Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,776 | Reviews: 1,404
4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Glass used: Guinness pint glass

Dark brown color with a light fluffy head.

Nose is mostly dominated by hazelnut.

This beer has an amazing hazelnut flavor with caramel notes through out and a really satisfying chocolate finish. My favorite brown ale.

Nice medium mouth feel with a smooth soft carbonation.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation - 22 oz. bomber with Morimota signature. Once again, great bottle from Rogue. $4 at the Wine Seller in Williamsburg, VA

Appearance - decently thick, frothy tan head, dissipates to a decent film across the top. Dark brown hue, fairly opaque, copper tints.

Aroma - powerful, very nutty. I have to presume hazelnut, though I am not exactly sure what that smells like. Nice earthy, roasted aroma. Strong and very interesting, but perhaps a bit off-putting, though that could just be personal taste rather than a fault of the beer.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, nothing in particular. Carbonation was good, but maybe a bit strong. Doesn't really matter.

Taste - good, biting carbonation up front. Dissipates into a strong roasted malt and mostly nutty flavor at the back of the tounge. Very robust flavor. Settles down a bit leaving a slighty sweet malty flavor, feels like some chocolate malts as well.

Overall a pretty interesting, fairly aggressive brew. Admittedly hard for me to judge because I have had very little experience with brown ales. In any case, very drinkable, wish I had another.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

An impressive dessert beer. Probably a bit too cloying for a session, but a nice, not-too-hopped offering from Rogue. I would expect it to be a bit nuttier but that wasn't so important for matching the pumpkin tiramisu I paired it with!

Poured into a red/white wine glass. Medium brown, good-sized tan head which didn't last all that long.

I mostly smell lots of roasted nuts, vanilla, some cream, caramel, a little chocolate, a bit of biscuit, but really no fruit.

Taste pretty much matches. Just a bit of hop bite reminiscent of bitter chocolate / roasted nuts, but not astringent. Definitely an interesting take on the "nut brown" style. Well rounded out with malt depth.

Medium mouthfeel. I probably could have had it a little warmer. Finish is not too long, but interrupted by some hop bitterness.

I surely drank too much of this one. I wouldn't drink it all night, but splitting a bomber for a dessert would work fine. Not sure about matching it with chocolate.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

What an interesting brown ale. Always love their bottles. so i picked this up from my farm fresh for 5.99 a bottle. chilled it in the fridge and did a video review for youtube "sauce beer reviews".

A- Alot lighter than i expected. Bubbly. Somewhat clear. (i have strong lights on when i make a video review) That may have altered its look. check it out i do a bad pour.

S- nutty smell. some sweet notes.

T-nutty taste, with roasted or toasted malts. caramel if im not mistaken?

M- pretty smooth and crisp.

D- very easy IMO

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

To tell you the truth, I was a little skeptical about this beer. Firstly, I am not a huge fan of hazelnut, and secondly, I thought the beer was going to be to sweet. Since a friend of mine offered it to me, how could I refuse free beer:) Pouring it into a tulip glass, a reddish brown color appearance to fill the glass. Putting the glass to my nose, the aroma was very nutty. I took my first sip and before I knew it, it was also my last sip, because I drank it all in one swig:) It was that good! I was pleasantly surprised because of my previous misconceptions about this brew! This beer will be a mainstay in my frig for a while!

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Some artificial flavors on the nose, but overall a tasty brew for a cold December evening

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Unfortunately, I drank this as part of Brewer's Night at Latona Tavern in Seattle -- this was one of several Rogue beers I had. I can't give a proper review, as I didn't take notes while drinking it. However, it was the first and only time this beer will be served cask aged, and I couldn't let that occasion pass without note.

The main thing I can comment on is the flavor: nutty, definite hazelnut taste, but without coming across as a gimmicky beer. That is, the hazelnut blends right in to the maltiness and hoppiness of the beer without seeming like an adjunct. Medium body (that is, it didn't stand out in my mind as too thin or too heavy) and an uncertain color--Latona's lighting is not the best--round out what is certain to be the most unique beer you've tasted in a while. Recommend you have this with chocolate and maybe some butter wafers to get the full effect; I can't imagine strawberry or raspberry preserves would detract, either.

Likes: flavor, mouthfeel, appearance.

Dislikes: limited availability :)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

A - a nice light brown color with minimal head

S - you can definitely smell the hazelnuts in this one

T - Hazelnuts and some roasted oats perhaps

M - surprisingly smooth. almost not enough there.

D - i'm not a huge fan of hazelnuts. but this one was better than i expected.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Hard to believe that we got this beer here in Bishop! As noted by others, this seems very similar to the Hazelnut Brown.

First pour shows a darker than expected amber tinted brown ale with a creamy tan head. Aroma is malty with a noticable nuttiness and the tiniest hints of citrus/spice and coffee.

Initial taste is sweet, soft and malty. The sweetness quickly resolves into noticable hazelnut flavours while the softness gives way to chocolate covered fruit notes. While the beer is undeniably sweet, there is a nice bite that builds throughout the flavour to eventually dominate the finish. Even there, however, the flavours are balanced - with some toasted oak and fruit to liven the palette.

It's no shock that a speciality beer branded for a Sushi chef would taste good with fish - but I have to admit I was surprised at how well a Hazelnut beer worked with fish. This is a good example of the style and a pleasant while perhaps not extraordinary in any way beer.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark brown
Smell: Malts and caramel
Taste: Slight hops and malts
Mouthfeel: Light bodied
Drinkability: A pleasant beer but not as good as I expected. Not saying I was disappointed, I was just expecting better. I would drink again if offered, I simply would not seek this beer out..

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Nice dark chocolate amber color with a slight head that disappears soon after the first pour.

S- Coffee and Chocolate smells with earthy tones.

T- Big Hazelnut and Chocolate Coffee taste.

M- Nice but not too smooth. Nice carbination, but could stand a bit less of the bubblies.

D- Great all around beer for fall or winter, or hell even breakfast.

If you havent tried this one, it is well worth picking up and kicking the tires. You might even want to take it out for another spin around the block.

Wavz

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours dark brown with shades of amber, brilliantly clear with a thin head that lingers. The aroma is very nice malty, sweet, nutty with very little hop aroma coming out very characteristic of a nut brown ale. The aroma is complex but melds very well together no one element overpowers another. The flavor is very sweet up front, almost a little cloying which is why i docked it a little in the taste category. A lot of malty, bready, toasty notes in the flavor, also some roasty flavors come out in the back of the mouth. Medium bodied with some good carbonation to scrub the palate with the low level of bitterness. With all that said a very nice brown ale probably one of the best I've had, very complex only complaint is that it's a little sweet.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

One of My favorite Brown Ales. This was the first Rogue beer I had the pleasure of tasting. This beer has a fantastic aroma - hazelnut, caramel, chocolate. Very smooth nutty flavor and a clean malty finish. A very well balanced brew. If you are a fan of Brown Ales you must try this one.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a nice light brown with a golden color in the light.

The smell is of nice nutmeg and carmel with hops in the back ground real nice.

The taste is amazing light and sweet. Nutmeg is definitely in the front with caramel and hop bitterness in the back this is a great beer probably one of my all time favorites. Just crisp clean and an all around great brown ale.

The mouthfeel is light and esay to put away great session beer.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Browish bronze color which seems slightly hazy. An off white 1 1/2 finger width head with slight orange tint. Now the head has reduced to about 3/4 finger width but seems to be holding. Okay, I just finished mentioning that stuff about detecting peanut butter notes in the aroma and the head has reduced to 1/2 finger but is still holding.

S - First thoughts: Wow!... This is a nice aroma. Sweet and nutty - like those maple nut chews you get from those shopping mall confectioners. Is that a buttery undertone I am detecting? Some peanut butter notes.

T & M - Getting a nutty taste on the front end with something like roasted coffee in the finish. Gathering some maple syrup in the middle. Mildly sweet, not in a Belgian Quad kinda way but more like iced tea with just enough sugar to kill that bitterness, but no more. Smooth finish characterized by a faint bitter character. Has that strange and nearly alcoholy after taste that I've noticed when eating hazelnuts. All this goes along with a mild carbonation and a subtle creamy texture.

D- Great. Gulp, swallow, gulp, swallow....

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from the tap, has a nice viscous brown semi-transparent brown with a off white head that leaves ok lacing.

S: lots of sweet malt, carmel, hops and of course hazelnuts.

T: follows the nose, great carmel sweetness is blends well with the nutty hazelnuts and ends with a twang of hoppy bite,

M: pretty light, lighter than most brown ales ive had, i think its because of the carbonation

O: a solid brown ale, deff will be buying this again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Nice nut brown color with a tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnuts in it. I was floored by the hazelnut and roasted malty combination. Slight maple syrup flavor as well. all of this is ballanced with some nice noble hops. I had given up on brown ales as being to boring, but now I an prompted to go out an brew one for myself.

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with little to no head.

Smell: I really liked the smell. Smells of roasted malts and the hazelnut really sticks out. Interesting.

Taste: Hazelnut! It's actually very good and complements the malts. There is a little bitterness but not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel: It's a lot less watery than most browns I've tried. Good carbonation too. Not thin at all either.

Drinkability: While I like the taste, I don't think I could drink much of it. I'm splitting the bottle with my friend and I think that's enough for me. Too much nuts to drink in excess.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Rich brown in color; not quite dark brown but not an amber. To achieve any head at all requires an improper pour. Mouthfeel is ok; has a good flavor but not much complexity. Reminds me of a typical dark domestic macro brew. Has a pleasant nutty, yet watery aftertaste. Yes its very drinkable and light enough to drink more than one. The problem with this beer is it probably won't appeal to dark beer drinkers nor the pilsner drinker. Good allaround beer, best described as the Jan Brady of Rogue beers.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Consumed on 4/19/09. Poured bottle into pint glass.

Nice carbonated light brown, with relatively minimal head. Smells nice and sweet, with caramel, toffee and honey dominating the scent. Taste largely reflects the smell, and is light and a little malty. A little bit syrupy, but tremendously drinkable and a wonderful session brew.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely Nutty! Hazelnut in full effect, great, everyone loves it

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In the glass a deep brown with a nice head.
I didn't get to the aroma much I have to confess. I was at a party and was busy meeting lots of people.
The taste of the beer hit me from the first sip though.
This had more body and flavour to it than any brown ale I'd had while on the holiday I was on, and there'd been a good half dozen or so.
The flavour was rich, with nuttiness and chocolate malt throughout.
The mouthfeel was lovely and smooth.
I would rate the drinkability as I didn't find it as sweet as some other reviews here seem to suggest. I could have downed a few of these (In fact I did get it again to give to my father in law whose quite fond of a brown ale)

This rates as the best brown ale I've ever tried, hands down.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on tap at the Rogue Public House, San Francisco

A: Poured a lovely deep copper colour, with an exceptional head. A really attractive beer that looked like a promo shot.

S: Toasted malts, toffee, and of course, hazelnuts...

T: VERY tasty. Begins with hazelnuts and toffee sweetness, almost like a candy bar for the first moment, but recedes into lovely toasted grains. The sweetness lasted throughout, making it not bitter at all.

MF/D: Decently solid, nice carbonation. It's not the greatest beer to hold in your mouth, certainly not the worst. But it goes down beautifully, and is extremely drinkable. Very well balanced, and a must to try. (For an interesting beverage, ask for a black and tan with this and their chocolate stout!)

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Brown Nectar is one of those beers I get excited about no matter how many times I've had it, and whether it's coming to me from a bottle or on-tap. Every time I have this beer it's like a pick-me-up, my mood goes from whatever to great in a matter of sips. Strong hazelnut flavor, from a rich translucent brown body with medium carbonation and foamy head. I highly recommend drinking Brown Nectar in a bathtub or in the hot sun, highly refreshing, crisp, sweet, nutty taste. From my experience this seems to be the case with Rogue, they don't make any crazy zany beers of experimental styles or in the hazy realm of deep palate tasting notes. Rogue makes good-ass beers, in whatever department they chose. They may not be the craziest, or the finest, but DAMMIT they're the beerest (coining that phrase, btw.)

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bomber.

A: Very deep honey color. 1 1/2 finger head that lingers. Nice and creamy.

S: Very nutty and sweet. Can't miss the "nectar"!

T: Slight hops in the finish. Not as sweet as expected, lots of roasted goodness! Strong hazelnut.

M: A little chewy.... but has an almost rootbeer feel to it. Very smooth.

O: A great brown, truly hard to match. I would love to try it on draft!

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales