St. Rogue Red - Rogue Ales

St. Rogue RedSt. Rogue Red

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Rogue Red Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Well this one pours a beautiful copper color with a very pleasing red hue. Head retention is full and lacey and foamy.

Smell: The smell is that of charachteristics of Rogue's own chocolate stout. It carries an aroma filled with chocolate malt hints and floral aromas hoppy to which I thought fit this brew rather well.

Taste: Is well balanced just the right touch of hops and malt. The mouthfeel was bubbly yet smooth.

Overall I would say this one ranks very well as one of my favorite brews. Very well crafted Cheers!

horshack7, Jan 21, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a nice consistency, with a huge head that is quite persistent throughout the drinking. The color is an amber brown. Quite beautiful.

Smells wonderful, fruity toffee notes, but the aroma is not as strong as the flavor.

Tastes great. I loved this beer. Very creamy and smooth tasting, with dominating malt flavors. The hops are there in the background, but the finishing taste is without a question complex and malty.

The carbonation is abundant, but it goes down smooth. This is a medium bodied beer.

Quite drinkable, I will certainly buy it again and again.

beersarang, Jan 14, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

12/21/04 @ the old bay new brunswick, nj

appearance:
lovely deep and consistent red, nice lacing (not other worldly but very nice), the lace did play nicely along the sides of the glass (pint).

nose:
oh man.. (cartman voice) "oh schweet hops ohhh". this is crazy, this nose made me nearly drool, I kid you not. this was out of a pint glass, in a goblet this would be like dumping kournikova to get angelina jolie ! man alive this nose is like sierra nevada (remember the 1st time you had it) on CRACK. wonderfull bouquet, reminded me of the Hazed and Infused beer except this one backs up the bark

taste/mouthfeel/drinkability:
if there is a better red for hop heads, preach it to me brother! it has the bite and hook of good IPAs but that red subtlety, a little spice thrown in for good measure but spice just short enough of say sierra nevada's celebration. session beer? hell, pull up a chair and let's get some Hold 'Em goin' on. The carbonation is just right, enough to tap you on the shoulder, not enough to make you burp like your dad at weddings.

verdict:
get me another beer wench ! they didnt have growlers available.. godamn it ! There were other interesting brews on tap (not many as the old bay has really gone down hill) but this one was captivating. The old dog has learned some new tricks and won't go down so easily.. Rogue continues to impress as they become in a wierd way the elder statesmen of the new wave of american micros.

Ego, Dec 27, 2004

Remarkably better than what I was expecting. It poured much darker and thicker than I thought it would. There was a full thick head that would never quite go away and create a line of lace for every sip I took. Also much maltier. The hops were there (very smooth) but the malts took over. I really enjoyed the toffee and cream flavors. All in all, a very rich beer that I would greatly enjoy again.

MuddyFeet, Dec 24, 2004

This beer is a rich clear red ale with a short head that leaves good lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of aromatic hops and a hint of pine, with some medium bodied malts.

The taste is initially quite bitter, with a medium bodied malt middle, and a smooth, slightly bitter, slightly roasted malt finish.

Another great brew from Rogue! Find it and try it if you haven't already had the pleasure, you'll be glad you did.

connecticutpoet, Nov 12, 2004

Pours a deep red color-I like 'em red! Thin head, not much lace. Smell is malty sweet, very similar to the American Amber ale. (I love beers that smell this way.) Tastes very good, with a slightly bitter afterstaste. It has a rather thin mouthfeel at first, but that gets better as the beer warms.

Overall, this is a tasty brew. Nothing too flashy, just a good, solid, easy drinking ale.

skybluewater, Nov 08, 2004

Served in a pint glass at San Diego Brewing Co. Called Rogue Red on the board

This beer arrived as a deep dark ruby brew. It actually had bright purple tints at the bottom from reflection from the arcade machines in the back I think. Neat. Very dark. Poured with a wisp of head that coalesced into tiny colonies of white film (which unforunately reminds me of mold). Smell of grains slightly roasted and slightly chocolatey. Taste is a rumbling of rich chocolate and slightly roasted grains. Thick maltiness. Moderate hop bitterness bite with less hop flavor. Finish is middling. Full bodied nectar.

Overall: a delicious hearty brew with lots of malt and not so much hops.

oggg, Oct 24, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Another tasty Rogue brew? Hell yeah, these guys cannot be beaten. Appearance is dark brown with a tall and creamy head. Aroma is full and very inviting. Smell is fairly malty, much maltier than the beer tastes, but hops have a strong presence too. Taste begins with piney hops, becomes nicely balanced towards the middle, and finishes mildly sweet. Very enjoyable overall, creamy mouthfeel just adds to the goodness. More anything from Rogue please.

Gagnonsux, Oct 20, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +23%

Really a very tasty brew. Reminds me a lot of their Santa's Special Reserve or whatever its called.

Decent looking brew. Deep red with a nice sized head that wasn't terribly persistant but could be quickly summoned with a swift swirl of the glass.

Decent nose. Fruity, citrusy nutty. Very nice.

The flavor of this beer is just incredible. Really rich and clean at the same time hop flavors. Citrusy and nutty with a decent bitterness that makes this beer quite quaffable. The most impressive component of the flavor to me though is the tea like notes that are so strong in this beer. Very nice nutty maltyness.

Mouthfeel, as with most Rogue's, was thin. But no big problem. Made this brew really drinkable.

I could drink this all night long...in fact I bought a growler and did just that!

cerevisiaephilus, Oct 09, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

Wow. This one was beer that stood out from the rest at the Rogue brewery. As I sat and sipped on Brutal Bitter, one of my all-time favorites, a tiny slurp of the wifey's St. Rogue awakened an unsurpassed hop-craving. I called for a pint: this is the review that resulted.

Looking the hybrid between amber and brown ale, St. Rogue red sits in the glass looking instantly devourable. The nose is spectacularly hoppy, running the gamut from citrusy, grapefruity, lemony, and more than anything, shockingly reminiscent of when I stuck me head in a bag of whole-leaf hops in York England.

I am suddenly back on the malting floor, sucking the flowery acids from the flakes in my mouth.

The gummy malt mouthfeel is perfectly balanced by the late-addition hops and deliberately leveling dry-hop. This was one fantastic beer.

GreenWBush, Oct 04, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

A deep ruby blood-red with a milky white head, awesome contrast, one of the coolest looking beers I've seen.

Has a well-balanced malt vs. spicy bitter flavor with a hint of butterscotch. Some milk-duds in there as well. Kind of chewy but smooth going down, very drinkable. I can't believe I hadn't had this one before. But then again, so many beers...

PopeJonPaul, Sep 21, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a cloudy copper-red, topped with a one finger tan head, leaves a sheet of lacing demarked with thicker rings showing each sip.
Nice robust malty aroma - lots of caramel, earthy, pine notes.
Pine, floral, citrus rind, with a nice malt balance. But too much pine.
Medium-full bodied

mschofield, Sep 20, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Reddish amber or amberish red, take your pick. The head is toasted ecru in color, rich and creamy in consistency and looks to be a pretty good lacer. And in fact, the semi-sticky cap deposits beautiful, tenacious, abstract-patterned lace as it moves up with each addition of beer to the glass and down with drinking.

The strength of the nose leaves something to be desired, but the content is tough to fault. There's a sizable caramel malt load, yet the hops are clearly in charge. More aromaticity and in-your-nose hoppiness and St. Rogue Red would be edging into IPA territory.

Most beer of this style is underhopped and relies too much on malt for flavor (spoken like a true hophead). Leave to Rogue to deliver their trademark jacked-up hoppiness with a couple of beauties: Centennial and Chinook. Sweet caramel/toffee is countered by loads of spicy, pine sap soaked grapefruit peel. The hop bill was an inspired choice, I wouldn't change it even if I could.

Both malt and hops are present in abundance, but neither one wears out its welcome. There are no sharp edges with regards to the flavor profile, just pure, polished perfection. This is one of the easiest drinking beers with this much flavor that I've run across in a good, long while. The body is medium with a nod towards full and the mouthfeel borders on silky. Damn this is good beer. The dry hopped version must be awe inspiring.

This bomber has been in my beer fridge for months at least. I kept passing it over for more interesting looking fare, but I now realize how mistaken I was. St. Rogue Red is one fabulous red ale, maybe the best that I've had. It's also one of my favorite Rogue beers and that's saying something.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 04, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +4%

Pours a dark cherry wood color with tan head that is impressive to the eye, lacing is excellent. The smell is strong of cherries and caramel. A nice blend with the floral/citrus hops. The taste is strong of syrup and molasses with a gorgeous blend of floral poppiseed hops, very fresh to the taste. Medium bodied and very drinkable.

beertaster13, Aug 30, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured slightly hazy. Bright burgundy/red in color and topped with a full head of creamy foam. A wall of sticky foam coated the entire top half of the glass. The aroma yields a beautifully sweet floral-like hoppiness, with strawberries, orange liqueur and even a hint of lavender. The taste has notes of bittersweet black cherries, with a sweet malt body. Tangy, nice body, full flavored and the finish makes you smack your lips for more. One I would surely revisit.

pezoids, Aug 29, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

This is a very dark ruby color, almost brown. Nice rocky tan head that blows up and settles down to a thin sheet.
Lots of malt in the aroma. Tons of carmel and toffee. Slight hints of hops in the background.
Taste is mostly malt as well. A biscuity flavor hits up front followed by a strong carmel taste. This beer has a nice toastiness to the flavor as well. A noticable amount of diacetyl on the finish, almost too much. Not much hops to speak of through the whole beer, just enough to balance out all that malt.
A drinkable beer, I come back to it from time to time.

Bruiser81, Aug 26, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

On tap at KClinger's. Mmm, dry hopped.

Apperance: Looks a somewhat darker reddish brown than the original. Slight haziness lets less light through. A medium retention head of off white crowns the beer. Nice.

Smell: Mmmm. Awesome sniffability. A sweet succulent hop flavor pours from this; neat and leafy hops lend a tart and crisp scent to the sweetness of the malt.

Taste: Excellent. This is a nice round beer by itself, with sweet carmel malt and light bitterness. Toss in the dry hopping and you've got yourself a winner. Much more bitterness, but not in the IPA style of hop-bombing. The Centennial hops add a new layer of complexity which gives this a sour finish that combines nicely with the sweetness of the malt to end fruity and sweet. I really like this version.

Mouthfeel: Nicely balanced, not overly carbonated and not too thick. An easy feel through and through.

Drinkability: I could have had these all night. Awesome beer, and a great one to have over and over.

99bottles, Aug 17, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance:

Pours a very distinctive clear reddish-brown with about an inch of tan head that slowly settles, lacing as it goes.

Smell:

A definite hop presence predominates this one, but a strong malt undertone exists as well. Piques the interest, and hints at a well balanced beer.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Carbonation is a little coarse on this one, but forgivable. Hops assault the senses with the first sip, evoking a feeling of pine, though this is followed (by midsip) with a pleasant maltiness that tempers the bitter hops. By the end of the sip the hops are back in force. The well balanced smell promised in the nose does not bear fruit in the taste. Hops dominate too much here.

cbl2, Aug 03, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

Rogue makes two versions of this; one for the bottle and the other dry-hopped for the keg. I had a pint of the dry-hopped version at Rogue’s Public House in Newport. It was the reddest red I’ve ever seen. And I know my reds.

My St. Rogue Red came with a tall head that collapsed gracefully, leaving a wide swath of lace in its wake. The body was pure, clear crimson. A crystalline malt profile flows like a mountain stream through a hop canyon. And those hops toss out an aroma that is fragrant, floral, and vastly abundant.

St. Rogue Red achieves a fine balance of momentous proportions. This beer is so smooth and so drinkable; it makes me sad to think of those poor lost souls who still drink Bud.

RedDiamond, Jul 28, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a 650 ml brown bottle, label is 2 colour silk-screened, a nice touch with the list of ingredients printed onto the bottle. The head on the pour seemed a bit stunted, but provided a decent off-white cap, with some lacing. The body is a hazed burnished amber. There is a distinct presence of worty malt on the nose, followed by more subdued herbal hops, a bit of pine or spruce. Almost cloyingly sweet malt upfront on the flavour, very worty, with some spruce hanging low in the middle, with the hops finally managing to cut through the malt sweetness on the aftertaste.

Yet when I pour the rest of the bottle into my pint glass the flavour balances out more, the malt becomes more subdued and the hops really kick in. Even the sweetness on the aroma tames down. Very curious. Still, it went from a far too sweet red to an average red ale now. Mouthfeel is full bodied all the way through, it blankets the palate all the way down.

This is only my second sample of of Rogue beer, which was somewhat disappointing, but I know they have better out there, and I look forward to trying more all the same.

IronDjinn, Jul 10, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Yikes, I think I experienced a Rogue brew that I didn't like somewhat. I saw the reviews for this beer and saw somewhat an above average so I was looking forward to this one. But man, this didn't do it for me. Poured out a murky copper/amber color with some alright carbonation in there. Smell consisted of some piney, caramel, very slight malts, and some hops. It was more like piney hops. Taste was a let down I thought. Hops attack the palate and lasts all the way through the aftertaste. Where were the malts and caramel? It wasn't balanced as I though it was going to be. Along with the hops came some roasted flavors, but not very much. A bit of a let down.

necoadam, Jul 08, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Maroon-hinted copper under a surplus of sculptable tan foam. Translucent bordering on opaque.
Nose full of toasted dark breads and (to a smaller extent) conifers.
Begins with a broad maltiness, featuring the raisin bread that Munich provides. There are drier malts in here too, adding buried crackers and dough. Toffee hues provide sweetness. Hopping is visible more by way of bitterness, with minimal carry-over flavors. It concludes with a metallic astringency and muted pine flourishes augmented by parched, spice-less pepper (which I know from experience is not from their Pacman yeast) .
At times, an Oktoberfest is suggested, but the hops and general ale-ness preclude that. Red Ale it is, then.
Even Rogue's steadfast mouthfeel seems diminished here. It comes across as wide, but diluted.
Whereas American Amber ascends above a sometimes mundane style, St Rogue Red does not. That's not to say this is awful, just standardized and forgettable.

cokes, Jul 06, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Served as a sample at KClinger's in Etters. The color was amber, with a wispy white head. The smell had some grassy hoppiness. The taste was a very dry grassy hop bitterness, with some malt coming through. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, this is one I could have several of.

Another solid Rogue beer, and one I'd been meaning to try for a while. They certainly make some good hop beers, and this is no exception, and one I'd gladly have again.

beergeek279, Jun 30, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Beautiful red-brown color, medium, bubbly head.

Nose is ful of malt and grain but with a slight hint of flowery hops pushing through as well.

Medium body with a good carbonation feeling. Big malt feel that mixes with a nice sweetness. Slight husk/grain flavors come through along with a crisp, flowery hops feel. A light sweet aftertaste lingers.

A decent beer, but I've never been the biggest red ale fan and this didn't make me one.

Southernbrew, Jun 10, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

Hmm, where's the hops? I normally enjoy this as dry hopped red on draft, which basically rules. This was a totally different beer experience, so different, I thought I was drinking an octoberfest...Anyway, beer was a medium reddish amber, low to no head, aroma was on the malty side. The mouthfeel was definitely full...very thick and almost, but not quite, syrupy. The oddest thing about this one was when drinking the initial taste was of some hop bitterness, followed by full-on maltiness...bit of a reverse from the normal process. I'll be honest, I thought the hops got a bit lots...this is a decidedly malty brew. Wasn't that impressed with the mouthfeel...it was about the thickest I've ever experienced in a beer. I'll stick with the draft dry hop version, which I love.

PatandDavid, Jun 05, 2004