Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

as my profile shows - i am a wit/wheat kinda chic
i enjoyed drinking this on tap at the great Barcade in Brooklyn

new years eve - the great divide st. bridget let me the way to try some stouts & browns...

The hazelnut comes with a dark brown color w/ a smallish head

i thought this was going to be a very sweet beer - but wasnt too sweet.
will definitely have this one again

phunkykim, Jan 27, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Picked up this bomber @ Albertsons of all places. Poured into a snifter a dark brown color, light tan colored head, light lacing. Some aroma hops are easily detectable, as is the expected hazelnut smell. Taste is, as you would expect, very nutty, much like a latte with hazelnut syrup added. Some choclate & coffee notes accentuate each other nicely. Smooth mouthfeel, a bit dry on the finish. Very well rounded and solid ale with a unique flavor.

BigJTrucker, Jan 25, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Without a doubt, one of the better brews that I've sampled from Rogue... Their Hazlenut Nectar is everything an American Brown Ale should be and more... Great dark, ruby-red, brown appearance with minimal frothy head... Smell was what was expected, full of nutty, bready, aromas, with dark nuances... Terffific toffee flavor, with a distinct hazlenut, dark-coffee, dried-fruit, fig, nutty flavor that really hit home and was very powerful and pleasing without being overbearing or cloying... just about perfect taste with an exceptionally smooth, velvet mouthfeel, very creamy, nutty, and rich, near-perfect drinkability, went down like sugar-water, no bitterness or alcohol essence detected, just a wonderful nutty flavor... another winner from Rogue, certainly one of their better brews... Definitely recommended, one of the best depictions of the style...

dsa7783, Jan 22, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Lovely appearance, delicious malty nose, a nice leveled sweet brown without being obnoxiously sweet. Hops are held back from taking over on this beer. I like how the Hazelnut is not overbearing. I dig. Not carbinated as much as one would think it should be, but I kind of like it that way.

BeaBeerWife, Jan 20, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a rich, dark brown color with a nice white, fluffy head. It has strong aromas of hazelnuts (obviously), roasted malts and bread. The taste is also strongly of hazelnut...this creates a great twist on a brown ale. Overall, awesome beer, well done.

Douglas14, Jan 14, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

22oz bomber, served in a pint glass.

A - hazy, deep brown color with a small tan head that faded to a ring, leaving a few spots of lacing on the glass.

S - hazelnut and sweet malt aromas, very similar to a good English Brown Ale.

T - sweet nutty/malty flavor, some slight bitterness on the finish leaves the drinker wanting another mouthfull.

M - medium/full bodied ale with light carbonation.

D - a tasty sample of a brown beer, good drinkability.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 13, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

This nectar pours a slightly hazy Red brown. Little head fades fast. Nose almost doesnt exist but some malt. Taste is malty, brown clear nutty tones, but seem kind of false or phony. Would like to see more malt flavors in this. slight hop bite (very slight) The mouthfeel is a wee bit thin. Drinkability is pretty good, a great session ale.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 13, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

I poured this beer from bottle to my tumbler at 50 degrees.
The beer was a reddish broen color with a nice tan big head. Head did not last very long but lacing was good. The smell was a little nutty and the taste was very slighly nutty toasted just about right. I had great wxpectations of thisbrew as it is suppose to be the same recipe of the first winner of the Long Shot beer competition back in 1993. I drank that beer then and have looked for it ever since. I id not think this beer was as good but then too I'm relying on a memory from long ago. It seemed there was more of a Hazel Nut taste back the, but who knows. This beer is very good and I was happy to find it and will continue to buy it.

Minkybut, Jan 11, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Deep amber color with a decent off white head that doesn't really leave any lacing. Smells of sweet malts. A little nuttiness. Not all that fragrant. For the taste, sweet chocolaty maltiness, hazelnut and a little hop bitterness on the finish that lingers. Not bad at all. Very drinkable.

NCBeernut, Jan 07, 2008

This Rogue is dark brown with hints of red and a prominent head. The aroma is not surprisingly of nuts (hazelnuts?) and chocolate malt. I'm a little disappointed in the taste - it seems a little thin, as if it is too reliant on the added hazelnut flavor. It's good, don't get me wrong, but lacks the dimension of Samuel Smith's Brown Ale or other Rogue brews.

buzzworthy, Jan 07, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Reddish brown, cloudy, with a two-finger tan head.
S: Caramel malt and nuts is the main character in the aroma.
T: Damn this beer is smooth. Perhaps one of the most prevalent caramel flavors I've ever had. Sweet and nutty. Also some burnt flavor in the finish that maybe doesn't fit in.
M: Palate is just about right: smooth and dry with a bit of alcohol warming at the end.
D: Speaking as a fan of Brown Ales, this beer is fantastic. After just one bottle, it might have just jumped to the top of my list.

PaleAlien2, Jan 06, 2008
Photo of
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap in a pint glass at Rogue Brewery in Portland, Oregon.

A - Tan brown with slightly red tint, one and a half fingers of light head that dissipates slowly.

S - Sweet malt, light hop, hazelnut.

T - Toasty malt taste at first a sweet caramel second and a great roasted hazelnut finish last.

M - light to medium bodied, smooth coat and tastes thicker than imagined.

D - Very drinkable on tap, have had mixed quality in 22oz. bottles but all in all is one hell of a brown ale.

, Jan 02, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Yet again, Rogue delivers. The hazelnut comes with a dark brown/red color with a one finger head. Nose is light hazelnuts. The taste at first is lighter on the nut, but I found as time went on that the flavor was more pronounced as it stayed with you. This won’t be my all-time favorite by Rogue, but it still is very, very good.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 650ml bottle with no dating info into a pint glass. It was a deep reddish brown color. It had a small head that quickly dissipated. I've had this several times before and usually has a more robust head so this one may be off slightly. The aroma was awesome - malty with a great hazelnut front. Gets your mouth watering right away. The taste is perfect. The hazelnut adds the right amount of flavor and sweetness without being cloying. I imagine without the hazelnut this would still be an awesome beer. The mouthfeel was nice and solid. Overall this is one of my favorite beers and I end up being it quite often. Highly recommend. (Heavy rotation)

TexIndy, Dec 21, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle

A: Mostly clear rusty brown under a nice sized off white head. OK retetion no lacing.

S: Good nutty character, kind of woody, sweet and slightly chocolately with a splash of cream, some hints of roasted malt. Really nice.

T: Hazelnut punches you in the mouth on this one and it is nice. Finshes with a maltiness that is more toasted than anything and is mostly dry. Really a nice taste, a lot like a hazelnut coffee but without the coffee character.

M/D: Carbonation is a little high on this but the beer seems to benefit from this. Medium body is more toward the light end, but it holds up well. Drinkability is really good on this one as well. A solid beer all the way around.

NCSUdo, Dec 21, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

22oz bottle poured into my Surly tulip glass

A: Deep reddish brown with a decent head that quickly dissipates, not much lacing

S: Sweet, sweet hazelnuts mixed with brown sugar and some caramel, from the smell of it, I'd expect it to taste too sweet

T: but it doesn't, there's a lot of hazelnut, yes, but it's more balanced with the malt, and generally combines to be quite pleasant

M: medium bodied, but with a thicker end, very smooth

D: This is my favorite nut brown ale, and a terrific "regular" beer to have around. I could be stuck on a desert island with only this and be content

pheggeseth, Dec 18, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into pub glass.
Pours a dark brown with a red tint. Translucent. A big, creamy head forms but dissipates quickly.
Huge caramel aroma with a faint underlying smell of the perles.
This tastes unbelievable. Wicked malty. An amazing balancing act between bitter malty and sweet malty. This is like drinking a big piece of some sort of autumn dessert cake, all the while never letting you forget that your drinking beer. Very little hop aroma or flavor but just the right amount of citric bittering hop.
Mouthfeel rocks, real creamy for a brown.
Here is my gripe about this beer.; It's drinkable for the first 12 oz.'s but it loses carbonation fast after that. ( and I'm not a slow drinker)
I feel like the carbonation is necessary to balance all the strong flavors in this ale (as noted at the top) and they become muddled and overpowering.
Also the brew seemed to turn a bit murky coinciding with the loss of carb. Now thats not something I mind at all but I couldn't help thinking that it looked like it tasted toward the end; garbled and sludgy.
I will absolutely buy this many more times but I'll either look for smaller bottles or share it with someone.
O.K. or I'll just slam the thing.

cookin420, Dec 12, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

God this guy is delicous. I used to drink the hell out of some newcastle but once i discovered this kid i haven't had one since. Definitely my favorite brown ale i have ever had. It goes down smooth and fast. The only real problem is that they only sell 22-ounce bottles and not six-packs. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Steaks, Dec 11, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +13%

It's hard not to be impressed with the Hazelnut Brown nectar from start to finish. The pour was well proportioned, with a finger and a half capping a dark nut-brown torso. Hazelnut accosts the nose through and through, but there is a nice hint of chocolate and caramel as well, quite good. The taste, not surprisingly, brings the smell forward, but with a prominent roasted background that is most delicious. I greatly enjoy the smooth texture and moderate carbonation, and wish I had a second to chase this big boy.

Really wonderful concoction from Rogue, not to be missed.

Gehrig, Dec 09, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

650ml bottle @ $4.99. Been in the fridge for nearly 2 months, finally decided to break it out.

Nice frothy head with good retention, hazy, red(ish) brown.... good looking.

The smell of my mom's (God rest her soul) spice cabinet, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, ginger, all that blended together.

Wow...taste is almost like a straight shot of vanilla or almond extract..not too sure about this one. On the one hand I like it but on the other hand it's like something artificial going on and too much of it. Aftertaste, although not unpleasant, is not exactly pleasant.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

An intresting brew albeit one that sends me mixed messages, something seems unbalanced....However, the more I drink the better it gets...@ 6.2%ABV and 650ml, that would be expected.. 2 or 3 of these suckers and it could be the finest brew in the world. At least it isn't sicky sweet.

scottblaze, Dec 04, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Man, I wanted this beer to be better than what it was. After reading all of the reviews of this one, I was stoked to try this one myself so I went down to the local bottle store and grabbed one.

It poured just like everyone else said, nice brown color with a small tan head.

This beer smells wonderful. Very rich and nutty. You can definitely smell the hazelnut in this.

Goes downhill quickly here. I wonder if I got a bad bottle or something. This tastes exactly like a Bud Light or Coors Light or something. Is this flat? It has a nice head and smells great, but it tastes horrible. Very watery and flat, no nutty nuances or anything. Big time disappointed in this one. I will probably try this again in the future to give it a fair shake but at $5.99 for a 650 ml bottle, I expect some quality out of it.

I chose this over the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout next to it which I know is a solid choice so I'm bummed about that too.

Dang, I was hoping for more out of this.

Tilley4, Nov 28, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I was served from a 22 ounce capped bottle into a pint glass.

A: A moderately aggressive pour produced a clear mahogany body with a tan two finger head composed of medium dense and sticky bubbles. The head was slow to fall and left a lingering cover that supported a dense curtain of lace.

S: It had distinct aromas of brown sugar, caramel and yeasty dark bread.

T: It began with the flavor of sweet medium roasted malts that generated the taste of dark brown sugar, dark fruits (plums and figs), and caramel. There was a very recessed clean and unimposing hop bite that produced light white spices (e.g., pepper). I missed the hazelnut flavor but believe the brewer reached for it but just missed the mark.

M: It was light to medium bodied with a creamy presence and balanced carbonation. There was a subtle sweet aftertaste.

D: The low ABV did not appeal to me. A bit higher ABV could have left the palate cleaner after each swig and given this beer a bit more of a warm presence. As such it is a very fine brown ale. I will definitely be back to have more...and more...and more.

dnichols, Nov 18, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

22oz bomber w/ no freshness dating.

A: Deep reddish brown body. Poured up a good head, but faded down to nothing. Minimal lace.

S: Nuts! Roasted, chopped, powdery hazelnuts! Faint citrus hops.

T: Again, nutty. Almost reminds me of almond tea...although this would, of course, be hazelnut tea. Duh! A clean malty sweetness after the nuttiness starts to fade. Can't perceive much hop presence.

M/D: Clean on the palate, despite the malt sweetness. Light and refreshing...I could see enjoying this just as well in cold weather, as hot.

k3n, Nov 18, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

I very clear, red with a nice head that dissapears quickly. Smell is very sweet and sugary. Taste is kind of nutty, but definately vanilla. Mouthfeel is a little on the light side. Needs to be thicker to be a better "brown". I wouldn't call it a clean finish, but not that long lasting aftertaste either. I would buy and drink it again.

2wheeledpirate, Nov 11, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at the Taphouse in Hampton, served in a pint glass.

A - Dark yet still transparent amber hue, produced absolutely no head, and offered little to no lacing. Not too appealing overall. I was actually almost dreading taking a sip. Luckily I did, however.

S - Extremely sweet, notes of brown sugar and molasses, with the slightest hint of spice near the end, smells much better than it looks.

T - I truly believe this tastes exactly like french toast. I can detect perhaps nutmeg, cinammon, and even a bit of maple. Very sweet, but some of the spices become more defined as it warms.

M - Medium bodied, low carbonation, toasty aftertaste which lingers around a bit, and a mild finish. Not bad!

D - I think I could do a few, but the sweetness definitely causes a hit here. After a while it becomes a bit taxing. Overall a pretty decent brew, it was worth a try.

PhageLab, Nov 09, 2007