Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a glass mug.

A: Poured vigorously, the bottle gives up a mahogany-hued liquid with a short beige head. Lacing is minimal, and the color is quite beautiful. Sparse carbonation shows itself on the edges of the glass.

S: Malts are all over the nose of this one, along with an obvious sweetness. The hazelnut is not as apparent as I would've expected, although it lends a certain roasted aroma along with the darker malt.

T: Pleasantly sweet, with caramel and roasted malt being immediately noticeable. The hazelnut is much more available in the taste than the smell. Bitterness is at a minimum, but some hop bite is able to cut through the creamy sweetness.

M: Solid creamy texture on the palate, almost syrupy. It's a little thicker than other beers of it's style (Southern Pecan immediately comes to mind), which is a good thing. The beer is quite filling, but refreshing and enjoyable at the same time.

D: At first I thought, "I don't really think I like this one." The aroma was far to sweet, and it didn't bring enough nutty flavor to cut through the malt. The longer it sat, though, the more I was able to discern the rest of the flavors this beer has to offer. I would love to see this in stout form with darker malts. It would be like Ferrero Rocher in a glass.

charlesbyrd, Jul 30, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +15%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Brown with just a hint of red. Monsterous 3 finger tan head which left plenty of foamy lacing.

S - Like a creme brule or a hazelnut toffee. Deep but not powerful.

T - Covered in hazelnut and coffee. A hint of chocolate but not overbearing. Almost buttery in its sweetness but not sweet.

M - Very very balanced. Just a hint of carbonation and not too heavy while still being bold.

D - Its medium sweet and not over carbonated. I would call this a great evening beer but not quite a session beer unless you are really into browns. A little sweet for that perhaps.

LewisMartin, Jul 20, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - medium brown, slightly reddish tint. Thought it would be darker. Nice tan head, no lacing on mine once it dissipated.

S - smell is great on this one. Hazelnut dominates this one (I admit, it's my favorite creamer in my coffee, plus I've always got Frangelico on hand), but you also get maple syrup, molasses, toffee, even buttery aromas...I feel like I'm about to have a creme brulee or something, smell is totally dessert and in my opinion, the best part of this beer.

T - wonderful. Got this because I'm normally into heavier beers but wasn't feeling it today, and this was great. Not too sweet at all--smells like dessert but this isn't a dessert beer. You can definitely taste the hazelnut, but it's not too over-the-top. There's a bit of coffee in there as well, but it's not overly bitter. Deliciously malty.

M - delicious, very smooth. Carbonation is just right.

D - great. I won't have any problem putting away this bomber. Best brown I've had, I think. Not my favorite style at all (though now I want to try more), but I'd definitely drink this again when the mood strikes.

fragilehearted, Jul 18, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A darker beer, light brown, some red in the light prism. Nuttyaroma, euro hop smell.

Nutty and malty, but not overly thickening. Thinner than the appearance. Kinda tastes like it has oats even though the ingredients say no such thing. Chocolate nuts. Very slight chocolate. A real malt bomb without being thick. Not for hopheads. Always pricey when it comes to these guys.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 17, 2010

Pours a cherry wood color with a two-finger head that doesn't linger. Very little lacing. The aroma is quite intriguing and chiefly of hazelnut and pumpernickel bread.

The taste is hazelnut and molasses straight-away, followed by a nice slight hop bitterness that keeps it from being too syrupy-sweet while still leaving sweetness on the tongue afterward. It is medium-bodied with just enough carbonation to stave off the said syrupy-sweet sensation you find in so many others of this style.

This is an extremely quaffable beer and a nice option for a "bigger" (while not BIG) beer that allows you to down a few. Nicely done.

TexasTowHead, Jul 16, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

I was a bit skeptical, at the concept here, thought that the hazelnut was going to be overpowering. Boy! Did they prove me wrong!

A- it pours a redish, brown, copper, think maple syrup. Beautiful, delicious, two-finger head, nice lacing.

S- this was amazing you can smell it right when you open it .
Even other people in the room, turned there heads and asked what smelled sooo good. Very hazelnut, maple, fragrance. Toasted grains come through too. Something sweet too, almost molasses. Great!

T- as big as the smell was the taste is much more subtle. The hazelnut is definitely there. If your looking for hops, probably not your beer, but this is a malt persons dream. Smooth, very smooth beer. Sweet finish, with maple syrup like taste. Delicious!

M- this was surprising too me, it poured great, like a heavier beer but, it's very light, Lightly carbonated, a little sticky after your done.

D- I drank the 22oz bottle no problem. It was more to the thin side of the spectrum actually. Very drinkable. Great winter beer. I served mine just cooler than room temp.

This one is now in my rotation in fridge. Soo good! Kicking my self for not trying it sooner.

Loot, Jul 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

My 1st offering from Rogue, so I was looking forward to this one. Great pour, excellent foam, just blows up in the glass, nice red/brown color, it is slightly transparent.

I was surprised it was not darker, it also tasted a bit like a red ale to me, which was surprising to me. More refreshing than any other brown ale I have had, so I did like that, has a strong finish, a bit bitter, and you can taste the hazelnut in there as well. Well balanced beer, flavors blend well together and feel like they belong together. Nice continuity as well, transition from the beginning to end. Has a syrupy taste to it as well.

My only complaint is it could have been a little more rich for a brown ale, I do like them a bit darker.

I did enjoy this beer, I would get this if I am in the mood for something darker and flavorful, but doesn't really classify as a big beer for me, in that I could have a few of these and still be ok with it. Very solid.

Pittsburgh, Jul 08, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, unknown date, although a recent delivery.

Pours red-copper with a one finger tan head, holds a foamy cap, short-term lacing.

Strong hazelnut aroma, very nutty, buttery, heavy toast, somewhat sweet smelling, some caramel. A pretty unique and nice aroma.

Hazelnut also strong in the taste, maple syrup, dark bread, caramel, chocolate, some earthy hop bitterness for balance.

On the thin side, but still a bit syrupy, prickly carbonation.

The aroma is definitely my favorite aspect, solid Brown Ale overall.

elgiacomo, Jul 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a brown-amber color with a 1 finger off-white head. The aroma is great. A strong hazelnut rush and a hint of coco. The beer follows the aroma. Rich hazelnut malt is the showcase in this beer. There are also secondary chocolate, caramel and vanilla malts present. Great rich and creamy malts throughout. Light hops show near the finish, but it finishes sweet as the malts take over again. Great creamy mouthfeel and a good drinkability.

uustal, Jul 01, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a nice brown hue with a reddish tint at places. There is a beautiful off-white to tan head that dissipates to a nice thin layer.

It smells of roasted/toasted malts with a hint of chocolate. It also smells slightly sweet. The scent is not overpowering and it was tought to pick up what I did.

The beer is very smooth, silky even. There is a definite nutty sweetness to it with a hint of bubblegum fruitiness even. The mouthfeel is what sticks out on this one for me. I would have thought the nut characteristics would come thorugh more but it's really the slight sweetness and roasted bread flavor.

Very good beer. Extremely drinkable brown ale.

tchenery, Jun 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Reddish mahogany with a loosely formed light tan/off-white head.

S: Nutty hazelnut, roasted and toasted malt.

T: Warm nuttiness, a good blast of hop bitterness transitioning into a mild honey-like sweetness. It's earthy and warm, nicely balanced.

M: Medium bodied, but with a loose, spritzy carbonation.

D: A very nice offering from Rogue. Not really suitable for the humid and sweltering day that I drank it on, but it would be a great fall beer.

gameface23, Jun 26, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours a very rich dark red color. Head is 2 fingers thick and dissipates quickly leaving moderate lacing. Doesn't seem to be very carbonated.

S - The smell is full of hazelnuts with a nutty molasses smell in the background.

T - Immediately when it hits the tongue, a strong sweet hazelnut flavor dominates. It's followed but a nutty malt aftertaste. The hazelnut flavor lingers forever.

M - Low carbonation and medium body, coupled with the sweetness of the hazelnut make this a relatively sticky mouthfeel, but nothing over the top for a brown.

D - Very smooth beer, because of the low carbonation is is easily drinkable, the only problem is how sweet it is making it slightly less drinkable, but that isn't too much of a detriment. Could still easily have a few bottles in a sitting.

GarrettMD, Jun 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A - A hazy medium brown with a ruby tint when held to the light. Has a strong fluffy head that has a light tan/off white head.

S - Sweet and nutty. Prominent hazelnut smell with a faint hoppiness.

T - Smooth and creamy with malt upfront followed by a strong hazelnut flavor and mild in hops. Light to medium body. A fairly sweet beer with versatility that could be enjoyed either with a hearty meal or as a dessert beer. Contains a bit of sourness that I didn't appreciate too much.

M - A little on the thin side. Smooth and well carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable. I could enjoy a few bottles. Very nice take on the nut brown ale with the inclusion of hazelnut extract.

TStron, Jun 24, 2010

This is one awesome beer. Very drinkable. Similar to Newcastle Brown and Robert the Bruce. I love this beer. Very good Hazel Nut taste and very smoooth! One of my favorites. Don't let the funky label keep you from buying this beer, it is awesome. Label does say it won an award for best Brown Ale World Champion, and I believe it. A+ rating.

Hoppensniffer, Jun 22, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

I had just heard about this on a podcast and I was curious. The hazelnut is really present but definitely not overwhelming. Perfect in the aroma and in the flavor. Not too sweet or nutty and not too subtle.

Medium brown color. Good carbonation. Biscuitty flavor. Nice hop and yeast flavor.

I'll have it again.

david18, Jun 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

I enjoyed drinking this beer. It's a dark redish color with tan lace. Very creamy. While drinking I notice a nutty, particular hazelnut taste with a very malty smell. Not too much carbonation. Very sweet, perfect compliment for a dessert. Would definitely drink it again...and again!

joesc230, Jun 21, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Pour: Nice medium brown color with two fingers of off-white head that dissipated somewhat quickly into a small ring and left some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet/malty with hazelnut undertones, and a little bit of earthy hops.

Taste: Pretty light. Some malts up front, and the middle and back of the palate are dominated by the hazelnut flavor, sort of like coffee with a bunch of hazelnut coffee creamer. Finishes up with not much hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thinner than I was expecting given the ABV, though there is a certain creaminess to it.

Drinkability: Goes down pretty smooth and is refreshing.

Final Notes: This beer just isn't really doing it for me, for some reason. I probably won't be buying it again, but it's not a bad beer either. If you're into hazelnut flavored stuff, you'll probably like this beer.

bagpiper2005, Jun 14, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Stole this from the lady friend. Got tired of waiting for her to drink it.

Appearance- A nice chestnut color. Off-white half inch of head. Lingers impressively. Very nice lacing.

Smell- Some nice hazelnut. A little milk chocolate with just a hint of roast. Nice and malty. A little sweet smelling.

Taste- Follows the nose nicely. The nice roast notes from the malt are balanced by the sweet. Nutty. The hazelnut is nice but not overpowering. Just a touch too sweet,

Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability- Too sweet. It goes down easy, and is pleasant, so no big complaints.

If not my favorite style, a very nice example. I like what the hazelnut brings to the table.

callmescraps, Jun 13, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer looks a little darker than your average brown ale mildly foggy. the head is an off white and has a decent retention
has a dark nutty smell with the hazelnut being prominent with a mild caramel scent
the taste is more complex than just hazelnut there is a blast of flavors the instant it hits my tongue and the hazelnut is brought out when it gets towards the back of my throat. it has a perfectly mild bitter finish
a medium to heavy mouthfeel which is what i prefer. this is probably one of my top beers and i could drink this stuff all night every night great job rogue brewery

roar1345, Jun 13, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

wow this beer is really good
the version i tried has Morimoto on the front label

the beer pours with a nice thick head that is very foamy

the smell of this beer is like a hazelnut chocolate
and because of this smell you really expect the beer to have a really sweet taste but it doesnt however it does have a slight sweet taste

bierguru, Jun 11, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Looks brown and lazy.

Smell - Sweet, malty, and other brown ale smells.

Taste - Its nice. The hazelnut flavor is well mixed with other typical malty brown ale flavors. There is a very slight hop presence at the end. I didn't really get the overwhelming hazelnut other reviews talk about.

Mouthfeel - A bit fizzy on the tongue. Overall ok.

Drinkability - Very drinkable.

NA1NSXR, Jun 09, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber. on the underside of the bottle, printed in hard-to-see black ink: 011 D-1 1306 ? (hard to say for sure)

tasted in early june 2009

dark brownish amber. clear gemstone quality. 2-finger light tan head, fades to thin but constant layer. great lacing, especially further down the glass.

aroma: malty and... NUTTY! quite a blast of hazelnut. hints of roast, almost chocolate, but mostly that lovely blend of caramelized maltiness and hazelnut fragrance. touch of fruity apple esters, whiff of english hop. trace of phenols in back.

taste; woohoo! malty caramel and lots of hazelnut! like the syrup you add to your coffee. a creamy, nutty character. lovely. just touches of esters and phenols, with mild to moderate english hop bitterness to balance. elegant.

medium body but very smooth, w/ just a touch of astringency in finish. mild to moderate carbonation gives tingle, lift and creaminess.

tai4ji2x, Jun 02, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

To tell you the truth, I was a little skeptical about this beer. Firstly, I am not a huge fan of hazelnut, and secondly, I thought the beer was going to be to sweet. Since a friend of mine offered it to me, how could I refuse free beer:) Pouring it into a tulip glass, a reddish brown color appearance to fill the glass. Putting the glass to my nose, the aroma was very nutty. I took my first sip and before I knew it, it was also my last sip, because I drank it all in one swig:) It was that good! I was pleasantly surprised because of my previous misconceptions about this brew! This beer will be a mainstay in my frig for a while!

Kala1073, May 29, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Almost more of a deep ruby red than brown. Head reduced pretty quickly, but is lingering on the edges, with a nice skim.

Definitely smells of the hazelnut. Almost overwhelmingly so. Faint chocolate notes, roasty, almost burnt. I'm not really excited about drinking it at this point.

Hmmm. It is tasty, but almost tastes like frangelico light. If you like hazelnut, you'll love it.

Feels a bit syrupy, taste definitely stays with you.

Fo me, this would work as a dessert beer or night cap, but otherwise the flavor is a bit too much.

andyfrancis, May 25, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Dark brown pour with a foamy, 2-finger, off-white head. Lots of toast and nuttiness in the aroma. There is definitely a distinct note of hazelnuts and some floral clover and honey sweetness along with a bit of caramel and hay. The hops add just a touch of spice and pepper to the nose. The flavor again has lots of hazelnut character with hints of toast, cocoa, straw, clover honey, wild flowers, and caramel. The body is a bit thinnish with a little too much carbonation but drinks very nicely.

punkrkr27, May 18, 2010