Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

This one just isn't doing it for me. After having two excellent beers from Rogue (Shakespeare stout and Dead Guy ale), this comes as a bit of a disappointment. The appearance is a very rich dark brown with no head at all. The smell has a very astringent quality to it mixed with the hazelnut extract. The flavor is of dark roasted malts, hazelnut coffee, and dark chocolate. The hops provide a nice dry aftertaste. Normally the flavors I've just described would have me foaming at the mouth, but the body of this beer is so thin, the roasted malt and coffee tastes seem more suitable for a porter or a stout.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

This is not really a sessions beer; it wants to be more of a long-lasting sipping beer. However I found it a little lacking in overall body and the nutty flavor left a slight aftertaste that became a little intolerable deep into the drink--almost wanted something else to wash it down with. But a fine different flavor while fresh and cold.

color: deep golden brown amber
light quickly dissipating head

smell: lightly of true hazelnut, not hoppy

taste: first off, very light hops and more malted warmth, with hazel nuttiness on the tongue; the hazel becomes more predominant on exhale and is a slight residual flavor in the back of mouth, a bit dry and bitter but true hazelnut flavored if you like that.

mouthfeel: a bit thin, though uncarbonated and drinkable

drinkability: I gave lowmarks for the residual slight aftertaste; a quaffer, not a sipper!

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Held to the light this beer is a deep crystal clear amber, but without light it is a hazy looking reddish brown looking treat. A nice thick creamy head forms but the lacing is lacking (the pint glass I poured it in was squeaky clean) and the head falls after not too much time.

I’m really just smelling hazelnut and perhaps a hint of coffee (I have to admit the only time I’ve smelled hazelnut was in coffee so it’ a bit hard for me to tell where one ends and the other begins). A strong swirl of the glass gives off the caramel malt and a touch of perhaps toast. This beer is rather lacking in aromas over all and the aromas there are very subtle in nature.

One of the things I like most about brown ales is that they have the ability to be extremely complex. By their very nature they bring out chocolate, coffee, toast, hints of hops, and essentially can take on nearly any flavor in the stout, porter, and ale world. This beer is a wonderful example of that. There is certainly a nutty flavor here, toast, caramel, light hints of chocolate, perhaps a bit bready, and a hop finish that never turns bitter (no idea how old this bottle is) but adds a certain citrus element to the finish. That said there’s nothing intense, assertive, or aggressive out of this one. A bit more flavor than is required for a brown, but hardly anything getting into the imperial world

The beer pours a nice head, but really could use some carbonation, badly! It is on the line between being thick or being a nice easy to drink beer and I don’t care for that line here. Either make it lighter or make it a touch imperial. The middle ground doesn’t really work for me.

I hate to say this again, but Rogue stop charging these prices for your beer or at least stop bottling everything in bombers! At 7 bucks a bottle I can’t see any reason to ever come back to this beer unless on tap. This is a good brown ale and certainly worth trying, but the price truly hurts it. Good but not great and not worth the money.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a nice reddish-brown, producing a nice foamy head. Very distinct teriyaki smell and taste. Just a hint of hazelnut. Mouthfeel is very smooth with no bite, but it is still a little thin for my tastes. Good spicyness. A little coffee-esque like most brown ales and stouts. I'll drink this again sometime. It might be better if it's a little colder.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

A- Pours a 1 finger head that is very light brown in color. Beer itself is a deep chestnut/brown color with hints a red. Leaves nice lacing

S- Deep smell of toasted nuts, hazelnut is definitely there, slight chocolate, but it is mostly a deep rich toasted nut smell that makes me feel like it is Fall.

T- The hazelnut is the first thing you taste and the laste thing that lingers. It is like the artificial crap in some coffee and/or creamers. Tastes too much like an fake extract to me and not "real" enough. You can taste some other toasted nuts, chocolate male, cinnamon, nutmeg, but the hazelnut just dominates the other flavors. Definitely gets better and more balanced as it warms but still nothing special.

M- Slightly thin but nice carbonation level

O- Not the most drinkable beer because the hazelnut taste gets old. Not executed as well as I feel it could have been, becvause I think the idea is great but too sweet and extracty for me. I love nut brown ales and hazelnut seems like a perferct addition or showcase but please tone down the extract to let the other flavors shine more. I think it would really help the beer out

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Beautiful amber, with shards of orange light illuminating the extremities of the glass. Massive ivory head, lively. Reminds me of Iron Bru.

S: Crickey, genuine roasted hazelnut flavour and nothing subtle about it.

T: Not complex, just generic brown ale with a domineering fresh hazlenut flavour and some caramel.

O: Yuck!!!! I feel mollycoddled by the overbearing hazelnut but if you like warming Christmassy flavours this is for you. Very sickly.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Morimoto Hazelnut Signature Ale

Served cellar temperature. Definately not one to chill.
Pours a coalish black(with that little gleam of red).
Off color foam fills about 3/4ths of a pint glass, but dissipates quicker then expected. The lacing is erratic, but spiderweb-like overall.

Very, very subdued coffee scent, butterscotch nips(damn me if it isn't), chocolate caramels, & obvious hazelnut. It just smells creamy.

A smokey, hazelnut(extract; ehh) taste, but there's a tad too much in the batch. A tiny twinge of spicy(not really bitter)hops at the beginning, but everything then desides to smooth out. The carbonation lingers even after it appears flat. I get brought back to drinking irish coffee with my pops when I have one of these. Very similar in feel. No abv on the bottle, but since the recipes are similar, 6% seems about right. The alcohol tingles every tip, but it runs parallel with everything else in the bottle. The bite is very evident at the very end of my glass.
A little syrupy & heavy, but still drinkable to a certain extent. Considerable amount of malt, but I don't know how much of that is just added sugar.

If they would of cut back on the extract, or maybe roasted some hazelnuts, maybe it would of came off with less of a candy taste. Extract aside, it's roaming somewhere around the rim of the top shelf. Not quite there, but a more then excellent addition to the dessert tray. All the women love it. It gets bonus points for that. Great for the price at just under $5 a bomber.

An over the top brown ale, but what do you expect. It's Morimoto dammit.

Ala cuisine!!!

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

22 oz. bottle of the Morimoto version...

Appearance: dark brown w/ a dark tan creamy clingy head, good lacing (as always with Rogue), great clarity, lots of clinging bubbles

Aroma: caramelly sweetness, slightly roasty, subtle nuttiness, a touch of woodsy hops, metallic twinge

Flavor: luscious maltiness balanced out with a restrained piney hop flavor and bitterness, slight tanginess, some coffee notes, the nutty hazelnut essence sort of hangs back in the palate, aftertaste verges on an acrid quality (without that, it would be a 4-4.5)

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, some astringency on teeth, pretty smooth

Overall Impression: If you read some of my other Rogue reviews, I was pretty disappointed by their lack of balance. But I've kept trying more of their beers because I they are a highly respected brewery. This is the third one I've found that I am happy with. Nicely balanced, tasty, unique. I can now safely say that Rogue is a capable, diverse, respectable brewery. Not all of their beers are hop-bombs.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

A: deep brown w reddish highlights. Perfectly clear. Nice tan head and lacing.
S: toffee/dark caramel, nuts, cocoa.
T: lightly sweet nutty malts overtaken by a nutty sourish twang. Somewhat astringent dry finish. Sourness faded some as it warmed.
M: nicely carbonated. A bit puckering. Light to medium body.
D: a little more sweet and a little less sour woulda done it for me. Lacked the malty richness I expected.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Pretty close to clear. Slight chill haze. Deep brown. Hints of dark red and lighter browns. Quite pretty. Head is a very light tan, thin, and drops to a tiny cap and collar. Spotty at best.

Smell: Pretty mellow. Loaded with a muted sweetness. Hazelnuts smell creamy and fresh and a little sweet. Touches of dark bread dough and caramel candy. Some citrus dusting. Has that distinct Rogue house yeast aroma that I can't quite describe. Very bready. Spread some hazelnut on a dark crusty loaf and you get this. Mild touches of alcohol Very clean.

Taste: A far more muted approach than the nose...if that's possible. Hazelnuts are loaded but in no way aggressive. Definitely bready with a pull of caramel sweetness. Some cracker dryness. Nutty. I can't help but think of dark brown bread. Deft use of hazelnuts. Avoids becoming sweet. Some minor hopping and of course, you can taste that Pacman yeast. It's distinct.

Mouthfeel: A little thin. Carbonation is moderate. Creamy and smooth as can be without being nitro or oatmeal. Very clean.

Overall: I was dreading drinking this beer. It's not worth dreading. It's a Rogue product and that means what you want it to mean. It's tasty, but not memorable.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

This one poured into the glass a deep brown color with ruby highlights. When it was backlit it appeared to be slightly hazed. The head was a short-lived tan foam that fell to the proverbial wispy cap. The lace was spotty, at best.
The smell was faintly Tootsie Roll, caramel, light spicy hops, and yes of course, a lightly hazelnut nuttiness.
The taste was interesting. The hazelnut added a powdery dryness and unusual texture. The Pacman hops did add a pleasant light bittering to the finish.
A fairly light body and the moderate carbonation give this a fairly thin, yet creamy mouthfeel.
I found this offering from Rogue to be what could be the most subtle of their beers that I have tried to date.
It is drinkable, but seems to lack direction. Had it been maltier or hoppier or even had a more pronounced hazelnut signature I would have enjoyed this one more. This was the first and only time I have been underwhelmed by a Rogue product.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours from the bomber a mahogany red-brown, mostly opaque and with a creamy light tan head. A little bit of sticky lacing. One of the better-looking brown ales I've seen. Smell is dominated by a musty smell of hazelnut and toast, with slight notes of bitter chocolates.

Again, I swear this beer is like breakfast! It tastes like toast with a rich, sweet hazelnut butter spread on it. The hazelnut & toasty flavors are freaking delicious, but they dominate this beer through and through. It becomes a bit one dimensional after a while. There is some detectable hop in the finish and a "musty" character, but that's it. A tasty brew, but falls a bit short in keeping my interest. It's very nice, thick & creamy in the mouth and hardly carbonated, which does some nice things with the flavor but carbonation could be bumped up.

Something about this beer just doesn't feel "complete" to me. I normally love hazelnut, but I think that it might be taking a bit too much away from this as a beer. Tasty--just an odd feeling that what I'm drinking needs a little extra kick of some sort.

EDIT: I'm bumping up the "smell" score. After a while of having the bomber out, slowly making my way through it, the room smells absolutely wonderful! That's a plus, for sure.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

If I didn't have any anticipation for this to be the best thing to ever grace my tastebuds, maybe I would be rating this higher. Unfortunately, I found myself sorely disappointed that this wasn't actually a Nutella-flavored beer at all, but rather middle-of-the-road brown ale with a hint of hazlenut flavor. Objectively (If it was still possible for me to think of it that way), it's still a quality brew that is worthy of trying. You just have to pretend that "hazlenut" and "nectar" aren't in the name of the beer.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

If you like 7-11 coffee bars, you will like this beer. It poured a nice dark brown with only a fairly thick white head. The lace disappeared soon after beginning to drink. The aroma was nearly nonexistant. Malt and hops were supposed to dominate the taste, but I only tasted the hazelnut. I was particularly surprised that the hop characteristics were not more evident. The mouthfeel was medium light and not really exceptional. I would drink this beer again but because of its unique flavor, I think I would limit my intake to one pint.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer arrived brown with rusty undertones, wearing a beige head with slight retention and lacing. The aroma consisted of caramel malt, hazelnut, vanilla, coco, and tobacco.

The flavor is nutty, predominantly hazelnut, as one would expect, with a trace of bright beery, sweet caramel malt, and a light dash of syrup.

The mouth is light to medium, a little bright on the front, dry semi-dry and nutty on the finish. It's drinkable, but after sampling it both on-tap and in the bottle, I doubt I will give it another taste. I think it was better overall in the bottle--better carbonation and complexity. But it failed to knock my socks off in either format. I would suggest looking elsewhere in the Rogue catalogue.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

A - pours dark brown with amber tints. little to no head retention
S - chocolate malt, hazelnut...a little like candy
T - sweet, hazlenut and chocolate much like the aroma. light hop flavor.
M - light carb, medium body
D - this is alright, no my cup of tea. The hazelnut is a bit sweet to me so I can't imagine drinking much of this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz into a snifter. Pours a clear ruby amber w/ a minimal head that dissipates quickly to a thin film, then disappears almost completely. Moderate carb rises from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma has a light roasty nuttiness I can't quite ID, must be the hazelnut. Not getting much, and this beer is not cold.

Taste has the same roasty hazelnut character as the nose. Some sweet caramelly malt blends with the slightly bitter roast, a hint of cinnamon. Dry bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but balanced. Maybe a little prickly.

Overall, I'm not really sure what to make of this one. If you're crazy about hazelnut, maybe this is your desert island beer. For me though, there's just not much here to latch onto. I almost feel like I got a bad bottle because this is just disappointing and... meh. It's not bad, I was just hoping for more.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Well here's an interesting one... It poured very dark with absolutely no smell and no head.

The mouthfeel was weak, and there was very little taste at first. I wondered why on earth it was called "hazelnut" when it tasted more like water. Then I swallowed it and *BAM!* Hazelnut hit me completely outta nowhere. Weird.

Definitely a good session beer.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Had this on-tap last night at Spike's. Served into a pint glass.

Appearance: Body is a deep, dark mahogany color with not a whole lot of visibility. Head is thin and white (or maybe off-white - room was poorly lit) and drags light lace.

Smell: Toasted malt is quickly eclipsed by large hazelnut aroma. Piney hops add a pleasant sting in the finish.

Taste: Loads and loads of sweet hazelnut, followed by pine, spice, and citrus. Hops provide for a clean, mildly bitter, ending. Definitely good, but hazelnut needs to be toned down in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, chewy, and clean-finishing. Carbonation is right where it needs to be. Really great, except the body is a tad syrupy and heavy.

Drinkability: Too much sweetness for me to call this one drinkable. On top of that, body is beefier than I'd like. This is a great beer to try, but I wanted to be done with it after half a pint.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a dark chestnut brown. Cafe au lait coloured head dissipates quickly which is disheartening.

S-rich roasted bread and caramel dominate with hints of roasted generic nuts

T-Seet caramel with roasted nut undertones. hop presence is minimal. There is maybe a hint of bitterness there. The sweet taste is pleasing though.

M-Medium bodied with a decent carbonation.

D-Overall this is tasty but not the best brown ale I have ever had. A tad more hops would be welcome

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Rogue in Portland, this is good but not great. It has a strong hazelnut character and not much else, so it's great if you're into beer that tastes like hazelnut candy but not if you're not. As for me, I'm not a big hazelnut-beer person, but that said, it has a firm, clean hazelnut quality. The biggest problem is that I think the hazelnut should be one element adding to a complex whole, yet here it is pretty much hazelnut with the other elements just barely able to show themselves.

Dark brown with some red hint, it has a thin tan ring.

Aroma is hazelnut with a toasty hint.

Taste is hazelnut up front, then joined by some sweetish toasty maltiness and light earthy bitterness to balance. It's balanced, neither too bitter nor too sweet, pretty drinkable, and the character is, as said, clean and firm. However, the hazelnut definitely dominates, and too much in my opinion, rendering it rather one-dimensional, so I doubt I'll actually buy it again. Hazelnut to me can be good in beer if it is a slight additional element adding to complexity of a beer that does not overall taste like hazelnut.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

No freshness date, bottle had some dust on sides, but not an unusual amount. poured into english pint glass

Appearance: head-very little head, off white, leaves slick of residue on top of a deep brown mahogany body with hints of red. A slow stream of light bubbles rises with virtually no activity on top. A small ring of head is present throughout the beer, but leaving no lacing.

Smell: Aromas of watery scotch (whisky), flowers and peat upfront eventually overpowered by nutty hazelnut; overall aroma is sweet.

Taste: Sweet roasted bready malt with hints of honey and dark fruit fads into intense hazelnut coffee with caramel creamer. There is an off flavor that presents the beer to be artificial and a bit like cough medicine.

Mouth: Thin and watery, lacking carbonation sticky like cough syrup; lacking any sufficient body.

Drinkability: At first I thought this would be a drain pourer, however the second sip was better. I will not be buying this beer anymore, however I enjoyed the experience. I love hazelnut however I think it is a bit misrepresented in the beer, almost artificial.

3.39/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Solid brown, small head that dissipates to paper thin quickly

S - some hints of coffee surprisingly.

T - green. too green. like a sugar water with a little tartness. No nutty taste, but again hints of coffee.

M - very nice, but takes a back seat to the disappointing taste.

Overall, I'm starting to think i must not like Brown Ales in general. I tasted the same gross "green" taste in BBC Nut Brown Ale, Newcastle is very average, and I can't remember having any others.

3.38/5  rDev -17%

This one is pretty strange. At first pour it looks amazing; deep reddish amber, small head, tight bubbles, great carbonation. Nose gets a little weird; biscuity, malty, and hazelnut... which doesn't seem to quite fit. Taste is very malty, syrupy sweet with hazelnut overtones. Sweetness lingers. Overall a nice effort, pretty much as expected.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales