Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,377 | Hads: 3,838
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours dark brown with shades of amber, brilliantly clear with a thin head that lingers. The aroma is very nice malty, sweet, nutty with very little hop aroma coming out very characteristic of a nut brown ale. The aroma is complex but melds very well together no one element overpowers another. The flavor is very sweet up front, almost a little cloying which is why i docked it a little in the taste category. A lot of malty, bready, toasty notes in the flavor, also some roasty flavors come out in the back of the mouth. Medium bodied with some good carbonation to scrub the palate with the low level of bitterness. With all that said a very nice brown ale probably one of the best I've had, very complex only complaint is that it's a little sweet. (749 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

One of My favorite Brown Ales. This was the first Rogue beer I had the pleasure of tasting. This beer has a fantastic aroma - hazelnut, caramel, chocolate. Very smooth nutty flavor and a clean malty finish. A very well balanced brew. If you are a fan of Brown Ales you must try this one. (287 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a nice light brown with a golden color in the light.

The smell is of nice nutmeg and carmel with hops in the back ground real nice.

The taste is amazing light and sweet. Nutmeg is definitely in the front with caramel and hop bitterness in the back this is a great beer probably one of my all time favorites. Just crisp clean and an all around great brown ale.

The mouthfeel is light and esay to put away great session beer. (432 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Browish bronze color which seems slightly hazy. An off white 1 1/2 finger width head with slight orange tint. Now the head has reduced to about 3/4 finger width but seems to be holding. Okay, I just finished mentioning that stuff about detecting peanut butter notes in the aroma and the head has reduced to 1/2 finger but is still holding.

S - First thoughts: Wow!... This is a nice aroma. Sweet and nutty - like those maple nut chews you get from those shopping mall confectioners. Is that a buttery undertone I am detecting? Some peanut butter notes.

T & M - Getting a nutty taste on the front end with something like roasted coffee in the finish. Gathering some maple syrup in the middle. Mildly sweet, not in a Belgian Quad kinda way but more like iced tea with just enough sugar to kill that bitterness, but no more. Smooth finish characterized by a faint bitter character. Has that strange and nearly alcoholy after taste that I've noticed when eating hazelnuts. All this goes along with a mild carbonation and a subtle creamy texture.

D- Great. Gulp, swallow, gulp, swallow.... (1,090 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from the tap, has a nice viscous brown semi-transparent brown with a off white head that leaves ok lacing.

S: lots of sweet malt, carmel, hops and of course hazelnuts.

T: follows the nose, great carmel sweetness is blends well with the nutty hazelnuts and ends with a twang of hoppy bite,

M: pretty light, lighter than most brown ales ive had, i think its because of the carbonation

O: a solid brown ale, deff will be buying this again. (447 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice nut brown color with a tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnuts in it. I was floored by the hazelnut and roasted malty combination. Slight maple syrup flavor as well. all of this is ballanced with some nice noble hops. I had given up on brown ales as being to boring, but now I an prompted to go out an brew one for myself. (336 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with little to no head.

Smell: I really liked the smell. Smells of roasted malts and the hazelnut really sticks out. Interesting.

Taste: Hazelnut! It's actually very good and complements the malts. There is a little bitterness but not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel: It's a lot less watery than most browns I've tried. Good carbonation too. Not thin at all either.

Drinkability: While I like the taste, I don't think I could drink much of it. I'm splitting the bottle with my friend and I think that's enough for me. Too much nuts to drink in excess. (590 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Rich brown in color; not quite dark brown but not an amber. To achieve any head at all requires an improper pour. Mouthfeel is ok; has a good flavor but not much complexity. Reminds me of a typical dark domestic macro brew. Has a pleasant nutty, yet watery aftertaste. Yes its very drinkable and light enough to drink more than one. The problem with this beer is it probably won't appeal to dark beer drinkers nor the pilsner drinker. Good allaround beer, best described as the Jan Brady of Rogue beers. (503 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Consumed on 4/19/09. Poured bottle into pint glass.

Nice carbonated light brown, with relatively minimal head. Smells nice and sweet, with caramel, toffee and honey dominating the scent. Taste largely reflects the smell, and is light and a little malty. A little bit syrupy, but tremendously drinkable and a wonderful session brew. (332 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In the glass a deep brown with a nice head.
I didn't get to the aroma much I have to confess. I was at a party and was busy meeting lots of people.
The taste of the beer hit me from the first sip though.
This had more body and flavour to it than any brown ale I'd had while on the holiday I was on, and there'd been a good half dozen or so.
The flavour was rich, with nuttiness and chocolate malt throughout.
The mouthfeel was lovely and smooth.
I would rate the drinkability as I didn't find it as sweet as some other reviews here seem to suggest. I could have downed a few of these (In fact I did get it again to give to my father in law whose quite fond of a brown ale)

This rates as the best brown ale I've ever tried, hands down. (746 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on tap at the Rogue Public House, San Francisco

A: Poured a lovely deep copper colour, with an exceptional head. A really attractive beer that looked like a promo shot.

S: Toasted malts, toffee, and of course, hazelnuts...

T: VERY tasty. Begins with hazelnuts and toffee sweetness, almost like a candy bar for the first moment, but recedes into lovely toasted grains. The sweetness lasted throughout, making it not bitter at all.

MF/D: Decently solid, nice carbonation. It's not the greatest beer to hold in your mouth, certainly not the worst. But it goes down beautifully, and is extremely drinkable. Very well balanced, and a must to try. (For an interesting beverage, ask for a black and tan with this and their chocolate stout!) (745 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown Nectar is one of those beers I get excited about no matter how many times I've had it, and whether it's coming to me from a bottle or on-tap. Every time I have this beer it's like a pick-me-up, my mood goes from whatever to great in a matter of sips. Strong hazelnut flavor, from a rich translucent brown body with medium carbonation and foamy head. I highly recommend drinking Brown Nectar in a bathtub or in the hot sun, highly refreshing, crisp, sweet, nutty taste. From my experience this seems to be the case with Rogue, they don't make any crazy zany beers of experimental styles or in the hazy realm of deep palate tasting notes. Rogue makes good-ass beers, in whatever department they chose. They may not be the craziest, or the finest, but DAMMIT they're the beerest (coining that phrase, btw.) (809 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bomber.

A: Very deep honey color. 1 1/2 finger head that lingers. Nice and creamy.

S: Very nutty and sweet. Can't miss the "nectar"!

T: Slight hops in the finish. Not as sweet as expected, lots of roasted goodness! Strong hazelnut.

M: A little chewy.... but has an almost rootbeer feel to it. Very smooth.

O: A great brown, truly hard to match. I would love to try it on draft! (396 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head with little retention and moderate lacing. Smell is filled with delicious hazelnut and sweet, grainy malts without many hop notes. Taste is a little underwhelming after the promising aroma, but bready dark malts mix with a creamy nuttiness in a subdued manner that could use a little enhancement. Slight hop notes and a mild lasting bitterness complete each sip. Feels a little thin in the mouth and displays moderate carbonation.

I really enjoy Rogue, but I wish the flavor was a little more intense as the thin mouthfeel kind of diminishes the overall impact. Buff up the body and taste and you'd have something great -- but still, without a doubt a very good beer. (708 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a dark brown with a tan colored head

S- Malty and Nutty

T- This is my favorite brown ale by far! Malty, nutty and sweet but balanced with a little hops. It’s the hops that makes this my favorite brown ale because it just helps balance out the malts; but its still a good malty beer overall that has a medium body.

Food Pairing- Cheeseburger or BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (383 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

I really like this offering from Rogue. It is very unique to say the least. A beautiful glass of beer that is dark brown with a very thin, lacy head. Smell is very nice...yep, hazelnut, and just an overall 'nutty' smell. A fairly strong aroma. Taste is again 'nutty' and very malty as well. A somewhat carbonated mouthfeel, but its not too much. I'm actually reviewing this from my notes of a couple of days ago, and I had a question mark beside my 3.5 mouthfeel rating. I was comtemplating going a notch higher, but decided to leave it as is. I'll certainly be having another, and if this rating changes, I'll update it. A very drinkable, complex, and 'different' Rogue that is very enjoyable. (694 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Served out of a 22 oz brown bottle into a chimay chalice.

This beer pours a deep carmel color with a 1/2 inch head. You can smell the hazelnuts in this brew and some other nuttyness mabey almonds.

Taste is malty no real noticable hops here a bit bitter on the finish. The head dissapears fairly quickly with minimal lacing. A medium bodied beer but very tasty. The taste of the nuts really explodes in your mouth. A good desert beer. If I can find this brew again I will buy some more for sure. (500 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A- At first glance, it appeared to pour a dark brown color, but hold it up the light and it is a nice deep red tint. Also, if poured correctly, it leaves a nice head that leaves an even lace around the glass.

S- Really nice hazelnut, chocolate, caramel, and perhaps some coffee hints. Sweet, one of the better smelling beers for sure.

T- Tastes very similar to the smell. Nutty with roasted malts. Sweet with some coffee hints.

M- Medium body, perfect for the type of ale. Some people say it feels watery, but I don't think so all. Some moderate carbonation. Not very hoppy, but excellent balance. Strong roasted malts.

D- Very good, however I had a 22 ounce bottle and I think that may be enough. Not a beer I would ever want to session with, but definitely a great dessert beer (785 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Pours a light brown (capuccino) color head of about 2 fingers tall with a little lace that leaves faint traces in the glass. The beer is a pretty copper reddish brown color and quite opaque.

S - Nuts and some smokey scents. Roasted malts, perhaps.

T - Nuts, obviously, they're definitely there along with roasted malts, coffee and a hint of alcohol at the end.

M - Smooth, crisp, refreshing and low carbonation makes for a good mix of textures and flavors that leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I would gladly have it again. Reminds me of the Bohemia Chocolate Stout (but only because I had this one first) but better in every way. Leaves you with a pleasant aftertaste in the back of your mouth wanting another one, which is possible thanks to its ABV and flavor. (773 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Mmm hazelnuts. That is what this beer is all about. If you like hazelnuts, you should like this. Expert craftsmanship by Rogue follows in the beer overall. Buy it. (163 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

A beautiful pour. Dark reddish brown with a nice tan head,Lovely to look at.Malt and some gentle hops on the nose.Not alot of hazelnut on first whifff.Sip it and there is a nice full,rounded malt.Then a quick hop note,followed by warm nutted malt,drifting to a gentle quick finish.
As it warms I detect more hazelnut in the nose.The head thins out yet remains.Now more dark malt has arrived and the finish lingers a bit longer,with some more hops on the scene. Very nice this one.An easy to take relaxing beer.Morimoto san should be happy to have his name on this . (567 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%

This is a very easy to drink beer, I often buy at my local. For some reason its the only Rogue they sell. Pours a deep amber, the nose is very fruity. This beer tells me to relax. Nice and malty, I have tis beer close to me when I need it. Good brew. (250 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

What a weird beer, I would consider it a cartoon beer more then a brown ale. Just has a weird taste to it that isnt normal.

Appearance is goot , kinda like darkish brown with a tin of light to it. Makes you wanna drink it just looking at it.

Smell is goot , kinda more like ice cream? or something cartoonish about it , its a goot smell but doesnt smell like a beer.

Taste is nice as well, you tasty the Hazenut/Nectar too it , that stands out most of all/ like I am saying it doesnt say like a normal brown ale. Its a novilty beer from a cartoon.

I dont think I could drink alot of this stuff just because its not a normal beer, Id much rather drink a simple brown ale other then this.

Overall one of these a night if your feel a bit weird and want something that stands out. (792 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a gorgeous rich burgundy, with a creamy head that is on the small side but sticks around. The aroma is phenomenal - nut, cocoa, vanilla, malty sweetness. Incredibly inviting. It tastes almost as sweet as it smells, which hinders the drinkability a bit but is presumably in line with the brewer's (reasonable) intentions for the style. The nut (vanilla-ish) flavor is heavily evident, with some chocolate highlights, sweet and roasted malts, and very mild (appropriately so) hop bitterness at the end.

I'm naturally suspicious of brown ales - that they will be thin in both body and taste (not to mention spirit), but Rogue's inspires me to keep the faith. Hopefully more American brewers will take on the brown ale challenge. (732 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Nice reddish brown color with a tan head.

Woody, sweet aroma.

Taste is good. Malty with some hazelnut. Very mild bitterness. I also detect a little something spicy, not sure what that's from.

Has a good level of carbonation, but overall seems a little thin to me. Could use a little more residual sugar I think.

Not sure I would have again on it's own, but perhaps paired with the appropriate cheese or something it would be worth revisiting. (446 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales