Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,385 | Hads: 3,897
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Brown with just a hint of red. Monsterous 3 finger tan head which left plenty of foamy lacing.

S - Like a creme brule or a hazelnut toffee. Deep but not powerful.

T - Covered in hazelnut and coffee. A hint of chocolate but not overbearing. Almost buttery in its sweetness but not sweet.

M - Very very balanced. Just a hint of carbonation and not too heavy while still being bold.

D - Its medium sweet and not over carbonated. I would call this a great evening beer but not quite a session beer unless you are really into browns. A little sweet for that perhaps.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This is an excellent beer. Rich coffeeish flavors with the nice hazelnut hints make it one of the best dessert beers I've ever had. This beer also has less hop presence than the typical Rogue brew, but I don't think a lot of hops would match the rest of the flavor in this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you like hazelnut coffe, or happen to like hazelnuts in general, this is your beer. It has a very clean looking appearance, medium brown color with a sweet and flavorful head. It is very nutty, the hazelnut flavor doesn't start or finish the beer, it is the beer. A very sweet beer, if that 's not your thing look elsewhere. Not bitter at any point, smooth, nutty & sweet throughout. This is an amazing beer, could have one with your oatmeal or your pork chops. Delicious.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I usually review on the spot and I did but my review was deleted. I'm going to go by memory this time around.

Look: Ruby Raspberry and a khaki head.

Smell: Hazelnut upfront and some oats.

Taste: Totally blew me away! Sweet hazelnut, honey, toffee and I'm thinking some oatmeal. They mentioned chocolate in the ingredients but more of a milk chocolate stout flavor. I did not expect this delicious taste from what I smelled. Hands down one of the best by Rogue and best tasting beer I've had in a while.

Mouth Feel: Medium in body. Not a whole lot of carbonation. Felt great in the mouth and going down. Left the mouth feeling a little dry at the end.

Drink Ability: I could drink this all night. Not filling. Delicious tasting. No booze taste at all. I wish I bought another one so I could drink some more now.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I forgot how good this brew was on draft until today..
Poured a dark, rich brown with a very thin off white head. Nose is malty, nutty nose with hints of chocolate. Hazelnut upfront and then some maple notes. Mouthfeel was very thick. Excellent brew and so smooth. I love it.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

I'm not a big fan of American brown ales, they're usually kind of dull.

And then there's Rogue.

Pours very dark, intense ruby brown, nearly opaque. Very nice, tight two-finger head.

Smells like brown sugar and hops. A roasted hazlenut sweetness mingles with chocolate malt. Very nice.

Complex and delicious! Robust coffee beans upfront make way for a split second of Rogue hops, falling into an incredible bittersweet hazlenut aftertaste. This is better than coffee mate. Lingering aftertaste of sweetness and coffee. Wonderful.

It's got one of the nicest bodies I've ever felt on a beer, too. Creamy and smooth, much like a coffee with a helluva lot of creamer in it. Only tastier.

Such complexity. Such balance. This beer is truly one of the kings of its style.

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%

"Move over Frangelico! Now there's something meatier!"

After the middle-dark ages of the fruity-fruit beers, you would think a concoction like this was just another '80s anachronism sitting on the shelf. But ohhhh no! This beer, to me, defines what the next great era of beer will be--pure, self-determined, democratic, entrepreneurial, take-no-prisoners, kick-in-the-balls, "take-that-you-macro-swilling-skug" beer.

It's hard to even begin describing what a beer like this has forgotten. Thick and seductive like a rare doppelbock, but creamy, sweet, puffy, and wet, like a ......... nevermind, you get the picture!

How many decimal places to the right did Yon Brewmeister nail the precise hazelnut component? How many a pedestrian brewer would have f**ked-up such an ingredient? But Rogue man wields like an alchemist extraordinnaire!!!!!!!

I really don't know what I'm tasting, except pure heaven!

"Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good Brown Ale. Not the best I've had. Mad Monk (defunct) out of Ohio was the best Nut Brown I've ever had. But very good...great head, good aroma, very good flavor. Definitely top 3 brown ales I've had.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 650ml bottle with no dating info into a pint glass. It was a deep reddish brown color. It had a small head that quickly dissipated. I've had this several times before and usually has a more robust head so this one may be off slightly. The aroma was awesome - malty with a great hazelnut front. Gets your mouth watering right away. The taste is perfect. The hazelnut adds the right amount of flavor and sweetness without being cloying. I imagine without the hazelnut this would still be an awesome beer. The mouthfeel was nice and solid. Overall this is one of my favorite beers and I end up being it quite often. Highly recommend. (Heavy rotation)

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Rogue Brewing "Hazelnut Brown Nectar" @ 6.2% (Originally tasted from a cask at GCBF/11)now from a 650 ml bottle served cold into a stein
A-poured a hazy mahogany with red hues , frothy khaki head , lots of creamy lacing
S-toasted malts , sweet aroma of hazelnuts and some fruit
T-roasted malt upfront with a whole lotta hazelnutty sweetness , quickly followed by a spicy hop moving the balance of the beer nicely onward
MF-smooth and creamy , medium to thick bodied , moderate carbonation
Ov-Oh yeah , damn fine beer , very tasty , hard to find , highly recomended for a brown ale !!

Cheers LampertLand

4.67/5  rDev +15%

I was very pleasantly surprised when I first had this brew from a bottle, so I jumped at the chance to try it on tap. Served in a tumbler pint, the beer pours an amber-caramel coloring with a low profile, filmy, small bubbled head that clings to the edge of the surface. The nose is just as amazing as I remember it being in the bottle, with a creamy, buttery blend of rich hazelnut, caramel, and an overall roasted quality. Flavors are a light, smooth blend of Nutella and a biscuity backbone. It almost tastes like caramel popcorn soaked in a hazelnut blended coffee. Super smooth flavors that remain light, and the crisp body make this a ridiculously easy drinker. The aftertaste is nutty and sweet, with a sugary kiss at the very end. The finish is subtly sweet, with a sugary and rich hazelnut linger that entices the palate to continue drinking. This is a tremendous beer, and one of the better Browns I've ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

purse a beautiful dark brown color with an equally good looking head. really looks good. smell is very unique, strong hazelnut dominates everything else, but has a small cocoa aroma to it. taste is really really good, i mean good. has an earthy taste to it, just rally damn good. easy to drink, im going to be buying more of these

Glass used: Guinness pint glass

Dark brown color with a light fluffy head.

Nose is mostly dominated by hazelnut.

This beer has an amazing hazelnut flavor with caramel notes through out and a really satisfying chocolate finish. My favorite brown ale.

Nice medium mouth feel with a smooth soft carbonation.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a lovely reddish brown colour with a filmy but sticky head of off-white. Excellent lacing. Clarity is great - a great looking beer all up.

Wow, a phenomenal sweet and rich nose of butterscotch, toffee and roasted sugar coated almonds. Deeper notes of milk chocolate and rye bread. Really good. Not the nasty diacetyl butterscotch you get in pale ales sometimes. This is all intentional and all phenomenal. What a nose!

Buttery sweet and smooth, just phenomenally delicious and tasty. Creamy mouthfeel, light, but with a wonderful slickness. Starts with a light roasted grain note, which just starts layering with sweetness after sweetenss until you have a wonderful sweet anarchy of Wonkaesque proportions. Rambunctious and happy - delicious.

A truly excellent, delicious and uniquely fun beer. Drinkable as long as you can cope with the insane sweetness.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A- Dark brown caramel color with a finger's worth of tan fizzy head that settles quickly to a ring.

S- Bold, smooth, nutty and sticky sweet. MMMmmm.

T- A-mazing. This is so great tasting. Full, rich, caramel, chocolate, hazelnut, malts. Starts out thick and sweet and ends malty. Well-balanced.

M- Thick, creamy, and great.

D- Awesome. Drink it as much as you can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark copper brown, bubbly tan head, retention is medium, leaves a nice lacing over the top of the beer.

Smell: Hazelnut sweetness very clear, some toasty maltiness, hops are not present, or alcohol, just light and toasty and hazelnut sweet.

Taste: Caramel malt upfront, a little espresso acidity and lemon citrus, then it opens up into a big hazenut extract sweetness, a very light peppery hoppiness quickly fades.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is light and fizzy throughout giving the beer a crispness, but the rest is creamy, very smooth.

Drinkability: Awesome brown ale, it's a top notch ABA with a hazelnut sweetness that is just delicious. After work, with a sugar cookie, it was amazing.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a deep, dark leathery brown with sligh riddish hues. The pour produced a thick head of tannish foam that quickly subsided into a thin bubbly foam.

S - Smelled sweet and malty. definite nutty aroma with hints of graham cracker and almond chocolate biscotti.

T - Malty and buttery upfront followed by a big helping of delicious hazlenut with slight hints of chocolate. Like drinking a glass of nutella.

MF&D - Smooth and creamy. Easy drinking for such a medium/full bodied ale. I admit, I'm a huge brown ale fan, and this one is top notch. Due to the sweetness of this ale, I'm not sure it would make a good session drink, but then again I only had 1 bottle and it went down with great ease. I definitly need to get some more, much more of this stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one has been tried and tested for many years, and I think I only add to praise when I write about this being one of my favorite beers. The beer is dark, but has a lighter tone to the tastebuds. It's smooth, malty and carries a light hazlenutty flavor that tastes great every time.
Sitting in the Portland airport after a visit with my brother, I felt blessed to have a delay and a Rogue bar by my gate. I enjoyed a tall glass of this nectar and decided to get a growler to take home on the plane. I've always enjoyed this particular brew, but that moment at PDX solidified it as a favorite as th beer and I merrily bonded.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance - Dark Brown/Slightly Red, the head disappears instantly after pour with only a little trace of it ever being there. Besides the head being gone, the color of the beer itself makes it look very appealing. Dude on the bottle makes me want to cheers him and drink.

Smell - The smell is very nutty, definitely caramel and vanilla.

Taste - This beer is delicious, from the first sip to the aftertaste. It tastes very nutty, with toffee, caramel and maybe wheat. Some super fire.

Mouthfeel - Perfectly carbinated, not overly sharp, but smooth even while in your mouth.

Drinkability/Overall Review - I love this beer, delicious, I will definitely have this beer again and it is officially one of my favorites. Rogue has done it again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer departs the bomber a rich brown color with a small head that calls to coat the beer. The nose is very nutty, some roasted and a slight chocolate character. The flavor follows suit very well. Full flavored chocolate covered nuts. More flavor than I remember in any brown ales I've had recently. The feel is very creamy and smooth, moderate to thick on the feel. Nice nice beer. Thank you Rogue for making this one available. I think that this beer could easily become a standard for every season. Not too thick or thin, dark or light. Just balanced really well with a vey nice flavor. Bravo.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rogue hazelnut brown nectar is one of my favorite beers to date. I have tried this one twice, both times in bombers. Would love to see it on tap somewhere but haven't yet. I live in St. Louis, MO and have tried this beer both times as a store bought purchase.

I am a fan of dark beer, primarily stouts, but I love a good brown and this one is tasty and complex. The interesting thing is that the hazelnut flavor creeps up on you almost as an aftertaste, and lingers, becoming sweeter on the palate.

I taste a good deal of honey by the end. I assume this is where the word "nectar" makes its debut, as the beer finishes with a honeyed sweetness. It's not like mead, which is sharp and almost too sweet at times. The hazelnut tempers the nectar flavor, making it warm and cozy. It's a perfect beer for autumn or winter, at a nice old tavern with wood floors and a fire. If it were a color, it would be the color of teak beams lit up a sweet tan in the glinting rays of the setting sun.

It's a lovely experience, and one of which I think I would never tire.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I have reviewed this beer as received on-tap... so here goes my bottle review.

My lovely wife purchased me a 22 oz bottle for a Birthday Gift. Yes, I know... she's a keeper!

I poured about 16 oz into a pint glass and produced a nice frothy 1.5" head... only a half inch too much... but I was excited! The head settled down to about 1" within 30 seconds as I svored the nutty aroma of this fine brew!

I was very anxious to taste it because it had been a while since my last one. ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY! I love this beer. The nutty extracts are clearly present but not overpowering. JUST RIGHT. A perfect amount of sweetness with very little hoppiness.

The mouthfeel on this one is spectacular. Not too carbonated... not too flat.... again just right. It left a nice lingering nutty aftertaste.

Drinkability? Right on.... a very drinkable beer. I finished off the rest of the 22 oz immediately. Left me wanting another.

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a fresh (has the Dare*Risk*Dream slogan around the neck) 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice red-brown color with two fingers of healthy head that retains well and leaves decent lacing. The smell is a serious hazelnut bomb. Hazelnut all over the place. There's a bit of chocolate and roasty malts too. The taste? Wow! This is absolutely astounding. The hazelnuts are so realistic, the slighly toasted nuttiness just comes through superbly, backed up by a bit of milk chocolate and some roasted malts. It all goes down amazingly smoothly, and leaves a wonderful nutty aftertaste on the tongue. This is a seriously superb tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is perfect, it's not too thick and has just the right amount of carbonation. The drinkability is top-notch as well, this is actually a beer that I'm glad is in large-format bottles, because drinking all of it isn't an issue at all. A seriously great brown ale that I highly recommend.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

This Beer pours a dark brownish Red tinted dark color. Very clear no haze, with a light brown head, almost no lace. Very wood like chocolate tastes hit me right away with a wood/coffee finish. Delicious and smooth. I really enjoyed this beer. I am fairly new at this but so far hands down my favorite Brown Ale so far. Medium Body & feels pretty light. The sophisticated flavors make this more of a beer to savor but still very drinkable. Maybe Not a session beer. But what Great beer is?

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales