Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,810
3.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A darker beer, light brown, some red in the light prism. Nuttyaroma, euro hop smell.

Nutty and malty, but not overly thickening. Thinner than the appearance. Kinda tastes like it has oats even though the ingredients say no such thing. Chocolate nuts. Very slight chocolate. A real malt bomb without being thick. Not for hopheads. Always pricey when it comes to these guys. (373 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance – Dark ruby brown in color with a nice tan head.

Smell – The sharp hazelnuts lead the way along with a hint of chocolate and some solid, toasted malt.

Taste – The nut flavor comes out big in the tongue. The malt base is there as well along with some stiff, balancing hops (was there any doubt?). I was barely able to taste the chocolate cocoa powder that I picked up at the nose.

Mouthfeel – Flat and medium-bodied without a hint of alcohol.

Drinkability – This is a fair rendition of the style, although I thought the hazelnut could have been a little more subdued and the ale better balanced. (622 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Wonder if I paid more to get this "Signature ale" anyway, this good looking bomber releases its contents smoothly into my tasting glass, seems prety highly carbonated with alot of bubles rising and sticking tot he side of the glass. Floats a LONG lasting medium tan, tiny bubble head, that eventually leaves a sh%t load of tiny bubble sticky sheeting. Nose of sweet malt, some slight soapyness and perhaps a metallic note..hmmmm, any way this one is smooth enough, notes of some caramel and nutyness in the finish, but I do pick up some funky off notes, more soap? Slightly off and a rip at $7.49...oh well, Rogue used to be one of my favs... (642 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Opaque, deep ruby in color with an aroma that is all nuts. The flavor had a little coffee aftertaste and slight malt, but they were way overpowered by the nuttiness. It was very smooth and full of flavor, and they certainly achieved the desired result of hazlenut, but it was too simple for me. More malt and less hazlenut might have made this a more balanced beer. Not a bad beer, just not one of my top choices. (417 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar is one of the best brown ales I've ever had. It pours to produce a light tan head, with a cloudy and dark brown body. Thin lacing lasts a good while. Gives off a slight chocolaty aroma and tastes chocolaty, but with a vivid hazelnut sweetness. (265 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a standard US pint glass.

Pours a dark. brownish copper with one finger of tan head which dissipates rapidly. If you didn't know what this was, you could easily mistake it for a cola. The nose is sweet, roasty, and malty, somewhat understated, but quite good for a brown ale.

The sweet malty taste dominates the flavor, until the very end, when the hazelnut comes on strong. The aftertaste is all hazelnut, somewhat bitter, but very good. I am a big hazelnut fan, and this is spot on.

The mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and full, but also well-carbonated. This is a pretty drinkable beer, assuming that you really like hazelnut. If you don't, well, then one glass will probably be your limit. (731 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours clear reddish brown with thick head that dissipates quickly to 1/8" thick and eventually to a thin film. The smell is strong malt with a definite nutty overtone that comes across as an extract - so much so that I looked on the bottle ingredients and noted that they use almond extract. I feel that this is a little overwhelming both in smell and especially in flavor. The initial flavor is strong malt with notable hazelnut oil flavor. The malt is complex enough, but the nut flavor is a little over the top, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied with active carbonation. This is an interesting beer, but I prefer browns that are a little mellower and smoother. Rogue's is worth trying, but if I wanted a beer with this much flavor I would crack a different style altogether. (797 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured out a chocolate brown, failry clear, with a thick creamy tan head. The nose was sweet, full of hazelnut, creamy, with some mild spicing. The taste was a little watered down for me, nice hazelnut flavor, kind of sweet, but not enough body or malt backing this guy up. Instead of being a nuance, the hazelnut was the main attraction here. A decent effort, but this needs to be bigger. The hazelnut is a bit too cloying for me. (431 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Purchased at Cooper St. LCBO. Love the nice 650ml bottle.

A: a stiff pour into a pint glass yields a two finger head which disappears quickly. Looks average for a brown ale.

S: smell is much better when the head is still alive. If it is; expect a nice roasted hazelnut scent. very little hop presence. Certainly nothing to complain about here.

T: not as nutty as I was hoping. I was expecting this to be a more "amped up" version of a classic brown ale like Newcastle or Samuel Smiths. I cant help but notice its a little artificial tasting and metallic on the finish.

M: feels thin and sharp sticky as well.

D: Not one I'd reach for several times in a night.

-- I don't know if they re-formulated this beer for us Ontario LCBO customers - but this seems a little overrated. Samuel Smiths is much better and cheaper in my opinion. (837 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured out a 22 oz. bomber.
A: Dark brown with a hint of reddish hues, rootbeerish in color. Tan head that dissipates very quickly-I'm dissappointed with the head retention even after a vigorous pour.
S: Hazelnut, roasted/burnt nut, chocolate and fig smell all on a canvas driven by malt. Also a hint of bread in the b-ground.
T: Paralleling the smell the taste is encircled around a backdrop of malt. Definate hazelnut, bitter chocolate and fig tastes up front with malt throughout and especially in finish-sweet and malty. Also flavors of bread poking around. Sweet malt throughout.
MF: A smooth, medium mouthfeel that sits and rolls off the tongue nicely.
Overall: A solid Rogue offering and a great after dinner beer. May be too malty "sweet" for consumption anytime but after dinner. Makes for a nice desert beer though and I enjoyed the infused hazelnut-in taste and aroma. (887 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Strong nutty aroma, not as strong nut flavor. Taste did not jump out at me, and didn't linger either. A little higher carbonation than I prefer. Overall pretty decent though, and I would drink it again if offered. Probably won't be on my shopping list though. (259 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

It's been nearly a week since I enjoyed this Rogue offering. I'll write as descriptively as possible, but don't expect many details.

I purchased the beer several weeks ago, but never got around to drinking it. It sat in my fridge since, until last Sunday afternoon, and I had a hankering for a brew. I drank this beer much too cold to get the best experience out of it.

Nothing over-powering in the aroma. Hints of sweet malt and hazelnut were the predominant qualities. Tastes, aside from being too cold, malty, with a slight hop bite in the back of the mouth. The hazelnut flavor was not as strong as expected, and not nearly as powerful as the chocolate taste in the chocolate stout.

Good beer, or maybe it just hit the spot. Either way, it's a good beer that I will buy again. (789 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste. (579 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the shop poured at home. Pours medium brown color, slightly clear, with a small white head. Smell is nutty hazelnuts, hint of chocolate. Dryer than expected, but very good hazelnut notes pairing well with the very light chocolate. Not particularly bold in the flavor, but not completely watered down. Finish lingers in a way that I don't like. A bit of a stale aftertaste. Overall a decent brown. (408 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

dark brown, almost opaque in color, with a thin tan head. Smells sweet & nutty. As advertised, you can pick out the hazelnut very easily. Not my favorite Brown Ale - I'd rather drink an Ellie's Brown. Overall though, not a bad beer for something a little different. (269 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

This brew poured a medium tan head with fine-small bubbles into my glass. It had fair lacing on the sides of my mug. The body was brown in color. This brew in my opinion has a coffee flavor to it which I enjoyed. There was no bitterness to this brew which is to my liking. It had a slightly sweet aftertaste to it that was not overwhelming to me. (346 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer, Raleigh, NC.

Our table was fairly evenly divided over this one -- either loved it or hated it. I gave it a robust "Good Lord!" upon first sip. It definitely drinks stronger than the 6.22% ABV that it is. Flirts with the possibility of being too sweet, but the folks at Rogue yet again pull off something that otherwise shouldn't really work. (371 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

983rd Review on BA
Draft to Pint
16 oz

@Yardhouse, Chino Hills, CA

App- A rich semi clear mahogany wood stain brown with a well poured two finger head that fell to a wonderful wall of cling and sticky lacing.

Smell- It has huge hazelnuts aromas on this one. Pretty much one-dimensional with a pretty watery malty note. A touch of vanilla

Taste- Just over the top hazelnut but wasn't balanced by a certain thickness. Had a watery malty flavor but additionally the soft vanilla carried out. It's flavorful but just too watery for me and thin.

Mouth- Light/medium body and light/medium carbonation level with some residual malts and some nutty hazelnut

Drink- Not my favorite offering from rogue but they do advertise the hazelnut and I appreciate that they actually delivered on that promise. Probably wont come back to this one, but oh well. (846 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

A. Dark amber appearance with a light tan two finger head that breaks quickly to leave a thin covering.

S. Smells of hazelnut and caramel malts. This doesn't really float my boat since the hazelnut reminds me a little bit of how vomit can smell.

T. Good thing it doesn't taste like vomit - I get mainly caramel malt and graham cracker. Leaves a prickly, lingering finish with the hazelnut really coming into focus.

M. Light to medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

O. A decent beer that was pretty easy to drink but nothing I need to revisit. (551 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a porter-like dark-brown from the bottle. A few fingers of nice tan foam and relatively good head retention as well. Smells quite sweet and malty, with nice smoky and nutty undertones. The flavor doesn't really live up to the aroma unfortunately. Starts off well enough; malty, nutty, smoky, and strangely refreshing. As the beer warms, however, it develops a sticky sweetness that begins to overpower the palate. The hops are essentially missing-in-action, so there's not much here to balance the sugars. Sticky and medium bodied in the mouth. (550 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured brown with a small brown head which dissipated rather quickly leaving a lingering collar.

Aroma of nuts, sweetness and malts.

Taste is quite sweet. Hazelnuts become quite prevalent. Malts and chocolate also present.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and smooth.

I found this to be OK, but too sweet. After one glass, I had enough. The sweetness was too much and the hazelnut became cloying. Not bad, but one was plenty. (434 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A vigorous pour yielded only a thin yet creamy and condensed tan head atop a cloudy deep amber brown body. The head thinned out even more to but a slight film. Aroma is malty, nutty and with noticable hops present and hints of coffee and chocolate. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a creaminess to it. Flavor is reminding me of Sam Smiths nutbrown yet definately more bitter. Finishes a tad dry. Overall would be better if less bitter in my opinion. (446 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a 22 oz. bomb, I got a very dark, amber color with a tan head that recedes rather quickly but laces well. I'm picking up malts and some nutty earthy tones in the smell. It tastes of nuts, caramel, toasty malts and there is a small bitter hop flavor at the end. Mouthfeel is decent, it is quite thick, about what I expected for the brown ale. Rogue has some better ones out there, but this isn't one to write off either. (426 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clean deep amber to brown in color with a small light tan head. In the aroma, sweet to dry nuttiness and a sweet malt. In the taste, sticky-sweet nuttiness and a sweet malt. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, sweet nuttiness in the aftertaste. Sticky sweet that can be a bit much when it gets warmer, but mostly enjoyable. (354 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I choose to approach this as a Brown Ale. The color is dark for the style. The head is beautifully irregular and retains adequately.
While there is nothing objectionable in the aromas or flavors, it does seem that that the ingredients of the beer stand out obtrusively. I take it as a cardinal rule of cooking, as well as brewing (or any art for that matter,) that if you can sense the conscious work of the producer, then they added too much. Call it "contrived." Bam! chocolate malt. Bam!, hazelnut extract. There is very little integration to this beer. No zen. No bliss. Nevertheless, for anyone craving overt stimulation, this is a sound beer, and entertaining. In a loud bar it might be completely appropriate. While it does nothing to hurt Rogue's deserved high reputation, it doesn't help either. (805 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales