2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,890 | Reviews: 1,311 | Show All Ratings:
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color. The head is a one finger light mocha shade featuring a good texture, but not much retention.

S: Strongly nutty - not just in terms of hazelnut, but other variants like almonds, walnuts, and pecans come through. Aromatically, it's pretty much just peanut butter-esque with not much else to give any other depth. But that one note? It's extremely inviting and enjoyable.

T: Much sweeter than the aroma, and veering dangerously to artificial in terms of how it comes off. The flavor profile is hazelnut...and that's about it. Decidedly one note, and that solitary note has flaws to it. I don't hate it by any stretch, though.

M: The general texture is kind of thin and even insubstantial. Despite that, there's a lot of coarse finishing astringency that comes off slightly clashing with the sweetness and limp body. Hell, it even manages to be both watery AND sugary in its finish. Only thing it does right here is ease of drinkability.

O: Not particularly likable aside from the aroma; I'm glad I only bought a single of these and wouldn't buy it again. Having said that, it's a good choice for hazelnut lovers - because let's face it, the flavor is nothing BUT that. If this and Frangelic Mountain Brown have taught me anything, it's that hazelnut beers give off great aromatic qualities...and not so great flavor profiles.

02-20-2013 20:31:17 | More by ThisWangsChung
cjgiant

District of Columbia

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer was just not up my alley. The appearance was a amber brown clear with some head, little retention and not much lacing. It smells quite good, malty caramel, nutty, little orange blossom maybe.

Taste wise, though, it starts out sweet, nutty, with a taste of honey, but turns bitter more like an ESB than I would care to have with such a malty start. There is a little puckering of the tongue at this for mouthfeel, but overall it doesn't suit my tastes.

08-14-2013 01:35:10 | More by cjgiant
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

650ml bottle. Pours a very dark red amber. Smells and tastes of hazelnut. Not bad, not great though. Easy to drink, but nothing special once again. After finishing the last of my bomber bottles of this, I grew more and more disappointed. Won't be buying this again.

10-16-2009 00:31:51 | More by WeedKing4
madtappers

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

For a brown ale, this beer was very good but, compared to other brown ales it was just ok.

Very plain taste with no hops or over pouring malt. A very good beer for a lager drinker to try on there way to IPAs or Pales.

The hazelnut is there but not overpowering and adds to the smooth taste of this beer.

Good starter beer for the novice ale drinker, but not for someone who enjoys hops.

12-14-2008 17:19:55 | More by madtappers
chrisgn

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

22oz bomber poured into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Opaque brown color. Very little carbonation and foamy white head with poor retention and lacing.

S- sweet malty character and hazelnut.

T- Roasty malt flavor and hazelnut definitely comes through. This beer is hindered from the fact that it is very flat. No date on the bottle so I cant tell if it is old, but it might be.

M- Very thin, little carbonation.

D- Easy drinking brown ale. Not high in alcohol or strong flavor, but flavor doesn't leave me wanting more. I actually thought I dumping out the rest of the bottle.

Notes: Judging from the high reviews this beer has gotten I am guessing I got an old bottle. Does anyone know when this beer is brewed so I can get a fresh bottle?

10-04-2010 00:16:22 | More by chrisgn
Darkmagus82

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a lighter brown color with a billowy tan head. The head has big carbonation bubbles entrapped within. These pop slowly overtime and leave a very nice level of lacing.

Smell – Sweet aromas of brown sugar and molasses are quite strong. These are mixed with a malty breadlines and a hazelnut aroma. They all were in some ways not too complementary and instead seemed to be somewhat stale and artificial in nature.

Taste – A sweet brown sugar and roasted maltiness start the taste quite strong. These are soon meet with some of the hazelnut flavor and a sweeter molasses flavor that develop more toward the middle of the taste. The nuttiness intensifies as the taste advances more and is mixed with a lighter coffee flavor which dry the sweet flavor a bit at the end and leave a bitter sweet taste on the tongue which lingers a bit too long.

Mouthfeel –Creamier then the average brew with a very medium level of carbonation. The creaminess suits the malty flavors well, but the carbonation sort of takes away from the flavors.

Overall – It was an alright brew. The flavors weren’t the greatest as some seemed a little bit artificial and the bitter and the sweet did not seem to meld very well.

05-01-2012 00:16:14 | More by Darkmagus82
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Dark brown in colour with medium carbonation, but poor head retention. Strong malty aromas, along with the typical Rogue pacman yeasty touch and a bit of roasted malt. Initial flavors of munich malts and a bit of soft fruit give way to the more drying chocolate malt and nut flavors. I think it’s more sesame than hazelnut, but the nut element is definitely there. There’s a bit of a sour twang (not from infection) on the finish that I didn’t really like. A bit of a disappointment.

05-04-2006 17:06:40 | More by fisherman34
xzqrut

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Beer poured out a very nice deep brown, slightly hazy, with light head and lacing. Beer smelled nice and sweet, with some chocolate and hazelnut aromas. The taste was not quite what I was hoping for, sweet, with some malt and hazelnut. Mouthfeel was too syrupy, but perhaps that is to be expected with a "nectar," also seemed very flat. All in all, very average I thought, somewhat disappointed from Rogue which is usually so good.

02-14-2007 00:10:38 | More by xzqrut
r0nyn

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany brown with amber edges around the top and bottom edges. Many lines of bubbles rise up from the bottom, pooling into the thin light tan cap that is left by the half-inch head. Gobs of sticky lacing coat the inside of the glass from the remnants of the head. Nose is full of very sweet smelling barley malts, along with a subtle, almost ephemeral undertone of hazelnut. Caramel is also evident with nuances of wheat and mocha. Not too much hoppiness.

It's light and malty through and through, from start to finish. There's a slight breadiness that comes through as the beer washes over your palate, followed by a light smattering of nuttiness and caramel. Hops make a very brief appearance on the back end as a fleeting bitterness as the brew leaves your tongue. Just a very mild tasting experience, on the whole. It was almost lager-like in nearly every aspect, especially the finish.. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, which is pretty disappointing. A little too much carbonation leaves the mouth somewhat dry.

Sweet beers are right up my alley, so I was looking forward to indulging in this beer. Unfortunately, it was quite a disappointment in almost every single way. The taste is far too mild to be truly enjoyable and it's just way too thin. Makes for easy enough drinking, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this brew any time soon.

02-01-2011 22:05:14 | More by r0nyn
enzocc

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

A - I was impressed when i poured the beer. nice brown dense color, almost going to dark red. Light head, didnt last to long.

S - not impressed at all. i was hoping a better kick of nutty essence. normal brown ale.

T - Roasted malt, with caramel. A light essence of nuts,(hazelnut? ). very simple flavor.

M - Clear, watery, light. very thin beer. light carbonation. easy to swallow and savory.

O - Good brown ale, but i was expecting more thanks the advertising behind the beer. I would try it again, but its not my favorite.

08-24-2011 01:05:48 | More by enzocc
Hoptometrist

Oregon

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the Rogue Public House in Eugene

A- Poured a dark brown with orange hues shining through, nice frothy head that left glass coating lace

S- Kinda stinks like a wet dog, a little musty, and a big aroma of old beer bread

T- Burnt toffee, concentrated caramel syrup, barley, little bit of nuttiness, and a big stale beer bread character

M- Very very smooth, prickly carbonation, dry

O- Great mouthfeel and some really good flavors, but also some off-flavors. The aroma on this beer was pretty foul too. If you have ever spilled beer on the carpet and waited too long to clean it up, that aroma comes through in the flavor and aroma, kind of stale, stinky beer character

09-07-2012 01:12:24 | More by Hoptometrist
tectactoe

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

I haven't typically been a huge fan of Rogue's beers, and their questionable business practices make me hesitant to buy their brews, but the ratings of this one were such that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a single 12 oz bottle for less than 2$. Swampy brown with some very light copper - some clarity, some haze. Soapy, beige head tames itself to a stretch-out film rather quickly... this one certainly isn't much to look at.

Lots and lots of sticky toffee on the nose... even more so than hazelnut, I think. In fact, there's really only a light hint of hazelnut that I'm getting in the back, and it's a bit artificial and not quite so "nutty", if that makes sense. Think Frangelic Mountain Brown, only far less potent. Seems like a bit of oxidation has plagued this bottle as well, as I'm getting some unwanted hints of wet, boxed cardboard. Not enough to ruin things completely, but not a good sign.

Hazelnut is a bit stronger on the palate, thankfully. I also get nice hints of cola, toffee, dry cocoa powder, and a stronger nutty character in the finish. It's kind of woodsy and earthy, too, and unfortunately, that oxidized cardboard is present in the finish. Again, not so much as to make this beer undrinkable, but enough to be a slight hinderance. Not as sweet as I was expecting, rather dry and nutty with only a mild malty sweetness throughout.

Hops are relatively low... well, basically nonexistent, actually. That's fine, though, as I don't think they'd add much here. The body doesn't quite match the flavors - I'd like things to be a bit thicker, but maybe I'm asking for too much from a 6.2% ABV brown ale. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. Even minus the oxidation, the flavors weren't working for me the way they seem to be for others. Would've liked a touch more hazelnut and a bit more sweetness. I'd like to try it again, unoxidized, but I won't be rushing to get another.

08-25-2013 19:38:01 | More by tectactoe
xk6m6m5x

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting

07-13-2013 00:09:54 | More by xk6m6m5x
jayhawk73

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a medium dark brown w/ a very thin caramel colored head that quickly disappears. Looks good- wish the head was a little better. Smell is that of Hazelnut, chocolate, malt. Taste is good, but it feels a little thin to me taste-wise, I'd like the body to be thicker. Not much aftertaste, it kind of just evaporates into nothingness. Drinkability is decent. Maybe I've been drinking too many big high ABV beers lately, but this one is just above average in my book. A good session beer. This is a good beer, and I'm glad I tried it.

03-09-2011 00:57:55 | More by jayhawk73
tewaris

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar
22 oz "bomber" poured into a pint glass.

Pours a milky looking dark amber/light brown color with a moderate tan colored head. Medium head retention and lacing. Aroma is not remarkable or interesting. Pretty ho hum. Tastes (and looks) very different from what I expected... sharp and tart with a nutty finish and a long nutty aftertaste. Medium body, some residual sweetness, and high carbonation. A good but unremarkable beer with an odd acidity is the overall impression. The finish and the aftertaste are solid though.

4, 2, 3, 4, 4

01-25-2012 07:19:22 | More by tewaris
clvand0

Kentucky

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Saw the Morimotos thinking they were different from the normal Rogues, but they aren't. Regardless, I've not had the normal Hazelnut. Pours a dark amber color with a small, thick head that sticks around for quite some time. I could not find the hazelnut in the aroma, but I did find some chocolate hints along with some sweet malts. The flavor really showed the hazelnut much better than the aroma. Other flavors were chocolate and roasted malt. The mouthfeel was a little thin and bitter, but a fairly decent beer overall. There are other offerings from Rogue that I will probably try again before this one.

10-28-2003 21:35:53 | More by clvand0
Weissenheimer

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A vigorous pour yields a small, pretty, foamy tan head wihch immediately dimples its way down to a thin froth and leaves very little lacing. The color is a not-quite-opaque dark brown which brings Ubu to mind. And yes, it smells strongly of hazelnuts.

The first stage is smooth, creamy, and sweet. The second stage kicks in very quickly, with lots of tingly stuff going on at the tip of my tongue which reminds me of those salty/bitter/sweet candies. My initial reaction to the first two stages is "Wow! Perky!" The hazelnut flavor really comes on strong in the second stage, and it sticks around as the flavor migrates to the back of my tongue while transforming into the somewhat bitter finish.

My reaction to this beer vacillates between "interesting" and "gimmicky". By the time I'm finished I'm leaning pretty heavily toward "gimmicky". The sweetness is nearly bludgeoning in its intensity; the sourness is actually necessary to counteract it! It's certainly interesting enough to be worth a try, but I doubt I'll be coming back to it.

12-03-2003 17:13:43 | More by Weissenheimer
johnnydollar

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Yes it's good, but I wouldn't say great. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this Rogue didn't blow me away. The glass has a nice transparent brown hue and it doesn't smell like much of anything. The taste is enjoyable, but a little too sweet for my liking. The carbonation, color and flavor all resemble cola in a weird sort of way. I like cola so I enjoyed drinking it, but it's not the Rogue experience that I am used to. Is it REALLY 6.2% ABV? I would have guessed much lower (it is also available in South Carolina where we have a alcohol cap on beer at 6%... shhh. don't tell anybody).

04-03-2007 02:57:16 | More by johnnydollar
ElGrecoVerde

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Very ambitious beer, but not exactly to my liking.

It looked great, and smell sweet but under control. However, I felt the sweet vanilla and hazelnut flavors get a bit too loose in the taste. At first, there's nothing, then it all hits you at once. The toasted, nutty flavors are all nice, just a little too sweet for me.

Motuhfeel is great, smooth and crisp. But it's a hard one to keep drinking.

04-16-2008 16:47:09 | More by ElGrecoVerde
biophiliadude

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale.

11-23-2009 03:29:31 | More by biophiliadude
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I split this with a couple of friends today.

Pouring dark brown with a thin, brown head that recedes to a ring rather quick. This is decent. The nose is just a little disappointing. Caramel and some brown sugar are noticeable, but what jumps right out are soggy corn flakes (unsweetened). Initially, the hazelnut is REALLY strong, but it gently fades, bringing a some of balance. The palate opens lightly sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and quite a bit of hazelnut flavor. Again, I get a strange soggy cereal flavor, rather off-putting. Mildly sweet on the finish, this is medium-light in body and has moderate carbonation. I don't know if this bottle is off, but this isn't all that enjoyable.

11-05-2010 02:57:44 | More by DefenCorps
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A - Cloudy red-brown with a one finger off white head. Head disappeared to absolutely ZERO by the time I was near the end of my mug, with no lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, earthy, and a good amount of the hazelnut promised in the title.

T - Intial taste is an earthy malt, followed by a big blast of hazelnut. Very strange hop character comes through right at the end. I expected this to have more intense and complex flavors for a brown, with more roasted/toasted notes. It just wasnt there. Disappointing. Lastly, I dont feel the hazelnut taste worked well with the hops and other components.

M - Severly undercarbonated. Just kind of sits in your mouth, leaving a syrupy feel when swallowed.

O - I love brown ales, and was eager to try this, but overall I would have to say this is a misfire from Rogue. Lack of carbonation, off flavor combinations, and too much hazelnut (and not much else) left me scratching my head. I wont be buying this again. Give me a Breckenridge Mighty Brown or a DFH Indian Brown Ale anyday.

12-06-2011 02:31:09 | More by TempeBeerMan
Bendurgin

Maine

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours chestnut brown with a cap of white head and some thin lace.

The aroma is not surprisingly full of hazelnut. A little bit of citrus in the background with some brown sugar in the background. Hazelnut flavors with some brown sugar. Seems to have an odd twange on the finish. I don't really know how to describe it.

The body is light with good carbonation. Overall not bad. I was excited to see this in six packs. But lets be honest here, I'm still going to pass.

02-15-2012 01:38:05 | More by Bendurgin
Vixie

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a nice ruby red with a bit of a tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell is on the sweet side, the malt notes kick in first, then a bit of a candy like sweetness.

Taste is very much on the sweet side, but not overly so. There is a nuttiness there, and the sweetness is a bit different from the typical malt sweetness, maybe from the hazelnuts.

Feel is fairly standard for the style, no complaints here.

Overall a decent beer, but not a standout. It goes down very easy, and would be nice on a hot day, I would juts like a bit more fullness in the flavor. Worth a try, a nice variation on a brown ale.

06-02-2012 20:37:47 | More by Vixie
cokes

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.
Nicely nutty and toasty for a brown ale, but the seemingly artifical (and overpowering) hazelnut extract really impedes this brew. More fake vanilla than anything. It does not taste bad, it just tastes forced. A subtler approach may yeild better results.
Smooth and creamy in the mouth. But I can't get over the cream soda comparisons.
This is alright as a change of pace, but the bomber was too much for me. It just got too sweet and fake tasting.

08-19-2002 23:55:59 | More by cokes