St. Rogue Red - Rogue Ales

St. Rogue RedSt. Rogue Red

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Rogue Red Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

SpAiReArGsEonNE, Nov 02, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

Tnkemist, Nov 17, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

freditoj, Apr 25, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Serving: 12 oz. bottle from a pick-your-own six pack. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby red with a handsome one-and a half finger head. Good head retention throughout the session.

Aroma: I get this funky sweet smell in the nose, a little bit of citrus hops but it is mostly all funky fruit, I don’t know what’s wrong with this beer but I am hard pressed to find any signs of dry hopping here.

Taste: better than it smells, but it is still well below what I expected. Small bit of hops up front and a decent amount of toasty and caramel malts in the finish. Not much else.

Mouth-feel: I find it to be medium and rather creamy. Not bad here

Overall: Maybe I purchased a bad/old/light struck bottle. Therefore, I may give it a second chance one day. Nevertheless, I was disappointed with this beer. I was expecting a hoppier red ale with a fat malt backbone to make for some delicious sipping.

MaltAndHopsFC, Feb 26, 2013

tdatt43, Mar 22, 2014

trytoketchup, Dec 06, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -44.4%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass

Pours a dark copper color with a very rocky and foamy four inch head. Great head retention that just subsides very slowly leaving very sticky-icky lacing covering all over the sides of my glass. Great appearance.

I do not know if this is how it is suppose to smell or if it is a sign the bottle went south(i,e bad). I get a distinct smell of sweet potatoes. Huge malt based smell with toffee, caramel, prunes, and purple grapes. Yikes!!!

To be honest the smell has me worried to try this beer. Where he goes nothing. Well not as bad as I thought. Main taste is all malts in this beer(probably been sitting on the shelf for a while). Distinct dry slightly bitter biscuit like taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Burnt aftertaste lingers in your mouth.

Overall, I was hugely disappointed in this beer.

tr4nc3d, Feb 04, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

FrankHammer, Oct 21, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Man, what an absolute disappointment. I bought this (22 oz. bomber) at 5.49 and I can honestly say that I couldn't even finish it. The dry hopping is evident, but the taste is non-existent. Tastes more like a macro-brewed IPA with no maltiness whatsoever. A big thumbs down for this Rogue Ale!

cerveza5150, Feb 19, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Presentation: 22oz bottle. Pours very dark for a red - a deep mahogany color. The head mounts readily: a slight reddish tinge to the creamy, dense foam. It disappears quite quickly.
Smell: very light malt smell.
Taste: er, this is a red ale? Color me confused! It's very light and fruity (light citrus flavor). There is very little malt flavor (ok, I don't taste any at all). The aftertaste is all light citrus veering to heavy citrus with time. Oh, ok, there is a bit of hop bitterness to the aftertaste, but not much.
Mouthfeel: again, quite light. It IS pleasantly light. It is NOT the firm creaminess I expect from a red ale.
Drinkability: I'm not pleased at all with this beer. I expect a red ale (my favorite style) to be quite malty and perhaps a bit hoppy but definitely without the fruity (citrusy) side. In fact, I am disappointed to the point that I shan't even make the effort of trying it again. This is not what red ale is about AT ALL (ok, aside from the color), IMO.

charlesw, Jul 03, 2003
2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Was excited to try this beer after trying the Imperial Red from Rogues XS series, which by the way, was extremely impressive.

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Immediatly impressed by the deep, ruby-amber color and strong holding spotted frothy head. This is truely a gorgeous beer.

Now it starts to go down-hill. Doesnt really have much of a smell at all. Mild sweetness with slight malt and very light hops. Not really too much to work with here.

After my first sip,I brace for the flavor, but it never truely takes off. You get an innitial surge of malt and slight hop, which quickly retreats into...a nasty bitter metallic taste.
Seriously?

I have been extremely impressed with every beer I have tried from Rogue in the past. I dont know whether this one came from a bad batch... or what. Theres just no dimension or flavor to it. Its got almost no aftertaste. Its got almost no taste. I do not recomend this one.

BeerHiker, Aug 23, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -37%

A: Pours a brick red color. A two finger white head forms, and recedes in a minute. Spotty lace is left behind.
S: Soapy and oily hops are dominate. Pin sol or dish detergent like. A light residual sweetness lingers.
T: Follows the nose. Really soapy and oily hops that am not a fan of. As this warms up, some diacetyl comes out as well. Some sweetness lingers again. Not something I am enjoying.
M/D: A medium to full body. Oily and soapy, like I have been saying. Medium carbonation, and fairly creamy. Not hard to drink, but I don't really care to have this again or finish my pint.

I am getting lots of flaws here (or what I think of as flaws). Soap, oil, diacetyl all mix together for something I don't care for much. Not something I would recommend. Typical of Rogue.

champ103, Dec 28, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

Bottle poured into a pubglass.

Beer looks nice, great color, right on the mark for the style, and a frothy lace-leaving head.

Immediate smell is the centennial hop. The hop choices give this brew a great aroma and the malt lends a caramel smell to all the citrus and florals. I'm not picking up much in the way of yeast.

The taste does not reflect the smell. I won't say over-bitter but definitely not balanced well at all. Chinook and Centennial are two of my favorite hops but I'm experiencing a lack of flavor from the hops and the malt, and the yeast. I'm really not tasting much at all besides the bittering addition. Chinook is great for bittering but it needs a big complimenting flavor hop addition and Id've guessed that Centennial would work well in that situation but either I'm just wrong, or his Centennials were bunk. The faint malt flavor is completely overshadowed by the bitterness here.

Not bad really, in the mouthfeel dept. dry afterfeel but smooth enough going down.

I suppose this could be a drinkable beer with some alterations but at this point it is what it is and it is not a very drinkable beer, Kind of hard to consume actually.

This one falls way short. Bad recipe I think. I'm a hop freak, but there should be some balance.

cookin420, Feb 11, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

The look and smell is promising; fruity and malt notes over some biting mops, but I can't stand the taste. Sporting strong hops and carbonation, the bottom of the drink falls out after a second in my mouth. It leaves me with prickly hoppy drink which seems surprisingly thin and light.

While not too bitter, it's also not at all what I expected. I imagine that others would like this brew better, but I did not finish 12 ounces.

CHL, May 31, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

12 ounce bottle. On sale at $6.99 / sixpack. Lot less reading material on the 12 oz. bottles though.

Dark red to almost brown body, fairly opaque. Three fingers of irregular bone china white froth, good lacing immediately evident.

Aroma started off with a bit of citrus, but that quickly faded away, leaving a bit of candy sweetness.

Taste begins with a big caramel start. The hops never quite come in as big as I expect, just a bit of balance in the middle. Finishes somewhat harsh, a bit ...arid? Dry is a good thing, but this feels like I have a parched spot in the center of my tongue. Hops with sandpaper? Slightly metallic. Not an enjoyable closing sensation.

Mouhfeel is fine. Aftertaste kills drinkability.

Very disappointing. I know this is suppose to be basically the same as Santa's Reserve, but I don't see how.

RonfromJersey, Jun 18, 2005

HumanParaquat, Jan 30, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

It’s not very often you see a label on a brew noting “dry hopped” for a Red Ale, unless yah brewing yourself and you do this action to increase that hop aroma. Well after having a taste of this brew, I just did not get any good emotion. There was plenty of sediment at the bottom, so be aware. Ok there’s a smidgen of hop scent at first sniff, ok so that’s a good thing. Not sure if it’s the Chinook, Centennial or both in the batch during the dry hop. Anyway, I do not want to be long in text and drag this out. Rouge makes better beer than this. I need this on draft to compare the two – bottom line, it was just ok. Don’t get me wrong, maybe I got a sub par batch or maybe there was an elapsed shelf life. A little bitter in the mouth after having a sip or two – like an ESB (which I would have preferred) vs. a red, but just not the malt/hop mix taste that I was looking for in a brew. I’ll look for another tasting opportunity if I can find it on draft. JC

jcipa88, Sep 11, 2007

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 ounce bottle into a pub glass.

Apperance: This has a very good appearance in a glass. The beer is amber leaning heavily into actually red. The head of the beer was over an inch and a half and was well maintained throughout the drinking. Very nicely carbonated. It looked in short delicious.

Smell: A little bit of malt and nothing else.

Taste: I wasnt impressed with the taste, a little malt and nothing else.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: A very average beer better than most mass produced. Inspite of appearance just seemed watery and left me wanting more. I may be lost in high alchol, high hop beer/crack land.

nlmartin, Aug 31, 2005

RTHKI, Aug 05, 2012

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

allbrigs, Mar 08, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

Like the Dead Guy Ale, this felt a little out of place. Caramel and choc, with a typical Rogue hoppyness on the finish, some earthyness notes. Nice flavours, just didn't excite me i guess, nothing really jumped, and althought it was drinkable, it didn't really do anything for me in the end (Bottle-GBBF 03')

rastaman, Oct 03, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

From Jim's, no BB.

Looks the biz on the pour, with a lovely fluffy two to three finger head, but after that all downhill.

Aromas are malt mainly, but the taste is just, erm, not nice. Dry hopped I guess means a dry dry tasting beer, which just does not suit this palate. It's thin and watery, too.

How else can you score a beer, if you genuinely do not actually like the taste??.

Maybe it's the yeast...

heygeebee, Apr 06, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

Beer pours caramel and red with off white head the lace on the beer is great with nice retention.

Smells of centennial hops mainly due to the dry hopping. Slight roasted notes but not much more.

Taste has that familiar rogues taste as far as hops and yeast go it just does not have much going on its pretty 1 dimensional in my opinion. Hoppy with very slight sweet notes on the palate.

Surprisingly light as far as body goes carbonation is at a good level on the beer. Leaves a lingering bitterness remnant too an IPA.

Over all not really impressed with this rogue i expected more out of it just came off as bland and simple Another beer to mark off the list. But not one I will have again.

DeadGuyRyan, Feb 15, 2011