Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
heytomcat

02-10-2014 22:10:47 | More by emakings
GarrisWH

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with an off-white two-finger head that recedes down to a thin layer fairly quickly, but retains well from that point.

S - Sweet, bread, caramel and toffee malt aromas with a pronounced hazelnut presence.

T - Sweet, toasted nutty and bread malt flavors dominate. Very slight bitter hoppiness detectable behind the malts. Decent flavors up front, but a bit bland in the finish and a little bit too sweet overall.

M - Medium bodied with a slightly syrupy feel. Medium-low carbonation level.

D - Not bad at first, but I found this beer to get old pretty quickly. Slightly too blandly sweet and syrupy to drink more than a glass of this at most. Some interesting flavors in there, but I will probably not be returning to this one.

06-04-2009 03:58:34 | More by GarrisWH
Beermasterjarrett

Poured from 22 into pint

Nice mocha head

Sweet hazelnut. Coffee, chocolate and sweet-n-low.

Harsh sweet cheap coffee creamer, overwhelming hazelnut, really young tast

Not bad considering the flavor sim getting, somewhat creamy and coats the palate well.

Not the best beer I've had from Rogue, some folk seem to really dig this beer too sweet imo

02-22-2014 06:28:07 | More by Beermasterjarrett
Rifugium

First had: on tap at Gullifty's, Wayne, PA

This was ok, but it was really lacking in flavor, which was disappointing considering the promise of hazelnut. I mean I wasn't expecting a Nutella beer, but...hmm... hmmm...

Poured a dark tea brown with a small off-white head that settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Toasty malts in the aroma, and not much else; slightly nutty. Taste: it's a brown ale. Malts and...malts, some caramel, a bit of nuttiness, brown sugar, and some coffee bitterness. Not really hazelnut though. Medium body, somewhat drinkable, but pretty bland I thought.

06-06-2011 17:50:13 | More by Rifugium
gojo1970

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

After trying this beer, I realized that I actually had tasted some good beer in my life and this wasn't it. The pour was flat with the head disappearing in seconds and a disappointed few bubbles rising to the top from the center of the bottom of the glass. The beer in appearance was cloudy almost murky. Meanwhile, after tasting it the taste was as flat as its pour.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. The first actual drink or the beer was delicious but every one after that was "thin" referring to the consistency. I did get a slight note of hazelnut and what seemed to be maybe nutmeg.

The cost was really fair (6 bucks), you can tell they put know what their doing the beer was just a miss for me.

So with everything I've babbled on about, go out and try it for yourself and write your own review.

09-17-2011 11:08:52 | More by gojo1970
Jadjunk

Georgia

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. My New Year's Beer Selection. Reviewed from notes.

(Appearance) Thick light tannish creamy head with average retention. Medium brown body color. Decent appearance. 3.5

(Smell) Musty hazelnut toffee aroma smells a little like wet dog. Hazelnut is a little artificial and dominates the nose. It doesn't allow for any balance and makes for a particuoarly unpleasant aroma. 2.5

(Taste) Cloying nutty flavor up front with a bitter roasted malt finish. A bit heavy on the hazelnut throughout and not in a pleasing way either. Not for everybody, even if you like hazelnut, this may not be an enjoyable beer. 2.75

(Mouthfeel) Creamy flavor with faint crispness throughout. Medium body for the style, medium body overall. Alcohol presence is light. 3.5

(Overall) I didn't fine the hazelnut to be a pleasing additive in this beer, and it really dominated the flavor and aroma throughout. Probably worth a try one but it is likely to offend more than the few it may please. 2.75

Rogue Ales'
Hazelnut Brown Nectar
2.81/5.00

02-02-2013 17:11:22 | More by Jadjunk
Florida9

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A: Served with about a finger or so of whitish head. Brown to dark red in color. Clear.

S: Sweet semi-rancid malt. Loads of nuts.

T: Hazelnuts and toffee. Obscene amount of fatty, creamy nuttiness. Virtually no hops. Long, somewhat foul finish.

M: Medium in body with medium carbs. Nutty flavor sticks to the inside of the mouth.

D: As is obvious, I didn't care too much for this one. Luckily I handled it better than the wife who almost dry heaved on it. This beer reminds me of some watered down, malty version of Frangelico. However, if you like nuts in your mouth, this beer is for you.

09-02-2009 01:09:39 | More by Florida9
mbrown26

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think bitter is the right word, but it was just too bitter for my palate.

A: A nice amber color with a good brownish head the went away fairly quickly. A quality product.

S: I don't get any hazelnut notes, but there is definitely sweetness. Maybe Carmel?

T: Helps if this one warms a bit. This is a beer that is meant to be sipped and examined, instead of downed.

M: I like brown ales, but there is something about this one that just didn't do it for me on the palate. Had a weird taste that I can't describe. I've never had a hazelnut flavored beer and that could be my problem.

D: Again, since this didn't do it for me, the drinkability wasn't there for me. I had a hard time wanting to go back for more sips.

I can see why some would really enjoy this, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

11-01-2010 01:13:15 | More by mbrown26
mjw2808

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up very exciting to try another rogue beer. It pours a very nice dark reddish color with a slightly off white head that was very creamy. about 2 fingers. The nose is very very nutty with some malt. The only thing I get in the taste is a bunch of nuttieness. Maybe a slight bit of malt. The nuts overpowers the taste way too much. It is also way too sweet. It has a decent mouthfeel but not a great bit of drinability just because its way too sweet. Im a big fan of rogue, but this is the only beer by them Ive had that I would not recommend drinking. Way too sweet, not very complex. I was disappointed to be honest,

12-11-2010 05:35:22 | More by mjw2808
argock

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Served on-tap in a 16oz pint glass

Appearance: deep-reddish brown with thin cap of tan head and no lacing. Seems undercarbonated.

Smell: butterscotch and toffee with faint roasted odor with somewhat chemical fake hazelnut smell thrown in

Taste: Brown ale with some extra sweet extract nutty-caramel flavor. Nutty undertones are present but don't add much to cut the bland sweetness

Mouthfeel: Barely medium body, undercarbonated which gives it a watery feel overall.

Overall: I gave this a second try and liked it more than the first, but still not very much. The undercarbonation was odd and makes it feel too thin, and the chemical, extract flavoring is off-putting. I still contend this is one of Rogue's worst beers.

04-23-2007 01:50:22 | More by argock
goz

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pour is dark brown, with a thick tan head that quickly settles to light lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnut, backed up with lots of roasted and toasted malts. Flavor is overpowered with the hazelnut, quite sweet (maple syrup?), with a hint of the roasty malts peeking through at the end. Mouthfeel is full, a bit sticky.

02-25-2003 08:00:46 | More by goz
SaCkErZ9

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a dark, Guinness like reddish purple color. Lots of aromas swell the taste buds. A sort of fake hazelnut aroma with tons of toasted malts. Seems a bit too fake for me. And I love Rogue. Seems a bit overproduced for me. Not my favorite Rogue but not my worst. Iwould hope to find something a little less fake with hazelnut. Hows about you?!

Too sweet and fake to be drinkable. Feels like I am drinking some sweet ass coffee. Yuck.

03-12-2006 22:18:44 | More by SaCkErZ9