St. Rogue Red - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Rogue Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,044
2.03/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Serving: 12 oz. bottle from a pick-your-own six pack. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby red with a handsome one-and a half finger head. Good head retention throughout the session.

Aroma: I get this funky sweet smell in the nose, a little bit of citrus hops but it is mostly all funky fruit, I don’t know what’s wrong with this beer but I am hard pressed to find any signs of dry hopping here.

Taste: better than it smells, but it is still well below what I expected. Small bit of hops up front and a decent amount of toasty and caramel malts in the finish. Not much else.

Mouth-feel: I find it to be medium and rather creamy. Not bad here

Overall: Maybe I purchased a bad/old/light struck bottle. Therefore, I may give it a second chance one day. Nevertheless, I was disappointed with this beer. I was expecting a hoppier red ale with a fat malt backbone to make for some delicious sipping. (928 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass

Pours a dark copper color with a very rocky and foamy four inch head. Great head retention that just subsides very slowly leaving very sticky-icky lacing covering all over the sides of my glass. Great appearance.

I do not know if this is how it is suppose to smell or if it is a sign the bottle went south(i,e bad). I get a distinct smell of sweet potatoes. Huge malt based smell with toffee, caramel, prunes, and purple grapes. Yikes!!!

To be honest the smell has me worried to try this beer. Where he goes nothing. Well not as bad as I thought. Main taste is all malts in this beer(probably been sitting on the shelf for a while). Distinct dry slightly bitter biscuit like taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Burnt aftertaste lingers in your mouth.

Overall, I was hugely disappointed in this beer. (863 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

Man, what an absolute disappointment. I bought this (22 oz. bomber) at 5.49 and I can honestly say that I couldn't even finish it. The dry hopping is evident, but the taste is non-existent. Tastes more like a macro-brewed IPA with no maltiness whatsoever. A big thumbs down for this Rogue Ale! (293 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -38.3%

Was excited to try this beer after trying the Imperial Red from Rogues XS series, which by the way, was extremely impressive.

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Immediatly impressed by the deep, ruby-amber color and strong holding spotted frothy head. This is truely a gorgeous beer.

Now it starts to go down-hill. Doesnt really have much of a smell at all. Mild sweetness with slight malt and very light hops. Not really too much to work with here.

After my first sip,I brace for the flavor, but it never truely takes off. You get an innitial surge of malt and slight hop, which quickly retreats into...a nasty bitter metallic taste.
Seriously?

I have been extremely impressed with every beer I have tried from Rogue in the past. I dont know whether this one came from a bad batch... or what. Theres just no dimension or flavor to it. Its got almost no aftertaste. Its got almost no taste. I do not recomend this one. (923 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

Presentation: 22oz bottle. Pours very dark for a red - a deep mahogany color. The head mounts readily: a slight reddish tinge to the creamy, dense foam. It disappears quite quickly.
Smell: very light malt smell.
Taste: er, this is a red ale? Color me confused! It's very light and fruity (light citrus flavor). There is very little malt flavor (ok, I don't taste any at all). The aftertaste is all light citrus veering to heavy citrus with time. Oh, ok, there is a bit of hop bitterness to the aftertaste, but not much.
Mouthfeel: again, quite light. It IS pleasantly light. It is NOT the firm creaminess I expect from a red ale.
Drinkability: I'm not pleased at all with this beer. I expect a red ale (my favorite style) to be quite malty and perhaps a bit hoppy but definitely without the fruity (citrusy) side. In fact, I am disappointed to the point that I shan't even make the effort of trying it again. This is not what red ale is about AT ALL (ok, aside from the color), IMO. (986 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Pours a brick red color. A two finger white head forms, and recedes in a minute. Spotty lace is left behind.
S: Soapy and oily hops are dominate. Pin sol or dish detergent like. A light residual sweetness lingers.
T: Follows the nose. Really soapy and oily hops that am not a fan of. As this warms up, some diacetyl comes out as well. Some sweetness lingers again. Not something I am enjoying.
M/D: A medium to full body. Oily and soapy, like I have been saying. Medium carbonation, and fairly creamy. Not hard to drink, but I don't really care to have this again or finish my pint.

I am getting lots of flaws here (or what I think of as flaws). Soap, oil, diacetyl all mix together for something I don't care for much. Not something I would recommend. Typical of Rogue. (774 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 ounce bottle into a pub glass.

Apperance: This has a very good appearance in a glass. The beer is amber leaning heavily into actually red. The head of the beer was over an inch and a half and was well maintained throughout the drinking. Very nicely carbonated. It looked in short delicious.

Smell: A little bit of malt and nothing else.

Taste: I wasnt impressed with the taste, a little malt and nothing else.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: A very average beer better than most mass produced. Inspite of appearance just seemed watery and left me wanting more. I may be lost in high alchol, high hop beer/crack land. (639 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

Bottle poured into a pubglass.

Beer looks nice, great color, right on the mark for the style, and a frothy lace-leaving head.

Immediate smell is the centennial hop. The hop choices give this brew a great aroma and the malt lends a caramel smell to all the citrus and florals. I'm not picking up much in the way of yeast.

The taste does not reflect the smell. I won't say over-bitter but definitely not balanced well at all. Chinook and Centennial are two of my favorite hops but I'm experiencing a lack of flavor from the hops and the malt, and the yeast. I'm really not tasting much at all besides the bittering addition. Chinook is great for bittering but it needs a big complimenting flavor hop addition and Id've guessed that Centennial would work well in that situation but either I'm just wrong, or his Centennials were bunk. The faint malt flavor is completely overshadowed by the bitterness here.

Not bad really, in the mouthfeel dept. dry afterfeel but smooth enough going down.

I suppose this could be a drinkable beer with some alterations but at this point it is what it is and it is not a very drinkable beer, Kind of hard to consume actually.

This one falls way short. Bad recipe I think. I'm a hop freak, but there should be some balance. (1,265 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

It’s not very often you see a label on a brew noting “dry hopped” for a Red Ale, unless yah brewing yourself and you do this action to increase that hop aroma. Well after having a taste of this brew, I just did not get any good emotion. There was plenty of sediment at the bottom, so be aware. Ok there’s a smidgen of hop scent at first sniff, ok so that’s a good thing. Not sure if it’s the Chinook, Centennial or both in the batch during the dry hop. Anyway, I do not want to be long in text and drag this out. Rouge makes better beer than this. I need this on draft to compare the two – bottom line, it was just ok. Don’t get me wrong, maybe I got a sub par batch or maybe there was an elapsed shelf life. A little bitter in the mouth after having a sip or two – like an ESB (which I would have preferred) vs. a red, but just not the malt/hop mix taste that I was looking for in a brew. I’ll look for another tasting opportunity if I can find it on draft. JC (971 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

12 ounce bottle. On sale at $6.99 / sixpack. Lot less reading material on the 12 oz. bottles though.

Dark red to almost brown body, fairly opaque. Three fingers of irregular bone china white froth, good lacing immediately evident.

Aroma started off with a bit of citrus, but that quickly faded away, leaving a bit of candy sweetness.

Taste begins with a big caramel start. The hops never quite come in as big as I expect, just a bit of balance in the middle. Finishes somewhat harsh, a bit ...arid? Dry is a good thing, but this feels like I have a parched spot in the center of my tongue. Hops with sandpaper? Slightly metallic. Not an enjoyable closing sensation.

Mouhfeel is fine. Aftertaste kills drinkability.

Very disappointing. I know this is suppose to be basically the same as Santa's Reserve, but I don't see how. (838 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -32.5%

The look and smell is promising; fruity and malt notes over some biting mops, but I can't stand the taste. Sporting strong hops and carbonation, the bottom of the drink falls out after a second in my mouth. It leaves me with prickly hoppy drink which seems surprisingly thin and light.

While not too bitter, it's also not at all what I expected. I imagine that others would like this brew better, but I did not finish 12 ounces. (430 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

Like the Dead Guy Ale, this felt a little out of place. Caramel and choc, with a typical Rogue hoppyness on the finish, some earthyness notes. Nice flavours, just didn't excite me i guess, nothing really jumped, and althought it was drinkable, it didn't really do anything for me in the end (Bottle-GBBF 03') (308 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Beer pours caramel and red with off white head the lace on the beer is great with nice retention.

Smells of centennial hops mainly due to the dry hopping. Slight roasted notes but not much more.

Taste has that familiar rogues taste as far as hops and yeast go it just does not have much going on its pretty 1 dimensional in my opinion. Hoppy with very slight sweet notes on the palate.

Surprisingly light as far as body goes carbonation is at a good level on the beer. Leaves a lingering bitterness remnant too an IPA.

Over all not really impressed with this rogue i expected more out of it just came off as bland and simple Another beer to mark off the list. But not one I will have again. (695 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

From Jim's, no BB.

Looks the biz on the pour, with a lovely fluffy two to three finger head, but after that all downhill.

Aromas are malt mainly, but the taste is just, erm, not nice. Dry hopped I guess means a dry dry tasting beer, which just does not suit this palate. It's thin and watery, too.

How else can you score a beer, if you genuinely do not actually like the taste??.

Maybe it's the yeast... (407 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

A dark amber American Ale with a mildly sharp smell. This ale is mildly hoppy but has a rich and long-lingering sharp aftertaste. I wasn't overly impressed mostly due to this beer is a little focused on the hops for my taste. There are other Rouge beers that I enjoy better than this one. (288 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -27.3%

Yikes, I think I experienced a Rogue brew that I didn't like somewhat. I saw the reviews for this beer and saw somewhat an above average so I was looking forward to this one. But man, this didn't do it for me. Poured out a murky copper/amber color with some alright carbonation in there. Smell consisted of some piney, caramel, very slight malts, and some hops. It was more like piney hops. Taste was a let down I thought. Hops attack the palate and lasts all the way through the aftertaste. Where were the malts and caramel? It wasn't balanced as I though it was going to be. Along with the hops came some roasted flavors, but not very much. A bit of a let down. (663 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours amber with orange and red tones, one finger head that fades quickly.

S- sweet grains, and bittering hops. Very earthy.

T- resembles smell, sweet and a bit over malty, I honestly can not believe this ale is dry hopped, it had flavors of unfermented malt and early boil bittering hops maybe I need to let this age a bit but as it was already carb bombing a bit when I opened the bottle I don't know if that will help. Bad batch?? Not impressed.

M- plenty of carb, kinda oily. Strange from most ales I've had.

O- at $15 a six pack unless this was a flook bottle I won't be picking this up anymore. It resembles my first home-brew(although this is drinkable) which was poured down the drain due to bad yeast. I was expecting more from rogue. (798 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Red-amber color, nothing descriptively inadequate about the name, on the whole clear, full and lingering head without much lacing. Invasively hoppy nose of bitters, grains, grass, cabbage, mixed white citrus, does consciously present a malty side, the lack of fruit scents contributes to its arid presence in your nostrils. Medium-bodied, stern like a governmental bureaucrat, understands what you want, throws up a wall of impassivity so you never can guess ahead if you will get it. Touch of pine resin, raw dough and yeasts, uncooked oatmeal, following up on the nose, the malts appear to be used exclusively as counter-balance. Dry, and at times bitter, goes for a certain style and damn you if you don't like it. Keeps its foot on your neck way past the finish. If you like super-intensive hops this may be worth the excursion. (832 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle in to a pint glass

Dark redish deep brown colors , small head that goes away fast , no lacing

Not a lot of aroma from the glass , kind of an off smell

Mouthfull is weak , not full at all

Taste is just not working for me , starts off kind of nice but ends with an off taste that is really hard to explain

Overall , maybe I got a bad bottle , an old bottle , it was in a pick 6 and the store is always rotating stock and keeps fresh beer , not too many old beers in there but this very well could have been , I may try another at a different store (568 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bomber poured into pint.

Pours an agressive light tan head. It falls fairly quickly, mounding on it's way down. This allows me to top off the clear red brew.

Aroma is citrus, lightly lemon tea, grassy. Refreshing with little sweetness. Not appropriate for the style, but enjoyable.

Taste starts bready, which a much more typical malt body than the nose lets on. But then it swings heavily towards a dry bitterness. A tea like dry astringency dominates the finish, which I find less than pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a little dry and crisp for an amber.

Not something I would drink again. It's a hard to categorize brew, and it does poorly as an amber/red. But I wouldn't score higher as a specialty either. Rogue puts out some lovely brews but this is a miss with me. (766 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle:

A - Pours a dark amber with deep red highlights. Decent off white foam that sticks around leaving a nice amount of lacing.

S - Juicy hops hit the nose with just a hint of malt way in the back. Impressive aroma on this one!

T - Thin and highly carbonated. So thin it tastes watery. Funny that the smell is still powerful, but the taste isn't there. More bitters than hops on the tongue. No sign of the malt or citrus.

M - Thin in taste, but has a dry finish.

D - Very easy...almost like drinking water (unfortunately).

I've had other offerings from Rogue; their I2PA Imperial India Ale is superb! This one just flat out misses for me. (668 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a large snifter. I figured I would give the hops a chance on this one. Dark cherry red with nice clarity. Small white head that doesnt stay long, no lacing either.

Aroma was certainly hoppy, but not overly. Really, just enough to notice that it was dry hopped. Citrus/orange flavored hops. Not really much else. Maybe some caramel malts, but thats it. I guess the dry hopping kind of subdued all of the other sublte aromas.

The flavor was okay. It wasnt anything special. Sweet up front with some bitterness in the back due to the hops. Seems a bit too hoppy for the style, even though this one is dry hopped. Kind of astringent.

Light bodied, overcarbonated, and astringent in the end. ABV seems pretty low, low enough for this to be sessionable. I wouldnt sit through more than about three of these though. I am on the fence whether or not to recommend this one. Ill jump off the fence and say pass on this one. (953 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours dark amber with creamy off-white head that has some retention and forms nice rings on the glass as I drink. Aroma is about half and half of hops and malt. At first I thought it was predominantly hops, but after smelling more, there's definite malt aroma too. Medium to full bodied. There is nothing spectacular about tasting this brew. There's some malt. There's some NW hops. But I'm also getting a slightly astringint off-flavor on the tongue and especially lingering after I drink. This is one that I ordered from Vintage Cellar and maybe it had been sitting too long. If not, this is a very average brew from an outstanding brewery. Probably the worst Rogue beer I've had in years. (701 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle purchased recently.

Appearance is a nice red/auburn color. Smelled ok, but didn't have the big citrusy hop aroma I was hoping for in a dry-hopped ale. Taste was also disappointing as it seemed almost a bit sour. Mouthfeel was fine and the drinkability would have been good had I enjoyed the flavor more. (318 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

Dark red color with a large foamy head. Sticky lace storm in my glass and retention that leaves an archepelago of foamy islands floating around.

Smells of fruity citrus hop with honey and shortcake malt with raisins. Fruity hops don't linger too long though and the scent becomes primarily grapefruit.

Tastes mainly of grapefruit hop with oatmeal cookie malt. Pleasant earthy bitter in back. Mouthfeel is a thin with a crisp swallow.

Overall the oatmeal cookie malt and grapefruit hop don't mesh well for me. (511 characters)

St. Rogue Red from Rogue Ales