Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber, shared with BAs brun, glard and NYManc.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Barely translucent brown color with lots of visual carbonation. Thin wispy tan head with quick dissipation but leaving of some nice soapy and sudsy lacing. Smell is the amazing feat of the beer: a sugary caramel-like coating of the toasted hazelnuts with a hint of chocolate sweetness. Very subtle amount of malt too.

Taste is particularly light overall. Thin malt backbone to start with small embellishments of a hazelnut characteristic. Small amount of sweetness and a distinct metallic flavor at the finish. Not much to speak off in terms of the flavors. Could have been a bit more consistent with the aromas, but that's wishful thinking.

Mouthfeel lacks in depth as it's noticeably light as well. Thin feel with a small carbonated presence, though it's very easily drinkable overall. Just wished it was a bit more substantially bigger in flavor.

infi, Jan 15, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a becker glass.

Pours a cloudy, dark caramel brown color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Head settles to a nice wispy lacy island. Nice lacing the whole session. Good looking brew.

Brew smells nutty; hazelnut, caramel, barley malts, chocolate. Some hops are also detected. Very good smelling brew.

Brew is medium and gets smooth in the middle. Creamy, malty and nutty. Can detect the hazelnut for sure, chocolate and barley in there as well. Brew finishes slightly dry, way smooth. Really drinkable brew here. Wow very, very good stuff here.

This is a damn fine brew. A fantastic brown ale. This is some serious sessionable stuff here. My wife stole half my brew. Brew is great in every aspect. Another top shelf brew from Rogue.

magine, Jan 14, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

I usually review on the spot and I did but my review was deleted. I'm going to go by memory this time around.

Look: Ruby Raspberry and a khaki head.

Smell: Hazelnut upfront and some oats.

Taste: Totally blew me away! Sweet hazelnut, honey, toffee and I'm thinking some oatmeal. They mentioned chocolate in the ingredients but more of a milk chocolate stout flavor. I did not expect this delicious taste from what I smelled. Hands down one of the best by Rogue and best tasting beer I've had in a while.

Mouth Feel: Medium in body. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Felt great in the mouth and going down. Left the mouth feeling a little dry at the end.

Drink Ability: I could drink this all night. Not filling. Delicious tasting. No booze taste at all. I wish I bought another one so I could drink some more now.

9InchNails, Jan 11, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

As soon as I opened the bottle I can smell the sweet Hazelnut. It also has some cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar notes. The smell is definitely strong, if you've got a sweet tooth this is your beer.

It pours pretty good. The head is about 1 1/2 inch. The head goes down rather fast after pours, lacing is weak. Its a very slightly foggy copper color. After setting it down for 2 minutes to cool down the head and lacing were almost completely gone.

The taste is quite the same as it's smell, if not slightly more tamed. Very sweet beer, again, if you have a sweet tooth this is your beer. The hazelnut and brown sugar hit your mouth instanly, hops are present, but very minimally. The mouthfeel is light, I can see myself drinking more than one bottle easily. Reminds me of a pumpkin ale without the pumpkin. If you want a strong beer you might want to skip this one, I however quite liked it.

In conclusion, this was a pretty good beer. I definitely see myself trying this again on a day where I crave sweets. I would not recommend this for anyone who enjoys fuller bodied beers, or hoppy beers for that matter.

GusDom, Jan 07, 2011

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed.

bvarn, Jan 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

-2010 bottle tasted on Jan 1st 2011- (rating based on later review)
A - Deep cherry amber. Light head with low retention.

S - Sweet brown sugar, and Nutella.

T - Nutella mirrored from the nose. Lighter breads. Touch of caramel and fresh apricots.

M - Light body with a smooth sweet finish. Nice carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Great flavor and a smooth character.

-2011 bottle labled as Morimoto Hazelnut tasted May 2011- (rating based on this review)
A – Ruby maple. Lightly off-white head sits low with poor lace.

S – Great toasted pecan and hazelnut nose.

T – Huge roasted hazelnut flavor dominates the profile. Soft malt mid. Sweet pecan finish. Fantastic.

M – Light body but not watery. Lightly sweet finish with a lingering toasted hazelnut flavor.

O – The hazelnut in this beer is incredible. The toasted character is warm and soothing, with soft edges that are noticeably absent of burnt notes.

vfgccp, Jan 01, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

A- Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white head. Head quickly turns into a layer of bubbles, has good retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Smells very sweet. Bready, caramel and toffee malts with a very strong hazelnut smell.

T- Taste is very sweet, toasted nutty and bread malts. Hazelnut taste comes through here. Overall, just too sweet for my liking.

M- Medium in body and a bit on the lower side of carbonation.

D- Just too sweet for me. I don't think I'll have this one again.

nrbw23, Dec 28, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into a tall mug from a 22oz bomber with no freshness date provided.

Appearance- 3.5 out of 5. Two fingers of extremely creamy tan lace top a dark ruddy-brown beer. It's enthralling to watch the remarkably active carbonation tear through the brew. There is no hint of any discoloration from the extract. It is clear in the light but otherwise opaque, making it more umbral than a normal brown ale.

Smell- 4.5 out of 5. There's nothing standard about the nose. Rogue was clever to take a typical Brown Ale note and amplify it with actual extract; this stuff smells like hazelnut mocha mixed with beer. It's unusual but interesting. Hints of caramel and bread crust linger beneath the nuttiness. Regardless of how it tastes, I'd be tempted to leave a few glasses of this lying around the house just to make the place smell nice.

Taste- 3 out of 5. Toasty, roasty malt backs up a huge wave of hazelnut. It's intense but still a hair away from being overpowering. Caramel, cherries, and plums mingle in the mouth along with a strange smokey-sweet combination. Whatever hops Rogue used are utterly lost in the hazelnut wave, as is any taste of alcohol. A smokey, nutty aftertaste sticks around for a while. The taste is pleasant, but I'm not inclined to drink great quantities. This seems like more of a dessert beer.

Mouthfeel- 3 out of 5. Creamy but still manages to stay moderate in body. Because of the strong hazelnut flavor, it's easier to sip than quaff. A bit of stickiness lasts on the lips.

Drinkability- 3 out of 5. With some smoked barbeque or some German chocolate cake, this would be awesome. In the absence of complimentary cuisine, however, it's a bit too strong to drink more than one 22oz bottle-- even I had a hard time finishing it. It was a good experience and not a bad drink by any means, but barring a drastic influx of pork and cake into my diet, I won't be picking up another. It would be great to split with a friend or two after dinner.

jporf911, Dec 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

A: creamy, dark brown, hint of burnt sienna color, great lacing.

S: nutty, toffee, hint of roast notes.

T: hint of sweet in the front, mild nutty/toffee character.

M: smooth, creamy, good carbonation.

D: Amazing brown ale! This is my one of my favorite brown ales and I could definitely have more than a few of these delightful brews.

BeerLover99, Dec 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with hints of red. Leaves some nice lacing

S: Malty with a nutty character, definitely some hazelnut

T: Matches the smell, with a nice sweetness that isn't overbearing

M: Creamy with a good amount of carbonation

D: Great drinkability, I'd definitely have a bomber along with desert any day

BEERMILER12, Dec 19, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A. Poured a dark clear copper with a short off white diminishing head good lacing on the glass.

S. Hazelnut, malt, leaves, maple

T. The hazlenut is the star of the flavor, nutty, and earthy, maple and sweet but then the bitterness hits, and lasts. Really a great balanced brew.

M. Medium bodied lots of carbonation sweet and sticky on the tongue, great duration.

D. A really good brew I expected the sweetness however I wasn't ready for the bitter finish. Great balance and a good brew.

smibroncos, Dec 19, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

1000+ reviews?! Crap. You guys are gaga over this stuff. I must be missing something.

Anyways, I received my 22 oz. bottle as a gift. I usually don't buy Rogue's beers cuz I honestly think they are overpriced. Yup, I said it!

The Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale (a name I don't really understand--nectar? really?) looks like the way a brown ale should: light brownish red/copper. It has a light, thin, clear body. There was a quickly receding light khaki head with nice lacing. This is an appetizing and attractive looking beer.

The smell is mocha, lager, sweet and nutty. It smells like a good cigar--which is the hazelnut, I guess. Coffee and mocha are the most dominant aromas. The smell is better and more interesting than the taste.

The first taste was nutty and sweet. The hazelnut is very apparent and there is definitely a cigar-like quality, which seems out of place for this style. As I continued drinking, the flavors progressed to a standard, nutty lager-crispness of a brown ale. This beer has a very light caramel and fruit quality to it which was interesting. Midway through, there was a firm chocolatey and smokey quality that rose up and never went away.

CONCLUSION: Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar is very light and drinkable and an interesting representation of a brown ale with a twist. However, I think it's maybe a bit too stout-like for a brown. Regardless, it still tastes pretty good to me even though I'm not a big fan of this style.

This would probably be a must-try if you're crazy for brown ales. Otherwise, you're not missing much if you pass.

MadeInOregon, Dec 15, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer pours an aber color with an off white head, like a light tan color. The aroma of this beer smells of rich in malt, there is also a hint of nutty aroma. The taste is strong with nutty sweetness to it. Classic brown ale taste to it. There is a hazlenut sweetness to it, although you can tell its extract. The mouthfeel is medium, and is a drinkable beer.

arboristfish, Dec 14, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

mjw2808, Dec 11, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A - cloudy amber brown with a short tan head leaving a thin lace ring
S - hazelnut, light syrupy, cherry, and bready malt
T - super sweet with hazelnut, sweet molasses, caramel & bready malts
M - silky smooth syrupy texture that coats the mouth
D - very sweet and different, reminded me of a port in terms of its syrupy sweetness and feel, a delicious desert that is very drinkable
As a side note, i tried mixing this with the chocolate stout on the advice of a local Rogue rep and it was awesome!

joemcgrath27, Dec 07, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Has a amber-brown appearance with a decent tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnut and it carries through into the taste. Smooth and malty with little bitterness. It was easy going down and not overly carbonated. Altough not one of my favorites, I definitely enjoyed it and would order again.

bellafromsocal, Dec 01, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Nice reddish brown color with a tan head.

Woody, sweet aroma.

Taste is good. Malty with some hazelnut. Very mild bitterness. I also detect a little something spicy, not sure what that's from.

Has a good level of carbonation, but overall seems a little thin to me. Could use a little more residual sugar I think.

Not sure I would have again on it's own, but perhaps paired with the appropriate cheese or something it would be worth revisiting.

thekoz, Nov 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Looks: like toasted nuts. Deep amber-orange, fairly hazy, with a fuzzy one-finger head of medium tan that quickly fades to a substantial sticky ring.

Smells: like caramel popcorn. Both nicely sweet and intensely nutty, I get notes of caramel, crackers, toasted corn, hazelnut, marzipan and a bit of earthy hops.

Tastes: like a tiny bit of bitter coffee flavored with a big squirt of hazelnut syrup. Lightly toasted crackers and earthy hops come out at the swallow, and the finish is nice and crisp. I the balance here; it's just slightly more bitter than sweet, with just enough toastiness to match.

Feels: brisk. Light, tingly carbonation, only lightly fizzy and medium in body.

Drinks: like one of the better browns out there. It's smooth, balanced, and dammit, I loves me some hazelnuts.

Phelps, Nov 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark walnut color with an extreme head and very good retention.

S- the bottle says hazelnut and it doesn't disappoint with scents of honey and buttercreme mixed in as well.

T- very nutty with a toffee flavor up front. This is followed by a flavor of malted milk that rounds out the taste nicely. Actually quite sweet, very unique flavor.

M- very smooth from start to finish

D- Very unique flavor, I think Rogue probably accomplished what they wanted to do with this beer, but I found it to be a little too sweet, and while the flavor was good, I can't see myself drinking multiples or going back for this one again.

Franz4, Nov 26, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance:
Deep amber-brownish color, hazy. Very creamy head. Lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Aroma:
Very malty in the nose.... Toffee, honey, tons of sweet hazelnut and toasted malts.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Very rich maltiness up front, hazelnut, toffee, honey, toasted malts. Very mild bitterness from the hops in the middle, a little earthy/tea-like. Slight roasted coffee at the end. Mouthfeel is awesome, very silk and creamy.

Finish & Aftertaste:
Very smooth, slight roasted aftertaste.

Overall Impressions:
Very complex for a brown ale, yet very drinkable. Truly one of my favorite.

mjurney, Nov 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into my Sam Adams Turbinator glass.

A - Pours a nice deep brown with some slight reddish highlights. Nice head that sticks around for a bit with excellent retention.

S - Rich roasted malts and lots of nutty hazelnut. Smell is really enticing and impressive.

T - Smooth sweet malt hits first, followed by the nutty notes with a bit of hop bitterness. A bit earthy and oak-ey. Really well balanced.

M - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is perfect.

D - Excellent. It's a delicious beer at a sessionable abv with an overall smooth taste and character.

Notes: I love a good brown ale and this one just shot toward the top of my list.

BatDaddy, Nov 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

beautiful brown nice light tan head and good lacing

Beautiful hazelnut and crystal malts. The hazelnut is subtle but accompanies the malt to be very smooth wonderful

The malt and hazelnut appears and finish together. It is smooth throughout very well put together. The crystal malts and the hazelnut are lite but are wonderful. This is perhaps the best example of how use of ingredients outside the 4 can make a wonderful beer.

bishopdc0, Nov 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

A: deep brown w reddish highlights. Perfectly clear. Nice tan head and lacing.
S: toffee/dark caramel, nuts, cocoa.
T: lightly sweet nutty malts overtaken by a nutty sourish twang. Somewhat astringent dry finish. Sourness faded some as it warmed.
M: nicely carbonated. A bit puckering. Light to medium body.
D: a little more sweet and a little less sour woulda done it for me. Lacked the malty richness I expected.

MrMcGibblets, Nov 14, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Awesomeness, DRINK IT NOW!
Beer tasting is not serious anyway, but this is good stuff. If you dont know what a brown ale is...SHAME ON YOU!
It looked brown, tasted like nectar would to bees (consider we are human) very smooth. I could drink this for a substitute of juice for breakfast any day. The only complaint is the bottle should be bigger or come in six pack of cans, cause I could shotgun about 6 of these bastards.

ZumbieBeerBear, Nov 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from bomber into a SA Perfect Pint Glass

A - Pours a nice brown/amber color. Small head that quickly dissipates with a very small amount of lacing.

S - Holy hazelnut. First thing I get is a strong aroma of hazelnut along with a malty scent in the background.

T - First thing I get is the roasted hazelnut. Good balance between sweet and bitter. More nuts as well as a slight caramel flavor.

M - Light to medium body with minimal carbonation.

D - Very smooth and drinkable brown ale. I love hazelnuts so this beer really hit the spot for me.

BennyL1, Nov 10, 2010