Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber bottle.

Poured dark brown color with medium light brown head that diminished slowly with good lacing. Full hazelnutand roasted malt aroma. Medium to full body with smooth texture and soft carbonation. Good flavor of hazelnut, malt and caramel with medium sweet finish.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Second time I've grabbed a bottle of this and I'm slightly biased towards the style.

Pours a caramel brown, brown and a deep copper in the light, opaque, a bit hazy. One finger head vanishes quickly with a little lacing. Some mild coffee and a bunch of hazelnuts in the nose. It's like a cup of coffee, and my hand can't figure out why the glass is cool.

A light, creamy sweetness--just short of too sweet--on the front end, and you can taste the hazelnuts and some notes of roasted flavors. Evokes toffee, you expect more coffee notes from the smell and it's there, but the taste is a surprise. Slightly syrupy, low carbonation. Some malty notes on the back end.

It packs a few surprises and has character. Wouldn't pair with foods so much as leave for drinking after I've eaten. Very refreshing. I've come back to this one, and will again.

3.38/5  rDev -17%

22 oz bomber into a pint

A - I guess it passes the eyeball test on what a brown ale should be - although the light does reflect some almost cherry colors to it as well. Formation of the head is quick and leaves just as quick. Seems to be off-white in color. Lots of carbonation going on inside.

S - Almost a sweet maple syrup smell to me (make note of a possible reduction in food). Some hints of nuts. No hops or yeast.

T - Starts off rather thin - neither malt or bitter aggressiveness. Mid-stream increases the bitterness ever so slightly. Maybe a hint of the spiciness of our old friend the pac-man yeast. Finishes with a nutty hit from the hazel nut. Aftertaste is generally not present.

M - A higher than average carbonated beer. Makes it a hair stringing on the tongue. The body of the beer itself seems too thin.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. I find the flavor profile to be somewhat repetitive and the carbonation heavy on the palette. ABV is manageable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Body is a deep, dark orange...almost brown. Limited head that disappeared quickly. Light lacing left behind.

S: Very malty with serious hints of hazelnut. Awesome nose on this brew. The smell actually makes me feel warm.

T: Malt, hazelnut, chocolate, and coffee. Finishes with a light, clean bite from the hops.

M: Light carbonation. Slightly syrupy. Slight bitterness lingers on the palate.

D: Overall, this is a fantastic beer! It is the complete sensory experience. This is definitely a libation I will keep on hand in the fridge. Highly recommended!

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

The name says it all. Nutty sweet brown...but with nice clean finish.

I got this on-tap last night (3/31/09) at Chicago's Handle Bar.

- appearance: pours medium brown. Opaque not chill-haze. One-finger of head that quickly disappears to a thin layer of bubbles. No lacing.
- taste: apples, cherries, slight citrus hops, clean lightly carmeled malt, highly attenuated so finishes amazingly dry (in a good way).
- aroma: not much. Some carmely malts but that's about it. As it warms some of the fresh-fruit notes come out in the nose....but just barely.
- mouthfeel: light despite the sweetness. Highly carbonated. Carbonation gives it a nice slightly "prickly" feel.

The taste, mouthefeel, and overall drinkability make this a must-try. Damn good stuff. I could rifle these back all night.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

(from notes)

Pours a dark caramel brown with nearly no head into my pint glass. It has a little ruby lining on the edges when held up to the light, and the little head that there was recedes quite quickly.

The smell is malty, a little bit of nuttiness which I can pin to be hazelnut, though quite subtle.

Tastes malty on the tongue with a bit of nuttiness towards the end. Kind of what you might describe as biscuity. There isn't really any carbonation to be had. I also taste a little cold black coffee and a hint of chocolate.

The mouthfeel is oily, but not too much so.

The drinkability of this is superb, and the flavor is very rounded. There is little aftertaste left in the mouth, yet an urge to drink more.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a dark brown color with chesnut-hued flarings around the edges of the glass. A rich, two-finger, off-white head quickly fades to a rimming of foam that imparts a sticky lacing to the interior of the flute.

S: Vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate cocoa powder.

T: True to its name, Hazelnut Brown Nectar opens with a big wave of hazelnuts, followed by more subtle suggestions of cinnamon, vanilla, and bitter cocoa powder. Semi-dry finish.

M: Thin bodied and heavily carbonated.

D: A thin-bodied sipper that offers more than adequate character without filling you up.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

purse a beautiful dark brown color with an equally good looking head. really looks good. smell is very unique, strong hazelnut dominates everything else, but has a small cocoa aroma to it. taste is really really good, i mean good. has an earthy taste to it, just rally damn good. easy to drink, im going to be buying more of these

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Had this on-tap last night at Spike's. Served into a pint glass.

Appearance: Body is a deep, dark mahogany color with not a whole lot of visibility. Head is thin and white (or maybe off-white - room was poorly lit) and drags light lace.

Smell: Toasted malt is quickly eclipsed by large hazelnut aroma. Piney hops add a pleasant sting in the finish.

Taste: Loads and loads of sweet hazelnut, followed by pine, spice, and citrus. Hops provide for a clean, mildly bitter, ending. Definitely good, but hazelnut needs to be toned down in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, chewy, and clean-finishing. Carbonation is right where it needs to be. Really great, except the body is a tad syrupy and heavy.

Drinkability: Too much sweetness for me to call this one drinkable. On top of that, body is beefier than I'd like. This is a great beer to try, but I wanted to be done with it after half a pint.

A nice dark brown color withy a big thick light tan head that lasts quite a while. Aroma is slightly sweet,nutty,malty,some maple or maybe brown sugar. Flavor is a nice nutty malt type roast,some toffee,chocolate,hints of grass and vanilla,sweet but not too much,you can even taste that "free range coastal water" just right,nicly balanced a very good brown,quite drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a crimson brown with a two finger head that's off-white. It's not cloudy, rather clear, in fact I can see right through it. I remember it being darker from the tap, but that could well just be bar lighting.

Smell: hazelnut--that distinct, huh?

Taste: hazelnut--go figure. This is dead on. A little smoky, but that's just initially. Sticks on the tongue momentarily to present carmel hints. No back of the throat aftertaste. Gone, just as quick as it was there. I should have something to feast on to accompany this.

Sits perfectly for a brown ale, carbonation is just right and it seems to gain some density on the tongue, which is nice. Frothy.

It's drinkable, I could enjoy a few of these. Not too light, not too heavy. Not porter smooth, but that's not what I'm looking for with a brown.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a nice woody brown color with a cream-colored head. Some lacing around the glass.

This smells really good. I can smell hazelnut up front with some chocolate and malts in there too. Smells delicious.

Wow. Hazelnut. It hits you right up front, then some sweet chocolate malts, a little bit of cream, then once again a hazelnut finish. No bitterness whatsoever.

This is a thick, creamy beer that lingers on your palate a little. Not much carbonation is present.

Overall, a pretty decent beer. I'm not a huge hazelnut fan, but if you like hazelnut then you'll love this brew. True to the namesake.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Brimming chestnut colour with a shot of clamato to muck things up. Despite its clarity being obliterated Hazelnut Brown Nectar manages to shine with lustrous highlights even when sitting stationary. Of all the many times I've had this beer I don't remember ever seeing a head on it. I suspect the oils in the nut extract are responsible for the diminished retention.

The aroma should be considered, by anyone who even remotely likes hazelnuts, to be quite good. Depending on how much you like them, it may be great. The smell is - as advertised - that of hazelnuts along with sweet, toasty caramel-laden malts. I'm not huge on hazelnuts but I'm having a heck of a time getting my nose out from this glass.

And I love the taste every bit as much. I understand the title is straightforward enough but for anyone still ensure as to what to expect: liquid Nutella, praline ice cream, chocolate-hazelnut truffles, hazelnut butter, and Frangelico. It may be via the use of an extract but Rogue has certainly captured the flavour of hazelnut.

I don't find it overly artificial tasting either. (OK, maybe just a little.) But I'm more than happy to overlook it because I've also been provided a nice maltiness to go along with it. A variety of malts were used to ensure all the flavour and texture needed. Indeed, this malt bill would have been 'nutty' enough without the extract.

Besides the obvious hazelnut (which I can almost sense crunching down on) the beer also draws to mind other wonderfully delicious treats - pecan pie, maple syrup, caramel custard, chocolate brownies and sugary sweet confections such as brittles. I wouldn't think you have to be a huge fan of nuts to agree this is one tasty, flavoursome beverage.

For some unexplainable reason this triggers in me thoughts of autumn. I'm not promising it will do the same for you but with every sniff and every sip comes to mind the harvest, colourful foliage, cooling winds, shortening days and all the comforts of going back inside again. Any beer capable of conjuring this kind of sentimentality certainly impresses me.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Cracked open this 22oz bomber to pair with my grilled pizza at lunch. It was a great match, though I don't know if this is a beer I would want without food.
A: Dark brown and ruby hues; small head dissipates but leaves beige froth and eventually a small ring of foam. Very little lacing on my pint.
S: Nutty, especially sweet hazelnut on the nose.
T: Sweet malts with a hazelnut finish and aftertaste; mostly balanced tastes of sweetness and a slight bitter that I couldn't quite place. The tastes are pretty inconsistent, but some might just call that character.
M: Lighter bodied with moderate carbonation.
D: This beer has pretty good drinkability if you don't mind the sweetness and, at times, the awkward bitter notes. Not my favorite brown, but I'd recommend it/have another!

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

If I didn't have any anticipation for this to be the best thing to ever grace my tastebuds, maybe I would be rating this higher. Unfortunately, I found myself sorely disappointed that this wasn't actually a Nutella-flavored beer at all, but rather middle-of-the-road brown ale with a hint of hazlenut flavor. Objectively (If it was still possible for me to think of it that way), it's still a quality brew that is worthy of trying. You just have to pretend that "hazlenut" and "nectar" aren't in the name of the beer.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Beautiful brown with a reddish highlight and topped with a nice, extra-creamy head.

S: The hazelnut and general nutty aromas are quite huge uupon pouring... the scent wafts quite some way from the glass, and makes for quite an inviting smell. A nice, sweet scent, with a little touch of fruitiness. Very good.

T: The flavour does not come across as sweet as the aroma, but it's very nice. A roasted malt, nuttiness, with just a touch of dark fruit offering a little bit of a tang and slight sweetness.

M + D + notes: A 'sizeable medium' body, moderately carbonated, just right for this brew. I tend to ignore Rogue with some idea in my head that I'm not a big fan of their brews, though I think their bottling is clever and I don't believe I can name a specific beer they have made that I reviewed poorly or can recall not enjoying. Strange idea, because this is quite nice and certainly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

This was a real treat. Finding a good Brown Ale is hard, and the good ones are far and few.

Poured a very nice dark ruby brown with a off white/ivory head with a ample amount of lacing and decent retention.

Nose was dominated by toasty malt tones and nuttiness. Seemed a to have some undertones of sugar as well.

Taste was a home run. Loved the Hazelnut flavor, it easily detectable, but not overpowering at all. Darker malts and toasty flavors pan out very well with a wonderful smooth finish.

Mouthfeel was top notch as well coating my mouth with a nice body and a lingering after taste of filberts.

Phenomenal drinkability. I wish they had a sixer's of this that I can get locally, it would be a regular in my beer fridge for sure.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a true medium brown. Not much head, a ring, thin lacing and some cascading bubbles around the rim.

S - Heavy malt, almost bready, kind of like a light Korbinian.

T - Malty as smell, finish with some nuttiness. Nice balance, not much in hops. Kept expecting a little fuller and thicker experience.

M - Fine carb, coating, etc, just thins a bit towards the end.

D - Easy to drink, not much to tire of.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours nice dark brown, with 3 finger head.

Taste is incredible, love the mild hazelnut flavor but really wish there was more of it. This brew keeps me wanting more, I will definitely be revisiting this one again in the near future...[fifteen characters short] :)

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a warm brown with light caramel head. Doesn't stick around long.

Smells lightly of hazelnut, maybe a touch of vanilla and caramel. From the reviews I was expecting a stronger nutty aroma.... which definitely came as the beer warmed. Wow, that is some hazelnut! Every sip you smell the nutty goodness assailing your nostrils... maybe a bit too much by the end?

A nice easy drinker, lots of nuttiness, some light caramel - almost no hops presence. Smooth drinker, actually a good beer to bridge with for non-BAers; something a little different, well made, and not too bold. A good solid, all around beer.

After pouring I noticed a nice white/brown head that settled to a thin lace around the drink.The scents coming from the beer were mostly the hazelnut and then some sweeter scents like caramel. The taste isn't what I expected I was looking for something more solid but found this to be a little average. It is a good beer but from the reviews its had I was expecting better. It isn't too strong so you could enjoy this one for awhile. Cheers!

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours from the bomber a mahogany red-brown, mostly opaque and with a creamy light tan head. A little bit of sticky lacing. One of the better-looking brown ales I've seen. Smell is dominated by a musty smell of hazelnut and toast, with slight notes of bitter chocolates.

Again, I swear this beer is like breakfast! It tastes like toast with a rich, sweet hazelnut butter spread on it. The hazelnut & toasty flavors are freaking delicious, but they dominate this beer through and through. It becomes a bit one dimensional after a while. There is some detectable hop in the finish and a "musty" character, but that's it. A tasty brew, but falls a bit short in keeping my interest. It's very nice, thick & creamy in the mouth and hardly carbonated, which does some nice things with the flavor but carbonation could be bumped up.

Something about this beer just doesn't feel "complete" to me. I normally love hazelnut, but I think that it might be taking a bit too much away from this as a beer. Tasty--just an odd feeling that what I'm drinking needs a little extra kick of some sort.

EDIT: I'm bumping up the "smell" score. After a while of having the bomber out, slowly making my way through it, the room smells absolutely wonderful! That's a plus, for sure.

Dark brown with a one finger light tan head. Minor lacings. Aroma is bready and hazelnut.
Taste is lightly sweet malts, nutty, light cocoa, some earthy hops. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is very good. Nice medium dry bittersweet finish. Very nice pour highly recommended beer.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The 800th review of this beer...I hope there is some sort of prize offered...maybe a bonus 20 beer karma points....lol

Local beer store has 8 Rogue Ales in as their Feb Beer Club selections. This is one of them.

Slightly hazy with a reddish-copper brown hue when held up to the light. Creamy tan colored head. Lot's of sticky webs of lacing.

Even with a slight head cold I can pick out the complex blend of toasted and roasted malts and of course a rich nuttiness. Very nice!

Smooth, almost creamy first impression. The hop tends to make a few brief appearances, but this ale is all about the malts. Slightly chocolate, slightly mocha, definitely nutty, all in a package that blends virtually seamlessly without being overly sweet.

Even @ 6.2% ABV I could drink more than one pint of this nectar any day I could lay my hands on it. A must try brew.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Poured into my Stone imperial pint. Shiny clear brown hue, thin but persistent head.

S - Funny, I smelled the hazelnut much more when it was cold than when it warmed further. You can't miss it, though....when a brewer claims to have brewed a "hazelnut brown," this is pretty much what I want to smell.

T - Nutty taste, as you would expect. Tastes like a good nut brown with some extra punch, courtesy of the hazelnut extract. Hops step aside, which is rare for a Rogue brew, only poking in during the finish to add a pleasant perfumey taste. I am very happy that this particular beer has not been overhopped, weighing in at a muted 33 IBUs. And the caramel malt bill...my god, look at all the different malts they used in this beer!

F - Mostly positive, this lacks the spiky, overcarbonated feel that Rogue beers can sometimes show. Could stand some more creaminess.

D - One bomber is plenty. Would be a great pairing with some kind of caramel-coffee type of dessert....or, pair it with a burger or a steak. Doesn't surprise me that Morimoto would affix his name to this, as this appears to be a very versatile food beer.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales