Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,815
4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice nut brown color with a tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnuts in it. I was floored by the hazelnut and roasted malty combination. Slight maple syrup flavor as well. all of this is ballanced with some nice noble hops. I had given up on brown ales as being to boring, but now I an prompted to go out an brew one for myself. (336 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with little to no head.

Smell: I really liked the smell. Smells of roasted malts and the hazelnut really sticks out. Interesting.

Taste: Hazelnut! It's actually very good and complements the malts. There is a little bitterness but not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel: It's a lot less watery than most browns I've tried. Good carbonation too. Not thin at all either.

Drinkability: While I like the taste, I don't think I could drink much of it. I'm splitting the bottle with my friend and I think that's enough for me. Too much nuts to drink in excess. (590 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Rich brown in color; not quite dark brown but not an amber. To achieve any head at all requires an improper pour. Mouthfeel is ok; has a good flavor but not much complexity. Reminds me of a typical dark domestic macro brew. Has a pleasant nutty, yet watery aftertaste. Yes its very drinkable and light enough to drink more than one. The problem with this beer is it probably won't appeal to dark beer drinkers nor the pilsner drinker. Good allaround beer, best described as the Jan Brady of Rogue beers. (503 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Consumed on 4/19/09. Poured bottle into pint glass.

Nice carbonated light brown, with relatively minimal head. Smells nice and sweet, with caramel, toffee and honey dominating the scent. Taste largely reflects the smell, and is light and a little malty. A little bit syrupy, but tremendously drinkable and a wonderful session brew. (332 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In the glass a deep brown with a nice head.
I didn't get to the aroma much I have to confess. I was at a party and was busy meeting lots of people.
The taste of the beer hit me from the first sip though.
This had more body and flavour to it than any brown ale I'd had while on the holiday I was on, and there'd been a good half dozen or so.
The flavour was rich, with nuttiness and chocolate malt throughout.
The mouthfeel was lovely and smooth.
I would rate the drinkability as I didn't find it as sweet as some other reviews here seem to suggest. I could have downed a few of these (In fact I did get it again to give to my father in law whose quite fond of a brown ale)

This rates as the best brown ale I've ever tried, hands down. (746 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on tap at the Rogue Public House, San Francisco

A: Poured a lovely deep copper colour, with an exceptional head. A really attractive beer that looked like a promo shot.

S: Toasted malts, toffee, and of course, hazelnuts...

T: VERY tasty. Begins with hazelnuts and toffee sweetness, almost like a candy bar for the first moment, but recedes into lovely toasted grains. The sweetness lasted throughout, making it not bitter at all.

MF/D: Decently solid, nice carbonation. It's not the greatest beer to hold in your mouth, certainly not the worst. But it goes down beautifully, and is extremely drinkable. Very well balanced, and a must to try. (For an interesting beverage, ask for a black and tan with this and their chocolate stout!) (745 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown Nectar is one of those beers I get excited about no matter how many times I've had it, and whether it's coming to me from a bottle or on-tap. Every time I have this beer it's like a pick-me-up, my mood goes from whatever to great in a matter of sips. Strong hazelnut flavor, from a rich translucent brown body with medium carbonation and foamy head. I highly recommend drinking Brown Nectar in a bathtub or in the hot sun, highly refreshing, crisp, sweet, nutty taste. From my experience this seems to be the case with Rogue, they don't make any crazy zany beers of experimental styles or in the hazy realm of deep palate tasting notes. Rogue makes good-ass beers, in whatever department they chose. They may not be the craziest, or the finest, but DAMMIT they're the beerest (coining that phrase, btw.) (809 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bomber.

A: Very deep honey color. 1 1/2 finger head that lingers. Nice and creamy.

S: Very nutty and sweet. Can't miss the "nectar"!

T: Slight hops in the finish. Not as sweet as expected, lots of roasted goodness! Strong hazelnut.

M: A little chewy.... but has an almost rootbeer feel to it. Very smooth.

O: A great brown, truly hard to match. I would love to try it on draft! (396 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head with little retention and moderate lacing. Smell is filled with delicious hazelnut and sweet, grainy malts without many hop notes. Taste is a little underwhelming after the promising aroma, but bready dark malts mix with a creamy nuttiness in a subdued manner that could use a little enhancement. Slight hop notes and a mild lasting bitterness complete each sip. Feels a little thin in the mouth and displays moderate carbonation.

I really enjoy Rogue, but I wish the flavor was a little more intense as the thin mouthfeel kind of diminishes the overall impact. Buff up the body and taste and you'd have something great -- but still, without a doubt a very good beer. (708 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a dark brown with a tan colored head

S- Malty and Nutty

T- This is my favorite brown ale by far! Malty, nutty and sweet but balanced with a little hops. It’s the hops that makes this my favorite brown ale because it just helps balance out the malts; but its still a good malty beer overall that has a medium body.

Food Pairing- Cheeseburger or BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (383 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

I really like this offering from Rogue. It is very unique to say the least. A beautiful glass of beer that is dark brown with a very thin, lacy head. Smell is very nice...yep, hazelnut, and just an overall 'nutty' smell. A fairly strong aroma. Taste is again 'nutty' and very malty as well. A somewhat carbonated mouthfeel, but its not too much. I'm actually reviewing this from my notes of a couple of days ago, and I had a question mark beside my 3.5 mouthfeel rating. I was comtemplating going a notch higher, but decided to leave it as is. I'll certainly be having another, and if this rating changes, I'll update it. A very drinkable, complex, and 'different' Rogue that is very enjoyable. (694 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Served out of a 22 oz brown bottle into a chimay chalice.

This beer pours a deep carmel color with a 1/2 inch head. You can smell the hazelnuts in this brew and some other nuttyness mabey almonds.

Taste is malty no real noticable hops here a bit bitter on the finish. The head dissapears fairly quickly with minimal lacing. A medium bodied beer but very tasty. The taste of the nuts really explodes in your mouth. A good desert beer. If I can find this brew again I will buy some more for sure. (500 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A- At first glance, it appeared to pour a dark brown color, but hold it up the light and it is a nice deep red tint. Also, if poured correctly, it leaves a nice head that leaves an even lace around the glass.

S- Really nice hazelnut, chocolate, caramel, and perhaps some coffee hints. Sweet, one of the better smelling beers for sure.

T- Tastes very similar to the smell. Nutty with roasted malts. Sweet with some coffee hints.

M- Medium body, perfect for the type of ale. Some people say it feels watery, but I don't think so all. Some moderate carbonation. Not very hoppy, but excellent balance. Strong roasted malts.

D- Very good, however I had a 22 ounce bottle and I think that may be enough. Not a beer I would ever want to session with, but definitely a great dessert beer (785 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Pours a light brown (capuccino) color head of about 2 fingers tall with a little lace that leaves faint traces in the glass. The beer is a pretty copper reddish brown color and quite opaque.

S - Nuts and some smokey scents. Roasted malts, perhaps.

T - Nuts, obviously, they're definitely there along with roasted malts, coffee and a hint of alcohol at the end.

M - Smooth, crisp, refreshing and low carbonation makes for a good mix of textures and flavors that leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I would gladly have it again. Reminds me of the Bohemia Chocolate Stout (but only because I had this one first) but better in every way. Leaves you with a pleasant aftertaste in the back of your mouth wanting another one, which is possible thanks to its ABV and flavor. (773 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Mmm hazelnuts. That is what this beer is all about. If you like hazelnuts, you should like this. Expert craftsmanship by Rogue follows in the beer overall. Buy it. (163 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

A beautiful pour. Dark reddish brown with a nice tan head,Lovely to look at.Malt and some gentle hops on the nose.Not alot of hazelnut on first whifff.Sip it and there is a nice full,rounded malt.Then a quick hop note,followed by warm nutted malt,drifting to a gentle quick finish.
As it warms I detect more hazelnut in the nose.The head thins out yet remains.Now more dark malt has arrived and the finish lingers a bit longer,with some more hops on the scene. Very nice this one.An easy to take relaxing beer.Morimoto san should be happy to have his name on this . (567 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%

This is a very easy to drink beer, I often buy at my local. For some reason its the only Rogue they sell. Pours a deep amber, the nose is very fruity. This beer tells me to relax. Nice and malty, I have tis beer close to me when I need it. Good brew. (250 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

What a weird beer, I would consider it a cartoon beer more then a brown ale. Just has a weird taste to it that isnt normal.

Appearance is goot , kinda like darkish brown with a tin of light to it. Makes you wanna drink it just looking at it.

Smell is goot , kinda more like ice cream? or something cartoonish about it , its a goot smell but doesnt smell like a beer.

Taste is nice as well, you tasty the Hazenut/Nectar too it , that stands out most of all/ like I am saying it doesnt say like a normal brown ale. Its a novilty beer from a cartoon.

I dont think I could drink alot of this stuff just because its not a normal beer, Id much rather drink a simple brown ale other then this.

Overall one of these a night if your feel a bit weird and want something that stands out. (792 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a gorgeous rich burgundy, with a creamy head that is on the small side but sticks around. The aroma is phenomenal - nut, cocoa, vanilla, malty sweetness. Incredibly inviting. It tastes almost as sweet as it smells, which hinders the drinkability a bit but is presumably in line with the brewer's (reasonable) intentions for the style. The nut (vanilla-ish) flavor is heavily evident, with some chocolate highlights, sweet and roasted malts, and very mild (appropriately so) hop bitterness at the end.

I'm naturally suspicious of brown ales - that they will be thin in both body and taste (not to mention spirit), but Rogue's inspires me to keep the faith. Hopefully more American brewers will take on the brown ale challenge. (732 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Nice reddish brown color with a tan head.

Woody, sweet aroma.

Taste is good. Malty with some hazelnut. Very mild bitterness. I also detect a little something spicy, not sure what that's from.

Has a good level of carbonation, but overall seems a little thin to me. Could use a little more residual sugar I think.

Not sure I would have again on it's own, but perhaps paired with the appropriate cheese or something it would be worth revisiting. (446 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%

A: pours a medium light brown with amber and reddish tones around the edges. Good carbonation, nice head with large bubbles that quickly dissipates. Average lacing that recedes fairly quickly.

S: Very strong smell of hazelnut, wood, vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch. One of the most unique and appealing noses I've ever experienced in a beer, particularly in a nut brown ale.

T: Sweet hazelnut with a nicely balanced mixture of the aforementioned flavors and mild hoppy bitterness toward the end. The taste isn't quite as remarkable as the nose, but is still good.

M: medium bodied and smooth. Very drinkable. I could drink about as much of this as guy on the label. (A lot)

O: very unique within the style. Sweeter and more distinguished than any other nut brown ale I've had, which admittedly isn't all that many. I'll be buying this one again and I'd recommend you give it a try. (888 characters)

This Rogue is dark brown with hints of red and a prominent head. The aroma is not surprisingly of nuts (hazelnuts?) and chocolate malt. I'm a little disappointed in the taste - it seems a little thin, as if it is too reliant on the added hazelnut flavor. It's good, don't get me wrong, but lacks the dimension of Samuel Smith's Brown Ale or other Rogue brews. (359 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer has a very nice color it pours a medium to dark brown. It has a nice almond color head.

The smell of hazelnut is definitely present. Great smell.

The taste is somewhat sweet but not too bad. Its almost like having a dessert.

The draft version of this beer is better than the bottle. the bottle almost tasted a little watered down.

Overall a great beer. Drink on! (377 characters)

Review from notes from Jan 13, courtesy of infi
Dark copper that was opaque. Little to no lacing with little carbonation bubbles. Poured with a 2 finger head that retreated quite quickly. Looked like a tasty brew from my point of view. Smells of hazelnut like in my coffee. Subtle, but definitely there. Something that I took a liking to. Also there were a back hint of brown sugars and malts.
Upon drinking this, it was a blend of Hazelnut, brown sugar, malt and maybe a hint of spice thrown in. The aftertaste had a short stay. This was a very subtle kind of beer for me as I'm used to much more stronger flavors being in your face, but this is something I can really take a liking to. Light bodied and medium cabonation. (726 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%

A - I was impressed when i poured the beer. nice brown dense color, almost going to dark red. Light head, didnt last to long.

S - not impressed at all. i was hoping a better kick of nutty essence. normal brown ale.

T - Roasted malt, with caramel. A light essence of nuts,(hazelnut? ). very simple flavor.

M - Clear, watery, light. very thin beer. light carbonation. easy to swallow and savory.

O - Good brown ale, but i was expecting more thanks the advertising behind the beer. I would try it again, but its not my favorite. (529 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales