Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros

Rogue Brewing Hazelnut Brown Ale

T- ¾ inch thick foam, nice rich brown color.

S- Nice malty, sweet caramel smell.

T- First strikes me with balanced malt and the sweetness of the caramel, with just a hint of earth. Nice woody after taste. Mid palate there is nice dark fruit, fig or plum? After my first couple of sips I thought it might be too much for a bomber, but it surprisingly drinks very smoothly. This was a fun beer to run into, so earthy and malty. I keep looking for hazelnut, however even without it this is a killer beer. Very impressive!

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

A-pours a deep reddish-brown with thick khaki head the slowly dissipates into a well retained lace

S-mild chocolate and an earthiness I can put my finger on what exactly

T- this was the disappointing part, I get no hazelnut at all, I get a very plain no frills brown ale, which is good but not what I was expecting.

M- thinner then expected and over carbonated for my taste

O- good beer but not what I was expecting

2.02/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours a ever-so-slightly hazy coppery brown.The haziness is like the first bits of fog building up, enough to notice but not so much that it keeps the light from getting through. Beautiful, creamy tan head has great retention eventually dropping to a thick creamy film. Good lace.

Smell is ...weird and not in a good way. A combination of dry cardboard and nearly rancid nutmeats with some dirt mixed in. Not good. It's a pretty strong presence as well. I have 2 more bottles so here's hoping it just this one.

Taste is burnt malt, that funky nutmeat stank note and nothing else. Score is a little higher here than the smell received because it isn't so harsh and there is better balance (though not too much to actually balance with just two notes).

Medium bodied at best with a light, almost too light, effervescence. Smooth but nothing really appealing here. I won't drain pour it (it ain't warm Falstaff or Corona) but the thought is running around in my head like a 6 year old on Halloween.

I am really disappointed with this one. I love me some hazelnuts (aka filberts) and browns are a favorite style but I know Rogue is a crap shoot when I bought it. Been drinking their stuff for 10 years or more. I had Voodoo Maple Bacon again last week (SO GOOD!) and I've got a bomber of Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana chilling for a couple of weeks from now. The Shakespeare, FestiveAle, Chocolate & Double Choc. stouts, Dead Guy and Glen were great, too. The American Amber, XS Imp. Porter were very far from. The rest are middling offerings. But with such high ratings from over 2000 people I expected better from this one. I've two more bottles sitting in the fridge. If they prove better I'll gladly amend this review (like always) but if your still looking at this in Sept. 2013 or beyond, they were just as bad.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - pours a deep deep brown with a reddish tint. Beautiful brown/yellow tinted head, nice retention and lacing.

S - Sweet caramel, mild chocolates, brown sugar and nuttyness. Slightly faint

T - sweet light caramel malts transition into even sweeter brown sugar and hazelnut flavors. Nice sweetness and the nuttyness really keeps up! Slight roasty with slightly grassy hops and smooth tame bitterness come through at the finish.

M - pretty well carbonated and fairly light. Very enjoyable to drink

O - nutty and sweet flavors are perfectly bold given the light body and drinkability. Fantastic balance of flavor and feel

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%