Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,381 | Hads: 3,863
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Do your like hazelnut iced coffee? You will like this beer then. Had it on tap at the B. Brown smooth rich and creamy. These unique beers really blow my mind. Its really showing off in a good way and I love it. To brew a beer that tastes like an iced coffee is pretty cool. Skillz... so bold and tasty. For what the brewer is trying to accomplish, I really can't imagine better results. I still have yet to have a Rogue beer I did not enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a thick frothy light tan head that slowly fades. The aroma is exceptional. It has a nice malty core littered with dark cystal and chocolate malts as well as a wonderful hazelnut aroma. The taste is good. It has a smooth brown ale flavor with a darker malt feel. It has a creamy nut finish that is quite tastey. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine brown ale. It has tremendous flavor and aroma; a good sessions brew.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Mmm hazelnuts. That is what this beer is all about. If you like hazelnuts, you should like this. Expert craftsmanship by Rogue follows in the beer overall. Buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Hmmmmm. Every time I drink this beer I find myself wondering if it just might be the perfect beer. It's not my favorite beer, but it's essentially perfect in every way. It's not too sweet, it's not too bitter, it's not too light, it's not too dark, it's not too thin, it's not too thick, it's not too weak, and it's not too strong. I think anyone who likes beer would enjoy this one. It's not a stand out beer, but in almost every way, it's just right. Let's just call it the Goldilocks beer. A rock solid brown ale.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Nice smooth beer. Tastes well...refreshing. I would feel pretty good about giving this to my friends at a party. It's not the best beer but will holds its ground.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This combines two of my favorite things, hazelnuts and brown ale. Very excited to review this as I remember LOVING this beer when I had it the past few times.

A - Medium brown colored with a nice fluffy light brown head.

S - Nutty with butterscotch as well. Hints of chocolate and malt. Some vanilla as well.

T - Oh my. Nice vanilla/butterscotch flavor up front that rides out with a toasted malt flavor. Nutty and rich. Malty at first and seems to thin out flavorwise as it finishes. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Absolutely FANTASTIC!

M - Creamy mouthfeel and lightly carbonated.

D - What a treat this is. Rogue needs to release it in six packs, it is definitely sessionable. However having a big bottle once in a while really makes me appreciate it.

This is by far my favorite brown ale. I can assure you that you have not had a brown quite like this. Very unique and special. I can't think of one bad aspect about this one. It stands out from the other Rogue big beers to me, along with the Chocolate Stout. SOLID. I also really like the label, mine has the guy raising his fist as if to say "Hell yes" unlike the one shown here. One of my favorite Rogue labels.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Let me start off saying that is by far the best brown I have had hands down. Poured out very brown, almost like a wood stain of some kind, little head that tried to hold on till the end but left some lacing. Right off, the smell sucked me in, it was very sweet, nutty, chocolate, coffee and some malt. You can definitively tell there is hazelnut in there...the first sip was astonishing. Sweet, but not too much, lots of hazelnut with some chocolate and coffee. The thing that made this beer stand out is that it was paired with a final bitterness that didn't cover up the sweetness. But rather complimented it just enough so you knew you weren't drinking an iced mocha morning shit, but a BEER! I wouldn't go as far to say it was a dessert beer, but it definitively is a treat.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a pretty dark amber brown with an ample quick dissapating head.
It smells of hazelnut and roasted malt; VERY enticing!
This Nut Brown Ale is super drinkable, smooth and creamy. I taste some coffee among the subtle hazelnut. There is no sign of 6.5% ABV at all. The aftertaste is very pleasing making you want to dive right back into the next gulp.
The drinkability of this beer will make me a repeat buyer of this beer, highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

If you love hazelnut coffee, you will love this. Actually, if you love good beer, you will love this Brown Ale. A nice dark color to it, which is blood red when you hold it up to light. Smell is of hazelnut and malt. Still can't believe how good this was. I don't want to say too much, you just need to go out and try it. My ratings say it all.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This brew pours a medium brown with a nice head that stays. Lacing is good as well.

The nose is (of course) hazlenuts with flowery and sweet hints. Its taste is mostly of hazlenut with coffee on the finish.

The mouthfeel is light to medium with good carbonation. Although my bottle may have been too warm, since it had not been refrigerated, drinkability is high. Even for someone from Mississippi [grin], the alcohol level was not noticeable, and the taste left me wanting more.

I'll definitely be revisiting this beer (hopefully whilst it is a bit chilled).

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Sampling right now on 1/15/15. Comes in a single 22 ounce (650ml( bottle with a nice painted on label (not a decal sticker) for around $6.00. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 1L thumb-print handled glass stein.

Pours a hazy deep mahogany in color with a good 1-2 finger foamy head that finally settles down to a 2mm or so layer. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped that leaves some small 'circle' spots that stick to the glass. The aroma is of roasted malts, hazelnuts with some brown sugar. Bit more going on with the taste as the hazelnuts and malts are right up front with the sip followed by some light caramel malts. Lots of flavor and goes down easy.. A very tasty brew with lots of great flavor. medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Great job Rogue!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This brew was poured from a 22 oz bottle into a glass mug; it gave a deep copper color and displayed a deep burgundy through the glass. Its head was large and lingering, but the lacing left only traces.
The smell was pleasant but understated, mostly malt with some nutty tinges and mild oak.
The taste is delicious – creamy malt and nut.
A mouthful is light and unobtrusive, a little thin and easy to drink.
Overall this is a gem, moving up my list of favorites. It is a tad thin and unassuming, but is so damn flavorful and satisfying that it is a pleasure to drink. Give me another barkeep.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Leftover bottle from NHC award banquet. Pours clear brownish amber with nice head & foam that clings to glass. Smells & tastes of hazelnut. That much is nailed. Tastes has add'l sweet malt character. Very nutty with even bitterness. Feels about light to medium. Overall, an excellent spice, or whatever, kind of beer you classify this. Great tasting and well balanced all around.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

This was tasted in a pint glass from the 650mL Bottle.

It pours a dark amber brownish color hue with a decent head that hold fairly well but does not lace very well. It smells wonderfully nutty and sweet. It almost smells like hazelnut coffee. It tastes a hint of peanutbutter but roasted hazelnut malts dominate the overall flavor. It holds decently in one's mouth but it could be a little more forceful. Overall It another great brew from Rogue.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a deep brown, more opaque than I expected. Hazelnut smell is quite strong, not too overpowering for a beer that I'd only have one in a sitting.

Taste is pretty good, a little bit of a chocolate flavor that reminds me of the Toffifay candies that I had as a kid. Could very well be a "dessert beer" if there is such a thing.

One 22oz is enough for this one though, good flavor, glad I tasted it, not something I would drink on a regular basis.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

I must admit I am a fan of sweet American Brown Ales. So this is a preferred style of mine. This beer was very decent and no disappointment. Hazelnut Brown Nectar is the right name! It is divinely smooth and has such a gentle nut attribute.

Appearance: Pours a dark honey brown color with a small head that fades fast. Very nice thick lacing but only when encouraged with a little swirl, not very sticky.

Smell: Hazelnut chocolate and caramel aromas fill the nose along with the heavenly brown sugar and slightly toasted malts. mmm.

Taste: Starts off very creamy and malty with lots of brown sugar, toasted malts a hint of chocolatyness and some nut flavors. This is a *very* approachable beer! There is a slight gentle hop presence that presents itself as a bit of a spicy attribute (may also be aided by the well masked 6.20% ABV) but it is plenty tame and reserved it serves to balance out the beer and keep the sweetness from becoming cloying. This beer is definitely one to finish the night with. It is a desert beer by all means.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full in the mouth and still quite slick. It is extremely relaxed and smooth in the mouth leaving only a slight tingle of alcohol and hops reminding the palate that it was once there.

Drinkability: I have a huge sweet tooth and this *really* hits the spot for me. This has become a new regular on my rotation. I would not consider this sessionable (too sweet) but I still maintain the drinkability is excellent. One bomber went down so easily and certainly left me wanting!

Hope this is helpful.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Ah yet another Rogue to try and love. I will not I got this beer after they sampled it at the shop my wife works at and it was still good by the time it made it home to me, open for at least an hour.

While it is widely claimed and believe that this is just a repackaged version of the Hazelnut Nectar I do not believe it is. I think the basic formula is the same, however there are evident differences.

Poured a hazelnut brown color with a slight amber hue. The pour created a decent off-white head for being open for a while. The lacing was not great, but hard to really judge.

The aromas were still very much alive. Scents of hazelnut, malt, and chocolate in the beginning. More chocolate than nut aroma then you see in the Nectar. There is a subtle hint of hops, but faint.

The body is fuller than the Hazelnut, but just as smooth if not smoother. The taste starts with a bit of chocolate, malt, and hazelnut with hints of caramel that finishes with very subtle hops and a little touch of alcohol.

This is a wonderfully smooth beer and is a bit nicer IMHO than the Hazelnut Nectar, but I hope that is still offered. They different in taste and smell even if the ingredients are the same. Both great.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice nut brown color with a tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnuts in it. I was floored by the hazelnut and roasted malty combination. Slight maple syrup flavor as well. all of this is ballanced with some nice noble hops. I had given up on brown ales as being to boring, but now I an prompted to go out an brew one for myself.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 650mL bomber into an imperial pint glass. The beer is, at first glance, brown, but when held to light it is brilliantly red and clear. The color is strangely appealing. The head is tan, and had somewhat poor retention.

Smell: Lovely malty aroma of toffee and roasted malt. caramel backbone holds up the beer while an oh-so-subtle balancing hop slightly rounds things out. Great aroma.

Taste: Chocolatey at first, and then fading into a beautiful array of assorted malts including a caramel note and cafe de leche, along with a very nice roasted not with a somewhat smoky character. Hazelnut is also evident in the finish with just a slight kiss to the tastebuds to let you know it's there. the hazelnut is not a big, in your face flavor, but just enough to add a nice unique character to this already satisfying beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: A bit more watery than I was expecting, and not a strong point of this beer. Drinkability is very high - not overpowering, but at the same time very complex and flavorful.

Definitely recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

It has been a while since I first rated this. I was worried that I overrated it since it was one of my first reviews. Having come back to it now I realize it truly is a great beer.

Drinkability - The first one is very enjoyable. A great starter for the night, maybe have two. Personally however, this is not the type of beer I could drink in a session.

Appearance - Dark brown with smooth carbonation, head is thin but holds retention. Rich apprearance.

Smell - Sweet, caramel-chocolate roasted nutty. Very pleasant and one of the nicest aromas I've experienced so far.

Taste - similar to what you smell. Delicious like a light chocolate hazelnut milkshake yet representative of the style. Hazelnut is not overpowering. Light bitterness in the finish

Mouthfeel - Although rich in flavour the beer is light and feels thin / watery & smooth. Lightly carbonated.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Found this beer in a convience store in Morgantown, WV. I had been wanting to try this and I was very excited.

Presentation - poured from a 22 oz. bottle, very dark brown color, thin head that disapates quickly.

Smell - medium malt smell, strong caramel aroma, with a hint of chocolate

Taste - Excellent. malty taste at first, followed by a caramel and chocolate taste and has a good nutty finish. Not at all bitter and is somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, full bodied

Drinkability - Definately, though this is not something I would want to drink all night as it is fairly heavy, but I could definately sit down and easily finish a six pack.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Beautiful dark brown amber color. Looks very high quality, amazing clarity. Solid 3 finger light tan, khaki head with nice tight tiny bubbles, nice and foamy, great lacing, but the head retention is little more than average.

S: Smells nutty, sweet, roasty, roasted malts, notes of hops, a hint of floral citrus, and of course hazelnut. Aroma is a tough on the light side, but you can definitely smell it without too much trouble. Delish!

T: Starts off almost dry and citrusy, with a bit of hops, earthy and bready on the mid palate, finishes with a decadent roasted nutty hazelnut, lightly sweet, and outstanding roasted malts and oats, chocolate, coffee, and dries up just a bit. Could use a bit more hazelnut for a hazelnut beer, but it tastes outstanding nonetheless.

M: Just the perfect amount of carbonation, nice and full bodied, chewy and sticks to the mouth, not sticky, but leaves a perfect coating. I couldn't ask for more in this department.

O: This is excellent. I like Rogue a lot. I wouldn't say this beats their Chocolate Stout in my opinion, but this is a very solid and tasty beer, amazing quality and it's been a wonderful experience to try this for the first time. I will buy this again and I will be recommending this beer with pleasure.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

as my profile shows - i am a wit/wheat kinda chic
i enjoyed drinking this on tap at the great Barcade in Brooklyn

new years eve - the great divide st. bridget let me the way to try some stouts & browns...

The hazelnut comes with a dark brown color w/ a smallish head

i thought this was going to be a very sweet beer - but wasnt too sweet.
will definitely have this one again

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

650ml bottle poured into a 20oz nonic.

A - Pours a deep and hazy amber-brown color with a frothy tan head. The head thins out, but retains quite well, and stays as a thick cap throughout. Minimal lacing.

S - The nutty aroma here is incredible. Delicious hazelnut presence is dominant with traces or toasty caramel malt, cocoa powder, and sweet brown sugar. The nutty aroma here does not disappoint; really fantastic.

T - And it continues. Piles of nutty goodness, but the hazelnut is the most dominant. Really toasty caramel malt, maybe even slightly roasted. Cocoa presence is big as well, and gives it an excellent chocolatey feel. This is just a delicious malty treat filled with tons of sweet nutty flavors.

M - Medium bodied, but impossibly smooth. The carbonation is incredibly fine. This stuff just glides over the palate. Just a remarkably smooth feel overall.

D - My first Rogue beer, and this thing did NOT disappoint. It was just an assault of unrelenting malty goodness. I'll admit, brown ales are far from my preferred style, but this exceeded all expectations and then some. A truly great beer from Rogue, and one I'll be having many more times.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a deep ruby with decent off-white head which laced well. The aroma is dry, and somewhat spicy beneath the delectable layers of hazelnut.

Flavour has a nice nutty bite, with a pleasant alcoholic oakiness and a lashing of milk chocolate. Realistically, though, its all about the hazelnut. It dominates the roof of the mouth like a coating of nutella, and lingers pleasantly in the dry nutty finish. The mouthfeel is well-suited, staying reasonably light to avoid any nasty sweet stickiness, and holding off the carbonation to produce a lovely smooth feel.

Hazelnut has always been one of my favourite sweeter flavours, so there was never any doubt that this would be a winner for me. Rogue do carry it off with aplomb though. They have made sure that this is not simply a one-dimensional beer, and they have crafted a mouthfeel that is excellently suited to the flavours that they're serving up. This is perhaps an ideal follow-up to a savoury dinner, although it is good enough to stand on its own. Another winner.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales