Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

hero27, Oct 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

I was really looking forward to trying this. Thank God, it was already chilled so I didn't have to wait at home. It poured an attractive brown with a decent head but nothing amzing. When I smelled it I cought something that I thought for sure was soy sauce, it might have been the marraige of the hops and the hazelnut, I don't know, but that's just what I smelled. When I tasted it though it was absolutely awesome! So was the mouthfeel. This is a beer I could drink a lot of. Hopefull they will put this in sixers (I've only seen the big 22 oz bottles). I definitely recommend this beer to anyone. Domo arigato Morimotosan!

beragg, Oct 03, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

American brown ales are my least favorite of styles, but I can tell by this Rogue's aroma that I will like this one.
22 oz bottle pours an opaque, deep brown body with a one finger, tan head that is shortlived. Creamy, patch lacing survives about five minutes before vanishing.
Ah, what a wonderful aroma. Citrusy hops hit the nose first, eclipsed immediately by chocolate and hazelnut. Several malt varieties are suggested in the nose, but a hops note of grapefruit, and occasional pine cone, lends a welcome balance. Hazelnut takes over, and provides a lasting nutty essence.
Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a balancing hops bite, and soft, medium body.
The taste is, essentially, a hazelnut chocolate bar, in liquid form. Sweetish, malt presence is powerful, but the hops presence stands up well against it, with a grapefruit bitterness. This Rogue would be a malt bomber, if not for the outstanding, hops balance. Very complex, and cleverly crafted.
Extraordinary drinkability for a brown ale. I can't recall rating an American brown ale higher than this one. Rogue has served up a full plate with this one. Loaded with quality malts, strong essence of nutty hazelnut, and a hops character to balance it all into a supremely drinkable brown ale. Well done!

merlin48, Oct 03, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Cola-esque brown color with a thin head that is retained throughout. The smell here is quite remarkable -- caramalized brown sugar and some definite nutiness -- it just smells like a candy bar. Then the first sip -- and I'm a little disappointed. It's good, it just doesn't live up to the aroma. The brown sugar is there momentarily up front, and the hazelnut flavor is alos apparent, but this quickly dissolves into a relatively thin and astringent finish. This actually makes the brew a bit more quaffable than your average brown ale. I suspect this would be better on draft, and would welcome a pint in the future.

bultrey, Sep 29, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a very deep browninto a sam smith tulip, with subtle maroon highlights at the bottom of the glass. Smells of brown sugar, and yes, hazelnut, with some light chocolate tones in the background. Taste is purely from the sweet side. Very chocolatey, a lot of hazelnut flavors. Finish is dry, from light hops. An above average beer, not rogue's best, but very good.

TastyTaste, Sep 28, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

My new favorite brown ale, happy to have had the chance to sample it in Vegas. Came in a 650 ml brown bottle, with silk-screened wrap-around label. Pours out with a clear sexy ruby chestnut body, creamy off-white head. Toasted malts, sweet nuts, and mild chocolate on the nose. Chocolatey malt flavour, with toasted nuts and a light hop finish. Slight mocha coffee rounding out the finish as well and melding into the aftertaste. A light mouthfeel for such robust flavour. Still, this has become a definite favorite of mine, a fantastic brown ale, it could easily become a daily standard if it were so easily available.

IronDjinn, Sep 28, 2004

I also paid $4.49 for a 22 Oz. bottle, which is a little too much for a college student such as myself. Still, it is fun to spring for stuff like this every now and then. Appearance is a very dark brown with a creamy, light brown head. Smell is nutty, fairly strong, but not overpowering. Taste is mildly nutty, however I was expecting it to be a little more intense from the aroma. Note: Let this beer warm up a little to unleash more nutty flavor. This is nicely balanced which adds to a nice drinkability. Still, I wish the nutty flavor was stronger. Overall, this is a really good beer, but lacks something to be an all-time great.

Gagnonsux, Sep 07, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from 20 oz bottle a deep clear amber with one finger head, which disapeared fairly quick.
The scent is amazing, chocolate, malt and nutty with a slight hint of coffee. Makes my mouth water in anticipation, very nice.
The taste is also outstanding, with the chocolate, nutty taste upfront. After the last sip, I can now taste the hazelnut that it has warmed a bit. WOW, this is even better now that it has warmed. It is sweet but well balanced. The hazelnut stays with you for a bit, but it does finish with some light hop flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination, also very nice.
The drinkability is very high. I could drink a lot of these in one sitting. Very palatable and easy to drink.
I am very glad I picked this beer to try. This is the best beer I have tried so far in my short time with the BA site. I will be sharing this experience with all the beer drinkers I know.

trumick, Sep 02, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark mocha brown with ruby streaks, the lightish tan head is a nice thickness at first then settles to average. Lacing is average as well. The smell is strong on chocolate covered nuts, the hazlenut is noticable but not overly offensive. The taste is very caramel/molasses, slight traces of nut but doesn't throw off the sweetness, a slight bitter hop blends the beer into a solid creation. Medium to almost full bodied, smooth and rich, very good dessert beer.

beertaster13, Aug 17, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Very nice beer.

Dark brown. Nice fluffy head. Moderate carbonation.
Robust chocolatey nutty aroma. Man this stuff really smells great.
I didn't know what a hazelnut tasted like until I took a drink of this. I like hazelnuts. The choclateyness really works well with the nuttyness. This medium bodied beer seems to stick around in you mouth for a while. Man this is good. Probably the best Rogue ale I've tried so far.

tjthresh, Aug 10, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Reddish brown. Clear. Tight 3/4" head when poured. Laces nicely and lace sticks to glass through the drink.

Smell - Nutty, chocolatey, rich.

Taste - A nice rich maltiness. Hops present in aftertaste that aren't noticeable when first tasted. Chocolate malts are easy to identify. Call me crazy, but I didn't taste the hazelnut (or general 'nuttiness') as much as I expected to.

Mouthfeel - Rich mouthfeel. Taste lingers for a while between sips.

Drinkability - Easier to drink as the beer warms.

Overall - Good beer with a great initial richness that is more apparent as the beer warms. Not the best example of a Brown Ale, but one that is certainly worth tasting.

SlowTwitch, Aug 09, 2004

22 oz bomber

Appearance: beautiful translucent medium brown beer with a small light brown head and light lacing

Aroma: the aroma was my favorite part of this beer. Lots of nuttines, sweet malts and chocolate notes

Taste: sweet malts and the hazelnut prevail, light caramel notes. the beer got too be a bit too sweet by the end of the bomber though

Mouthfeel: medium body and very smooth, light aftertaste

Drinkability: Moderately drinkable beer, nice and smooth but the sweetness would have me looking for something else after two

CSquared, Aug 08, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Morimoto Hazelnut Brown Signature Ale pours a clear dark ruby color with a frothy tan head that quickly dissolved to a thin ring on the surface. No lace was on the glass as the beer emptied.

The aroma is mainly roasted malt with some notes of nuts and chocolate mixed in. Each sip of this medium bodied beer is a well blended taste of roasted malt, hazelnut and hints of chocolate. A hint of hops finishes each sip. I noticed that the chocolate aroma and flavor grew stronger as the beer warmed.

This is a nice beer with a well balanced flavor. It would be great with a chocolate dessert.

WanderingFool, Aug 05, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer pours a not too dark ruby red with a big head that disipates quickly. Smells of fruit, peach/plum and very seet malty aroma. The taste is complex with a nutty/plum taste mixed in with chocolate undertones. The mouthfeel is thick and and almost reminds me of taddy porter, but I may be halucinating. This beer is very drinkable, however I couldn't do more than two bombers in a session. Good job Rogue, however I did expect more seeing as how Morimoto is endorsing this beer. I am a big fan of Iron Chef.

rugger, Aug 03, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Presentation - 22 oz. bomber with Morimota signature. Once again, great bottle from Rogue. $4 at the Wine Seller in Williamsburg, VA

Appearance - decently thick, frothy tan head, dissipates to a decent film across the top. Dark brown hue, fairly opaque, copper tints.

Aroma - powerful, very nutty. I have to presume hazelnut, though I am not exactly sure what that smells like. Nice earthy, roasted aroma. Strong and very interesting, but perhaps a bit off-putting, though that could just be personal taste rather than a fault of the beer.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, nothing in particular. Carbonation was good, but maybe a bit strong. Doesn't really matter.

Taste - good, biting carbonation up front. Dissipates into a strong roasted malt and mostly nutty flavor at the back of the tounge. Very robust flavor. Settles down a bit leaving a slighty sweet malty flavor, feels like some chocolate malts as well.

Overall a pretty interesting, fairly aggressive brew. Admittedly hard for me to judge because I have had very little experience with brown ales. In any case, very drinkable, wish I had another.

dmbfrat420beers, Jul 15, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Nice dark brown/ruby red color with a coffee-colored head. I let mine sit for a while after pouring, so the head subsided substantially. Beautiful aroma of sweet syrup, coffee, hazelnuts, and roasted sweet malt. Wonderful palate of hazelnut, hazelnut, and more hazelnut, slightly balanced by some dry malt and toffee notes. (Had an idea while tasting this one: reduce it, maybe mix it with a little maple syrup, and pour it on pancakes. Haven't tried it, but I'm willing to be you won't be disappointed.)
Slightly sticky body, but overall very nice. Couldn't drink more than one of these in a session, but who would want to? It's a wonderful, unique beer. Great companion while watching Morimoto battle it out on Iron Chef.

ElGordo, Jul 10, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a deep brown color with ruby accents. Looks like a good brown ale. Nice cream colored head dissapates rather quickly. Roasted nuts dominate the aroma with just a hint of hops. The taste leans toward the sweet side. Moderate carbonation.

This to me is a desert beer. Tastes like ameretto to me. By the end of the glass it's almost barleywinesqe in it's warming affect. If you like things a little sweet, give this beer a shot.

frazbri, Jul 08, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

This was a chesnut red-brown ale that had very little head, which may or may not be the result of how I poured it. Oh well.

The aroma was of rich dark malts, with a hint of nuttiness that was almost masked by the underlying sweetness.

The taste was of rich nutty malt, and it was definitely identifiable as hazelnut. It stood out, yet blended very very well. The balance was excellent. This lingered on in the aftertaste.

An excellent ale... I look forward to trying their Morimoto Hazelnut beer.

connecticutpoet, Jul 07, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Sampled on tap at Red Bones.

This brown poured a clear, dark chestnut color with light brown, creamy foam that settled. The smell was of dark caramel with a very light nutty aroma. The taste had caramel and faint hazelnuts with hints of coffee and toffee. There was a very light sweetness followed by a very light bitterness in the finish (hops, tannins?). The mouthfeel was dry and smooth with medium-full body and modest carbonation. The flavor lingered nicely. This was a very flavorful and enjoyable ale! Delicious on tap -- I will have to try it from a bottle someday.

UncleJimbo, Jul 05, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

22 oz. bomber with a silkscreened smiling Chef Morimoto inspecting a mug. Pours dark brown with reddish highlights. A small tan head quickly fades to a lasting thin foam ring. Smell is malt with hazelnuts. It smells like it's going to be really sweet... but it isn't. Taste is toasted malt with hazelnut flavor and a bit of coffee and dark chocolate. Smooth, hoppy finish with just a little bitterness. Light to medium body. A little alcohol warming in the throat as the beer warms. This is a good beer to sip over the course of an evening. Went well with a chocolate brownie I had for dessert!

jimdkc, Jun 30, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I dind't think this was awesome in the bottle, but this past week on tap at Redbones...it was delicious. Pour was dark brown with reddish highlights. I thought it had a roasted nutella smell to it. Taste was nice flavors of hazelnut, coffee, and chocolate all rolled up...I sorta got Tootsie Roll flavor off the beer. A flavorful beer that was in good shape, and if I saw on draft would get again, it beat the bottle version.

PatandDavid, Jun 27, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

(10/12/04 edit)
I tried this beer at the Rogue Brewery while in Newport, Ore., in October and my faith was restored. Freshness counts. The taste was nutty and malty and didn't have the nut extract taste I'd noticed when having it in Florida. I've adjusted my review accordingly.

---
(6/24/04 review follows)

I hadn't had Hazelnut Brown Nectar since I last reviewed it, and I haven't reviewed it on-tap. I must say I was disappointed by the beer I had at my local pub. It wasn't bad by any means, but it sure didn't live up to my memory of it.

I checked my review of the bottled version and the keg this beer came from must not be that fresh. It did have to travel all the way from Oregon to Florida. (Although I had some fantastic Rogue Dead Guy at the same pub last month.) The biggest characteristic in this beer is the hazelnut aroma/flavor, which is almost too powerful.

I will have to re-visit this beer. I'm making a mental note to try it on-tap at the Rogue brewery when I'm there in September.

I suggest you try this beer from the bottle unless you live on the West Coast of the United States. Otherwise the beer may not live up to its -- deserved -- fantastic reputation. When it's good, it's hard to beat. But this pint I had was just a bit too dull. It was average when it should have been excellent.

Shaw, Jun 24, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Surprisingly good, Morimoto-san. It pours a chocolate brown in color, with no head and no lace. The hops are even throughout the beer. The first hint of hazelnut comes in the aroma, but it is not as strong as I thought it was going to be when I tasted it. The hazelnut flavor was pretty subtle inbetween the earthy hops. A great beer for a tasting or to sip slowly.

MuddyFeet, Jun 23, 2004

Pours mohagany in color with a creamy tan head. The aroma is malty, toasty and nutty. The flavors are malty, with the hazelnut flavor from beginning to end. The hop flavor is minimal, but it concludes with a drying finish. It is a tasty, medium bodied brew. I will drink this one again.

Sampled 3/20/04

BeerBuilder, Jun 13, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours with a one-finger head that fades quickly to a ring leaving no lace. Deep, clear amber color. Low carbonation. Nose is a light malt. Light bodied which is surprising for a brown. Starts malty and then the hazelnut kicks in - very nice. The ABV is 8.8%. $4.60 for a 22oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

jdhilt, Jun 12, 2004