Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Out of the bottle, this is a fuller-bodied, darker, more fulfilling beast. The times I've had it on tap, and now, growler, it was still quite alright, just noticeably lighter-bodied and fizzier. Is this the fault of those who set up the CO2? I've had similar experiences with other Rogue ales on tap. I should put an end to this nonsense the only way I know how: blind rage and merciless violence. OR! I'll just get what I can out of it and move on. Kinda like broads.

I do love the head from a growler pour and this may be the first to fail to wow me. The very last couple of pours gave me sweet head, but it sadly didn't last long or leave much of a cap. The liquid itself had a, what I like to call, suede appearance to it brownness. Rusty brown. Unfiltered lovely haze.

The main draw for this beer is its busting nut character. Hazelnut decadence. That didn't fail to disappoint here, both in fragrance and flavor. But that was about it, even after a good 45 minutes with the growler sitting out. The malts were at a significantly, albeit likely only marginally, reduced level compared to the bottle. Reduced enough that, while there was decent balance between the nut and malt, some of the body, depth, and chocolate tones were markedly toned down. No significant bitter to note - balanced nicely. Good flavor by the last of it, but yes lighter overall.

This really ended up drinking more like an English Brown - medium-light body and clean. Still, certainly not as weak as say a Newcastle. Take away the nut and you have something like a slightly chewier Sam Smith Nut Brown. Nut bad (okay, I meant to write "not", but I'll leave it, a-ha!), definitely sessionable.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Received a pint of nearly dead still brew. Murky brown, no clarity, no head.

Caramel and nuts dominate in the aroma.

Sweetness of the malt, combined with caramel, some brown bread, light bitterness, and a strong finish of hazelnut. Nothing cloying, very tasty. Finish isn't long, which i good, and palate clears to the nutty side.

Mushy brew. Soft. Needs more carbonation.

Easy to go down, tasty, and a good one to start the night with. Not sure about food pairings, but this was a good first pint.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Dark brown, creamy foam with a good nutty aroma.
Smells like hazel nut coffee.

Makes me crave coffee, even though I rarely drink coffee.
That says a lot coming from a non coffee drinker. Beer is taking me to the dark side.

My new mouth rinse.
The sweetness of it covers the alcohol level. You would not think it is 6.2
Recommended to all coffee lovers, it is very easy to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A-pours clear dark brown with little head

S- nutty and sweet, hazelnuts light coffee and even coconut?

T- sweet and hafruits, light fruits and some cocoa in there. Lots of flavors but nicely balanced.

M-tiny tiny carbonation that sits well on the tongue. Smooth and feels good

D- awesome. A little sweet for my palate but definately drinkable. Tasty well balanced and nothing too bold.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Very deep brown in color with dark red hues. Phenomenal rocky brown head. Excellent retention. Sticks around for a long time. Good amount of lacing as well. Not too much but a noticeable amount. Very aromatic nose. Extremely nutty and toasty. Sweet caramel and natural grains notes make an appearance. Brown sugar also comes to mind. Taste is caramel coffee like with some nutty undertones. There is a slight bitterness in the middle but sweetens up a bit with and almond like alcohol taste in the finish. Very good. Mouth feel medium bodied with a smooth velvet finish. Hell. This is one awesome brown ale. Drinkability is 10 out of 10. Very aromatic and tasty.

This beer pours a clear, but not hazy deep amber/ruby color with a small amount of off-white head that leaves some lacing on the glass but dissipates pretty quickly.

I can pick up on a nutty but sweet smell with some hints of caramel in the mix. The smell is not intense, but its very balanced and pleasant.

This beer opens up with a maltyness which turns into a sweet, then nutty flavor. Its more of a sweet caramel-ish flavor than nutty. It has a certain crispness to it from the dry finish. Its an interesting flavor, not as nutty as I was expecting but still very good. The carbonation is pretty sharp, but this beer is still very drinkable and easy to put down.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany brown with amber edges around the top and bottom edges. Many lines of bubbles rise up from the bottom, pooling into the thin light tan cap that is left by the half-inch head. Gobs of sticky lacing coat the inside of the glass from the remnants of the head. Nose is full of very sweet smelling barley malts, along with a subtle, almost ephemeral undertone of hazelnut. Caramel is also evident with nuances of wheat and mocha. Not too much hoppiness.

It's light and malty through and through, from start to finish. There's a slight breadiness that comes through as the beer washes over your palate, followed by a light smattering of nuttiness and caramel. Hops make a very brief appearance on the back end as a fleeting bitterness as the brew leaves your tongue. Just a very mild tasting experience, on the whole. It was almost lager-like in nearly every aspect, especially the finish.. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, which is pretty disappointing. A little too much carbonation leaves the mouth somewhat dry.

Sweet beers are right up my alley, so I was looking forward to indulging in this beer. Unfortunately, it was quite a disappointment in almost every single way. The taste is far too mild to be truly enjoyable and it's just way too thin. Makes for easy enough drinking, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this brew any time soon.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

One of my favorite beers ever. Dark brown color with a small 1/4" white head that laces the glass. The smell is sweet and nutty and mimics the actual taste of the beer. Tastes of light coffee up front, but sweet caramel and almond on the back end. It is tough to stop at just one of these, and got my normally non adventurous travelmates addicted as well (sampled at the Portland airport)

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber, shared with BAs brun, glard and NYManc.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Barely translucent brown color with lots of visual carbonation. Thin wispy tan head with quick dissipation but leaving of some nice soapy and sudsy lacing. Smell is the amazing feat of the beer: a sugary caramel-like coating of the toasted hazelnuts with a hint of chocolate sweetness. Very subtle amount of malt too.

Taste is particularly light overall. Thin malt backbone to start with small embellishments of a hazelnut characteristic. Small amount of sweetness and a distinct metallic flavor at the finish. Not much to speak off in terms of the flavors. Could have been a bit more consistent with the aromas, but that's wishful thinking.

Mouthfeel lacks in depth as it's noticeably light as well. Thin feel with a small carbonated presence, though it's very easily drinkable overall. Just wished it was a bit more substantially bigger in flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a becker glass.

Pours a cloudy, dark caramel brown color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Head settles to a nice wispy lacy island. Nice lacing the whole session. Good looking brew.

Brew smells nutty; hazelnut, caramel, barley malts, chocolate. Some hops are also detected. Very good smelling brew.

Brew is medium and gets smooth in the middle. Creamy, malty and nutty. Can detect the hazelnut for sure, chocolate and barley in there as well. Brew finishes slightly dry, way smooth. Really drinkable brew here. Wow very, very good stuff here.

This is a damn fine brew. A fantastic brown ale. This is some serious sessionable stuff here. My wife stole half my brew. Brew is great in every aspect. Another top shelf brew from Rogue.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

I usually review on the spot and I did but my review was deleted. I'm going to go by memory this time around.

Look: Ruby Raspberry and a khaki head.

Smell: Hazelnut upfront and some oats.

Taste: Totally blew me away! Sweet hazelnut, honey, toffee and I'm thinking some oatmeal. They mentioned chocolate in the ingredients but more of a milk chocolate stout flavor. I did not expect this delicious taste from what I smelled. Hands down one of the best by Rogue and best tasting beer I've had in a while.

Mouth Feel: Medium in body. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Felt great in the mouth and going down. Left the mouth feeling a little dry at the end.

Drink Ability: I could drink this all night. Not filling. Delicious tasting. No booze taste at all. I wish I bought another one so I could drink some more now.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

As soon as I opened the bottle I can smell the sweet Hazelnut. It also has some cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar notes. The smell is definitely strong, if you've got a sweet tooth this is your beer.

It pours pretty good. The head is about 1 1/2 inch. The head goes down rather fast after pours, lacing is weak. Its a very slightly foggy copper color. After setting it down for 2 minutes to cool down the head and lacing were almost completely gone.

The taste is quite the same as it's smell, if not slightly more tamed. Very sweet beer, again, if you have a sweet tooth this is your beer. The hazelnut and brown sugar hit your mouth instanly, hops are present, but very minimally. The mouthfeel is light, I can see myself drinking more than one bottle easily. Reminds me of a pumpkin ale without the pumpkin. If you want a strong beer you might want to skip this one, I however quite liked it.

In conclusion, this was a pretty good beer. I definitely see myself trying this again on a day where I crave sweets. I would not recommend this for anyone who enjoys fuller bodied beers, or hoppy beers for that matter.

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

-2010 bottle tasted on Jan 1st 2011- (rating based on later review)
A - Deep cherry amber. Light head with low retention.

S - Sweet brown sugar, and Nutella.

T - Nutella mirrored from the nose. Lighter breads. Touch of caramel and fresh apricots.

M - Light body with a smooth sweet finish. Nice carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Great flavor and a smooth character.

-2011 bottle labled as Morimoto Hazelnut tasted May 2011- (rating based on this review)
A – Ruby maple. Lightly off-white head sits low with poor lace.

S – Great toasted pecan and hazelnut nose.

T – Huge roasted hazelnut flavor dominates the profile. Soft malt mid. Sweet pecan finish. Fantastic.

M – Light body but not watery. Lightly sweet finish with a lingering toasted hazelnut flavor.

O – The hazelnut in this beer is incredible. The toasted character is warm and soothing, with soft edges that are noticeably absent of burnt notes.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

A- Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white head. Head quickly turns into a layer of bubbles, has good retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Smells very sweet. Bready, caramel and toffee malts with a very strong hazelnut smell.

T- Taste is very sweet, toasted nutty and bread malts. Hazelnut taste comes through here. Overall, just too sweet for my liking.

M- Medium in body and a bit on the lower side of carbonation.

D- Just too sweet for me. I don't think I'll have this one again.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into a tall mug from a 22oz bomber with no freshness date provided.

Appearance- 3.5 out of 5. Two fingers of extremely creamy tan lace top a dark ruddy-brown beer. It's enthralling to watch the remarkably active carbonation tear through the brew. There is no hint of any discoloration from the extract. It is clear in the light but otherwise opaque, making it more umbral than a normal brown ale.

Smell- 4.5 out of 5. There's nothing standard about the nose. Rogue was clever to take a typical Brown Ale note and amplify it with actual extract; this stuff smells like hazelnut mocha mixed with beer. It's unusual but interesting. Hints of caramel and bread crust linger beneath the nuttiness. Regardless of how it tastes, I'd be tempted to leave a few glasses of this lying around the house just to make the place smell nice.

Taste- 3 out of 5. Toasty, roasty malt backs up a huge wave of hazelnut. It's intense but still a hair away from being overpowering. Caramel, cherries, and plums mingle in the mouth along with a strange smokey-sweet combination. Whatever hops Rogue used are utterly lost in the hazelnut wave, as is any taste of alcohol. A smokey, nutty aftertaste sticks around for a while. The taste is pleasant, but I'm not inclined to drink great quantities. This seems like more of a dessert beer.

Mouthfeel- 3 out of 5. Creamy but still manages to stay moderate in body. Because of the strong hazelnut flavor, it's easier to sip than quaff. A bit of stickiness lasts on the lips.

Drinkability- 3 out of 5. With some smoked barbeque or some German chocolate cake, this would be awesome. In the absence of complimentary cuisine, however, it's a bit too strong to drink more than one 22oz bottle-- even I had a hard time finishing it. It was a good experience and not a bad drink by any means, but barring a drastic influx of pork and cake into my diet, I won't be picking up another. It would be great to split with a friend or two after dinner.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

A: creamy, dark brown, hint of burnt sienna color, great lacing.

S: nutty, toffee, hint of roast notes.

T: hint of sweet in the front, mild nutty/toffee character.

M: smooth, creamy, good carbonation.

D: Amazing brown ale! This is my one of my favorite brown ales and I could definitely have more than a few of these delightful brews.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with hints of red. Leaves some nice lacing

S: Malty with a nutty character, definitely some hazelnut

T: Matches the smell, with a nice sweetness that isn't overbearing

M: Creamy with a good amount of carbonation

D: Great drinkability, I'd definitely have a bomber along with desert any day

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A. Poured a dark clear copper with a short off white diminishing head good lacing on the glass.

S. Hazelnut, malt, leaves, maple

T. The hazlenut is the star of the flavor, nutty, and earthy, maple and sweet but then the bitterness hits, and lasts. Really a great balanced brew.

M. Medium bodied lots of carbonation sweet and sticky on the tongue, great duration.

D. A really good brew I expected the sweetness however I wasn't ready for the bitter finish. Great balance and a good brew.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

1000+ reviews?! Crap. You guys are gaga over this stuff. I must be missing something.

Anyways, I received my 22 oz. bottle as a gift. I usually don't buy Rogue's beers cuz I honestly think they are overpriced. Yup, I said it!

The Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale (a name I don't really understand--nectar? really?) looks like the way a brown ale should: light brownish red/copper. It has a light, thin, clear body. There was a quickly receding light khaki head with nice lacing. This is an appetizing and attractive looking beer.

The smell is mocha, lager, sweet and nutty. It smells like a good cigar--which is the hazelnut, I guess. Coffee and mocha are the most dominant aromas. The smell is better and more interesting than the taste.

The first taste was nutty and sweet. The hazelnut is very apparent and there is definitely a cigar-like quality, which seems out of place for this style. As I continued drinking, the flavors progressed to a standard, nutty lager-crispness of a brown ale. This beer has a very light caramel and fruit quality to it which was interesting. Midway through, there was a firm chocolatey and smokey quality that rose up and never went away.

CONCLUSION: Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar is very light and drinkable and an interesting representation of a brown ale with a twist. However, I think it's maybe a bit too stout-like for a brown. Regardless, it still tastes pretty good to me even though I'm not a big fan of this style.

This would probably be a must-try if you're crazy for brown ales. Otherwise, you're not missing much if you pass.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer pours an aber color with an off white head, like a light tan color. The aroma of this beer smells of rich in malt, there is also a hint of nutty aroma. The taste is strong with nutty sweetness to it. Classic brown ale taste to it. There is a hazlenut sweetness to it, although you can tell its extract. The mouthfeel is medium, and is a drinkable beer.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A - cloudy amber brown with a short tan head leaving a thin lace ring
S - hazelnut, light syrupy, cherry, and bready malt
T - super sweet with hazelnut, sweet molasses, caramel & bready malts
M - silky smooth syrupy texture that coats the mouth
D - very sweet and different, reminded me of a port in terms of its syrupy sweetness and feel, a delicious desert that is very drinkable
As a side note, i tried mixing this with the chocolate stout on the advice of a local Rogue rep and it was awesome!

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Has a amber-brown appearance with a decent tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnut and it carries through into the taste. Smooth and malty with little bitterness. It was easy going down and not overly carbonated. Altough not one of my favorites, I definitely enjoyed it and would order again.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Nice reddish brown color with a tan head.

Woody, sweet aroma.

Taste is good. Malty with some hazelnut. Very mild bitterness. I also detect a little something spicy, not sure what that's from.

Has a good level of carbonation, but overall seems a little thin to me. Could use a little more residual sugar I think.

Not sure I would have again on it's own, but perhaps paired with the appropriate cheese or something it would be worth revisiting.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales