Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
HardTarget

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

650 ml Standard brown bomber, pictured bottle matches mine as does all the specifics listed in other reviews. With all the info, you think they could list date and abv. I aged this bottle for close to a year.
Aroma: A nice nutty edge (almonds to me, but presumed hazelnut) dark chocolate and malt in a brown ale smell. Overall, rather sweet with mild hop aromas.
Appearance: Light clear brown glass with yellowish edges. A nice head at the pour that quickly thins and fades to a collar with only sporadic spots of lace. Small soda like large bubble head forms with larger drinks that fades fast just like a soda.
Flavor: I get a lot of chocolate, milk chocolate, the same nutty edge, and a fine brown ale buried under it all. Nicely balanced with a slight tilt to the sweet. Hard to pull any hop tastes out.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with an assertive but appropriate carbonation. Fairly clean finish.
Overall Impression: I enjoy the smell a bit more than the taste. The nut flavor is a bit artificial tasting but not horribly so. I think I’d like the unflavored version of this brown ale. To me, it’s very close to the other Rogue Hazelnut. A touch sweet for a session and the bomber is probably best split with friends as a dessert.

12-04-2004 01:03:05 | More by HardTarget
chunkylover53

Ontario (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Well here's an interesting one... It poured very dark with absolutely no smell and no head.

The mouthfeel was weak, and there was very little taste at first. I wondered why on earth it was called "hazelnut" when it tasted more like water. Then I swallowed it and *BAM!* Hazelnut hit me completely outta nowhere. Weird.

Definitely a good session beer.

11-29-2004 04:13:49 | More by chunkylover53
oberon

Another of the dark rich beers had during the day,pours a deep brown with some amber highlights thr out a nice creamy looking head that leaves a light amount of lace,big rich aromas some sweet cream and vanilla with only a light hazelnut note.Taste up is of dark roast coffee going into a light mocha flavor with that hazelnut flavor coming thry late and even more as it warmed.A rich flavorful brown ale somewhat sweet but not cloying a good dessert beer I would think.

11-26-2004 02:29:25 | More by oberon
Bierguy5

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap. Dark brown cloudy liquid with a very thin off-white head. Small amounts of lace on the glass. Smells slighty roasty, with a nuttiness. Big malty flavors, not quite dark roast. Nutty sewwtness. Dry finish. Not much bitterness. Medium body, low carbonation. There is a lot of flavor in this brown. Easy to drink. Good beer.

11-24-2004 18:15:42 | More by Bierguy5
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Dark brown chestnut with some mahogany highlights with a dark tan head forms nicely dwindles at a good pace, much obliged to imbibe on this brew. Aroma: Chocolate roasts syrupy hazelnut goodness partially baked cookie dough what a freakin beer. Taste: Haszelnut sweetness standsout once again what can I say a true classic creation touch of herbal hops pac man yeast is evident definitely more toward a dessert beer. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied slightly stickey at times even carbonation no complaints from this compadre. Drinkability: Damn near excellent in my opinion just so worth the price five bucks for a bomber I'm loving it.

11-24-2004 09:59:57 | More by WVbeergeek
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

A deep brown pour with a huge tan head. Semi sweet nose. A little nuttiness and some chocolatey notes. The taste was of dry cocoa, light chocolate and a semi-bitter and hazelnut finish. A mostly light bodied beer with a smooth creaminess in the mouthfeel. The finish lingered nice and long and had a good combo of malty, hop and nut. A very good brown ale.

11-19-2004 20:01:43 | More by Popsinc
oracle

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +13%

Beer arrived a deep brown, almost black with fluffy 1 inch off white head the left heavy lacing.

Smelled great, light and sweet with hints of hops.

Refreshing clean malt flavor, a light nuttiness and slightly sweet with a hint of coffee in the finish.

Very good and very easy to drink. I wish we could get kegs of this more often

11-18-2004 16:43:32 | More by oracle
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Roasted nut brown with a significant infusion of crimson; the beer is especially ruddy when backlit. The ecru cap is dense, creamy and sticky--typical Rogue quality--and is impressively persistent. Small sheets of thick lace are nice to look at, but don't last as long as I'd like.

The aroma isn't as hazelnutty as I'd feared. I faulted the Morimoto version for being too one-dimensional, too focused on hazelnut. My hope is that this beer doesn't suffer a similar fate. Exiting the glass is a glorious combination chocolate malt, vanilla and buttered, roasted hazelnuts. Well done.

In comparison to Morimoto, this is easily the better beer, largely because its hazelnut flavor is more in harmony with the brown ale rather than completely dominating it. Outside of the obvious added flavor, the malt bill is a highlight (although it's hard to fathom why 7 different varieties of malt were necessary). Roasted barley is a larger part of the flavor profile than is chocolate, thereby allowing the hazelnut essence to shine. Tobacco is a subtle contributor as well.

Drinkability is enhanced by the fact that the beer falls marginally on the bitter side of the sweet-bitter continuum. The body firms up nicely with warming, even edging into creamy by the final third of the bottle. The finish is characterized by a piquant, nutty flavor that, once again, is evidence of an evenhanded addition of hazelnut nectar. Restraint was needed... and restraint was exercised.

This beer is a pleasant surprise. I'm a Rogue fan, but I wasn't expecting much after being disappointed by Morimoto Hazelnut. The secret, I believe, is that this beer is first and foremost a quality brown ale and the hazelnut flavor is complimentary in the best possible way. I should never have doubted. For my penance, I'll purchase a few more bombers as soon as possible.

11-17-2004 21:24:25 | More by BuckeyeNation
woemad

Washington

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

22oz bomber purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $4.79.

Poured a dark brown, with a tan head that dropped quickly, leaving a modest amount of lace.

Smell was of hazelnut (duh) and of sweet caramel.

Taste wasn't bad, really, but I think it would be better if it wern't so sweet. The hazelnut/caramel sweetness comes blasting through as subtle as Andrew Dice Clay (remember him?). I can't find one iota of hops in this, it's all sweet malts and hazelnut extract. Honestly, I enjoy it's flavor, and it's definitely living up to it's name, but I sure wouldn't want this as a session beer.

This has a fuller body that I thought it would, but it's not overpowering. I'd call it a thick medium bodied beer, if that makes any sense.

This is a tasty beer for after dinner, while not nearly as filling as many beers I would call "dessert beers," this is definitely too sweet to be a session beer, at least for me. It was perfectly agreeable in a bomber-sized amount, however

11-11-2004 09:13:08 | More by woemad
mschofield

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a deep dark brown, topped with a two to three finger creamy khaki head, leaves webs of lacing.
Great aroma, very robust, nuts, pine and caramel, light chocolate note.
Very strongly nut flavored - hazelnut I suppose - comes across better in the aftertaste. Sweet, caramel, pine toffee, and light chocolate, but there is too much hazelnut it's overwhelming.
Medium bodied and smooth, would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream. It could have been a lot better.

11-03-2004 00:25:10 | More by mschofield
Crosling

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Dark Brown.

Fruit, coffee beans, hazelnut, chocolate and cream in the aroma. Fantastic flavor.

The malts combined with the hazelnut provide a deep, rich flavor with notes of hazelnut, coffee, cream, nuts, chocolate, fruit and caramel. The hops are spicy but overtaken by other flavors. A unique brown ale. Very tasty.

10-25-2004 22:30:01 | More by Crosling
budgood1

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

pours out of the 22 oz. bomber a transluscent deep and dark amber colour...with a thin tan head. clinging lace. nutty aroma...fresh and appealing. the sweet nutty flavours explode upon first sip...hazelnut nirvana. there are some other slight secondary and tertiary flavours...cocoa and caramel and toffee...but the nutty flavours are front and center. this is much more bold than the hazelnut brown nectar of yore. the only complaint is that the extract used gets in the way of the smooth and rich mouthfeel...it's a bit distracting in the grand scheme of things. flavouring hops provide a nice balance, taste, and sense of bitterness to accompany the "rich nutty flavour". full bodied...and sensory overload for a beer. a meal in a bottle. another rogue delight.

thanks tony for bringing this all the way from oregon!

10-24-2004 03:03:17 | More by budgood1
Globetrotter

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Brown bomber with an oriental man holding up a mug of beer and some oriental characters. Label includes the ingredients, which all sound impressive. No fre3shness info.

Pours a clear cola brown under a two finger off white head that is quite think and fades quickly without leaving any lace. The nose is marvellous - strong and sweet of caramel and hazelnut. The mouth is quite prickly, light and clean. The taste is intense - nut and caramel, but more than a bit on the sugary sweet side. The taste reminds me of root beer. There is just the slightest hint of hops, but the finish is sweet, the aftertaste is sweet, the entire impression is sweet. Definitely disappointing.

10-21-2004 03:18:24 | More by Globetrotter
hero27

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

10-04-2004 07:26:44 | More by hero27
beragg

Iowa

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

I was really looking forward to trying this. Thank God, it was already chilled so I didn't have to wait at home. It poured an attractive brown with a decent head but nothing amzing. When I smelled it I cought something that I thought for sure was soy sauce, it might have been the marraige of the hops and the hazelnut, I don't know, but that's just what I smelled. When I tasted it though it was absolutely awesome! So was the mouthfeel. This is a beer I could drink a lot of. Hopefull they will put this in sixers (I've only seen the big 22 oz bottles). I definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Domo arigato Morimotosan!

10-03-2004 21:28:06 | More by beragg
merlin48

Kentucky

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

American brown ales are my least favorite of styles, but I can tell by this Rogue's aroma that I will like this one.
22 oz bottle pours an opaque, deep brown body with a one finger, tan head that is shortlived. Creamy, patch lacing survives about five minutes before vanishing.
Ah, what a wonderful aroma. Citrusy hops hit the nose first, eclipsed immediately by chocolate and hazelnut. Several malt varieties are suggested in the nose, but a hops note of grapefruit, and occasional pine cone, lends a welcome balance. Hazelnut takes over, and provides a lasting nutty essence.
Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a balancing hops bite, and soft, medium body.
The taste is, essentially, a hazelnut chocolate bar, in liquid form. Sweetish, malt presence is powerful, but the hops presence stands up well against it, with a grapefruit bitterness. This Rogue would be a malt bomber, if not for the outstanding, hops balance. Very complex, and cleverly crafted.
Extraordinary drinkability for a brown ale. I can't recall rating an American brown ale higher than this one. Rogue has served up a full plate with this one. Loaded with quality malts, strong essence of nutty hazelnut, and a hops character to balance it all into a supremely drinkable brown ale. Well done!

10-03-2004 00:09:57 | More by merlin48
bultrey

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Cola-esque brown color with a thin head that is retained throughout. The smell here is quite remarkable -- caramalized brown sugar and some definite nutiness -- it just smells like a candy bar. Then the first sip -- and I'm a little disappointed. It's good, it just doesn't live up to the aroma. The brown sugar is there momentarily up front, and the hazelnut flavor is alos apparent, but this quickly dissolves into a relatively thin and astringent finish. This actually makes the brew a bit more quaffable than your average brown ale. I suspect this would be better on draft, and would welcome a pint in the future.

09-29-2004 01:09:26 | More by bultrey
TastyTaste

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a very deep browninto a sam smith tulip, with subtle maroon highlights at the bottom of the glass. Smells of brown sugar, and yes, hazelnut, with some light chocolate tones in the background. Taste is purely from the sweet side. Very chocolatey, a lot of hazelnut flavors. Finish is dry, from light hops. An above average beer, not rogue's best, but very good.

09-28-2004 00:13:16 | More by TastyTaste
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

My new favorite brown ale, happy to have had the chance to sample it in Vegas. Came in a 650 ml brown bottle, with silk-screened wrap-around label. Pours out with a clear sexy ruby chestnut body, creamy off-white head. Toasted malts, sweet nuts, and mild chocolate on the nose. Chocolatey malt flavour, with toasted nuts and a light hop finish. Slight mocha coffee rounding out the finish as well and melding into the aftertaste. A light mouthfeel for such robust flavour. Still, this has become a definite favorite of mine, a fantastic brown ale, it could easily become a daily standard if it were so easily available.

09-28-2004 00:00:31 | More by IronDjinn
Gagnonsux

I also paid $4.49 for a 22 Oz. bottle, which is a little too much for a college student such as myself. Still, it is fun to spring for stuff like this every now and then. Appearance is a very dark brown with a creamy, light brown head. Smell is nutty, fairly strong, but not overpowering. Taste is mildly nutty, however I was expecting it to be a little more intense from the aroma. Note: Let this beer warm up a little to unleash more nutty flavor. This is nicely balanced which adds to a nice drinkability. Still, I wish the nutty flavor was stronger. Overall, this is a really good beer, but lacks something to be an all-time great.

09-07-2004 01:53:02 | More by Gagnonsux
trumick

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from 20 oz bottle a deep clear amber with one finger head, which disapeared fairly quick.
The scent is amazing, chocolate, malt and nutty with a slight hint of coffee. Makes my mouth water in anticipation, very nice.
The taste is also outstanding, with the chocolate, nutty taste upfront. After the last sip, I can now taste the hazelnut that it has warmed a bit. WOW, this is even better now that it has warmed. It is sweet but well balanced. The hazelnut stays with you for a bit, but it does finish with some light hop flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination, also very nice.
The drinkability is very high. I could drink a lot of these in one sitting. Very palatable and easy to drink.
I am very glad I picked this beer to try. This is the best beer I have tried so far in my short time with the BA site. I will be sharing this experience with all the beer drinkers I know.

09-02-2004 02:55:42 | More by trumick
beertaster13

Washington

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark mocha brown with ruby streaks, the lightish tan head is a nice thickness at first then settles to average. Lacing is average as well. The smell is strong on chocolate covered nuts, the hazlenut is noticable but not overly offensive. The taste is very caramel/molasses, slight traces of nut but doesn't throw off the sweetness, a slight bitter hop blends the beer into a solid creation. Medium to almost full bodied, smooth and rich, very good dessert beer.

08-17-2004 06:51:05 | More by beertaster13
tjthresh

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Very nice beer.

Dark brown. Nice fluffy head. Moderate carbonation.
Robust chocolatey nutty aroma. Man this stuff really smells great.
I didn't know what a hazelnut tasted like until I took a drink of this. I like hazelnuts. The choclateyness really works well with the nuttyness. This medium bodied beer seems to stick around in you mouth for a while. Man this is good. Probably the best Rogue ale I've tried so far.

08-10-2004 20:53:53 | More by tjthresh
SlowTwitch

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Reddish brown. Clear. Tight 3/4" head when poured. Laces nicely and lace sticks to glass through the drink.

Smell - Nutty, chocolatey, rich.

Taste - A nice rich maltiness. Hops present in aftertaste that aren't noticeable when first tasted. Chocolate malts are easy to identify. Call me crazy, but I didn't taste the hazelnut (or general 'nuttiness') as much as I expected to.

Mouthfeel - Rich mouthfeel. Taste lingers for a while between sips.

Drinkability - Easier to drink as the beer warms.

Overall - Good beer with a great initial richness that is more apparent as the beer warms. Not the best example of a Brown Ale, but one that is certainly worth tasting.

08-09-2004 04:31:35 | More by SlowTwitch
CSquared

22 oz bomber

Appearance: beautiful translucent medium brown beer with a small light brown head and light lacing

Aroma: the aroma was my favorite part of this beer. Lots of nuttines, sweet malts and chocolate notes

Taste: sweet malts and the hazelnut prevail, light caramel notes. the beer got too be a bit too sweet by the end of the bomber though

Mouthfeel: medium body and very smooth, light aftertaste

Drinkability: Moderately drinkable beer, nice and smooth but the sweetness would have me looking for something else after two

08-08-2004 16:42:26 | More by CSquared