2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,898 | Reviews: 1,312 | Show All Ratings:
BB1313

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

This is truly one of my all time faves.. I wish I could give it a perfect score. The aroma is insanely good w/ it tasting as good as it smells. Tons of hazelnut and vanilla. I love smelling this beer, it's heaven. It does pour thin but the head is pretty. This isn't your traditional Brown Ale but it has the Rogue taste to it that I love! They definitely made this theirs. One of the most unique beers I've had. Recommended to anyone that likes good beer. It's really too bad they don't sell 6 packs of this gem.

Unique stuff, one of my all-time faves..

08-13-2009 05:16:45 | More by BB1313
JDerner88

4.86/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'll go ahead and say that first and foremost, I am a huge fan of Rogue Ales. Myself, and the bar I am employed at are members of Rogue Nation; not to mention I have Dead Guy tattooed on my leg.

That aside I have had the hazelnut brown nectar both in a bottle and on tap.

A- The ale pours out a deep transparent brown with a yellow cream head.

S- anyone without a cold can place their sniffer up to the bottle or the glass and get the pleasant aroma of hazelnut from this well crafted brew.

T- Easy drinking brown ale. This can be a one and done or an all night feast. Light in taste with a pleasing zing of hazelnut on the back end and smooth roast all the way through.

M- coats but doesn't linger on the pallet and is an easy transition either way.

Overall- This brew gets a majority of my recommendations for the in between drinkers.

02-22-2013 19:04:09 | More by JDerner88
corby112

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a nice chestnut brown with an almond colored head. Aroma is dominated by the hazelnut but also has a nice amount of maltiness and other nuts. This is one of the smoothest drinking beers that i've ever had. The sweetness of the hazelnut made me want to guzzle this beer down but I took my time as best as I could. There is a nice amount of maltiness and a slight hoppiness added to th wonderfull sweet hazelnut flavor. A slight watering down makes this beer not quite perfect. Otherwise, absoluelty delicious.

12-01-2008 08:18:59 | More by corby112
tyanow

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

A - Dark brown with a very small tan head that leaves a desirable amount of thin lacing.

S - Nutty chocolate dark malts.

T - This is a sweet and rich brew full of all those things I love in a nut brown: caramel, chocolate, and you guessed it nuts, especially hazelnuts!

M - A little syrupy, rich full body.

D - As delicious as this is, I find my intake limited by the sweetness and heaviness.

This is my very favorite brown ale of all time! It's like eating chocolate cake. I love to crack a bottle or 2 when I have guests over because it's always a crowd pleaser. Hops and heat from alcohol are almost undetectable even though this treat is 6.2%.

When you can get it on a good tap, do not pass it up.

Scrumptious!

07-22-2009 22:14:23 | More by tyanow
francisweizen

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer is one of the best brown ales...ever! This may even be as good as the infamous Samuel Smiths nut brown ale! This beer poured a light brown colour, with a nice, white head. The aromas were of hazelnut, and various malts. The taste was very sweet, alcoholic, and nutty. Excellent! This is almost like you put a shot or two of Ameretto in your favorite beer. The mouthfeel was a bit thick and the drinkability was not perfect, but this is one damn good nut brown ale!

Cheers!
-F

06-02-2003 13:06:56 | More by francisweizen
homersimpson

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Deep brown with a light reddish tint, light beige lace
Caramel malty and a hint of the nuttiness in the nose
Super chewy with a stickiness that lingers
Very malty with a nutty toffee flavor that jumps to your tongue. A light bit of spicy hop to keep it from being too sweet. Long, sweet toffee caramel nut finish.
Great beer, not hoppy like most Rogues, but almost perfect. always a favorite.

11-21-2003 04:55:39 | More by homersimpson
kasper

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Pours a semi-opaque dark chestnut brown with a massive foamy, frothy head that falls to a thin blanket relatively quickly. Leaves patches of lacing on the glass.

S: Awesome aroma of fresh chopped hazelnuts and mild coffee with some faint hops in the background. Overall, a creamy hazelnut aroma. This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had the pleasure sinking my nose into. I could just sit and smell this brew forever.

T: Taste is very much like the nose, but not as pronounced. Smooth, creamy and full hazelnut. Sweet up front, with just a slight zing of bittersweet hazelnut sugars on the semi-dry finish that explodes with even more hazelnut.

M: Smooth as a babies bottom. Medium bodied, but slightly creamy with mild carbonation. Tingling carbonation on the tip of the tongue with each swallow.

D: Sorry to harp on the word 'smooth, 'but this is one easy drinking, tasty brew. I could easily take down a bomber or two of these puppies. Among the best brews from Rogue, hands down. Right up their with the three stouts and double IPA (which freaking rocks on tap, btw).

05-11-2008 00:39:07 | More by kasper
xenolithic

Maryland

(from notes)

Pours a dark caramel brown with nearly no head into my pint glass. It has a little ruby lining on the edges when held up to the light, and the little head that there was recedes quite quickly.

The smell is malty, a little bit of nuttiness which I can pin to be hazelnut, though quite subtle.

Tastes malty on the tongue with a bit of nuttiness towards the end. Kind of what you might describe as biscuity. There isn't really any carbonation to be had. I also taste a little cold black coffee and a hint of chocolate.

The mouthfeel is oily, but not too much so.

The drinkability of this is superb, and the flavor is very rounded. There is little aftertaste left in the mouth, yet an urge to drink more.

03-29-2009 16:21:50 | More by xenolithic
JmOdrkrk

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

22 oz bomber refrigerator temperature. Standard pint glass.

A - beautiful brown color, very dark, nearly opaque. poured a light head that lingered for a bit, but did fade. no lacing.

s - rich nutty smell, almost chocolately. full bodied but not overpowering.

t - by far the best part. the rogue tasted like creamy hazelnut the whole way down, finishing clean. after taste was muted but still notably nutty.

m - incredibly smooth, no acidity with almost a creamy nature. this brown ale left no bite, making it easy to gulp down at a dangerous rate.

d - i could drink ten of these a night if my body would allow it. this is becoming a hands down favorite. dangerously smooth and rich.

07-28-2009 03:26:46 | More by JmOdrkrk
trumick

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from 20 oz bottle a deep clear amber with one finger head, which disapeared fairly quick.
The scent is amazing, chocolate, malt and nutty with a slight hint of coffee. Makes my mouth water in anticipation, very nice.
The taste is also outstanding, with the chocolate, nutty taste upfront. After the last sip, I can now taste the hazelnut that it has warmed a bit. WOW, this is even better now that it has warmed. It is sweet but well balanced. The hazelnut stays with you for a bit, but it does finish with some light hop flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination, also very nice.
The drinkability is very high. I could drink a lot of these in one sitting. Very palatable and easy to drink.
I am very glad I picked this beer to try. This is the best beer I have tried so far in my short time with the BA site. I will be sharing this experience with all the beer drinkers I know.

09-02-2004 02:55:42 | More by trumick
rtratzlaff

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer came to the table as a black beer with no head. The smell was nutty with a strong hazelnut scent. The taste was similar with a good malt backbone. The mouthfeel was pretty moderate and smooth. Of the nut brown beers, this is probably the best I've had. I've never been a fan of the style, but this beer may change my mind. Now if they could just sell this stuff in 12 oz. at cheaper prices.

07-02-2006 20:31:35 | More by rtratzlaff
Brianmerrilyn

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Enjoyed this as my 2nd pint at the Issiquah Brewery outside of Seattle, Rogue bought out a few years back.

A - Dirt style brown with handsome head, courtesy of bartender "Beer Ninja" pouring it for me.

S - sublte armoa of hazelnut which i prefer rather than being over powered before I taste.

T - complexity at it's finest. While I'm a bigfan of New Castle, this showed me how great a Brown Ale can be with addtions.

M - Slippery and succulent.

D - As easy as breathing in air.

09-13-2007 17:53:53 | More by Brianmerrilyn
Steaks

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

God this guy is delicous. I used to drink the hell out of some newcastle but once i discovered this kid i haven't had one since. Definitely my favorite brown ale i have ever had. It goes down smooth and fast. The only real problem is that they only sell 22-ounce bottles and not six-packs. Hopefully this will change in the future.

12-11-2007 10:11:32 | More by Steaks
unclejimbay

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
10/9/08, 1 pt 6oz bottle to a tapered bottom mug.
Reviewed as an "American Brown Ale - Dark Ale"
ABV=6.2%
A 4.0
Good Malty brown toasty color, mediocre 1 finger head, short head retention, mediocre lacing
S 4.5
Super nutty toasted malt smells, makes me feel like I am in a good bakery, hops are backseat but present
T 5.0
Roasted nutty/malt flavors, excellent smooth flavors but still complex, nutty sweetness well balanced with minor hop notes
MF 4.5 Medium+ on the body, semi slickness, malty on palate with nutty aftertaste
D 5.0
I tasted this with a buddy during a brew session and we both agreed on this as a 5.0. It's widely available always good and very unique. You have to try this one! A job well done by the folks @ Rogue! And thanks to CurtDoggYo! for the tasting sponsorship!

10-10-2008 20:44:22 | More by unclejimbay
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

The first thing you notice whether you're getting this on tap or pouring your own from a bomber is that huge smell. I grew up in a town with a lot of filbert (hazelnut) farms and this thing takes me back to my childhood with that aroma, nothing else permeates the smell. The mouthfeel is sticky and creamy and very sweet but not annoyingly so. This is the best brown ale I've ever had, and I am super craving one at this very second.

12-28-2008 07:53:56 | More by Wackyfoot
isualum12

Idaho

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Let me say from the beginning I LOVE THIS BEER...

I have had this beer from the bottle and tap. Currently my local neighborhood bar has it tap and I love them for it.

Pours dark brown in color. The color almost says flavor. The head is white creamy and heavy. The smell is chocolate with a little toasted almonds.

Flavor hits the toung like a rocket ship but with pure smoothness. The Hazlenut flavor rolls around hitting you with a little chocolate and suger and cinnamon covered nuts.

The best part about this beer is when you add other food flavors. I have always enjoyed this beer on it's own but then I addes some buffalo wings for dinner and this beer jumped to an increadiable level. I have now done that with a french dip sandwich as well. Try it you won't be disappointed.

03-16-2010 03:19:59 | More by isualum12
AUGRAD06

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Probably my second favorite brown ale. The hazelnut favor is very prominent both in the smell and on the pallet. It might be a little on the sweet side for some people, but it's a great brown. A nice honey flavor can also be detected. As always let it warm up a little from ice cold and it'll really blossom in flavor and smell. Love the mouthfeel also, a nice level of carbonation and a flavor that doesn't stay forever in your mouth.

01-13-2014 19:50:58 | More by AUGRAD06
Shovelbum

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

A thick light-tan head rests on a glowing reddish brown body. Good head retention and thick lace. Smells of light malts and toffee-like hazelnut. Taste is an interesting and well-executed variation on standard brown ales: sweet and savory combination of chocolate, malt and hazelnut. Mild hop-bitterness. The hazelnut seems to dominate but is not overwhelming. Body is light to medium. Mouthfeel is smooth with an extremely clean finish, making this a very drinkable beer.

This is a very complex, yet well-balanced American take on the brown ale. I wasn’t sure what I would think about the hazelnut character, as I’m not a fan of hazelnut coffees, but it complements the other flavors well and does not seem out of place here. Serious props to the fellas at Rogue for this one.

10-22-2005 15:39:34 | More by Shovelbum
Domingo

Colorado

Wow...just wow.
I thought I had tried this at some point, but I would've remembered how wonderful it is.
Pours a milk chocolate color that's a bit lighter than most, but still appetizing. A little bit of a white head forms with a normal pour to cap everything off.
The flavor and smells remind me a little of Nutella! Hazelnut and cocoa blend together with a strong malt base. Oh man that's good. Rogue sometimes hops things pretty heavily, but with this one they used the hops just enough to keep the flavor from being too sweet. The finish is clean, but not too dry. More please! The nice thing about the hazelnut flavor is that it tastes very real and it isn't overbearing.
I really wish this was in 6-packs because I just want more.
This is one of the best beers I've had in years and it might even be in my top 10 of all time.
This is a must have if you like brown ale and/or hazelnuts.

EDIT: On tap this is even better because of the silky texture. Not sure how common it is on draft, but the Yardhouse in Scottsdale, AZ had it.

02-01-2009 15:45:07 | More by Domingo
SolipsismalCat

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy medium-dark brown with nice bubbles. Two-finger off-white and creamy head that diminished slowly leaving very nice lacing.

S: Strong scent of toasted nuttiness. I can smell the hazelnut too. Very nice.

T: Just the right amount of sweetness and earthy hop bitterness to balance. No flaws that I can detect. An nice long finish that is very nutty and makes me want to drink more.

M: Light to medium body that is nice and creamy with soft carbonation. The body could be a bit fuller, but the feel is still very nice.

O: I really like this brown ale. The hazelnut is nice and subtle, not off-putting at all. It sets this one apart from other brown ales. One of my new favorites.

08-08-2011 01:09:13 | More by SolipsismalCat
Mounty4Life

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

Looks real brown semi cloudy with good lacing
A little toasty but definitely hints of hazelnut, something else I can't place...it could be pint glass is not up to par being are Carnivores enjoying this with lunch.
T/m one of most impressive I ever had...delicious hazelnut and malt finish with hops pleasing you right away...smooth and tasty just how a brown ale should be!
Just hit the top of my brown ales list!

03-13-2012 17:25:41 | More by Mounty4Life
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer is a hazy, muddy light brown. A frothy espresso head recedes to an uneven film while huge, sheets of lacing coat the glass.

The beer smells amazing. Stick your head in a pile of toffee, chocolate, and hazelnuts, and you might be close.

The beer tastes equally impressive: burnt toffee, caramel, chocolate covered pretzel, and the obvious hazelnut taste explosion. Really good, without being cloying or over the top.

A medium bodied mouthfeel with a nice clean finish, but it could be a dessert beer for sure.

Overall, I don't get all of the hatred for Rogue. Too pricey, yes. But this is just another awesome selection, and it held up to my expectations. I'm glad I didn't buy a sixer for $12 but the single for $2.79 was exceptional.

07-07-2012 18:42:13 | More by JuicesFlowing
Scoats

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

As you place the glass up to your mouth, even before your real first taste, the scent gets you and want to drink deeply and greedily. You do, but you stop yourself to enjoy the full taste of this beer. Wonderfully smooth and seductive, nutty, balanced, perfectly hopped.

12-03-2002 07:02:50 | More by Scoats
HoustonTX

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Hazlenut Brown Nectar - 22oz. bomber poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - Dark brown, the epitomy of a brown ale color. Just perfection in the shade of brown. Creamy off white head, with excellent carbonation streams raising to the top of the glass. Retention is great, and small lacing clings hang on for dear life.

S - Light eathy/nutty/grainy tones, touch of malt sweetness. (Malted milk balls come to mind) Balanced, sweet, and inviting.

T - Taste is incredibly complex for a Brown Ale, pure exuberance. Strong malty notes arrive upfront, and caress the palate. So many different types of sweet tones, but nothing over the top. Chocolate, toffee, and raw molasses. Hazlenut and lots of it. Sweet, yet delicate. Fresh hop notes balance the complexitys in heavenly fashion. Reducing the sweetness level, but not neutralizing it. Fades to a bitter/sweet with small notes of honey and vanilla. Divine.

M - 100% creamy on the palate. Wonderful.

Best Brown Ale thus far, definitely a divine nectar.

08-04-2006 18:33:00 | More by HoustonTX
ultralarry2006

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger head that quickly disappears, with not much retention, and not much lacing. Body is a clear dark garnet.

Smell - rich, strong aroma of malt bread, and stong aromas of chocolate and caramel. Mouthwatering.

Taste - very hearty taste of malt bread, chocolate, caramel, and hazelnuts. This is malty, chocolatey, caramelly, and nutty, and very rich and hearty. The hazelnuts are wonderful on the finish.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, and rather dry.

Drinkability - this is rich, hearty, and excellent, and it's very sessionable.

12-17-2006 16:14:09 | More by ultralarry2006