Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Nice nut brown color with a tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnuts in it. I was floored by the hazelnut and roasted malty combination. Slight maple syrup flavor as well. all of this is ballanced with some nice noble hops. I had given up on brown ales as being to boring, but now I an prompted to go out an brew one for myself.

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with little to no head.

Smell: I really liked the smell. Smells of roasted malts and the hazelnut really sticks out. Interesting.

Taste: Hazelnut! It's actually very good and complements the malts. There is a little bitterness but not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel: It's a lot less watery than most browns I've tried. Good carbonation too. Not thin at all either.

Drinkability: While I like the taste, I don't think I could drink much of it. I'm splitting the bottle with my friend and I think that's enough for me. Too much nuts to drink in excess.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Rich brown in color; not quite dark brown but not an amber. To achieve any head at all requires an improper pour. Mouthfeel is ok; has a good flavor but not much complexity. Reminds me of a typical dark domestic macro brew. Has a pleasant nutty, yet watery aftertaste. Yes its very drinkable and light enough to drink more than one. The problem with this beer is it probably won't appeal to dark beer drinkers nor the pilsner drinker. Good allaround beer, best described as the Jan Brady of Rogue beers.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Consumed on 4/19/09. Poured bottle into pint glass.

Nice carbonated light brown, with relatively minimal head. Smells nice and sweet, with caramel, toffee and honey dominating the scent. Taste largely reflects the smell, and is light and a little malty. A little bit syrupy, but tremendously drinkable and a wonderful session brew.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In the glass a deep brown with a nice head.
I didn't get to the aroma much I have to confess. I was at a party and was busy meeting lots of people.
The taste of the beer hit me from the first sip though.
This had more body and flavour to it than any brown ale I'd had while on the holiday I was on, and there'd been a good half dozen or so.
The flavour was rich, with nuttiness and chocolate malt throughout.
The mouthfeel was lovely and smooth.
I would rate the drinkability as I didn't find it as sweet as some other reviews here seem to suggest. I could have downed a few of these (In fact I did get it again to give to my father in law whose quite fond of a brown ale)

This rates as the best brown ale I've ever tried, hands down.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on tap at the Rogue Public House, San Francisco

A: Poured a lovely deep copper colour, with an exceptional head. A really attractive beer that looked like a promo shot.

S: Toasted malts, toffee, and of course, hazelnuts...

T: VERY tasty. Begins with hazelnuts and toffee sweetness, almost like a candy bar for the first moment, but recedes into lovely toasted grains. The sweetness lasted throughout, making it not bitter at all.

MF/D: Decently solid, nice carbonation. It's not the greatest beer to hold in your mouth, certainly not the worst. But it goes down beautifully, and is extremely drinkable. Very well balanced, and a must to try. (For an interesting beverage, ask for a black and tan with this and their chocolate stout!)

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Brown Nectar is one of those beers I get excited about no matter how many times I've had it, and whether it's coming to me from a bottle or on-tap. Every time I have this beer it's like a pick-me-up, my mood goes from whatever to great in a matter of sips. Strong hazelnut flavor, from a rich translucent brown body with medium carbonation and foamy head. I highly recommend drinking Brown Nectar in a bathtub or in the hot sun, highly refreshing, crisp, sweet, nutty taste. From my experience this seems to be the case with Rogue, they don't make any crazy zany beers of experimental styles or in the hazy realm of deep palate tasting notes. Rogue makes good-ass beers, in whatever department they chose. They may not be the craziest, or the finest, but DAMMIT they're the beerest (coining that phrase, btw.)

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bomber.

A: Very deep honey color. 1 1/2 finger head that lingers. Nice and creamy.

S: Very nutty and sweet. Can't miss the "nectar"!

T: Slight hops in the finish. Not as sweet as expected, lots of roasted goodness! Strong hazelnut.

M: A little chewy.... but has an almost rootbeer feel to it. Very smooth.

O: A great brown, truly hard to match. I would love to try it on draft!

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head with little retention and moderate lacing. Smell is filled with delicious hazelnut and sweet, grainy malts without many hop notes. Taste is a little underwhelming after the promising aroma, but bready dark malts mix with a creamy nuttiness in a subdued manner that could use a little enhancement. Slight hop notes and a mild lasting bitterness complete each sip. Feels a little thin in the mouth and displays moderate carbonation.

I really enjoy Rogue, but I wish the flavor was a little more intense as the thin mouthfeel kind of diminishes the overall impact. Buff up the body and taste and you'd have something great -- but still, without a doubt a very good beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a dark brown with a tan colored head

S- Malty and Nutty

T- This is my favorite brown ale by far! Malty, nutty and sweet but balanced with a little hops. It’s the hops that makes this my favorite brown ale because it just helps balance out the malts; but its still a good malty beer overall that has a medium body.

Food Pairing- Cheeseburger or BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Some artificial flavors on the nose, but overall a tasty brew for a cold December evening

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

I really like this offering from Rogue. It is very unique to say the least. A beautiful glass of beer that is dark brown with a very thin, lacy head. Smell is very nice...yep, hazelnut, and just an overall 'nutty' smell. A fairly strong aroma. Taste is again 'nutty' and very malty as well. A somewhat carbonated mouthfeel, but its not too much. I'm actually reviewing this from my notes of a couple of days ago, and I had a question mark beside my 3.5 mouthfeel rating. I was comtemplating going a notch higher, but decided to leave it as is. I'll certainly be having another, and if this rating changes, I'll update it. A very drinkable, complex, and 'different' Rogue that is very enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Served out of a 22 oz brown bottle into a chimay chalice.

This beer pours a deep carmel color with a 1/2 inch head. You can smell the hazelnuts in this brew and some other nuttyness mabey almonds.

Taste is malty no real noticable hops here a bit bitter on the finish. The head dissapears fairly quickly with minimal lacing. A medium bodied beer but very tasty. The taste of the nuts really explodes in your mouth. A good desert beer. If I can find this brew again I will buy some more for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

A- At first glance, it appeared to pour a dark brown color, but hold it up the light and it is a nice deep red tint. Also, if poured correctly, it leaves a nice head that leaves an even lace around the glass.

S- Really nice hazelnut, chocolate, caramel, and perhaps some coffee hints. Sweet, one of the better smelling beers for sure.

T- Tastes very similar to the smell. Nutty with roasted malts. Sweet with some coffee hints.

M- Medium body, perfect for the type of ale. Some people say it feels watery, but I don't think so all. Some moderate carbonation. Not very hoppy, but excellent balance. Strong roasted malts.

D- Very good, however I had a 22 ounce bottle and I think that may be enough. Not a beer I would ever want to session with, but definitely a great dessert beer

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales