Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,782 | Reviews: 1,406
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great hazelnut taste..No bitterness and very smooth

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very hazelnutty and smooth! Delicious.

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good Brown Ale. Not the best I've had. Mad Monk (defunct) out of Ohio was the best Nut Brown I've ever had. But very good...great head, good aroma, very good flavor. Definitely top 3 brown ales I've had.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the most interesting and delicious brown ales I have ever tasted.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This tastes like the coffee-I-drank-as-a-teenager-before-I-knew-how-to-drink-coffee, but also somehow tastes like a delicious brown ale. I'm conflicted. I loved drinking one. I'm certain, though, that anything more than one would have me gagging. Still, totally delicious in small doses.

Rogue?! Again?! What is with all the Rogue reviews already Doc? You and Rogue should get a room. Why thank you yes, anonymous reader, Rogue and I already have a room - my bedroom (which also contains my PC and acts as my extant study). Today’s Rogue (the Hazelnut Brown Nectar) I’ve had before and liked so much that I knew I would review next time I saw it - that time is upon us. My nonic pint glass sits silently on my kitchen bench awaiting the delightful nectar within the Rogue 355ml bottle *tch-tsk!* that was the sound of me opening the capped vessel *glub-glub-glub-glub* and there’s the pour... I <3 beer.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint, as we all know having read the above.

A: Hazed copper-caramel body with a half centimetre tan lace that stands up reasonably well... spot on American Brown Ale appearance. 8/10.

S: The advertised hazelnuts are cheeky in their audaciousness providing the full/nutty/earthy, and more importantly - hazelnut - tone that drives this brew. Aside from this some sweet caramel malts and brown bread round out this tasty treat of an aroma. 8/10.

T: Yes! All of the above notes: hazelnut, earthy, caramel and brown bread tones mingle like a party of happy drunk teenagers. The fact that each of these characters hit the senses with their own unique charm (sweet/sour/bitter) only broadens the appeal of this (almost) decadent American Brown Ale. Finish is mildly bitter with a dry hazelnut aftertaste. 8/10.

M: Medium bodied with a thin carbonation. It goes down well, this brew doesn’t need a great deal of carbonation to work. 8/10.

D: It’s hard to pass up this brew if you like hazelnuts, or American Brown Ales in general. This easy drinking beer has a welcome synergy between the harmonious flavours of hazelnut and the typical nuttiness of a Brown Ale. The one thing I was thinking whilst drinking this was how awesome it would be if you concentrated the flavours more, perhaps using fractional freezing that BrewDog and Eisbock are synonymous for, creating a “Hazelnut Brown Ice Nectar” - food for thought Rogue. As for regular non-ice Hazelnut Brown Nectar - this is one brew I will be getting again. 8/10.

Food match: Chicken Frangelico (as in the liqueur) with a creamy mushroom sauce and fettuccine pasta.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brilliant brown under a ½” white foam collar that dissipates to a thick film.
S: Big nutrella nose at first but it slowly calms down.
T: Nutrella up front that fades to nuts in general by the aftertaste.
F: Creamy medium body and carbonation.
O: This is an interesting beer but there was just a shade too much hazelnut that dominates the brown ale flavors.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar brewed by Rogue Ales, with an ABV of 6.20% This ale pours out a light brown color with a nice off white head. The smell is rich with flavors, you pick up on sweetness of hazelnuts, grains , and malts. You also pick up a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste it rich , with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew, you pick up on the malts and grains. The aftertaste is a smooth hazelnut flavor. Hazelnut Brown Nectar has a real nice balance to it , there is nothing overpowering about this brew. You really don't pick up on the 6.20% ABV of this brew. The mouthfeel is bold , rich, full bodied , and refreshing. Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a smooth drinking brew, Rogue Ales did a nice job with one, I would buy this brew again. Overall I'm giving Hazelnut Brown Nectar a 4.5 out 5.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Very bland flavor but a nice pour and smell

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Hmmmmm. Every time I drink this beer I find myself wondering if it just might be the perfect beer. It's not my favorite beer, but it's essentially perfect in every way. It's not too sweet, it's not too bitter, it's not too light, it's not too dark, it's not too thin, it's not too thick, it's not too weak, and it's not too strong. I think anyone who likes beer would enjoy this one. It's not a stand out beer, but in almost every way, it's just right. Let's just call it the Goldilocks beer. A rock solid brown ale.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

I can't help but compare this ale to a hazlenut stout I recently had that was much better in all respects. This beer had a decent smell and taste of hazlenut but it soon becomes tedious to drink. The consistency just feels wrong since the thinness does little to back up the hazlenut flavor. I realize that a brown ale is supposed to be thinner than a stout but this beer just doesn't work with a thin body. Try J Wakefield Hazlenut Imperial Stout if you want a great beer with hazlenuts.

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding. Pours a deep brown with light head. Smells a lovely malty with hazelnuts. Taste a perfect balance of mild bitter nuts and sweet brown sugar. An excellent beer.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the most deliciously drinkable beers around. The sweetness isn't overpowering; overall, a wonderful respite from the usual west coast IPAs.

Luckily for me I found Rogue about 15 years ago.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big hazelnut and banana bread smell taste as you were drinking a thin hazelnut coffee very good

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too hazelnut forward and watery on the down swing. A little too sweet as well. Just not to my liking as much as it is to the rest of the bell curve.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very nutty and smooth. Very good brew!

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium dark beer with easy drinkability but has a bit of a sweet tone to it

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

More hazelnutty than expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, just unlike anything I've ever tried before! Light feeling and very drinkable. Definitely a dessert beer.

Unbelievable brown ale, achieves things in its class no other brown is trying...my all time favorite in the category. If you appreciate the flavor profile, it won't disappoint!

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Something tastes like vanilla extract towards the end. A tad too sweet and could use a little more carbonation. Now that I'm done nitpicking have to say this is a great beer. I think most beer lovers of any style could appreciate this one. You could drink this year round. At $14 for a six pack it's pretty steep but I'll definately be buying this again. Easily one of my favorite beers now.

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazelnuts? Where? Other than that, it's just an okay Brown Ale. Wouldn't bang again!

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice nutty smell but the body is weak and the flavor fades fast

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle of hazelnut nectar drank.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%

Like breakfast in the night. Epic

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales