Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,386 | Hads: 3,901
3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

I love hazelnut, so when I found this beer it immediately found it’s way into my cart. The bottle itself is a wonderful work of art. I popped the top and took a long inhale noting the nutty scent. My nose isn’t fully developed just yet so if I can pick something up then you know it is in there.

The pour was into an imperial pint glass. The splash down play between beer and head was mesmerizing. The beautiful red-brown color eventually won the game but the head was a thick creamy head. It lasted for ½ the beer and the nose from the head rounded out an overall taste of the beer. Periodically after that I added what was left in the bottle to give it a little more head.

A great sipping beer!

3.61/5  rDev -11.1%

Presentation: On tap, served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish brown, crystal clear. No head to speak of, just a ring of foam that fades to nothing.

Smell: Amazingly enough, very little smell at all, neutral.

Taste: Very creamy taste, almost milky. Nutty finish, no bitterness. A slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, as expected for a brown ale.

Drinkability: Yes, please, several more.

3.61/5  rDev -11.1%

Never one to believe the hype, I was more than ready to review this particular selection when I viewed with horror that there was only one sole HBN left. I sprung into action, and without a second thought I reached for the spot where the half-a-weisen was. Nowhere to be found. But in a simple twist of fate, the manager let me know that the Gumballhead was about to take its place. So one of those into the barrel as well.

One of the things that struck me about this beer and continues to do is its splendid appearance. It looked like something out of a beer-geek's cinematic dream. An ambient deep sepia with a black-and-tan effect in the glass. The yellow head was like whipped cream on a bed of cappucino. Upon pour and vigourous subsequent pour, I noticed the beer battling to stick to the glass as marbles down a slick slide. Nothing to cling to.

The nose is New England fudge and innocent waffs of alcohol amongst a sea of fluffy, emotive hop character.

Enough cannot be said for the delicate interplay between the so-close-to-adjuncty hazelnut flavoring, huge royal malt, and brilliantly intoxicating perle and saaz blend. I kept not being able to decide whether I hated the hazelnut essence or not; without it you've got a weirdly hopped unstriking brown ale. With it, the beer is sweet and walnutty. The yeast adds wisps of diacetyl but I never felt like I was drinking a liquid Werther's. The aftertaste is a bit on the diet-cola side. Any hop bitterness that surfaces is quickly subdued by the slightly swampy mouthfeel.

Wow. So much going on here ... i'll be back

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

650ml bottle @ $4.99. Been in the fridge for nearly 2 months, finally decided to break it out.

Nice frothy head with good retention, hazy, red(ish) brown.... good looking.

The smell of my mom's (God rest her soul) spice cabinet, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, ginger, all that blended together.

Wow...taste is almost like a straight shot of vanilla or almond extract..not too sure about this one. On the one hand I like it but on the other hand it's like something artificial going on and too much of it. Aftertaste, although not unpleasant, is not exactly pleasant.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

An intresting brew albeit one that sends me mixed messages, something seems unbalanced....However, the more I drink the better it gets...@ 6.2%ABV and 650ml, that would be expected.. 2 or 3 of these suckers and it could be the finest brew in the world. At least it isn't sicky sweet.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

22oz bottle purchased at Reservoir Wine and Spirits in Brighton. Poured into an Ommegang glass.

Pours a very pretty brown with supple but swiftly receding head. It smells nutty. The taste starts with chocolate malt, and finishes with a kick of hazlenut. It is not syrupy, but the hazlenut finish is a bit dominant for my liking.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bomber. Dark brown with ruby when held up to the light - looks like a red like this. Very little lace, small head- gone quickly.
Scent is heavily biscuit-like, somewhat nutty with a hint of hazelnut.
T- with hazelnut being added, I thought it would be more prominent and overpowering but it was nicely balance with all the rest: malty, caramel, nutty, coffee, maybe a touch of chocolate. The biscuit flavor is there as it is in the scent as well. A bit sweet but again surprisingly not too sweet.
M&O- pretty drinkable. Well balanced. Lightly carbonated. Flavorful.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a nice nutty brown into my pint glass. Aroma is sweet, sugar-glazed hazelnuts, with an over tone of the Saaz hops used.

Taste is that of a traditional brown ale (and an excellent one), with hazelnuts and a smooth chocolate. The chocolate seems sweetened (an odd example, but the closest thing I can think of is hot-chocolate mix).

The nuts come on more as an aftertaste after the crisp brown ale has worked it's wonders. For a flavored ale, and a dessert ale, this is wonderfully balanced. A little sweet, but that's the point.

The 650 ML bottle, with the sweetness can be a bit much by the end of the bottle. This would be excellent split between two romantically inclined people, perhaps served with cheesecake.

An excellent job here, as far as flavored ales go, and I look forward to trying Rogue/Morimoto's Soba Ale.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Pours a clear reddish brown color with a thin offwhite head. Okay retention and spotty lace.

S: Aroma is hazelnuts and roasted malts, gooey toffee and chocolate malt.

T: Taste of dark chocolate, almond, and obviously hazelnut. This beer definitely reminds me of an iced hazelnut coffee, maybe even a little mocha. A bit of fakness to the taste though.

M: Medium in body with great carbonation on draft.

D: Not bad. If not for the slightly off puting fake flavor it would call it good.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a deep brown with a hint of amber. Thick tan head and lots of lacing.

This beer smells like the name, Hazelnut. Some malt there, but pungently hazelnut.

The taste is like the smell with nothing standing up with the hazelnut flavor. Syrupy sweetness with some tannins in the finish reminding me of nut shells. The label says 33 IBUs, but I can't find it.

Thick and chewy beer, some decent carbonation.

Not too excited, but a good beer. Not my style, so this will probubly be my only one.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

I poured this into a pint glass.

A - Dark and slightly cloudy with a head about a finger thick. There was a lot of sediment in the bottle which I attempted to swirl out and pour into the glass. I got 2 small chunks of sediment which I removed, and there was still a decent amount of sediment stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

S - Malt was the immediate smell with some nutty aromas in the background.

T - Tasted as malty as it smelled. A nice, smooth nutty taste. The hops were present more in the aftertaste than while drinking.

M - Nothing too spectacular here, just nice and smooth mostly.

D - I could drink one or two. I really liked the taste but would prefer switching to another beer after a short while. I've had this from a keg before and 2 was my limit.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is dark brown; the tan head is well developed at first but fades quickly. While the scent is a bit muted, hazelnut is definitely noticeable. The taste is very nutty. Hazelnut is prominent, with a slight sweet and roasty malt flavor and a touch of floral hops bitterness. The mouthfeel is the weak point of this beer - it's quite thin and watery. I can see the strong nut flavor of this beer pairing well with desert.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom...

Very interesting, I must say!!! I expected different...but, here is my review :)

Upon pouring, it's a deep, dark color, yet somewhat transparent...a good brown ale for you...about a one finger off white head, with very little lacing..

The nose was very interesting! I could immediately smell cream...slight vanilla...yet the overall nose wasn't too much to talk about.

On the palate...Well lets see, cream, coffee, hints of 'burnt' nuts - quite odd, yet it all worked well in the finish. Not too malty. I could see how they labeled it 'hazelnut'.

Would I buy this again? Not sure... I would try it in the bottle, even though I have much love for taps :) Would I recommend it? Yes, due to it's oddness and creativity!

3.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A darker beer, light brown, some red in the light prism. Nuttyaroma, euro hop smell.

Nutty and malty, but not overly thickening. Thinner than the appearance. Kinda tastes like it has oats even though the ingredients say no such thing. Chocolate nuts. Very slight chocolate. A real malt bomb without being thick. Not for hopheads. Always pricey when it comes to these guys.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance – Dark ruby brown in color with a nice tan head.

Smell – The sharp hazelnuts lead the way along with a hint of chocolate and some solid, toasted malt.

Taste – The nut flavor comes out big in the tongue. The malt base is there as well along with some stiff, balancing hops (was there any doubt?). I was barely able to taste the chocolate cocoa powder that I picked up at the nose.

Mouthfeel – Flat and medium-bodied without a hint of alcohol.

Drinkability – This is a fair rendition of the style, although I thought the hazelnut could have been a little more subdued and the ale better balanced.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Wonder if I paid more to get this "Signature ale" anyway, this good looking bomber releases its contents smoothly into my tasting glass, seems prety highly carbonated with alot of bubles rising and sticking tot he side of the glass. Floats a LONG lasting medium tan, tiny bubble head, that eventually leaves a sh%t load of tiny bubble sticky sheeting. Nose of sweet malt, some slight soapyness and perhaps a metallic note..hmmmm, any way this one is smooth enough, notes of some caramel and nutyness in the finish, but I do pick up some funky off notes, more soap? Slightly off and a rip at $7.49...oh well, Rogue used to be one of my favs...

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Opaque, deep ruby in color with an aroma that is all nuts. The flavor had a little coffee aftertaste and slight malt, but they were way overpowered by the nuttiness. It was very smooth and full of flavor, and they certainly achieved the desired result of hazlenut, but it was too simple for me. More malt and less hazlenut might have made this a more balanced beer. Not a bad beer, just not one of my top choices.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar is one of the best brown ales I've ever had. It pours to produce a light tan head, with a cloudy and dark brown body. Thin lacing lasts a good while. Gives off a slight chocolaty aroma and tastes chocolaty, but with a vivid hazelnut sweetness.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a standard US pint glass.

Pours a dark. brownish copper with one finger of tan head which dissipates rapidly. If you didn't know what this was, you could easily mistake it for a cola. The nose is sweet, roasty, and malty, somewhat understated, but quite good for a brown ale.

The sweet malty taste dominates the flavor, until the very end, when the hazelnut comes on strong. The aftertaste is all hazelnut, somewhat bitter, but very good. I am a big hazelnut fan, and this is spot on.

The mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and full, but also well-carbonated. This is a pretty drinkable beer, assuming that you really like hazelnut. If you don't, well, then one glass will probably be your limit.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours clear reddish brown with thick head that dissipates quickly to 1/8" thick and eventually to a thin film. The smell is strong malt with a definite nutty overtone that comes across as an extract - so much so that I looked on the bottle ingredients and noted that they use almond extract. I feel that this is a little overwhelming both in smell and especially in flavor. The initial flavor is strong malt with notable hazelnut oil flavor. The malt is complex enough, but the nut flavor is a little over the top, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied with active carbonation. This is an interesting beer, but I prefer browns that are a little mellower and smoother. Rogue's is worth trying, but if I wanted a beer with this much flavor I would crack a different style altogether.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured out a chocolate brown, failry clear, with a thick creamy tan head. The nose was sweet, full of hazelnut, creamy, with some mild spicing. The taste was a little watered down for me, nice hazelnut flavor, kind of sweet, but not enough body or malt backing this guy up. Instead of being a nuance, the hazelnut was the main attraction here. A decent effort, but this needs to be bigger. The hazelnut is a bit too cloying for me.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Purchased at Cooper St. LCBO. Love the nice 650ml bottle.

A: a stiff pour into a pint glass yields a two finger head which disappears quickly. Looks average for a brown ale.

S: smell is much better when the head is still alive. If it is; expect a nice roasted hazelnut scent. very little hop presence. Certainly nothing to complain about here.

T: not as nutty as I was hoping. I was expecting this to be a more "amped up" version of a classic brown ale like Newcastle or Samuel Smiths. I cant help but notice its a little artificial tasting and metallic on the finish.

M: feels thin and sharp sticky as well.

D: Not one I'd reach for several times in a night.

-- I don't know if they re-formulated this beer for us Ontario LCBO customers - but this seems a little overrated. Samuel Smiths is much better and cheaper in my opinion.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured out a 22 oz. bomber.
A: Dark brown with a hint of reddish hues, rootbeerish in color. Tan head that dissipates very quickly-I'm dissappointed with the head retention even after a vigorous pour.
S: Hazelnut, roasted/burnt nut, chocolate and fig smell all on a canvas driven by malt. Also a hint of bread in the b-ground.
T: Paralleling the smell the taste is encircled around a backdrop of malt. Definate hazelnut, bitter chocolate and fig tastes up front with malt throughout and especially in finish-sweet and malty. Also flavors of bread poking around. Sweet malt throughout.
MF: A smooth, medium mouthfeel that sits and rolls off the tongue nicely.
Overall: A solid Rogue offering and a great after dinner beer. May be too malty "sweet" for consumption anytime but after dinner. Makes for a nice desert beer though and I enjoyed the infused hazelnut-in taste and aroma.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Strong nutty aroma, not as strong nut flavor. Taste did not jump out at me, and didn't linger either. A little higher carbonation than I prefer. Overall pretty decent though, and I would drink it again if offered. Probably won't be on my shopping list though.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

It's been nearly a week since I enjoyed this Rogue offering. I'll write as descriptively as possible, but don't expect many details.

I purchased the beer several weeks ago, but never got around to drinking it. It sat in my fridge since, until last Sunday afternoon, and I had a hankering for a brew. I drank this beer much too cold to get the best experience out of it.

Nothing over-powering in the aroma. Hints of sweet malt and hazelnut were the predominant qualities. Tastes, aside from being too cold, malty, with a slight hop bite in the back of the mouth. The hazelnut flavor was not as strong as expected, and not nearly as powerful as the chocolate taste in the chocolate stout.

Good beer, or maybe it just hit the spot. Either way, it's a good beer that I will buy again.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales