Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

mjw2808, Dec 11, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A - cloudy amber brown with a short tan head leaving a thin lace ring
S - hazelnut, light syrupy, cherry, and bready malt
T - super sweet with hazelnut, sweet molasses, caramel & bready malts
M - silky smooth syrupy texture that coats the mouth
D - very sweet and different, reminded me of a port in terms of its syrupy sweetness and feel, a delicious desert that is very drinkable
As a side note, i tried mixing this with the chocolate stout on the advice of a local Rogue rep and it was awesome!

joemcgrath27, Dec 07, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Has a amber-brown appearance with a decent tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnut and it carries through into the taste. Smooth and malty with little bitterness. It was easy going down and not overly carbonated. Altough not one of my favorites, I definitely enjoyed it and would order again.

bellafromsocal, Dec 01, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Nice reddish brown color with a tan head.

Woody, sweet aroma.

Taste is good. Malty with some hazelnut. Very mild bitterness. I also detect a little something spicy, not sure what that's from.

Has a good level of carbonation, but overall seems a little thin to me. Could use a little more residual sugar I think.

Not sure I would have again on it's own, but perhaps paired with the appropriate cheese or something it would be worth revisiting.

thekoz, Nov 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Looks: like toasted nuts. Deep amber-orange, fairly hazy, with a fuzzy one-finger head of medium tan that quickly fades to a substantial sticky ring.

Smells: like caramel popcorn. Both nicely sweet and intensely nutty, I get notes of caramel, crackers, toasted corn, hazelnut, marzipan and a bit of earthy hops.

Tastes: like a tiny bit of bitter coffee flavored with a big squirt of hazelnut syrup. Lightly toasted crackers and earthy hops come out at the swallow, and the finish is nice and crisp. I the balance here; it's just slightly more bitter than sweet, with just enough toastiness to match.

Feels: brisk. Light, tingly carbonation, only lightly fizzy and medium in body.

Drinks: like one of the better browns out there. It's smooth, balanced, and dammit, I loves me some hazelnuts.

Phelps, Nov 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark walnut color with an extreme head and very good retention.

S- the bottle says hazelnut and it doesn't disappoint with scents of honey and buttercreme mixed in as well.

T- very nutty with a toffee flavor up front. This is followed by a flavor of malted milk that rounds out the taste nicely. Actually quite sweet, very unique flavor.

M- very smooth from start to finish

D- Very unique flavor, I think Rogue probably accomplished what they wanted to do with this beer, but I found it to be a little too sweet, and while the flavor was good, I can't see myself drinking multiples or going back for this one again.

Franz4, Nov 26, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance:
Deep amber-brownish color, hazy. Very creamy head. Lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Aroma:
Very malty in the nose.... Toffee, honey, tons of sweet hazelnut and toasted malts.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Very rich maltiness up front, hazelnut, toffee, honey, toasted malts. Very mild bitterness from the hops in the middle, a little earthy/tea-like. Slight roasted coffee at the end. Mouthfeel is awesome, very silk and creamy.

Finish & Aftertaste:
Very smooth, slight roasted aftertaste.

Overall Impressions:
Very complex for a brown ale, yet very drinkable. Truly one of my favorite.

mjurney, Nov 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into my Sam Adams Turbinator glass.

A - Pours a nice deep brown with some slight reddish highlights. Nice head that sticks around for a bit with excellent retention.

S - Rich roasted malts and lots of nutty hazelnut. Smell is really enticing and impressive.

T - Smooth sweet malt hits first, followed by the nutty notes with a bit of hop bitterness. A bit earthy and oak-ey. Really well balanced.

M - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is perfect.

D - Excellent. It's a delicious beer at a sessionable abv with an overall smooth taste and character.

Notes: I love a good brown ale and this one just shot toward the top of my list.

BatDaddy, Nov 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

beautiful brown nice light tan head and good lacing

Beautiful hazelnut and crystal malts. The hazelnut is subtle but accompanies the malt to be very smooth wonderful

The malt and hazelnut appears and finish together. It is smooth throughout very well put together. The crystal malts and the hazelnut are lite but are wonderful. This is perhaps the best example of how use of ingredients outside the 4 can make a wonderful beer.

bishopdc0, Nov 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

A: deep brown w reddish highlights. Perfectly clear. Nice tan head and lacing.
S: toffee/dark caramel, nuts, cocoa.
T: lightly sweet nutty malts overtaken by a nutty sourish twang. Somewhat astringent dry finish. Sourness faded some as it warmed.
M: nicely carbonated. A bit puckering. Light to medium body.
D: a little more sweet and a little less sour woulda done it for me. Lacked the malty richness I expected.

MrMcGibblets, Nov 14, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Awesomeness, DRINK IT NOW!
Beer tasting is not serious anyway, but this is good stuff. If you dont know what a brown ale is...SHAME ON YOU!
It looked brown, tasted like nectar would to bees (consider we are human) very smooth. I could drink this for a substitute of juice for breakfast any day. The only complaint is the bottle should be bigger or come in six pack of cans, cause I could shotgun about 6 of these bastards.

ZumbieBeerBear, Nov 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from bomber into a SA Perfect Pint Glass

A - Pours a nice brown/amber color. Small head that quickly dissipates with a very small amount of lacing.

S - Holy hazelnut. First thing I get is a strong aroma of hazelnut along with a malty scent in the background.

T - First thing I get is the roasted hazelnut. Good balance between sweet and bitter. More nuts as well as a slight caramel flavor.

M - Light to medium body with minimal carbonation.

D - Very smooth and drinkable brown ale. I love hazelnuts so this beer really hit the spot for me.

BennyL1, Nov 10, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I split this with a couple of friends today.

Pouring dark brown with a thin, brown head that recedes to a ring rather quick. This is decent. The nose is just a little disappointing. Caramel and some brown sugar are noticeable, but what jumps right out are soggy corn flakes (unsweetened). Initially, the hazelnut is REALLY strong, but it gently fades, bringing a some of balance. The palate opens lightly sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and quite a bit of hazelnut flavor. Again, I get a strange soggy cereal flavor, rather off-putting. Mildly sweet on the finish, this is medium-light in body and has moderate carbonation. I don't know if this bottle is off, but this isn't all that enjoyable.

DefenCorps, Nov 05, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think bitter is the right word, but it was just too bitter for my palate.

A: A nice amber color with a good brownish head the went away fairly quickly. A quality product.

S: I don't get any hazelnut notes, but there is definitely sweetness. Maybe Carmel?

T: Helps if this one warms a bit. This is a beer that is meant to be sipped and examined, instead of downed.

M: I like brown ales, but there is something about this one that just didn't do it for me on the palate. Had a weird taste that I can't describe. I've never had a hazelnut flavored beer and that could be my problem.

D: Again, since this didn't do it for me, the drinkability wasn't there for me. I had a hard time wanting to go back for more sips.

I can see why some would really enjoy this, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

mbrown26, Nov 01, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

second brew of the night. Rogue makes some great brews with wicked distribution

A- pours a light brown appearance. Not completely opaque and not much for a head. Unfortunately, it's not that inviting

S- a dry and nutty sweet scent is present. There are some earthy scents and a slight dark hazelnut malt scent. Even a little bit of subtle sugar is there

T- delicious taste of the hazelnut theme with sweet and dry earthy tones. There are some bitter tones that mingle with the expect coffee taste. A little thin but good

M- medium bodied but creamy. Very tasty

D- ok the good part... I can slam this! Very drinkable and tasty at the same time. Not the best depiction of the style but still very good

lovindahops, Oct 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

This bottle was a birthday gift from my amazing wife, Krista. Thank you.

A - Minimal carbonation in a pale mahogany, transparent body. The head is rather frothy and starts out at a couple inches. It fades to an eighth of an inch where it maintains itself well in a light tan cloak.

S - The aromas are subtle indeed. The scent of earth and wood are most prevalent along side a hint of molasses. Based on the aroma I expect a rather aggressive taste.

T - Woody and slightly sweet before finishing with a trace coffee flavor. This is a very good tasting Brown Ale.

M - Smooth, it goes down very well. The lack of visual carbonation in the appearance is supported here with nearly no coarse texture to note.

~ I'm not a huge brown ale fan. However, this beer is very drinkable and offers a unique complexity not often found in the style. I was not a huge fan of the style because I had not tried this beer before today. The character of this beer is for what other Brown Ale brewers should strive to meet.

cdkrenz, Oct 24, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

First off I would like to note that I'm a little pissed off at Rogue for tricking me. I bought this beer under the name Rogue Morimoto Hazelnut Signature Ale, only to come home to review it and learn that it is really just Hazelnut Brown Nectar (which I have already had) and the whole morimoto signature ale name is just an alias. Not cool in my book. but anyways...

A - Dark brown with a reddish tint. Small head that barely clung to the glass.

S - Can definetly smell the hazelnuts and chocolate.

T - I can really taste the hazelnuts in this which I really like. It starts out sweet then ends with a bitter finish.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation I'd say. Bitterness sticks to the back of your tongue at the end.

D - Goes down very smooth, I could easily put down a few of these without much effort.

So overall I really like this beer. It's great, and its different. I really think they pulled off the whole hazelnut thing, which I was very skeptical about at first since I don't really like hazelnut coffee or anything like that. This beer is an exception though, it is just delicious. Good job rogue, just don't trick me again!

JizackFH, Oct 22, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

This is not really a sessions beer; it wants to be more of a long-lasting sipping beer. However I found it a little lacking in overall body and the nutty flavor left a slight aftertaste that became a little intolerable deep into the drink--almost wanted something else to wash it down with. But a fine different flavor while fresh and cold.

color: deep golden brown amber
light quickly dissipating head

smell: lightly of true hazelnut, not hoppy

taste: first off, very light hops and more malted warmth, with hazel nuttiness on the tongue; the hazel becomes more predominant on exhale and is a slight residual flavor in the back of mouth, a bit dry and bitter but true hazelnut flavored if you like that.

mouthfeel: a bit thin, though uncarbonated and drinkable

drinkability: I gave lowmarks for the residual slight aftertaste; a quaffer, not a sipper!

katybee, Oct 21, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice chestnut brown color with a big foamy head that sticks to the glass as it recedes. Just a little bit of haze to the body of they with some red hues coming through. The aroma is unreal on this brown ale. Big time hazelnut aroma like fresh toasted hazelnuts. A bit of honey and brown sugar on the nose also. Pretty much the best smelling beer ever. The flavor drops off for me a bit as it's extremely dry and get a hint of astringent flavors. Really nutty and malty with very little hops. Also a bit thin for me. Nice lingering sweet flavors of roasted hazelnuts but the carbonation is a bit high for me and this really would be better if it was creamier or had nitro. Drinkability is good and this beer is delicious. Worth the 4.99 a bomber and would really open up with some roasted pork or a steak sandwich.

Augustiner719, Oct 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Coffee with hazelnut syrup in it is candy coffee. Beer with hazelnut nectar (aka syrup) is... not as bad as candy beer. I normally avoid beer with additives in it, like fruit and nuts and coffee and veggies. However, I like Rogue and I trusted them not to screw this up. Fortunately I was right this time.

Far more complex than I expected, this starts with a coppery, shimmery color and a thin head. The hazelnuts are prominent in the aroma, but so is the malt which successfully elbows the nuts aside. I found some butter in the smell as well. Butter in my beer? There's a Nutella feel to the aroma which carries over into the taste: it's a sweetness that stops short of icky, but still manages not to overtake the better parts of the beer. It has the feel of a cake cone, in fact (but there's no ice cream). Low in carbonation, light in body, and there's a dusty finish that tastes a bit like the smell of my favorite library. Very low in hops and bitterness.

Worth a try, but only once. Despite my harsh feelings towards hazelnuts, I liked this.

gfreed, Oct 17, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours brown with ruby highlights and a thick, quickly fading light tan head.
Nose shows rich toasty and nutty malt with unmistakeable sweet hazelnut also quite prominent.
Similar flavours, very soft and easy-going with little bitterness in the finish.
Carbonation is a little high.

CrazyDavros, Oct 16, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Restrained aroma....somewhat sweet on the nose...nutty.

Dark brown in the glass...small head. Clear.

From the taste, I can tell why the refer to it as "nectar". It definitely has a nuttiness about it, but there's also a good deal of butterscotch, hazlenut sweetness in the body as well. Hops are very restrained in the back...a bit of sweetness hangs around after the swallow.

It's unlike anything I've had before to be honest. The hazlenut is as pronounced here as you'll find it anywhere, and this is about as sweet of a brown ale you'll find.

NODAK, Oct 14, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

This is one of my favorite beers, I believe this was my first craft brew years ago. Brown in color, with an intense hazenut smell. Big nutty flavor, smooth malty finish. If you love hazenuts you will love this brew. The beer brings to the table exactly what it describes.

beersensei305, Oct 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a maple syrup brown with a lovely thick almost three finger head. It is pretty crytal clear, and the head lasts a while then lays down into a thick layer of film.
This beer smells very dry roasty and nutty. As dry as the Filberts inside of it.
Upon tasting it took a few sips for the Hazelnuts to open up. They aren't very bold but their presence gives this dry brown ale a very refined nutty sweetness. The beer itself is caramely, nutty and dry with a faint hint of hops in the finish.
The feel is very smooth with a medium carbonation and a fairly thin body which makes it too easy to drink.
One of my first brown ales and one that I still visit quite often.

cooch69, Oct 07, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

22oz bomber poured into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Opaque brown color. Very little carbonation and foamy white head with poor retention and lacing.

S- sweet malty character and hazelnut.

T- Roasty malt flavor and hazelnut definitely comes through. This beer is hindered from the fact that it is very flat. No date on the bottle so I cant tell if it is old, but it might be.

M- Very thin, little carbonation.

D- Easy drinking brown ale. Not high in alcohol or strong flavor, but flavor doesn't leave me wanting more. I actually thought I dumping out the rest of the bottle.

Notes: Judging from the high reviews this beer has gotten I am guessing I got an old bottle. Does anyone know when this beer is brewed so I can get a fresh bottle?

chrisgn, Oct 04, 2010