2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,890 | Reviews: 1,311 | Show All Ratings:
TheMadChef10

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love hazelnuts so when I saw this on my bars MBA beer list I figured why not. The beer did not fail to deliver, it was a nice dark brown. The smell was amazing to me there is no better smell than roasted hazelnuts. The nuts weren't very forward, to me i got a bit of maltiness first then came the hazelnuts. The beer was quite smooth not overly carbonated. I could easily drink this everyday possibly with chocolate as a dessert beer?

03-09-2011 21:31:24 | More by TheMadChef10
NurseJody

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom...

Very interesting, I must say!!! I expected different...but, here is my review :)

Upon pouring, it's a deep, dark color, yet somewhat transparent...a good brown ale for you...about a one finger off white head, with very little lacing..

The nose was very interesting! I could immediately smell cream...slight vanilla...yet the overall nose wasn't too much to talk about.

On the palate...Well lets see, cream, coffee, hints of 'burnt' nuts - quite odd, yet it all worked well in the finish. Not too malty. I could see how they labeled it 'hazelnut'.

Would I buy this again? Not sure... I would try it in the bottle, even though I have much love for taps :) Would I recommend it? Yes, due to it's oddness and creativity!

06-17-2011 02:09:11 | More by NurseJody
sisterray

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle.

08-11-2011 16:35:56 | More by sisterray
maxwellboh

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

I asked a couple of times the age of the barrel and was assured maybe a week old.

Appearance: amber in color characteristic of a brown ale. No head and no lacing.

Smell: definitely hazelnut. From beginning to end.

Taste: Hazelnut throughout

Mouthfeel: Like nutella, it sticks to the roof of your mouth and does not want to leave, (which is a good thing).

Overall: You want hazelnut, this is your beer. Great tasting that finishes clear, but the aroma is with you throughout.

02-27-2012 15:09:16 | More by maxwellboh
bhitt

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Poured from a bomber dark brown with small head with little retention.
Nose: Sweet with hazelnut extract aroma right up front.
Taste: The flavors take a while to kick in but are very well balanced. Not overly malty but just the right amount of sweetness, blends perfectly with the hazelnut. Flavor hops are just noticeable. Mouthfeel is silky, low/moderate carbonation.

Like many of Rogue's offerings, this beer is unique and enjoyable. A very drinkable brew that I return to regularly.

01-11-2007 03:11:30 | More by bhitt
icebergfat

South Carolina

The only reason this review was so late coming was because I couldn't think of enough good things to say about this beer it is my all time favorite out of all the brews I have drank and the list is probably 350 plus beers (not bragging)just stating the truth I always return to this because it is so good what can I say out of 1-5 this is so over the top it s a 10, try it and you will seee, nuff said!

11-16-2008 02:04:43 | More by icebergfat
joesc230

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

I enjoyed drinking this beer. It's a dark redish color with tan lace. Very creamy. While drinking I notice a nutty, particular hazelnut taste with a very malty smell. Not too much carbonation. Very sweet, perfect compliment for a dessert. Would definitely drink it again...and again!

06-21-2010 04:15:02 | More by joesc230
bellafromsocal

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Has a amber-brown appearance with a decent tan head. You can definitely smell the hazelnut and it carries through into the taste. Smooth and malty with little bitterness. It was easy going down and not overly carbonated. Altough not one of my favorites, I definitely enjoyed it and would order again.

12-01-2010 15:25:04 | More by bellafromsocal
JayRey

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into Newcastle glass.

Appearance: copper/brownish color. Yields about 3/4 finger head the dissipates slowly. Frothy film sticks around throughout.

Smell: Very nutty and malty. Roasted nuts is the initial whiff and the most prevalent smell, with some slightly toasted malt in the background

Taste: Sweet upfront with a great hazelnut aftertaste. Many beers claim to be "chocolate" or "coffee" and such but fail to taste anything like their description. This beer genuinely tastes as advertised: hazelnut. A little bit of malt in the background with some chocolate undertones, but this is a true hazelnut beer all the way through.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth finish.

Overall: Definitely a solid brew. In terms of a" Hazelnut Brown Nectar", they definitely portrayed it nicely. Tons of nutty flavor and a solid finish. Would drink again for sure.

03-31-2011 05:08:14 | More by JayRey
vader

Idaho

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Let me start off saying that is by far the best brown I have had hands down. Poured out very brown, almost like a wood stain of some kind, little head that tried to hold on till the end but left some lacing. Right off, the smell sucked me in, it was very sweet, nutty, chocolate, coffee and some malt. You can definitively tell there is hazelnut in there...the first sip was astonishing. Sweet, but not too much, lots of hazelnut with some chocolate and coffee. The thing that made this beer stand out is that it was paired with a final bitterness that didn't cover up the sweetness. But rather complimented it just enough so you knew you weren't drinking an iced mocha morning shit, but a BEER! I wouldn't go as far to say it was a dessert beer, but it definitively is a treat.

06-18-2011 00:54:52 | More by vader
awesomeandrew

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Dark brown caramel color, light carbonation, thin one inch head which slowly dissipates, minimal lacing which slowly disappears.

S: Hazelnut is apparent, smells nutty and sweet, little hint of malt

T: Sweet, not bitter at all, minimal hops, hazelnut is apparent, finishes sweet, little bit of chocolate taste

M: Light to medium body, minimal carbonation, very balanced mouthfeel, very smooth beer

O: I really do like this beer, it's smooth and extremely drinkable, there are no dominant tastes, everything is well balanced. I would drink again, a nice flavorful, light feeling beer.

06-19-2011 08:02:20 | More by awesomeandrew
McShane

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

The Specialty beer winner from this years Great American Beer Festival is my beer for the evening. Well I agree that it is special. One of those brown beers you just have to love. I'm not a big brown beer fan. This one though is from Rogue and it carries a signature goodness that some brewers can't pull off. Let's get to it.

Appearence - Beautiful brown beer. A half inch thick head that really let's you get to the core of the beer quickly.

Smell- Clean and crisp. Rogue really has mastered the smell of beers. They never smell "treated" or chemically. It never seems as though they added something to it bring out the smells. It's all ingrediants. Hazelnuts aren't a wonderful nut but they have a distinct smell. Good stuff.

Taste- Is a brown ale with a sweet finish. It doesn't try to do to much.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with a hint of Carbonation. It lingers a little bit at the end though which is ok, not awesome though.

Overall it's a good solid beer. If you like brown beers, this one you will enjoy a great deal.

Thanks

10-19-2012 04:25:10 | More by McShane
johnnydollar

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Yes it's good, but I wouldn't say great. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this Rogue didn't blow me away. The glass has a nice transparent brown hue and it doesn't smell like much of anything. The taste is enjoyable, but a little too sweet for my liking. The carbonation, color and flavor all resemble cola in a weird sort of way. I like cola so I enjoyed drinking it, but it's not the Rogue experience that I am used to. Is it REALLY 6.2% ABV? I would have guessed much lower (it is also available in South Carolina where we have a alcohol cap on beer at 6%... shhh. don't tell anybody).

04-03-2007 02:57:16 | More by johnnydollar
beltyrion

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Dark brown with tan head. Excellent lacing

S: Hazelnut and vanilla and caramel notes.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with some hoppy character.

Tasting Notes: Some light hop character, hazelnut tones, as well as some light hints of chocolate. Maybe a dash of maple. Came highly recommended by a colleague of mine. Extremely drinkable.

11-11-2008 20:51:58 | More by beltyrion
masterallen

Alberta (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Medium dark red colour, but little head
S - Rich oatmeal and hazelnut notes
T - Awesome milk chocolate and hazelnut flavour, but didn't lack the bitterness of the nut.
M - A touch foamy on large quaff, but nice and soft carbonation
D - Definitely not a session beer, I could easily put back a few of these.

06-30-2009 17:57:14 | More by masterallen
bvarn

Washington

A: Dark copper color. Little head and low head retention

S: Very nice smell. Strong hazelnut aroma

T: Good flavor but mild, sweet. Tastes were very mild which was disappointing because of the strong aroma.

M: I've had a few other Rogue brews and they have all had the same watery feel. This was no different unfortunately.

D: Overall, it was decent, but not for $5.50/22oz bottle. If I'm paying that much for a beer I expect it to be something that I can sip slowly and enjoy. I was unimpressed.

01-04-2011 23:41:07 | More by bvarn
Vestlake

Alabama

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma is mostly hazelnut. Taste is a strong hazelnut with a bit of a chocolaty aftertaste. I enjoyed this beer though I think the hazelnut comes on a little too strong. Will definitely finish the six pack though. Overall, a pretty nice beer.

07-16-2013 20:34:31 | More by Vestlake
TheTallOne

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark brown with a faint tint of orange. Very thin head after a few minutes with spots of foam clinging to the glass. Minimal carbonation with very small bubbles.

S: Very sweet with a faint scent of nuts.

T: Sweet caramel start with a nutty finish.

M: Creamy with very little carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Great balance between carbonation and cream feel.

10-30-2008 03:37:37 | More by TheTallOne
richtersf

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap at the Bayfront Brewpub in Newport. Pours a dark dark brown that is barely see thru able with a sandy one-finger head that quickly recedes to a small cover. Smells of caramel and mixed nuts, maybe pestachio or fresh baked bread. Tastes immediately of carmel malts and then goes straight into a full hazelnut middle and hints of chocolate, with a slightly hoppy and dry finish that blends well with the nut flavor. Mouthfeel is initially light and bready but lingers on the top of the mouth with fair amount of thickness.

Not too complex, it tastes like one would expect Pacman to do with brown and dark malts, but a very drinkable and good beer. Does what it should. Great for a rainy August day in Newport. I'd definitely try it if I came here from out of town.

08-12-2009 03:21:11 | More by richtersf
misterhilleke

Tennessee

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A = color of the bottle only lighter with more red and a 1" beige head

S = grandmother's biscuits (not sure why), expected nuttiness with some hazelnut mixed in there, almost buttery toffee type smell

T = taste is similar to smell, the closest match between the two i've experienced thus far; butter, caramel, toffee, definite hazelnut, perfect sweetness

M = healthy amount of carbonation; otherwise, a smooth creamy brown ale

D = big fan! well-balanced, just the right amount of hazelnut, had it with homemade chocolate ice cream and it was like drinking Nutella

09-26-2010 06:07:51 | More by misterhilleke
glassjaw25

Maybe I am giving this beer too much credit but I think it is delicious. I think the look of the beer is fantastic in color, nice dark brown in color and a tan creamy head during pour. The mouthfeel of this beer is great extremely smooth which makes it very drinkable. You can smell the strong hazlenut aroma with each sip. I happen to enjoy the smell of hazlenut which makes this beer that much better to me.

The only negative I can see others having about this beer would be the strong scent of hazlenut. I believe one bottle of this or a couple of pints is just perfect. I'm very happy with this beer.

03-08-2011 01:58:25 | More by glassjaw25
marvmoreno

Philippines

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

APPERANCE:
Dark, almost black color with some ruby highlights. Tight off white head that lingers down to about half an inch

SMELL:
Fragrant roasted nut aroma, which pretty much dominates the aroma profile. Smell reminds me of a milk tea place I frequent. Very unique and "homey" smell, and makes you feel the same way a whiff of coffee in a cafe does

TASTE:
The roasted nutty nose carries through the palate and is the first thing you taste, lasting all throughout until the finish. Some dark bread and caramel sweetness pops out in the background, a hint of pepper spice, warming alcohol. It has an earthy tone to it. Herbal hoppiness is only apparent in the aftertaste. Finish is not as dry, with a herbal, earthy, nuttiness lingering in your tongue afterwards

MOUTHFEEL:
Heavy mouthfeel with a syrupy feel to it, which accentuates the earthiness even more. Carbonation is subdued but can be felt

OVERALL:
A very predominantly nutty brown ale. The unique roasted nut note is pretty much the star here, reducing everything else to faint hints. The flavor is to my liking but I found it just a tad too dominant. I would've love some more balance here. Nevertheless, a good solid brew. It's a good substitute for coffee beers, sipping one away amongst intelligent conversation

11-14-2012 07:59:28 | More by marvmoreno
IGOTASIXPACK

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Best finish, best brown ale. I have had it on tap and bottle. Rogue just makes great beers. The finish on this beer and aroma stick with you. Some brown ales can be quite bland. Not the case here. Smooth beer I could buy a keg of this daily drinker. The nut flavor is just right.

11-17-2013 17:46:12 | More by IGOTASIXPACK
xdant

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

served from a 22 oz. bomber. nice dark brown cola color with a nice cream colored head. a thin layer of head retained over the entire surface until the end.
smell: probably my favorite part of this brew. loads of chocolate covered nuts and a faint fruity aroma.
taste: a proper extention of the smell. chocolate, coffee, nuts, currants. Malty and sweet, but not too sweet since i was drinking it for dessert. May be too sweet for dinner...

07-18-2006 00:48:06 | More by xdant
boilers

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - reddish brown beer with an unusual yellow-tan colored head. Slightly cloudy.

Aroma - Wonderful hazelnut aroma with some malt.

Flavor - Same hazelnut flavor as aroma. Good malt backbone. Hops take a back seat. Medium carbonation and medium weight. This beer has good balance between the flavor components and is very drinkable.

12-02-2008 01:43:46 | More by boilers