Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

This was a great beer! enjoyable to lok at in the glass and taste all the way through! Good beer to share with other looking for a unique nutty brown ale! Plenty of smiles everytime it was tasted and shared! Highly recommended as a sit down and enjoy beer!!!

ouser31, Mar 15, 2012

shook138, Sep 13, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Ozzie5365, Sep 27, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

WOW!!! The deep-brown color with its smooth tan head make you want to drink this beer. Then the hazelnut and chocolate aromas hit the nose and only the strong of heart can resist. Tasting the beer is truly a religous experience, hazlenut, chocolate, coffee, brown ale...paradise. The only negative is that the beer body is a little thin for the style. Otherwise, find it and treat yourself to one of the very best. Buy two, one to savour the other to quaff quickly as your senses will beg it.

DrDocRudge, Aug 28, 2001
4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

I picked up a bomber of this at Galeville Grocery in Liverpool.

The flavor of this beer is unreal. Sweet malt, sugary, vanilla, caramel and all things delicious. I don't normally like brown ales but this is probably the tastiest beer I've ever had.

chriskozma, Dec 18, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

If you want to drink a nutty beer, this is it. This has got some serious NUT!

a: nice dark brown appearance, with very little head

s: the smell did it for me, it was nutty and delicious

t: tastes just like it smells, almost a disappointment based on the exceptional nose

m: again, very good taste, just like the smell

d: i could have drank a few of the larger bottles before getting gutfucked!

A great nutty beer!

TooleBurger, Jan 28, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has been tried and tested for many years, and I think I only add to praise when I write about this being one of my favorite beers. The beer is dark, but has a lighter tone to the tastebuds. It's smooth, malty and carries a light hazlenutty flavor that tastes great every time.
Sitting in the Portland airport after a visit with my brother, I felt blessed to have a delay and a Rogue bar by my gate. I enjoyed a tall glass of this nectar and decided to get a growler to take home on the plane. I've always enjoyed this particular brew, but that moment at PDX solidified it as a favorite as th beer and I merrily bonded.

smurder187, Apr 15, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance - Dark amber, light tan creamy head with nice retention.

Smell - Vanilla, hazelnut, cocoa dominate the aroma with some caramel in the background.

Taste - Flavor follows the aroma with a rich, hazelnut character and caramel malt. A very slight amount of the bitterness keeps it from being too sweet and keeps you wanting more. Tastes almost like a root beer float, delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation but fitting for the style, very smooth and weighs nicely on the palate.

Overall - An amazing twist on a brown ale, you could down more than a few of these.

californiakebab, Aug 13, 2011

Mowgli87, Jun 26, 2014

CaliforniaJohnson, Aug 18, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was really looking forward to trying this. Thank God, it was already chilled so I didn't have to wait at home. It poured an attractive brown with a decent head but nothing amzing. When I smelled it I cought something that I thought for sure was soy sauce, it might have been the marraige of the hops and the hazelnut, I don't know, but that's just what I smelled. When I tasted it though it was absolutely awesome! So was the mouthfeel. This is a beer I could drink a lot of. Hopefull they will put this in sixers (I've only seen the big 22 oz bottles). I definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Domo arigato Morimotosan!

beragg, Oct 03, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

Pours dark reddish brown, kind of a caramel like color. Thick creamy head is tan in color. Head does not last long. Lacing on the glass is minimal.

The aroma is extremely malty and nutty. I can't really smell any hops over the breadiness of this one. It really makes me think of a can of nuts, which is not a bad thing.

Body is light and carbonation is medium. Initial taste is sweet, followed by breadiness. Aftertaste is a very nice malty flavor, which doesn't last long. Not much bitterness to this beer.

Drinkability is excellent! It goes down very easy, does not taste very alcoholic at all. The flavor is just complex enough to keep you interested, but easy enough to slam a pint at the same time. This is the third or fourth time I've had this beer, and it is quickly becoming one of my staples.

kylephillips, Oct 21, 2008

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Beautiful huge fluffy 2 inch light tan head, dies down semi-quickly but leaves quite a bit of foam on the glass on it's way down. Lacing is really just foam so far, but lots of it. Amber resin colored, held up to light it's stop light red. Kinda hazy, but not much visable carbonation at all.

Guy on the bottle looks like Mike Mogis. Very cool.

S - Sweet and creamy. Hazelnut monin syrup. Malty malt.

T - Hazelnut for sure. I used to be a Barista at a coffee shop, and it tastes like the hazelnut syrup we used for lattes, only better. Milk Chocolate, roasty malt, subtle chickory undertones. Hoppy sourness in the background.

M - Super creamy. Super smooth. Barely any prickle, which suits it nicely.

D/Overall - It's a great beer for sure, but I couldn't do it too often. I'm a hazelnut freak, and I seek out hazelnut ingredients in everything I consume, but this is too sweet to drink all the time. Don't get me wrong, the sweetness is very well balanced and I enjoy it thoroughly, but I'm afraid it could get old over time. Still, this is a great beer for special occasions and entertaining.

inxy, Jan 21, 2010