Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,385 | Hads: 3,898
3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too hazelnut forward and watery on the down swing. Also a little too sweet as well. Just not to my liking as much as it is to the rest of the bell curve.

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not my favourite style, but a good version of it. Nice nuttiness and a smooth roasted profile. The malts have good depth but I always wish that beers like this had a slightly more hoppy finish to really exhibit and enhance the malts.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

A: It has a dark red and brown when in direct light, which deepens in color when not in direct light resembling an almost red wine-like appearance. Has a clear consistency with a beige head that retains well.

S: A definite nutty smell that is blended with malt. There is a slight sweet smell that I couldn't wrangle though..

T: A nice roasted malt flavors that make me have to give praise to the name. The hazelnut plays through pretty plainly and you don't have to stress yourself to taste it. There are other components such as coffee, chocolate (lighter than dark), some hops, alcohol, and a slight sweet and acidic signature.

M: Much lighter than I expected. Smooth, somewhat oily, with light hints of carbonation. Nice crispness and bitterness at the end.

D: This is definitely a nut brown and has qualities that make it unique and worth trying. The flavors really open up, and I would recommend allowing them to do so because the get much better.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

Very nice dark brown color, but where's the head? It's nowhere to be seen. Great aroma of vanilla and chocolate, and hints of coffee, but I'm not getting hazelnut, nor any hops. Flavor closely matches, but also has a hint of marshmallow. Overall the flavor is too sweet, and the mouthfeel is decidedly slick and oily with low carbonation. The body of the beer is not appealing to me. I would not choose this one again.

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Drank this one as Morimoto Hazelnut Signature Ale, not sure if it's a different beer but given other reviewers description it might just be.

Tawny and amber, good clarity and fairly good head and lacing.

Grainy malt bill, sweet like kids breakfast cereal, touch of cardstock. Not much nuttiness to be found, some grassy hops and maybe pecans.

Very tight grain bill here tastes alot like a clean amber ale with some caramel and residual sugar. Balancing hops are grassy and bright herbal, slightly astringent and leaves a stronger bitter kick behind than anticipated. Like the nose very little hazelnut to be found.

Fairly drinkable, light body, a touch over carbonated and very dry for a beer I expected to have more sweetness and nutty qualities.

Couldn't find the hazelnuts, quite disappointed in that. Not sure if I drank this one too cold or it was just made this way. I will revisit this one eventually, see other reviewers tell me that my palate is off the mark.

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a clear, red-brown ale with a yellowish white head that vanishes quickly. It has a nutty aroma that's a touch sweet. It's light and lively on the tongue. It leaves the mouth a little chalky and numb. It has lots of hazelnut flavor, not sweet nor dry. There is just enough bitterness to make it drinkable. There's a huge hazelnut aftertaste. It really delivers the hazelnut, but it's quite a stretch to call it a "nectar". This is OK, but mildly disappointing by Rogue standards.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a light brown; To produce the head, I had to pour vigorously. no longevity to the suds, no lace on the glass.

Slight band-aid smell, behind that there are sweet malt notes of chocolate and crystal. Some buttery-ness, very low hop.

Very nice hazelnut flavor. Very sweet. Thick cream-like body with a below average carbonation (which accentuates the candy flavors). The hop used is strictly for spice, not balance. The aftertaste starts as honey sweetness that fades into a subtle hop flavor.

In my humble opinion, when compared to other Rogue beers, this one is a miss, although I love the creativity. Hazelnut flavors and aromas make this beer palatable. It's just that it could be so much better.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

When I saw this bottle with Chef Morimoto on it, and knowing my wife loves hazelnut, I figured I'd pick it up to try. Poured from a 22oz into three glasses that are probably better suited for pilsners, a nice one and a half finger foamy head erupted on top of a nice burnt amber, red highlighted body. My nhose picked up vanilla, oak and malt. There was very little hazel-nuttiness about this beer until I tasted it. Strong hazelnut in the back with not much else going on. I feel the smell was more complex than the actual taste of the beer. It was medium-bodied with medium carbonation and that warming alcohol sensation in the back. It's a kind of nice beer, but not my thing, not something I'd get hooked on.

3.29/5  rDev -19%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium to dark brown, maybe dark amber color. Pretty hazy. Only about a 1/2 finger tan head that goes away quickly, but still leaves nice lacing.

S: Just like a hazelnut coffee creamer. Some caramel, honey, and syrup. Very nutty aroma.

T: Nutty. Sweet. Caramel. Some light vanilla. Honey and coffee towards the end. The flavors don't blend all that great. You can even taste the water.

M: Way to thin. Not much else going on in the mouth except for thinness.

O: If this beer was thicker it may have added to the flavor profile. But I believe the consistency peels the flavors apart.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

I wasn't overly impressed by this brew. Pours out to a medium dark brown color with a small head of foam. No lace. Aromas of nuts, light malts, vanilla. Taste wasn't all that great for me. Some nuttiness was overturned on the palate with an array of flavors; vanilla bean, herbs, caramel, touches of leather. Too much going on, and not enough standing out. Mouthfeel was typical for a Brown Ale, rather calm with some syrupy element about itself. Fair drinkability. Worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

Well here's an interesting one... It poured very dark with absolutely no smell and no head.

The mouthfeel was weak, and there was very little taste at first. I wondered why on earth it was called "hazelnut" when it tasted more like water. Then I swallowed it and *BAM!* Hazelnut hit me completely outta nowhere. Weird.

Definitely a good session beer.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

Had this on tap at the local Mellow Mushroom the other night. Came out a dark tawny brown with no head on it at all. No lacing present either. Smells of nuts, brown sugar, molasses, and some vanilla.

The mouth is crisp, yet smooth. This is crisp, but it goes down mellow. You can definitely pull the hazelnut out of this beer. Very nutty at the start, but finishes very sweet. Tons of vanilla, syrup, and toasted sugar all over this beer. I like my browns to have a subtle sweetness, but this was a bit over the top. A decent dessert beer, but not my everyday brown.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a nearly transparent shade of ruby/amber, with a pretty creamy tan head of 1.5 fingers. Retention is average, though there's a good bit of lacing on the glass. Appealing.

S - Heavy, heavy crystal malt. Cream and light spice notes are present as well. It's slightly nutty, though I wouldn't necessarily pick it out as hazelnuts. Moderate strength and pretty generic.

T - The hazelnut works quite well, though I think it's a little more subdued than I'd like. Crystal malt and caramel form the majority of the taste, though there are faint hints of both toasted and roasted malt. There's a very mild hops bitterness. It's balanced extremely well though, as the nuttiness counters the sweet malts quite well. I don't find anything about it to be groundbreaking or remarkable, though it's a good beer.

M - Medium bodied, thick, and coarse.

D - I was expecting something more given the current ratings. It's a pretty good beer, and I like the nut flavor quite a bit, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Sampled at Brick Store Pub with the Atlanta B.A. crew. Hops and added flavour. Are browns needed? If I am going to have this, it might as well be on-tap. Colour-brown. I can see it appealing to some people and transitioning from coolers. A bit too much on the sweet side for my palate.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured a nice woody brown color with a cream-colored head. Some lacing around the glass.

This smells really good. I can smell hazelnut up front with some chocolate and malts in there too. Smells delicious.

Wow. Hazelnut. It hits you right up front, then some sweet chocolate malts, a little bit of cream, then once again a hazelnut finish. No bitterness whatsoever.

This is a thick, creamy beer that lingers on your palate a little. Not much carbonation is present.

Overall, a pretty decent beer. I'm not a huge hazelnut fan, but if you like hazelnut then you'll love this brew. True to the namesake.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Pour: Nice medium brown color with two fingers of off-white head that dissipated somewhat quickly into a small ring and left some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet/malty with hazelnut undertones, and a little bit of earthy hops.

Taste: Pretty light. Some malts up front, and the middle and back of the palate are dominated by the hazelnut flavor, sort of like coffee with a bunch of hazelnut coffee creamer. Finishes up with not much hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thinner than I was expecting given the ABV, though there is a certain creaminess to it.

Drinkability: Goes down pretty smooth and is refreshing.

Final Notes: This beer just isn't really doing it for me, for some reason. I probably won't be buying it again, but it's not a bad beer either. If you're into hazelnut flavored stuff, you'll probably like this beer.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

The gigantic (no, really) head is pale brown. The clear liquid is dark brown.

The mild smell got notes of nut crème, a touch of wet dog, roasted nuts and a mild bitter flavour.

The first taste is bitter. Notes of nut crème, but much more dry than the "real thing". Some sweetness and a fine bitterness. Hints of wood. The aftertaste is dry with notes of hops, crushed hazelnuts and a touch of phenols/soap.

The carbonation is mild, the small bubbles are smooth. The liquid is a little sticky.

Not the explosion of sweet nuts that I had hoped for. Still a good brown ale.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a medium brown color that is transparent most of the way. A bubbly tan head forms at the top of the glass. Smell is a nutty presence but mostly seems a bit off with some grain and corn type aroma. Taste does remind me a little bit of peanut butter. Mouth feeling is strange since this one is kind of watery and little carbonation.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is brown and mostly clear. Forms a decent sized head of small off white bubbles that leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks OK.

Aroma is simple and has this roastiness to it.

Beer is medium to light in body and has an almost ash like backward flavor it. Carbonation in the mouth is minimal but the beer is quite drinkable. No aftertaste. All and all its an average uninteresting beer.

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Served in a standard shaker at The Saucer. Pours a deep, pretty brown color with some ruby hues and limited light penetration. It lacks any head to speak of and leaves no lacing to the glass. The nose is a good strong, sweet malt with some woody, earthy hops undertones. It has a strong smell of toasted cereal and just a hint of that hazelnut. The flavor is just too much hazelnut to me. The hops do a good job of cutting down the double whammy of malty sweetness and the hazelnut, which in this case tastes almost like Starbucks hazelnut syrup has been added. Finishes dry with a pretty good palate feel. I hesitated to review this beer due to my growing distaste for hazelnut purely because I'm sick of all the flavored syrups at coffee bars. Therefore, I really tried to review this one with the style in mind first of all, and my palate second of all (which is what I try to do no matter what). I even when back for a second round just to finalize my thoughts. I really think that overall, the hazelnut was just too much and overwhelmed the natural malt goodness of a good brown.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A- cloudy light brown with a long lasting creamy white head
S- sweet and nutty
T- a little sweet, with maybe some hazelnut but it lacks the richness and depth of hazelnut. Or any other nuttiness. No hops noted. Not much roasted malt flavor that I would also expect from a brown ale.
M- a little thinner than I wanted. No carbonation.
O- not bad but sort of a one note song. Lacks the depth a brown should have.

3.37/5  rDev -17%

I messed up - I don’t like hazelnut, and asked if this one tasted like it. Nope was the answer. Well it does, what a surprise.

Oh well, clear and dark oak pour, surprisingly little head. Hazelnuts and caramel in the aroma and taste. Also noted some chocolate and coffee. I would have luved this one without the hazelnut extract.

Medium bodied. I won’t get this one again, but because of the hazelnuts – did I mention I the hazelnuts nauseate me?

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer arrived brown with rusty undertones, wearing a beige head with slight retention and lacing. The aroma consisted of caramel malt, hazelnut, vanilla, coco, and tobacco.

The flavor is nutty, predominantly hazelnut, as one would expect, with a trace of bright beery, sweet caramel malt, and a light dash of syrup.

The mouth is light to medium, a little bright on the front, dry semi-dry and nutty on the finish. It's drinkable, but after sampling it both on-tap and in the bottle, I doubt I will give it another taste. I think it was better overall in the bottle--better carbonation and complexity. But it failed to knock my socks off in either format. I would suggest looking elsewhere in the Rogue catalogue.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz into a snifter. Pours a clear ruby amber w/ a minimal head that dissipates quickly to a thin film, then disappears almost completely. Moderate carb rises from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma has a light roasty nuttiness I can't quite ID, must be the hazelnut. Not getting much, and this beer is not cold.

Taste has the same roasty hazelnut character as the nose. Some sweet caramelly malt blends with the slightly bitter roast, a hint of cinnamon. Dry bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but balanced. Maybe a little prickly.

Overall, I'm not really sure what to make of this one. If you're crazy about hazelnut, maybe this is your desert island beer. For me though, there's just not much here to latch onto. I almost feel like I got a bad bottle because this is just disappointing and... meh. It's not bad, I was just hoping for more.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Well lookie here: A big bomber gives up the ghost with mahogany brown hues topped off by 1/4" of craggy dark khaki head cap.

Oooo that smell: Waffles and syrup scents lightly meander to the nose. Sweet caramel and fuzzy cocoa malts.

Tastes like chicken: Sugary Maple syrup flavors overtake the palate. Buttery taste with some light pecan nuttiness and delicate cinnamon. Lingering spice cake like flavors stick around for a bit. Leaves a hazy fuzzy feel with cocoa and light chocolate notes.

Can ya feel it? Medium bodied with s sticky lip smackin' sugary tack.

Gas 'n go: If there is a better brown out there , I'd be curious to try it. That being said, this is a good brown but on dimensional and cloying. I won't try this again, but it was cool to try. Forgetable, but not regreatable and edible.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales