2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,890 | Reviews: 1,311 | Show All Ratings:
mschofield

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a deep dark brown, topped with a two to three finger creamy khaki head, leaves webs of lacing.
Great aroma, very robust, nuts, pine and caramel, light chocolate note.
Very strongly nut flavored - hazelnut I suppose - comes across better in the aftertaste. Sweet, caramel, pine toffee, and light chocolate, but there is too much hazelnut it's overwhelming.
Medium bodied and smooth, would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream. It could have been a lot better.

11-03-2004 00:25:10 | More by mschofield
JackTheRipper

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

22 Oz. bomber. Bought this one fresh, going to have to try this one again some time

A: Pours a clear brown color. Smallish head sans lacing.

S: I like to go fishing. I've spent many many years doing it. This beer smells like Lake Wilhelm. The (I'll officially name it here) Wilhelm smell tends to overwhelm everything else. Faint nutty smells. No hoppy aroma to speak of. WTF went wrong here?

T: Nice malty flavors. Hints of the hazelnut come late in the tasting.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Alcohol feels about right for the stated ABV%.

D&N: Nothing special here. I'll give this beer another go in a few months. The Wilhelm smell is just creeping me out. Shame to say, but the rest of the bottle in the fridge has a date with the sink.

07-16-2005 13:44:15 | More by JackTheRipper
Mebuzzard

Colorado

From a 22oz bomber.
Poured a nice shiny brown, with good 1 1/2 finger head. But the head was gone before I sat down, no lacing, no nothing. I was confused.
Smell of sweet malt, some caramel, maple and brown sugar.
Taste was sweet. Mostly maple and some hazelnut; tones of walnut and caramel. No hops to speak of.
An oily feeling. Thin. Smooth, yet sweet.
Can't drink this again. Nothing there to hang my hat on. From Rogue? Hmm...maybe this was a bad bottle.

10-11-2006 23:36:52 | More by Mebuzzard
sisterray

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle.

08-11-2011 16:35:56 | More by sisterray
jujubeast6000

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Reviewed 6/11/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a black/dark brown colored body, with nearly no head, tan in color. Chocolately, nutty aroma, and slight coffee. Has a taste of chocolate, nuts, coffee. Coffee aftertaste. Kind of watery. Reminds me of a porter.

01-19-2009 03:31:22 | More by jujubeast6000
GarrisWH

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white two-finger head that recedes down to a thin layer fairly quickly, but retains well from that point.

S - Sweet, bread, caramel and toffee malt aromas with a pronounced hazelnut presence.

T - Sweet, toasted nutty and bread malt flavors dominate. Very slight bitter hoppiness detectable behind the malts. Decent flavors up front, but a bit bland in the finish and a little bit too sweet overall.

M - Medium bodied with a slightly syrupy feel. Medium-low carbonation level.

D - Not bad at first, but I found this beer to get old pretty quickly. Slightly too blandly sweet and syrupy to drink more than a glass of this at most. Some interesting flavors in there, but I will probably not be returning to this one.

06-04-2009 03:58:34 | More by GarrisWH
Rifugium

First had: on tap at Gullifty's, Wayne, PA

This was ok, but it was really lacking in flavor, which was disappointing considering the promise of hazelnut. I mean I wasn't expecting a Nutella beer, but...hmm... hmmm...

Poured a dark tea brown with a small off-white head that settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Toasty malts in the aroma, and not much else; slightly nutty. Taste: it's a brown ale. Malts and...malts, some caramel, a bit of nuttiness, brown sugar, and some coffee bitterness. Not really hazelnut though. Medium body, somewhat drinkable, but pretty bland I thought.

06-06-2011 17:50:13 | More by Rifugium
Beermasterjarrett

Poured from 22 into pint

Nice mocha head

Sweet hazelnut. Coffee, chocolate and sweet-n-low.

Harsh sweet cheap coffee creamer, overwhelming hazelnut, really young tast

Not bad considering the flavor sim getting, somewhat creamy and coats the palate well.

Not the best beer I've had from Rogue, some folk seem to really dig this beer too sweet imo

02-22-2014 06:28:07 | More by Beermasterjarrett
gojo1970

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

After trying this beer, I realized that I actually had tasted some good beer in my life and this wasn't it. The pour was flat with the head disappearing in seconds and a disappointed few bubbles rising to the top from the center of the bottom of the glass. The beer in appearance was cloudy almost murky. Meanwhile, after tasting it the taste was as flat as its pour.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. The first actual drink or the beer was delicious but every one after that was "thin" referring to the consistency. I did get a slight note of hazelnut and what seemed to be maybe nutmeg.

The cost was really fair (6 bucks), you can tell they put know what their doing the beer was just a miss for me.

So with everything I've babbled on about, go out and try it for yourself and write your own review.

09-17-2011 11:08:52 | More by gojo1970
Jadjunk

Georgia

2.81/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. My New Year's Beer Selection. Reviewed from notes.

(Appearance) Thick light tannish creamy head with average retention. Medium brown body color. Decent appearance. 3.5

(Smell) Musty hazelnut toffee aroma smells a little like wet dog. Hazelnut is a little artificial and dominates the nose. It doesn't allow for any balance and makes for a particuoarly unpleasant aroma. 2.5

(Taste) Cloying nutty flavor up front with a bitter roasted malt finish. A bit heavy on the hazelnut throughout and not in a pleasing way either. Not for everybody, even if you like hazelnut, this may not be an enjoyable beer. 2.75

(Mouthfeel) Creamy flavor with faint crispness throughout. Medium body for the style, medium body overall. Alcohol presence is light. 3.5

(Overall) I didn't fine the hazelnut to be a pleasing additive in this beer, and it really dominated the flavor and aroma throughout. Probably worth a try one but it is likely to offend more than the few it may please. 2.75

Rogue Ales'
Hazelnut Brown Nectar
2.81/5.00

02-02-2013 17:11:22 | More by Jadjunk
Florida9

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A: Served with about a finger or so of whitish head. Brown to dark red in color. Clear.

S: Sweet semi-rancid malt. Loads of nuts.

T: Hazelnuts and toffee. Obscene amount of fatty, creamy nuttiness. Virtually no hops. Long, somewhat foul finish.

M: Medium in body with medium carbs. Nutty flavor sticks to the inside of the mouth.

D: As is obvious, I didn't care too much for this one. Luckily I handled it better than the wife who almost dry heaved on it. This beer reminds me of some watered down, malty version of Frangelico. However, if you like nuts in your mouth, this beer is for you.

09-02-2009 01:09:39 | More by Florida9
mbrown26

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think bitter is the right word, but it was just too bitter for my palate.

A: A nice amber color with a good brownish head the went away fairly quickly. A quality product.

S: I don't get any hazelnut notes, but there is definitely sweetness. Maybe Carmel?

T: Helps if this one warms a bit. This is a beer that is meant to be sipped and examined, instead of downed.

M: I like brown ales, but there is something about this one that just didn't do it for me on the palate. Had a weird taste that I can't describe. I've never had a hazelnut flavored beer and that could be my problem.

D: Again, since this didn't do it for me, the drinkability wasn't there for me. I had a hard time wanting to go back for more sips.

I can see why some would really enjoy this, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

11-01-2010 01:13:15 | More by mbrown26
mjw2808

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

12-11-2010 05:35:22 | More by mjw2808
argock

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Served on-tap in a 16oz pint glass

Appearance: deep-reddish brown with thin cap of tan head and no lacing. Seems undercarbonated.

Smell: butterscotch and toffee with faint roasted odor with somewhat chemical fake hazelnut smell thrown in

Taste: Brown ale with some extra sweet extract nutty-caramel flavor. Nutty undertones are present but don't add much to cut the bland sweetness

Mouthfeel: Barely medium body, undercarbonated which gives it a watery feel overall.

Overall: I gave this a second try and liked it more than the first, but still not very much. The undercarbonation was odd and makes it feel too thin, and the chemical, extract flavoring is off-putting. I still contend this is one of Rogue's worst beers.

04-23-2007 01:50:22 | More by argock
goz

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pour is dark brown, with a thick tan head that quickly settles to light lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnut, backed up with lots of roasted and toasted malts. Flavor is overpowered with the hazelnut, quite sweet (maple syrup?), with a hint of the roasty malts peeking through at the end. Mouthfeel is full, a bit sticky.

02-25-2003 08:00:46 | More by goz
SaCkErZ9

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a dark, Guinness like reddish purple color. Lots of aromas swell the taste buds. A sort of fake hazelnut aroma with tons of toasted malts. Seems a bit too fake for me. And I love Rogue. Seems a bit overproduced for me. Not my favorite Rogue but not my worst. Iwould hope to find something a little less fake with hazelnut. Hows about you?!

Too sweet and fake to be drinkable. Feels like I am drinking some sweet ass coffee. Yuck.

03-12-2006 22:18:44 | More by SaCkErZ9
bvarn

Washington

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed.

01-04-2011 23:41:07 | More by bvarn
Richardbeerlover

3.01/5  rDev -26%

Pours a nice brown with a thick head. I for the life of me can't detect any hazelnut smell at all. Although the taste is good for a brown ale I can't detect any hazelnut taste or flavor at all. Although it's highly rated here I'm not sure why. The big letdown for me is the lack of any hazelnut.

04-06-2014 04:32:18 | More by Richardbeerlover
Globetrotter

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown bomber with an oriental man holding up a mug of beer and some oriental characters. Label includes the ingredients, which all sound impressive. No fre3shness info.

Pours a clear cola brown under a two finger off white head that is quite think and fades quickly without leaving any lace. The nose is marvellous - strong and sweet of caramel and hazelnut. The mouth is quite prickly, light and clean. The taste is intense - nut and caramel, but more than a bit on the sugary sweet side. The taste reminds me of root beer. There is just the slightest hint of hops, but the finish is sweet, the aftertaste is sweet, the entire impression is sweet. Definitely disappointing.

10-21-2004 03:18:24 | More by Globetrotter
EmChouffe

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

I actually had to review this beer because so many people loved it and I'm now wondering what I'm missing. First it poured a deep reddish brown, slighty murky. Moderate head retention with some nice lacing. Ok, it smelled good, really it did, I WANTED to like it. It smelled like a bakery, caramel, toasted nuts, all that good stuff. But the taste? eh. It was a bit one-dimensional for me. Definitely very heavily presented toasted nut and oat flavors. But something was off, like I was looking at the tap and THINKING hazelnut but really I was tasting some horrible nut extract with a heavy emphasis on walnut/pecan. Oh yeah, some vanilla and even a little cocoa. But I wanted it sweeter and more balanced. WAY more balanced. but hey, maybe it's just me.

03-29-2007 13:37:12 | More by EmChouffe
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color. The head is a one finger light mocha shade featuring a good texture, but not much retention.

S: Strongly nutty - not just in terms of hazelnut, but other variants like almonds, walnuts, and pecans come through. Aromatically, it's pretty much just peanut butter-esque with not much else to give any other depth. But that one note? It's extremely inviting and enjoyable.

T: Much sweeter than the aroma, and veering dangerously to artificial in terms of how it comes off. The flavor profile is hazelnut...and that's about it. Decidedly one note, and that solitary note has flaws to it. I don't hate it by any stretch, though.

M: The general texture is kind of thin and even insubstantial. Despite that, there's a lot of coarse finishing astringency that comes off slightly clashing with the sweetness and limp body. Hell, it even manages to be both watery AND sugary in its finish. Only thing it does right here is ease of drinkability.

O: Not particularly likable aside from the aroma; I'm glad I only bought a single of these and wouldn't buy it again. Having said that, it's a good choice for hazelnut lovers - because let's face it, the flavor is nothing BUT that. If this and Frangelic Mountain Brown have taught me anything, it's that hazelnut beers give off great aromatic qualities...and not so great flavor profiles.

02-20-2013 20:31:17 | More by ThisWangsChung
cjgiant

District of Columbia

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer was just not up my alley. The appearance was a amber brown clear with some head, little retention and not much lacing. It smells quite good, malty caramel, nutty, little orange blossom maybe.

Taste wise, though, it starts out sweet, nutty, with a taste of honey, but turns bitter more like an ESB than I would care to have with such a malty start. There is a little puckering of the tongue at this for mouthfeel, but overall it doesn't suit my tastes.

08-14-2013 01:35:10 | More by cjgiant
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

650ml bottle. Pours a very dark red amber. Smells and tastes of hazelnut. Not bad, not great though. Easy to drink, but nothing special once again. After finishing the last of my bomber bottles of this, I grew more and more disappointed. Won't be buying this again.

10-16-2009 00:31:51 | More by WeedKing4
madtappers

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

For a brown ale, this beer was very good but, compared to other brown ales it was just ok.

Very plain taste with no hops or over pouring malt. A very good beer for a lager drinker to try on there way to IPAs or Pales.

The hazelnut is there but not overpowering and adds to the smooth taste of this beer.

Good starter beer for the novice ale drinker, but not for someone who enjoys hops.

12-14-2008 17:19:55 | More by madtappers
chrisgn

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

22oz bomber poured into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Opaque brown color. Very little carbonation and foamy white head with poor retention and lacing.

S- sweet malty character and hazelnut.

T- Roasty malt flavor and hazelnut definitely comes through. This beer is hindered from the fact that it is very flat. No date on the bottle so I cant tell if it is old, but it might be.

M- Very thin, little carbonation.

D- Easy drinking brown ale. Not high in alcohol or strong flavor, but flavor doesn't leave me wanting more. I actually thought I dumping out the rest of the bottle.

Notes: Judging from the high reviews this beer has gotten I am guessing I got an old bottle. Does anyone know when this beer is brewed so I can get a fresh bottle?

10-04-2010 00:16:22 | More by chrisgn