Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,378 | Hads: 3,840
3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany brown with amber edges around the top and bottom edges. Many lines of bubbles rise up from the bottom, pooling into the thin light tan cap that is left by the half-inch head. Gobs of sticky lacing coat the inside of the glass from the remnants of the head. Nose is full of very sweet smelling barley malts, along with a subtle, almost ephemeral undertone of hazelnut. Caramel is also evident with nuances of wheat and mocha. Not too much hoppiness.

It's light and malty through and through, from start to finish. There's a slight breadiness that comes through as the beer washes over your palate, followed by a light smattering of nuttiness and caramel. Hops make a very brief appearance on the back end as a fleeting bitterness as the brew leaves your tongue. Just a very mild tasting experience, on the whole. It was almost lager-like in nearly every aspect, especially the finish.. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, which is pretty disappointing. A little too much carbonation leaves the mouth somewhat dry.

Sweet beers are right up my alley, so I was looking forward to indulging in this beer. Unfortunately, it was quite a disappointment in almost every single way. The taste is far too mild to be truly enjoyable and it's just way too thin. Makes for easy enough drinking, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this brew any time soon. (1,415 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

I can't help but compare this ale to a hazlenut stout I recently had that was much better in all respects. This beer had a decent smell and taste of hazlenut but it soon becomes tedious to drink. The consistency just feels wrong since the thinness does little to back up the hazlenut flavor. I realize that a brown ale is supposed to be thinner than a stout but this beer just doesn't work with a thin body. Try J Wakefield Hazlenut Imperial Stout if you want a great beer with hazlenuts. (492 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown bomber with an oriental man holding up a mug of beer and some oriental characters. Label includes the ingredients, which all sound impressive. No fre3shness info.

Pours a clear cola brown under a two finger off white head that is quite think and fades quickly without leaving any lace. The nose is marvellous - strong and sweet of caramel and hazelnut. The mouth is quite prickly, light and clean. The taste is intense - nut and caramel, but more than a bit on the sugary sweet side. The taste reminds me of root beer. There is just the slightest hint of hops, but the finish is sweet, the aftertaste is sweet, the entire impression is sweet. Definitely disappointing. (677 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%

A - I was impressed when i poured the beer. nice brown dense color, almost going to dark red. Light head, didnt last to long.

S - not impressed at all. i was hoping a better kick of nutty essence. normal brown ale.

T - Roasted malt, with caramel. A light essence of nuts,(hazelnut? ). very simple flavor.

M - Clear, watery, light. very thin beer. light carbonation. easy to swallow and savory.

O - Good brown ale, but i was expecting more thanks the advertising behind the beer. I would try it again, but its not my favorite. (529 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I haven't typically been a huge fan of Rogue's beers, and their questionable business practices make me hesitant to buy their brews, but the ratings of this one were such that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a single 12 oz bottle for less than 2$. Swampy brown with some very light copper - some clarity, some haze. Soapy, beige head tames itself to a stretch-out film rather quickly... this one certainly isn't much to look at.

Lots and lots of sticky toffee on the nose... even more so than hazelnut, I think. In fact, there's really only a light hint of hazelnut that I'm getting in the back, and it's a bit artificial and not quite so "nutty", if that makes sense. Think Frangelic Mountain Brown, only far less potent. Seems like a bit of oxidation has plagued this bottle as well, as I'm getting some unwanted hints of wet, boxed cardboard. Not enough to ruin things completely, but not a good sign.

Hazelnut is a bit stronger on the palate, thankfully. I also get nice hints of cola, toffee, dry cocoa powder, and a stronger nutty character in the finish. It's kind of woodsy and earthy, too, and unfortunately, that oxidized cardboard is present in the finish. Again, not so much as to make this beer undrinkable, but enough to be a slight hinderance. Not as sweet as I was expecting, rather dry and nutty with only a mild malty sweetness throughout.

Hops are relatively low... well, basically nonexistent, actually. That's fine, though, as I don't think they'd add much here. The body doesn't quite match the flavors - I'd like things to be a bit thicker, but maybe I'm asking for too much from a 6.2% ABV brown ale. Not a bad beer, but not a very good one, either. Even minus the oxidation, the flavors weren't working for me the way they seem to be for others. Would've liked a touch more hazelnut and a bit more sweetness. I'd like to try it again, unoxidized, but I won't be rushing to get another. (1,923 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Beer poured out a very nice deep brown, slightly hazy, with light head and lacing. Beer smelled nice and sweet, with some chocolate and hazelnut aromas. The taste was not quite what I was hoping for, sweet, with some malt and hazelnut. Mouthfeel was too syrupy, but perhaps that is to be expected with a "nectar," also seemed very flat. All in all, very average I thought, somewhat disappointed from Rogue which is usually so good. (431 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting (419 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Cloudy red-brown with a one finger off white head. Head disappeared to absolutely ZERO by the time I was near the end of my mug, with no lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, earthy, and a good amount of the hazelnut promised in the title.

T - Intial taste is an earthy malt, followed by a big blast of hazelnut. Very strange hop character comes through right at the end. I expected this to have more intense and complex flavors for a brown, with more roasted/toasted notes. It just wasnt there. Disappointing. Lastly, I dont feel the hazelnut taste worked well with the hops and other components.

M - Severly undercarbonated. Just kind of sits in your mouth, leaving a syrupy feel when swallowed.

O - I love brown ales, and was eager to try this, but overall I would have to say this is a misfire from Rogue. Lack of carbonation, off flavor combinations, and too much hazelnut (and not much else) left me scratching my head. I wont be buying this again. Give me a Breckenridge Mighty Brown or a DFH Indian Brown Ale anyday. (1,026 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Dark brown in colour with medium carbonation, but poor head retention. Strong malty aromas, along with the typical Rogue pacman yeasty touch and a bit of roasted malt. Initial flavors of munich malts and a bit of soft fruit give way to the more drying chocolate malt and nut flavors. I think it’s more sesame than hazelnut, but the nut element is definitely there. There’s a bit of a sour twang (not from infection) on the finish that I didn’t really like. A bit of a disappointment. (486 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a medium dark brown w/ a very thin caramel colored head that quickly disappears. Looks good- wish the head was a little better. Smell is that of Hazelnut, chocolate, malt. Taste is good, but it feels a little thin to me taste-wise, I'd like the body to be thicker. Not much aftertaste, it kind of just evaporates into nothingness. Drinkability is decent. Maybe I've been drinking too many big high ABV beers lately, but this one is just above average in my book. A good session beer. This is a good beer, and I'm glad I tried it. (535 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Saw the Morimotos thinking they were different from the normal Rogues, but they aren't. Regardless, I've not had the normal Hazelnut. Pours a dark amber color with a small, thick head that sticks around for quite some time. I could not find the hazelnut in the aroma, but I did find some chocolate hints along with some sweet malts. The flavor really showed the hazelnut much better than the aroma. Other flavors were chocolate and roasted malt. The mouthfeel was a little thin and bitter, but a fairly decent beer overall. There are other offerings from Rogue that I will probably try again before this one. (608 characters)

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale. (425 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - dark brown in color, hazy, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - surprisingly not much of a smell at all. If I strain really hard I can tell that there's a hazelnut tinge to it, but that's about it.

Taste - at first it's more of a malty ale taste, but then right after the start the hazelnut flavor kicks in, which permeates into the finish and aftertaste a bit. Bitter aftertaste in general.

Mouthfeel - pretty well balanced overall, doesn't seem to lean more or less on the watery or creamy sides.

Overall - not a bad brew...tastes a bit like coffee. Not very interesting to think about though. (684 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a nice ruby red with a bit of a tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell is on the sweet side, the malt notes kick in first, then a bit of a candy like sweetness.

Taste is very much on the sweet side, but not overly so. There is a nuttiness there, and the sweetness is a bit different from the typical malt sweetness, maybe from the hazelnuts.

Feel is fairly standard for the style, no complaints here.

Overall a decent beer, but not a standout. It goes down very easy, and would be nice on a hot day, I would juts like a bit more fullness in the flavor. Worth a try, a nice variation on a brown ale. (609 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

I split this with a couple of friends today.

Pouring dark brown with a thin, brown head that recedes to a ring rather quick. This is decent. The nose is just a little disappointing. Caramel and some brown sugar are noticeable, but what jumps right out are soggy corn flakes (unsweetened). Initially, the hazelnut is REALLY strong, but it gently fades, bringing a some of balance. The palate opens lightly sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and quite a bit of hazelnut flavor. Again, I get a strange soggy cereal flavor, rather off-putting. Mildly sweet on the finish, this is medium-light in body and has moderate carbonation. I don't know if this bottle is off, but this isn't all that enjoyable. (696 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours chestnut brown with a cap of white head and some thin lace.

The aroma is not surprisingly full of hazelnut. A little bit of citrus in the background with some brown sugar in the background. Hazelnut flavors with some brown sugar. Seems to have an odd twange on the finish. I don't really know how to describe it.

The body is light with good carbonation. Overall not bad. I was excited to see this in six packs. But lets be honest here, I'm still going to pass. (514 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle bought from the local supermarket

Had high hopes for this as really enjoyed the chocolate stout

As soon as I popped it had a bit of froth rising wanting to get out

Medium brown/sight tinge of red with a finger of head that settles quite quickly

Smells.. this is where the disappointment started for me. No real hazlenut notes here. Vaguely remember a homebrew kit that smelt very close to this. Nothing spacial.

Taste.. much the same. Getting a slight hazelnut taste here and a good finish. Quite abrupt.

Not a bad drop but expected more from a rogue beer after tasting their chocolate stout. Will definitely be buying more of their beers just not this one. (670 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Very ambitious beer, but not exactly to my liking.

It looked great, and smell sweet but under control. However, I felt the sweet vanilla and hazelnut flavors get a bit too loose in the taste. At first, there's nothing, then it all hits you at once. The toasted, nutty flavors are all nice, just a little too sweet for me.

Motuhfeel is great, smooth and crisp. But it's a hard one to keep drinking. (399 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

A vigorous pour yields a small, pretty, foamy tan head wihch immediately dimples its way down to a thin froth and leaves very little lacing. The color is a not-quite-opaque dark brown which brings Ubu to mind. And yes, it smells strongly of hazelnuts.

The first stage is smooth, creamy, and sweet. The second stage kicks in very quickly, with lots of tingly stuff going on at the tip of my tongue which reminds me of those salty/bitter/sweet candies. My initial reaction to the first two stages is "Wow! Perky!" The hazelnut flavor really comes on strong in the second stage, and it sticks around as the flavor migrates to the back of my tongue while transforming into the somewhat bitter finish.

My reaction to this beer vacillates between "interesting" and "gimmicky". By the time I'm finished I'm leaning pretty heavily toward "gimmicky". The sweetness is nearly bludgeoning in its intensity; the sourness is actually necessary to counteract it! It's certainly interesting enough to be worth a try, but I doubt I'll be coming back to it. (1,046 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.
Nicely nutty and toasty for a brown ale, but the seemingly artifical (and overpowering) hazelnut extract really impedes this brew. More fake vanilla than anything. It does not taste bad, it just tastes forced. A subtler approach may yeild better results.
Smooth and creamy in the mouth. But I can't get over the cream soda comparisons.
This is alright as a change of pace, but the bomber was too much for me. It just got too sweet and fake tasting. (550 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Maroon brown pour with a light tan head. Slightly transluscent but hazy. Smell is definitely big on hazlenuts with a lot of sweetness, and milkiness coming in as well. Smells like the hazlenut coffee creamers. Nice slightly thick body on the beer, smooth, and sweet nuttiness. Perhaps a bit overly sweet, but the big nutty flavor was welcomed. Nice for a brown, and pretty easy drinking. (387 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Attractive dark ruby brown with a creamy beige head.
Roasted aroma with hints of vanilla.
This is alright as a change of pace, but the bomber was too much for me. It just got too sweet and fake tasting. (538 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

A - clear copper with a thick and dense foam.

S - Nutty with hazelnuts, bready and some fruit. Light toastedness.

T - Some hazelnut, but not as intense as expected. Bitterness is fairly hight and some fruitiness shows through. Strongly malty. Hints of coffee.

M - On the lighter side with a sharp carbonation.

D - Odd tasting combination. It's ok, but not something I would recommend. (388 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Almost more of a deep ruby red than brown. Head reduced pretty quickly, but is lingering on the edges, with a nice skim.

Definitely smells of the hazelnut. Almost overwhelmingly so. Faint chocolate notes, roasty, almost burnt. I'm not really excited about drinking it at this point.

Hmmm. It is tasty, but almost tastes like frangelico light. If you like hazelnut, you'll love it.

Feels a bit syrupy, taste definitely stays with you.

Fo me, this would work as a dessert beer or night cap, but otherwise the flavor is a bit too much. (538 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%

A: Brown with reddish amber notes around the edges. In a tulip glass, I got about two fingers of khaki marshmallow head. Dissipates at a medium rate, leaving a little lacing.

S: Hazelnut, baked bread, malts malts malts. I'm also getting a little bit of a tootsie roll smell on the end. After a second smell, I'm getting honey as well. A touch of brown sugar

T: BIG hazelnut with lots of malts. I'm still getting something through the middle that tastes like a tootsie roll or the hard candy part of a chocolate tootsie pop. It's feeling maltier and maltier as it warms and brown sugar is coming through. It could be bolder.

M: Yikes, y'all. This is really really watery. It's smooth, low carbonation, drinkable but SO thin-bodied in my opinion. Man, I wish there were more to this beer because it has such good potential.

O: Maybe it's just my palate because this beer got really good reviews, and I DO really enjoy the aroma and flavor but I just think this beer would be great if it were bold all-around. I wish it had all of the nose, taste, and mouthfeel except intensified a lot. That said, brown ales and stouts are kind of mah thang. I recently had DFH Palo Santo & Indian Brown which are both HUMONGOUS browns in body, flavor, aroma (and booze)..I would almost call palo santo a stout--so I might just still be in a different element. But yeah, this just needs some thickening. (1,391 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales