beer has strong roasted malt scent. I did detect the hazelnut, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The first sip caught me a little off guard. This beer is much sweeter than I expectedl. It finishes with a nice roasted taste, which I liked. The sweetness negatively affected this beer for me. The hazelnut was very prominent, which was expected, but I guess I just don't like hazelnut in my beer. The 6.2% ABV is very well hidden...little to no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: This beer felt very thin and watery. This is not what I expect in a brown ale. There wasn't very much carbonation, which accentuated the watery feel. Not much good going on in this department.

Drinkability: I could see myself buying a bomber of this once (maximum) per year. I can't say the beer is bad, but the sweetness, thin, watery aspects leave a little to be desired. One bomber was enough.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance 4.0
Poured a dark mahogany color. Almost zero head.

Aroma 4.0
The hazelnut and coffee scent is quite strong. Smells more like coffee than beer. Slight scent of roasted grain but my senses are overwhelmed by the hazelnut.

Taste 3.5/4.0
At first sip, there's a mixed roasted nut flavor at the center-point. Very nice and what I expect from the nut brown style. As it sits on the tongue, the nuts give way to a very strong hazelnut, caramel and bitter chocolate flavor which is very coffee-like in it's aftertaste.

Mouthfeel 4.0
Nice thickness, not to thin, not to thick. Right on with the brown ale style. I found the aroma very strong, even while in the mouth.

Drinkability 4.0
Very drinkable. Not too sweet, not too thin or thick, very rich flavored. Not your traditional brown ale, but it's something you won't find from other nut browns. Very solid beer from Rogue.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Not the biggest fan of brown ales, but this one is different. Very smooth taste, nice thick khaki head and feels great on the tongue. The hazelnut aroma is intoxicating but the overall taste and finish of this beer lacks. Like i said overall good just nothing amazing.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this beer in two settings served ice cold into pint glass, then slowly warmed to about 55-60 degrees: Once while relaxing on the couch with a friend and once in the back yard during a cool Sunday evening, accompanied with a nice skirt steak and herb roasted potatoes. It was a much more enjoyable experience with the steak. Highly recommended.

Pours a dark brown with brown, almost purplish-red head. The mouth feel of the beer is quite nice. There's enough body and viscosity in the beer that you can see the resistance of the beer as you pour into the beer already in the glass. Notes of Hazelnut (duh), chocolate, caramel, and light molasses.

Drinkability was nice but not something I could consistently put back. Not that that's a bad thing, really... having just one with dinner is wonderful way to enjoy this beer. This goes into the “will buy again” category for me.

Guy on the bottle reminds me of my father during the early 80s so that's sorta weird. Price is a bit steep but shouldn't be a problem seeing how I would only drink one with a nice meal.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

This Beer pours a dark brownish Red tinted dark color. Very clear no haze, with a light brown head, almost no lace. Very wood like chocolate tastes hit me right away with a wood/coffee finish. Delicious and smooth. I really enjoyed this beer. I am fairly new at this but so far hands down my favorite Brown Ale so far. Medium Body & feels pretty light. The sophisticated flavors make this more of a beer to savor but still very drinkable. Maybe Not a session beer. But what Great beer is?

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

From a good looking 22oz bomber 8/7/11

A-The head was a nice off color white. The body was a gorgeous brown on the darker side, but was not too dark that you could not see thru.

S- The smell reminded me of a nutty french vanilla coffee blend. Had a nice aroma of sweet nutty caramel.

T- The taste sent my senses on a rollercoaster ride thru sweetness up a hill a nuttiness and down with slight candied undertone. A truley excellent brown ale. The name of the beer fits perfectly.

M-The beer was not too heavy nor too light, it was just right. Could drink more then one of these any night. The beer was carbonated ,but not overly carbonated.

o- I liked this beer a lot. I have not tried to many Rogues beers, but saw this in a local six pack shop and decided to take it for a whirl. It is a bit on the sweet side, but I think it adds lots of character to the beer. It is not too sweet like other beers I have encountered. It is also not too bitter. I would reccommend this beer to anyone, if they do not know much about beers or are looking for something new to try. I had mine after dinner and it felt like a very pleasant dessert.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you like hazelnut coffe, or happen to like hazelnuts in general, this is your beer. It has a very clean looking appearance, medium brown color with a sweet and flavorful head. It is very nutty, the hazelnut flavor doesn't start or finish the beer, it is the beer. A very sweet beer, if that 's not your thing look elsewhere. Not bitter at any point, smooth, nutty & sweet throughout. This is an amazing beer, could have one with your oatmeal or your pork chops. Delicious.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

More hazelnutty than expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, just unlike anything I've ever tried before! Light feeling and very drinkable. Definitely a dessert beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

My first review. I couldn't resist reviewing this one. This beer is such a treat! Nice thick tan head by the time I poured the second glass (first was a little too cold I guess). Began with a nice mild chocolate malt taste, very creamy, smooth, full mouthfeel, and finished with a little bit of hop, but just enough to keep it interesting. Left a hint of coffee and maybe toffee taste in my mouth. Wow, this is a great beer. If I could only have one beer a day I could live on just one of these a day. I'm really impressed with the Rouge beers so far.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

I love hazelnut, so when I found this beer it immediately found it’s way into my cart. The bottle itself is a wonderful work of art. I popped the top and took a long inhale noting the nutty scent. My nose isn’t fully developed just yet so if I can pick something up then you know it is in there.

The pour was into an imperial pint glass. The splash down play between beer and head was mesmerizing. The beautiful red-brown color eventually won the game but the head was a thick creamy head. It lasted for ½ the beer and the nose from the head rounded out an overall taste of the beer. Periodically after that I added what was left in the bottle to give it a little more head.

A great sipping beer!