Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,663 | Reviews: 1,375
4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

650ml bottle. I very much like hazelnuts, especially when paired with chocolate, which seems to be the promise here.

This beer pours a clear, dark reddish amber hue, with two fingers of foamy, creamy pale beige head, which leaves a thin, low-lying wall of lace around the glass as it kind of hastily recedes.

It smells of lightly toasted hazelnut, bready caramel malt, milk chocolate, mild cafe au lait, and earthy, leafy hops. The taste is more semi-sweet, slightly oily roasted hazelnut, caramel cream, dry coffee, mildly bitter cocoa, and an indeterminate, but likely hop-borne dryness.

The carbonation is fairly soft, and generally innocuous, the body just a bit south of medium weight, and dime-store smooth. It finishes off-dry, the nutty character persisting well, and integrating more or less fully with the lingering malt and bittersweet chocolate notes.

Nutella, this ain't, however, the hazelnut extract offers a nice uptick to the decent base brown ale, in proportions that make it actually quite drinkable, as evidenced by my rapidly emptying glass. Oh, and good thing that I prefaced this all with that disclaimer: I do indeed freaking love hazelnuts, so it's a tad unfortunate that this offering is pushing 10 bucks a bottle 'round these parts.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Has a dark appearance, not unlike a dark wheat ale or doppelbock. Smells definitely of hazelnut.

Taste: this is where I have to disagree with some other reviewers. Most noted an overbearing hazelnut taste, with a lack of coffee/caramel/chocolate taste. Mine tastes strongly of a porter or chocolate stout. Absolutely delicious. The hazelnut isn't too strong or weak; just perfect.

Other notes: not much head develops, but what little does, stays for a nice lacing

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Had on-tap at the Rogue Ales Public House on Union Street in San Francisco.

Appearance: Dark caramel brown. Two fingers of tan, coffee-like head dissipated to a thin lacing.

Smell: Cocoa, mocha, and cappuccino. Very enticing. It also has a nutty quality, which I can't put down but am guessing is probably hazelnut.

Taste: The bartender said it was sweet, and, yes, it is very sweet after the initial flavor hits. The hazelnut is much more prevalent, and the cocoa/mocha/cappuccino from the aroma is nowhere to be found. There is a touch a caramel hidden deep underneath.

Drinkability: This is a good, complex brew. It's too sweet for my tastes, but a great beer to try on a nice day in San Francisco. I asked the bartender if it was a brown ale, and he said it was. However, this is a style all it's own; a subgenre of brown ale.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from that stylish brown bottle into a 22oz wine glass.

A - Nice dark mahogany colour. The kind of colour I'd like my floors to be. Good head formation with nice tight bubbles that sticks around for awhile until receding into a cap any sailor could be proud of. This is pretty beer.

S - Oh look Hazelnuts! But unfortunately it doesn't smell like hazelnuts it smells like hazelnut syrup. As in artificial. I picked up some other notes in there, but it was mainly hazelnut syrup.

T - Damn, there's a really good beer in there somewhere. It's hard for me to get past the hazelnut. Contrary to what Beers like Peche Mortel and Young's Double Chocolate stout have achieved by blending the flavours, however bold, to create a clearly defined palate, this beer seem dichotomous. There's a really nice Brown Ale I taste, and then there's a Hazelnut syrup. The flavours to be seem to be competitive rather than cooperative. It's hard to decide whether thats good or not because it's a tasty beer. I found it distracting.

M - Medium bodied and solid. Good level of carbonation for me. I found it very smooth and a little creamy.

D - The hazelnut was cloying by the end of the bottle for me. I usually don't think much of this category, but in this case there was something that really detracted towards the end. Not enough to bring down the flavour score, but enough to prevent a second bottle.

Notes: I think my review might come off harsher than intended. It just felt to me like the Hazelnut flavour was not well integrated into the profile, but the Brown Ale was solid, and the Hazelnut does taste nice for 7/8ths of it.

The only other issue I have with this beer is it's price. If it was something truly special, sure, I can see $6.15 for 650ml. When I can get La Fin Du Monde or Maudite for $5.40 for 750ml, I'm having a hard time making that choice.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

they say this beer is made with malt, hops, barley, water, and flavour?

Anybody know what 'flavour' means? I am guessing some sort of syrup or something they've added but I have no idea.

other that that it is a very drinkable beer. I've never had a beer like this before, and would probably have it no more than a couple times per year.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I have tried this beer.

Appearance: It has a a very deep amber color to it. It looks quite nice in the glass. The beer has minimal head. A small amount gathered at the top of the glass, and settled quickly. This isn't what I picture a brown ale to look like, but it does have a nice appearance.

Smell: The beer has strong roasted malt scent. I did detect the hazelnut, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The first sip caught me a little off guard. This beer is much sweeter than I expectedl. It finishes with a nice roasted taste, which I liked. The sweetness negatively affected this beer for me. The hazelnut was very prominent, which was expected, but I guess I just don't like hazelnut in my beer. The 6.2% ABV is very well hidden...little to no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: This beer felt very thin and watery. This is not what I expect in a brown ale. There wasn't very much carbonation, which accentuated the watery feel. Not much good going on in this department.

Drinkability: I could see myself buying a bomber of this once (maximum) per year. I can't say the beer is bad, but the sweetness, thin, watery aspects leave a little to be desired. One bomber was enough.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

650ml bottle. Pours a very dark red amber. Smells and tastes of hazelnut. Not bad, not great though. Easy to drink, but nothing special once again. After finishing the last of my bomber bottles of this, I grew more and more disappointed. Won't be buying this again.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Rogue hazelnut brown is wonderful from the start. I got a pint of this at the Yard house in Waikiki. It has a beautiful deep brown caramel color and a dark red color when held to indirect light. Nice frothy mellow head.

Smells very strongly of malt and nuts. Nice and roasty!

Taste is exceptional as well. It has a warming dark roasty and nutty taste that gets better as you drink.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and mellow. Just letting is wander on your tongue for a few seconds is blissful.

Drinkability is just right. Just the right mix of ingredients allows you to sip on it for hours.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Just finished my first round of midterms, so I decided to reward myself with this bad boy.

Pours a slightly hazy deep amber with really nice ruby red highlights. Just over a finger of light khaki head top this beer, leaving minimal lace.

I think I drooled a little when I first took a whiff of this beer. Smoooth, creamy hazelnut, caramel, toasted bready malts and a sweet hint of dark fruits.

Smooth, chewy hazelnut and bready malts up front followed by some roasted malts, dry chocolate hint and a subtle, crisp hoppy finish.

Perfectly balanced but a tad bit watery. An easy quaffer.

Overall, an excellent brew from Rogue. They never seem to let me down. Salivating inducing smell coupled with great taste and excellent balance. Despite its higher price, I would definitely buy this one again.. and again.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a hazy brown with a thin khaki head, and some lacing.

smells of malt, caramel, nuts, some spice, chocolate, a bit of coffee, and a roastiness.

taste is creamy and smooth, burnt toffee, brown sugar, nuts, some cocoa, and a little spice, ends tangy, and slightly bitter.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in pint glass.

Rich mahogany color, with a tan, moderately retentive head. Looks delicious.

Sweet, roasted hazelnut aroma very prominent. Caramel also detected. No hop presence.

Roasted malt sweetness with hints of vanilla and butterscotch. Gives way to a subtle, smoky taste of some sort. Aftertaste of hazelnut and coffee beans.

Light and very pleasant carbonation. Flavorful yet easy on the palate. Mouthfeel was a smidgen too thin for my preference.

Another great beer from Rogue.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

Purchased at Cooper St. LCBO. Love the nice 650ml bottle.

A: a stiff pour into a pint glass yields a two finger head which disappears quickly. Looks average for a brown ale.

S: smell is much better when the head is still alive. If it is; expect a nice roasted hazelnut scent. very little hop presence. Certainly nothing to complain about here.

T: not as nutty as I was hoping. I was expecting this to be a more "amped up" version of a classic brown ale like Newcastle or Samuel Smiths. I cant help but notice its a little artificial tasting and metallic on the finish.

M: feels thin and sharp sticky as well.

D: Not one I'd reach for several times in a night.

-- I don't know if they re-formulated this beer for us Ontario LCBO customers - but this seems a little overrated. Samuel Smiths is much better and cheaper in my opinion.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the Rogue painted 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Pours deep reddish brown with minimal amount of foam. Completely blocks the light. Maybe its the work nectar in the title, but that is definitely what the pours looks like - almost syrupy.

Nutty smell, the hzelnut is definitely there, as is a sweet caramel.

Taste is the hazelnut, with hints of chocolate, very muted coffee. Sweet but extremely well balanced. Hop in there, but only to hold the flavor in check. Everything works.

Not hugely carbonated, but doesn't need to be.

Very drinkable and tasty. A great example of a typically tasty style.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown with a nice caramel head that dissipates almost immediately leaving nearly zero lacing.

Smell: Lots of Hazelnut hits the nose here. Malt notes follow the nutty notes. Caramel is also present.

Taste: We have a nice upfront nutty taste with malt flavors lingering on the pallet after swallowing. Slight hop taste in the after finish as well. Overall very nice.

Mouthfeel: Very light feeling in the mouth for how much flavor we have in this beer.

Drinkability: This is a pretty good beer but it could definitely be better, think a bigger Guinness type beer. For the price, taste, and ABV this is only a slightly above average brew but worthy of a drink.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bomber bought at Beltway Fine Wine

An aggressive pour yields a rocky one-finger tan head that subsides relatively quickly. The body is a very deep reddish brown with ruby highlights.

Smell consists of a robust hazelnut aroma, it's so assertive I can hardly smell anything else. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, as the hazelnut smell is very pleasant.

Taste showcases the rich hazelnut upfront, with milder caramel and vanilla notes on the finish. A toffee character makes its presence known, too.

Mouthfeel is full, but the carbonation is a little much for my tastes.

Solid drinkability on this one, despite the incredibly bold flavors. A bomber of this is definitely enough, but it goes down very easy. This is a very nice brown ale, and a must try for hazelnut fans.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Dark Brown/Slightly Red, the head disappears instantly after pour with only a little trace of it ever being there. Besides the head being gone, the color of the beer itself makes it look very appealing. Dude on the bottle makes me want to cheers him and drink.

Smell - The smell is very nutty, definitely caramel and vanilla.

Taste - This beer is delicious, from the first sip to the aftertaste. It tastes very nutty, with toffee, caramel and maybe wheat. Some super fire.

Mouthfeel - Perfectly carbinated, not overly sharp, but smooth even while in your mouth.

Drinkability/Overall Review - I love this beer, delicious, I will definitely have this beer again and it is officially one of my favorites. Rogue has done it again!

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A wonderful beer. This beer has a caramel/toffee/hazelnut flavor that is fantastic and complements the brown ale perfectly. I gave a sample to some non-BA friends and they were all floored along with me.

This beer is sweet but not too sweet, and has a mice malt backbone (as an english brown should).

This beer is fantastic and worth every penny. World-class, this is an instant favorite of mine.

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great smell - my palate isn't developed enough to pick up the intricacies, but it just has that great beer smell and the nutty scent is noticeable. Nice amber color with a reasonable head. Fantastic taste - almost smooth to a fault. Very malty and sweet - felt like I was drinking liquid candy.

I think this has instantly become one of my favorites. Could work as a session beer if you can handle the sweetness.

I have to make a slight revision to my review: It's delicious, to be sure, but I found that the sweetness actually got to be a bit overpowering towards the end. I was thrilled at first, but afterwards it began to feel like more a novelty to me. I'm really torn. Can you fault a beer for tasting too good?

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This combines two of my favorite things, hazelnuts and brown ale. Very excited to review this as I remember LOVING this beer when I had it the past few times.

A - Medium brown colored with a nice fluffy light brown head.

S - Nutty with butterscotch as well. Hints of chocolate and malt. Some vanilla as well.

T - Oh my. Nice vanilla/butterscotch flavor up front that rides out with a toasted malt flavor. Nutty and rich. Malty at first and seems to thin out flavorwise as it finishes. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Absolutely FANTASTIC!

M - Creamy mouthfeel and lightly carbonated.

D - What a treat this is. Rogue needs to release it in six packs, it is definitely sessionable. However having a big bottle once in a while really makes me appreciate it.

This is by far my favorite brown ale. I can assure you that you have not had a brown quite like this. Very unique and special. I can't think of one bad aspect about this one. It stands out from the other Rogue big beers to me, along with the Chocolate Stout. SOLID. I also really like the label, mine has the guy raising his fist as if to say "Hell yes" unlike the one shown here. One of my favorite Rogue labels.

Appearance: Brown, good head.

Smell: Very nutty, butterscotch?

Taste: Nutty, sweet, creamy feel, yet also feels light and smooth drinking.

Drinkability: A nice change of pace from my usual hop bombs.

I first tried this beer at a fest and was really impressed, as I normally don't go for brown ales. Finally got around to buying a bottle and I still like it. Nice and malty but not overly sweet. Tasty stuff.

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Deep Amber-brown, transparent. The head is a nice full tan color, with Belgian Lace that hangs down the side of the glass.

Aroma: A strong nutty/vanilla aroma with a hint of sweet malt. There's a small hint of metal, but just a hint.

Taste: Strong vanilla flavors, sweet and malty on the foundation. There's a thinning out on the finish, but in a pleasant way, like an appropriate decrescendo. A small hint of bitterness, but just only.

Mouthfeel: Full flavored, but light on the palate. Just about perfect for a brown ale.

Drinkability: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.If you're a fan of malt, but not a fan of hops, this is the perfect beer.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is off brown with darkening hues. Off white head, copious amounts of lacing. Malt's-a-popping in the nose. Some sweet cherry port, chicory, and hazelnut. Flavor is sweet but that is little surprise...reminiscent of tiramisu but less of a coffee taste...toffee, dried cherry. Just tons of malt without any balancing agent.

A bit too sweet to make an evening out of. Theres a ton of flavor going on and its very entertaining to sip. Just a bit so sweet that it gets a bit uncomfortable on the tongue after a pint.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Paid $4.99 at local grocer on sale. Normally sells for $5.99.

A-Pours a dark reddish brown with a 2 finger light tan head that recedes quickly leaving only scant lacing.

S- Chocolate and roasted hazelnuts.

T-Rich chocolate with a nutty essence and hints of coffee.

M-Very smooth with a balanced complexion.

D-A good English style brown ale, but not on par with Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale, which is less expensive.

This beer was enigmatic for me. Not a true to style brown ale since it had characteristics common to porters. Overpriced compared to other beers of similar quality. Seems Rogue is trying to be Oregon's answer to Stone Brewing. I vote Stone.

on tap at the Tremont Tap house, poured into a oversized wine glass

a: translicent medium brown color, nice creamy off white head

s: roasted barrly gives off slight coffee aroma, also has a nice nut aroma

t: nice mixture of hazelnut, and roasted/ carmalized malt. hint of coholate and slight fruit. Big on sweetness.

m&d: light mouthfeel, just creamy to the palate. Excellent Beer!

Cheers!!!

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer pours a dark mahogany colour with average carbonation that leaves a one finger fast vanishing head with subtle lacing,it has strong aromas of hazelnuts and some roasted malts,it has an average mouthfeel with a nice hazelnut,chocolatey taste to it with the hops playing second fiddle in this beer i mean u can taste them but this beer is so perfectly balanced out that nothing in this beer is overpowering yet u can taste everything which makes the drinkability for me high,im so glad i tried this beer and will buy again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales