Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,377 | Hads: 3,838
4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

More hazelnutty than expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, just unlike anything I've ever tried before! Light feeling and very drinkable. Definitely a dessert beer. (165 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

My first review. I couldn't resist reviewing this one. This beer is such a treat! Nice thick tan head by the time I poured the second glass (first was a little too cold I guess). Began with a nice mild chocolate malt taste, very creamy, smooth, full mouthfeel, and finished with a little bit of hop, but just enough to keep it interesting. Left a hint of coffee and maybe toffee taste in my mouth. Wow, this is a great beer. If I could only have one beer a day I could live on just one of these a day. I'm really impressed with the Rouge beers so far. (551 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

I love hazelnut, so when I found this beer it immediately found it’s way into my cart. The bottle itself is a wonderful work of art. I popped the top and took a long inhale noting the nutty scent. My nose isn’t fully developed just yet so if I can pick something up then you know it is in there.

The pour was into an imperial pint glass. The splash down play between beer and head was mesmerizing. The beautiful red-brown color eventually won the game but the head was a thick creamy head. It lasted for ½ the beer and the nose from the head rounded out an overall taste of the beer. Periodically after that I added what was left in the bottle to give it a little more head.

A great sipping beer! (706 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Chestnut brown, with a beautiful but not-long-lasting head.

Smell: Obviously "Hazelnut" is in the beer's name, so there's certainly a substantial amount of that in the bouquet. However, it's a really clean smell -- more like hazelnut coffee than the nut itself.

Taste: Super-malty, especially if you let it linger in your mouth a bit. Unlike many brown ales, this is a little light on the dryness -- in that way, it's certainly different than its British brothers. Unlike many beers that advertise a certain flavor, you can totally taste hazelnut here, especially after you swallow it.

Mouthfeel: Swish it around a bit in your mouth and feel how incredibly creamy it becomes.

Drinkability: It's a little high in alcohol for a brown ale, and conversely a little sweet. A wonderful desert drink, but could it work as a session beer? I have doubts.

Anyone who wants to understand how American microbreweries reinvent styles should look at this as Exhibit A. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown (which is basically the standard-bearer for the style) is clean, crisp, and balanced in every way. Conversely, Rogue's interpretation of the Brown Ale is sweet and unrefined. If it's slightly less successful, it certainly gets points for being much riskier. (1,256 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Nose - The Hazelnut really comes through with this one. Strong nutty, caramel, with a touch of yeast.

Taste - Starts off much like any brown ale, toffee and caramel with a little more richness and intensity of flavor. A bit strong on the alcohol mid way, but you get the full effect of the Hazelnut upon swallowing and forget all about the heat. Nice strong nutty finish that doesn't taste synthetic.

Overall an outstanding example of the style. (447 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Great looking beer! Dark amber to reddish. Not much head but it may be due to the tap pressure settings.

S- Sweet and a hinch of fruitiness followed by a bit of wood but not a big smell.

F- Berries on the beginning, followed by a perfectly achieved nutty flavor. At the end a pleasant cocoa aftertaste very similar to the Yoo-Hoo! drink.

O- Very nice beer! Certainly I will have it again. (429 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked to be a dark amber...the mug is tinted.

It smelled great. You could definitely pick out the hazelnut and it had a caramel fragrance.

The hazelnut flavor is definitely prevalent. The beer has a sweet caramel flavor with moderate carbonation for a darker beer.

Mouthfeel....eh, whatever.

Being a hazelnut lover, I tried to ignore all the reviews slamming this beer's "artificial" hazelnut flavoring. I really wanted to enjoy it. I did anyway. I thought it was a good beer....a nice dark amber with the slight feel of a porter and a hefty hint of hazelnut. Artificial or not....I will drink it again. (654 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

A nutty brown colored beer, as you might expect. It smells mildly of the hazelnut within, which can be deceptive because of the taste to follow. This beer is extremely drinkable, goes down smooth, and has a slightly sweet taste of hazelnut worked perfectly into the brown ale (no syrupy chemical taste whatsoever). The aftertaste is pleasant with almost no bitterness to speak of. Definitely a good beer and well-priced at ~$5 for 22oz. (436 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

A: It has a dark red and brown when in direct light, which deepens in color when not in direct light resembling an almost red wine-like appearance. Has a clear consistency with a beige head that retains well.

S: A definite nutty smell that is blended with malt. There is a slight sweet smell that I couldn't wrangle though..

T: A nice roasted malt flavors that make me have to give praise to the name. The hazelnut plays through pretty plainly and you don't have to stress yourself to taste it. There are other components such as coffee, chocolate (lighter than dark), some hops, alcohol, and a slight sweet and acidic signature.

M: Much lighter than I expected. Smooth, somewhat oily, with light hints of carbonation. Nice crispness and bitterness at the end.

D: This is definitely a nut brown and has qualities that make it unique and worth trying. The flavors really open up, and I would recommend allowing them to do so because the get much better. (959 characters)

Pours a cherry wood color with a two-finger head that doesn't linger. Very little lacing. The aroma is quite intriguing and chiefly of hazelnut and pumpernickel bread.

The taste is hazelnut and molasses straight-away, followed by a nice slight hop bitterness that keeps it from being too syrupy-sweet while still leaving sweetness on the tongue afterward. It is medium-bodied with just enough carbonation to stave off the said syrupy-sweet sensation you find in so many others of this style.

This is an extremely quaffable beer and a nice option for a "bigger" (while not BIG) beer that allows you to down a few. Nicely done. (628 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - Reddish brown. Clear. Tight 3/4" head when poured. Laces nicely and lace sticks to glass through the drink.

Smell - Nutty, chocolatey, rich.

Taste - A nice rich maltiness. Hops present in aftertaste that aren't noticeable when first tasted. Chocolate malts are easy to identify. Call me crazy, but I didn't taste the hazelnut (or general 'nuttiness') as much as I expected to.

Mouthfeel - Rich mouthfeel. Taste lingers for a while between sips.

Drinkability - Easier to drink as the beer warms.

Overall - Good beer with a great initial richness that is more apparent as the beer warms. Not the best example of a Brown Ale, but one that is certainly worth tasting. (691 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into two small Ommegang dubbel glasses.

A-Dark chestnut brown with a tan head that left good lacing

S-Roasted malts along with a strong buttery smell that could only be identified as delicious hazelnuts. The smell was definitely enticing.

T-Taste was fantastic. A great blend of dark malt with a tiny finish of hop just to balance it out. The malts are not over roasted but crisp and clean unlike many brown ales which end up tasting like syrupy flat soda. Very refreshing and a fantastic taste, although not as much hazelnut flavor as in the nose

M-Creamy and medium bodied. The best part is it is not as syrupy as many brown ale's which gives it big points in the mouthfeel area

D-A superb ale with a great all around flavor. I will definitely be buying this in the future. (810 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer looks a little darker than your average brown ale mildly foggy. the head is an off white and has a decent retention
has a dark nutty smell with the hazelnut being prominent with a mild caramel scent
the taste is more complex than just hazelnut there is a blast of flavors the instant it hits my tongue and the hazelnut is brought out when it gets towards the back of my throat. it has a perfectly mild bitter finish
a medium to heavy mouthfeel which is what i prefer. this is probably one of my top beers and i could drink this stuff all night every night great job rogue brewery (590 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32.5%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle. (1,196 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

As soon as I opened the bottle I can smell the sweet Hazelnut. It also has some cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar notes. The smell is definitely strong, if you've got a sweet tooth this is your beer.

It pours pretty good. The head is about 1 1/2 inch. The head goes down rather fast after pours, lacing is weak. Its a very slightly foggy copper color. After setting it down for 2 minutes to cool down the head and lacing were almost completely gone.

The taste is quite the same as it's smell, if not slightly more tamed. Very sweet beer, again, if you have a sweet tooth this is your beer. The hazelnut and brown sugar hit your mouth instanly, hops are present, but very minimally. The mouthfeel is light, I can see myself drinking more than one bottle easily. Reminds me of a pumpkin ale without the pumpkin. If you want a strong beer you might want to skip this one, I however quite liked it.

In conclusion, this was a pretty good beer. I definitely see myself trying this again on a day where I crave sweets. I would not recommend this for anyone who enjoys fuller bodied beers, or hoppy beers for that matter. (1,118 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

I asked a couple of times the age of the barrel and was assured maybe a week old.

Appearance: amber in color characteristic of a brown ale. No head and no lacing.

Smell: definitely hazelnut. From beginning to end.

Taste: Hazelnut throughout

Mouthfeel: Like nutella, it sticks to the roof of your mouth and does not want to leave, (which is a good thing).

Overall: You want hazelnut, this is your beer. Great tasting that finishes clear, but the aroma is with you throughout. (480 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love hazelnuts so when I saw this on my bars MBA beer list I figured why not. The beer did not fail to deliver, it was a nice dark brown. The smell was amazing to me there is no better smell than roasted hazelnuts. The nuts weren't very forward, to me i got a bit of maltiness first then came the hazelnuts. The beer was quite smooth not overly carbonated. I could easily drink this everyday possibly with chocolate as a dessert beer? (436 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom...

Very interesting, I must say!!! I expected different...but, here is my review :)

Upon pouring, it's a deep, dark color, yet somewhat transparent...a good brown ale for you...about a one finger off white head, with very little lacing..

The nose was very interesting! I could immediately smell cream...slight vanilla...yet the overall nose wasn't too much to talk about.

On the palate...Well lets see, cream, coffee, hints of 'burnt' nuts - quite odd, yet it all worked well in the finish. Not too malty. I could see how they labeled it 'hazelnut'.

Would I buy this again? Not sure... I would try it in the bottle, even though I have much love for taps :) Would I recommend it? Yes, due to it's oddness and creativity! (751 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

The Specialty beer winner from this years Great American Beer Festival is my beer for the evening. Well I agree that it is special. One of those brown beers you just have to love. I'm not a big brown beer fan. This one though is from Rogue and it carries a signature goodness that some brewers can't pull off. Let's get to it.

Appearence - Beautiful brown beer. A half inch thick head that really let's you get to the core of the beer quickly.

Smell- Clean and crisp. Rogue really has mastered the smell of beers. They never smell "treated" or chemically. It never seems as though they added something to it bring out the smells. It's all ingrediants. Hazelnuts aren't a wonderful nut but they have a distinct smell. Good stuff.

Taste- Is a brown ale with a sweet finish. It doesn't try to do to much.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with a hint of Carbonation. It lingers a little bit at the end though which is ok, not awesome though.

Overall it's a good solid beer. If you like brown beers, this one you will enjoy a great deal.

Thanks

Steve McShane
The Drunkardscall Podcast
Growler Radio Podcast
www.inkandaudio.net
@ayemcshane on twitter. (1,141 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Poured from a bomber dark brown with small head with little retention.
Nose: Sweet with hazelnut extract aroma right up front.
Taste: The flavors take a while to kick in but are very well balanced. Not overly malty but just the right amount of sweetness, blends perfectly with the hazelnut. Flavor hops are just noticeable. Mouthfeel is silky, low/moderate carbonation.

Like many of Rogue's offerings, this beer is unique and enjoyable. A very drinkable brew that I return to regularly. (503 characters)

The only reason this review was so late coming was because I couldn't think of enough good things to say about this beer it is my all time favorite out of all the brews I have drank and the list is probably 350 plus beers (not bragging)just stating the truth I always return to this because it is so good what can I say out of 1-5 this is so over the top it s a 10, try it and you will seee, nuff said! (402 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

Has a amber-brown appearance with a decent tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnut and it carries through into the taste. Smooth and malty with little bitterness. It was easy going down and not overly carbonated. Altough not one of my favorites, I definitely enjoyed it and would order again. (300 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into Newcastle glass.

Appearance: copper/brownish color. Yields about 3/4 finger head the dissipates slowly. Frothy film sticks around throughout.

Smell: Very nutty and malty. Roasted nuts is the initial whiff and the most prevalent smell, with some slightly toasted malt in the background

Taste: Sweet upfront with a great hazelnut aftertaste. Many beers claim to be "chocolate" or "coffee" and such but fail to taste anything like their description. This beer genuinely tastes as advertised: hazelnut. A little bit of malt in the background with some chocolate undertones, but this is a true hazelnut beer all the way through.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth finish.

Overall: Definitely a solid brew. In terms of a" Hazelnut Brown Nectar", they definitely portrayed it nicely. Tons of nutty flavor and a solid finish. Would drink again for sure. (920 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Let me start off saying that is by far the best brown I have had hands down. Poured out very brown, almost like a wood stain of some kind, little head that tried to hold on till the end but left some lacing. Right off, the smell sucked me in, it was very sweet, nutty, chocolate, coffee and some malt. You can definitively tell there is hazelnut in there...the first sip was astonishing. Sweet, but not too much, lots of hazelnut with some chocolate and coffee. The thing that made this beer stand out is that it was paired with a final bitterness that didn't cover up the sweetness. But rather complimented it just enough so you knew you weren't drinking an iced mocha morning shit, but a BEER! I wouldn't go as far to say it was a dessert beer, but it definitively is a treat. (778 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Dark brown caramel color, light carbonation, thin one inch head which slowly dissipates, minimal lacing which slowly disappears.

S: Hazelnut is apparent, smells nutty and sweet, little hint of malt

T: Sweet, not bitter at all, minimal hops, hazelnut is apparent, finishes sweet, little bit of chocolate taste

M: Light to medium body, minimal carbonation, very balanced mouthfeel, very smooth beer

O: I really do like this beer, it's smooth and extremely drinkable, there are no dominant tastes, everything is well balanced. I would drink again, a nice flavorful, light feeling beer. (589 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales