Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-27-2001

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazelnut Brown Nectar Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 3,815
3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

Aroma of nutela, treacle, caramel, and chocolate.

Pours ,more of a red colour than a brown. Beige head. Medium head retention. Some lace.

Tastes Like Ferero rocher chocolates. Caramel, hazelnuts, burnt sugar, chocolate.

Mouthfeel was ok, if a bit thin. Carbonation was ok. (277 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance was an nice thick brown look that made me anticipate it to be more flavorful than a comparable style like Newcastle.

Smelled very sweet and nutty. Smelled very good but not too beery (not a word but makes sense to me).

Excellent and surprising taste of almond nut and something quite sweet I ended up placing as being like brown sugar

Felt good on the tongue, a medium body that lingered a bit and left a roasted malt and nutty aftertaste.

Really enjoyed the beer and it made an impression on me. Normally stick with darker beers but this went well with food and alone as a desert beer. Recommend. (612 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I have tried this beer.

Appearance: It has a a very deep amber color to it. It looks quite nice in the glass. The beer has minimal head. A small amount gathered at the top of the glass, and settled quickly. This isn't what I picture a brown ale to look like, but it does have a nice appearance.

Smell: The beer has strong roasted malt scent. I did detect the hazelnut, but not overwhelming.

Taste: The first sip caught me a little off guard. This beer is much sweeter than I expectedl. It finishes with a nice roasted taste, which I liked. The sweetness negatively affected this beer for me. The hazelnut was very prominent, which was expected, but I guess I just don't like hazelnut in my beer. The 6.2% ABV is very well hidden...little to no alcohol taste whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: This beer felt very thin and watery. This is not what I expect in a brown ale. There wasn't very much carbonation, which accentuated the watery feel. Not much good going on in this department.

Drinkability: I could see myself buying a bomber of this once (maximum) per year. I can't say the beer is bad, but the sweetness, thin, watery aspects leave a little to be desired. One bomber was enough. (1,255 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance 4.0
Poured a dark mahogany color. Almost zero head.

Aroma 4.0
The hazelnut and coffee scent is quite strong. Smells more like coffee than beer. Slight scent of roasted grain but my senses are overwhelmed by the hazelnut.

Taste 3.5/4.0
At first sip, there's a mixed roasted nut flavor at the center-point. Very nice and what I expect from the nut brown style. As it sits on the tongue, the nuts give way to a very strong hazelnut, caramel and bitter chocolate flavor which is very coffee-like in it's aftertaste.

Mouthfeel 4.0
Nice thickness, not to thin, not to thick. Right on with the brown ale style. I found the aroma very strong, even while in the mouth.

Drinkability 4.0
Very drinkable. Not too sweet, not too thin or thick, very rich flavored. Not your traditional brown ale, but it's something you won't find from other nut browns. Very solid beer from Rogue. (885 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Not the biggest fan of brown ales, but this one is different. Very smooth taste, nice thick khaki head and feels great on the tongue. The hazelnut aroma is intoxicating but the overall taste and finish of this beer lacks. Like i said overall good just nothing amazing. (268 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this beer in two settings served ice cold into pint glass, then slowly warmed to about 55-60 degrees: Once while relaxing on the couch with a friend and once in the back yard during a cool Sunday evening, accompanied with a nice skirt steak and herb roasted potatoes. It was a much more enjoyable experience with the steak. Highly recommended.

Pours a dark brown with brown, almost purplish-red head. The mouth feel of the beer is quite nice. There's enough body and viscosity in the beer that you can see the resistance of the beer as you pour into the beer already in the glass. Notes of Hazelnut (duh), chocolate, caramel, and light molasses.

Drinkability was nice but not something I could consistently put back. Not that that's a bad thing, really... having just one with dinner is wonderful way to enjoy this beer. This goes into the “will buy again” category for me.

Guy on the bottle reminds me of my father during the early 80s so that's sorta weird. Price is a bit steep but shouldn't be a problem seeing how I would only drink one with a nice meal. (1,076 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Yum!

This Beer pours a dark brownish Red tinted dark color. Very clear no haze, with a light brown head, almost no lace. Very wood like chocolate tastes hit me right away with a wood/coffee finish. Delicious and smooth. I really enjoyed this beer. I am fairly new at this but so far hands down my favorite Brown Ale so far. Medium Body & feels pretty light. The sophisticated flavors make this more of a beer to savor but still very drinkable. Maybe Not a session beer. But what Great beer is? (494 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

In a pint glass, the thin layer of foam quickly dissipates above a red-brown translucent body.

As you would expect from the name, the aroma is very hazelnutty- reminding me of drinking a flavored coffee.

To my flavor-sensing mechanisms, it seemed to have a low malt presence with at least half of its taste coming from a grapefruit-like citrus finish. Not at all what I was expecting with the hazelnut preview.

Light-bodied, it's carbonation was like a flat soda.

Although it is a dark-colored beer, I imagine it as a good summer thirst-quencher with its strong citrus taste. (579 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

From a good looking 22oz bomber 8/7/11

A-The head was a nice off color white. The body was a gorgeous brown on the darker side, but was not too dark that you could not see thru.

S- The smell reminded me of a nutty french vanilla coffee blend. Had a nice aroma of sweet nutty caramel.

T- The taste sent my senses on a rollercoaster ride thru sweetness up a hill a nuttiness and down with slight candied undertone. A truley excellent brown ale. The name of the beer fits perfectly.

M-The beer was not too heavy nor too light, it was just right. Could drink more then one of these any night. The beer was carbonated ,but not overly carbonated.

o- I liked this beer a lot. I have not tried to many Rogues beers, but saw this in a local six pack shop and decided to take it for a whirl. It is a bit on the sweet side, but I think it adds lots of character to the beer. It is not too sweet like other beers I have encountered. It is also not too bitter. I would reccommend this beer to anyone, if they do not know much about beers or are looking for something new to try. I had mine after dinner and it felt like a very pleasant dessert. (1,137 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If you like hazelnut coffe, or happen to like hazelnuts in general, this is your beer. It has a very clean looking appearance, medium brown color with a sweet and flavorful head. It is very nutty, the hazelnut flavor doesn't start or finish the beer, it is the beer. A very sweet beer, if that 's not your thing look elsewhere. Not bitter at any point, smooth, nutty & sweet throughout. This is an amazing beer, could have one with your oatmeal or your pork chops. Delicious. (475 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

More hazelnutty than expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, just unlike anything I've ever tried before! Light feeling and very drinkable. Definitely a dessert beer. (165 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

My first review. I couldn't resist reviewing this one. This beer is such a treat! Nice thick tan head by the time I poured the second glass (first was a little too cold I guess). Began with a nice mild chocolate malt taste, very creamy, smooth, full mouthfeel, and finished with a little bit of hop, but just enough to keep it interesting. Left a hint of coffee and maybe toffee taste in my mouth. Wow, this is a great beer. If I could only have one beer a day I could live on just one of these a day. I'm really impressed with the Rouge beers so far. (551 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

I love hazelnut, so when I found this beer it immediately found it’s way into my cart. The bottle itself is a wonderful work of art. I popped the top and took a long inhale noting the nutty scent. My nose isn’t fully developed just yet so if I can pick something up then you know it is in there.

The pour was into an imperial pint glass. The splash down play between beer and head was mesmerizing. The beautiful red-brown color eventually won the game but the head was a thick creamy head. It lasted for ½ the beer and the nose from the head rounded out an overall taste of the beer. Periodically after that I added what was left in the bottle to give it a little more head.

A great sipping beer! (706 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Chestnut brown, with a beautiful but not-long-lasting head.

Smell: Obviously "Hazelnut" is in the beer's name, so there's certainly a substantial amount of that in the bouquet. However, it's a really clean smell -- more like hazelnut coffee than the nut itself.

Taste: Super-malty, especially if you let it linger in your mouth a bit. Unlike many brown ales, this is a little light on the dryness -- in that way, it's certainly different than its British brothers. Unlike many beers that advertise a certain flavor, you can totally taste hazelnut here, especially after you swallow it.

Mouthfeel: Swish it around a bit in your mouth and feel how incredibly creamy it becomes.

Drinkability: It's a little high in alcohol for a brown ale, and conversely a little sweet. A wonderful desert drink, but could it work as a session beer? I have doubts.

Anyone who wants to understand how American microbreweries reinvent styles should look at this as Exhibit A. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown (which is basically the standard-bearer for the style) is clean, crisp, and balanced in every way. Conversely, Rogue's interpretation of the Brown Ale is sweet and unrefined. If it's slightly less successful, it certainly gets points for being much riskier. (1,256 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Nose - The Hazelnut really comes through with this one. Strong nutty, caramel, with a touch of yeast.

Taste - Starts off much like any brown ale, toffee and caramel with a little more richness and intensity of flavor. A bit strong on the alcohol mid way, but you get the full effect of the Hazelnut upon swallowing and forget all about the heat. Nice strong nutty finish that doesn't taste synthetic.

Overall an outstanding example of the style. (447 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Great looking beer! Dark amber to reddish. Not much head but it may be due to the tap pressure settings.

S- Sweet and a hinch of fruitiness followed by a bit of wood but not a big smell.

F- Berries on the beginning, followed by a perfectly achieved nutty flavor. At the end a pleasant cocoa aftertaste very similar to the Yoo-Hoo! drink.

O- Very nice beer! Certainly I will have it again. (429 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked to be a dark amber...the mug is tinted.

It smelled great. You could definitely pick out the hazelnut and it had a caramel fragrance.

The hazelnut flavor is definitely prevalent. The beer has a sweet caramel flavor with moderate carbonation for a darker beer.

Mouthfeel....eh, whatever.

Being a hazelnut lover, I tried to ignore all the reviews slamming this beer's "artificial" hazelnut flavoring. I really wanted to enjoy it. I did anyway. I thought it was a good beer....a nice dark amber with the slight feel of a porter and a hefty hint of hazelnut. Artificial or not....I will drink it again. (654 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

A nutty brown colored beer, as you might expect. It smells mildly of the hazelnut within, which can be deceptive because of the taste to follow. This beer is extremely drinkable, goes down smooth, and has a slightly sweet taste of hazelnut worked perfectly into the brown ale (no syrupy chemical taste whatsoever). The aftertaste is pleasant with almost no bitterness to speak of. Definitely a good beer and well-priced at ~$5 for 22oz. (436 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

A: It has a dark red and brown when in direct light, which deepens in color when not in direct light resembling an almost red wine-like appearance. Has a clear consistency with a beige head that retains well.

S: A definite nutty smell that is blended with malt. There is a slight sweet smell that I couldn't wrangle though..

T: A nice roasted malt flavors that make me have to give praise to the name. The hazelnut plays through pretty plainly and you don't have to stress yourself to taste it. There are other components such as coffee, chocolate (lighter than dark), some hops, alcohol, and a slight sweet and acidic signature.

M: Much lighter than I expected. Smooth, somewhat oily, with light hints of carbonation. Nice crispness and bitterness at the end.

D: This is definitely a nut brown and has qualities that make it unique and worth trying. The flavors really open up, and I would recommend allowing them to do so because the get much better. (959 characters)

Pours a cherry wood color with a two-finger head that doesn't linger. Very little lacing. The aroma is quite intriguing and chiefly of hazelnut and pumpernickel bread.

The taste is hazelnut and molasses straight-away, followed by a nice slight hop bitterness that keeps it from being too syrupy-sweet while still leaving sweetness on the tongue afterward. It is medium-bodied with just enough carbonation to stave off the said syrupy-sweet sensation you find in so many others of this style.

This is an extremely quaffable beer and a nice option for a "bigger" (while not BIG) beer that allows you to down a few. Nicely done. (628 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - Reddish brown. Clear. Tight 3/4" head when poured. Laces nicely and lace sticks to glass through the drink.

Smell - Nutty, chocolatey, rich.

Taste - A nice rich maltiness. Hops present in aftertaste that aren't noticeable when first tasted. Chocolate malts are easy to identify. Call me crazy, but I didn't taste the hazelnut (or general 'nuttiness') as much as I expected to.

Mouthfeel - Rich mouthfeel. Taste lingers for a while between sips.

Drinkability - Easier to drink as the beer warms.

Overall - Good beer with a great initial richness that is more apparent as the beer warms. Not the best example of a Brown Ale, but one that is certainly worth tasting. (691 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into two small Ommegang dubbel glasses.

A-Dark chestnut brown with a tan head that left good lacing

S-Roasted malts along with a strong buttery smell that could only be identified as delicious hazelnuts. The smell was definitely enticing.

T-Taste was fantastic. A great blend of dark malt with a tiny finish of hop just to balance it out. The malts are not over roasted but crisp and clean unlike many brown ales which end up tasting like syrupy flat soda. Very refreshing and a fantastic taste, although not as much hazelnut flavor as in the nose

M-Creamy and medium bodied. The best part is it is not as syrupy as many brown ale's which gives it big points in the mouthfeel area

D-A superb ale with a great all around flavor. I will definitely be buying this in the future. (810 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer looks a little darker than your average brown ale mildly foggy. the head is an off white and has a decent retention
has a dark nutty smell with the hazelnut being prominent with a mild caramel scent
the taste is more complex than just hazelnut there is a blast of flavors the instant it hits my tongue and the hazelnut is brought out when it gets towards the back of my throat. it has a perfectly mild bitter finish
a medium to heavy mouthfeel which is what i prefer. this is probably one of my top beers and i could drink this stuff all night every night great job rogue brewery (590 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32.5%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle. (1,196 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

As soon as I opened the bottle I can smell the sweet Hazelnut. It also has some cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar notes. The smell is definitely strong, if you've got a sweet tooth this is your beer.

It pours pretty good. The head is about 1 1/2 inch. The head goes down rather fast after pours, lacing is weak. Its a very slightly foggy copper color. After setting it down for 2 minutes to cool down the head and lacing were almost completely gone.

The taste is quite the same as it's smell, if not slightly more tamed. Very sweet beer, again, if you have a sweet tooth this is your beer. The hazelnut and brown sugar hit your mouth instanly, hops are present, but very minimally. The mouthfeel is light, I can see myself drinking more than one bottle easily. Reminds me of a pumpkin ale without the pumpkin. If you want a strong beer you might want to skip this one, I however quite liked it.

In conclusion, this was a pretty good beer. I definitely see myself trying this again on a day where I crave sweets. I would not recommend this for anyone who enjoys fuller bodied beers, or hoppy beers for that matter. (1,118 characters)

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales