2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Über Pils - Rogue Ales

Ãœber PilsÃœber Pils

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: meathookjones on 01-15-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 230 | Reviews: 214 | Show All Ratings:
KroMagnon

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

The head is nice but the beer is a little cloudy, which I dinged them on a touch. The aroma, however, is superb - clean, clean clean with nice minty hops notes and an underlying maltiness. The flavor is great - crisp, dry, but still malty and nicely bittered, very well balanced. The bitterness initially seems subdued, just well balanced, but the aftetaste leaves no doubt that this is aggressively hopped. Wonderful!! Its a different kind of hops and hoppiness than a pale ale. I think this may be the best German pilsner I've had, which admittedly doesn't mean a lot (I haven't had many legitimate ones) but this is great.

09-19-2005 01:22:00 | More by KroMagnon
DogFood11

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

Brewers that try to make a great beer even out of styles that are hard to push the envelope hold a special place in the DogFood household. Rogue once again impress with a fine version of a rather modest style. Poured into a pilsener glass the head jumps to a solid inch and is held up for a minute or so and fades to a thin film. Chill haze but when it cleared it was an orange tinted off yellow. I was all over the aroma coming from a simple 7 ingredient beer. Yeast jumps out right off the bat like a czech pils almost but with more of a malted backdrop. I didn't notice the sterling hop presence until the first sample and Blaaammmooo! the hops are up front and personal, solid malted body, and finishes with the czech type yeasted pilsener zip. Smoooth as can be as they've tempered the carbonation. This was so easily put down in a matter of a minutes that I will venture back to Whole Foods tomorrow to stock up on these 22oz bombers. Price? ehhh its a great beer and we gotta pay for it although the silk screen bottles does seem like a bit much. Hell, sell it to me a 40oz with a label that says Rogue Uber Pilsener and I'm all over it because the price seems high....doesn't affect my ranking though its a winner. Best Pilsner I've had the honor to consume.

09-01-2005 02:04:52 | More by DogFood11
JackTheRipper

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

Wow do I love this beer.
A: Pale honey color. Clear. Initial 1" head is now a thin layer of clingy suds. Looks good.

S: Malty, with a bit of orange zest in there. Faint smell of bread. No sulfur or DMS.

T: Superb. Crisp and clean. Malts and hops are just about perfectly balanced. There's a spicy undertone here. Finish is a nicely lingering hop bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, a bit dry perhaps. Alcohol feel is low, carbonation couldn't be better.

D&N: I may have a new favorite beer. It's hard for me to find fault with this one, but I feel funny sometimes giving straight 5's. This beer looks and smells great, the taste is just incredible, and this is the first time I've opened a bomber, so now that this pint is finished, I know I have more just waiting for me. Outstanding beer, and highest recommendations to try. You won't be disappointed.

04-29-2005 12:36:05 | More by JackTheRipper
Mitchster

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

From the website: A German style Pilsner, pale gold in color, medium bodied with a malty aroma and a crisp hop bitterness (100% Sterling hops). Uber Pils is brewed with three Great Western and two Weyermann malts, Czech Pils Yeast and Free Range Coastal Waters.

Measurements: 13-degrees plato, 35 IBUs, 77 AA, 6 degrees lovibond.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden to light honey-colored amber, forming an impressively sticky bone white head with superior retention and gorgeous lacing. Carbonation is moderate and not overly spritzy like many Euro-pils can be. The aroma is just beautiful and trademark quality pils with fresh floral hops, super clean ferment with a trademark pils yeast profile, and freshly cut hay. Brisk and clean refreshing mouthfeel with a wonderfully zippy bite. Wow. This stuff is amazing. The taste begins with very abundant floral hops, more aggressively hopped than is traditional for the American rip-offs but closer to authentic German Pils. Tons of hop flavor, but when combined with the clean and brisk mouthfeel, the freshly cut hay and delicate malt body, it all comes off like...like...an Uber Pils! (and not a pale ale or IPA as one might think based upon my description). This is very interesting as I would have told you Saaz by the nose and taste, but the Sterling hops are just perfect for this brew. The finish is dry and makes you want to drink more with a distant reminiscent sweetness lingering on the tip of the tongue.

This is just wonderful stuff from a world-class, top-notch brewery. Rogue never ceases to amaze me with the consistently high-quality stuff they put out. One of the best Pils I've ever had, up there with fresh Blue Paddle on tap. Amazing!

03-07-2005 22:55:37 | More by Mitchster
moocey

Alabama

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

Hot damn. This is one tasty brew!

It smells of sweet, sweet malt and just a hint of crisp hoppiness.

Appearance? At first I'm double checking my bottle to make sure I'm still drinking a Rogue, because this is the lightest Rogue I've ever seen. It's a gold/yellow color. However, I notice that despite it's light color, it's a translucent cloudy Rogue thru-and-thru. I can't make out my hand through the glass.

Taste - Such beautiful simplicity. Lightly sweet malt up front, crisp, spicy floral hop flavor, and a crisp, moderatly bitter finish. I can't imagine it tasting any better.

Drinkability? This is the very definition of "session beer"

04-19-2005 17:34:40 | More by moocey
MmmIPA

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Golden body with a small white head that went away fast.Leaves some nice lacing on the glass and lots of carbonation bubbles coming up from the bottem of the glass.

S-Lemon and some malt.

T-Lemon and some bitterness hops at the end of the sip.The malt taste good in this,nothing overpowers the other ingredients.As I finish my first glass, I cant help but to think that I taste some Dead guy ale in this, could it be the pac man yeast?I taste lemon at the end of my sip also.

M-Thin tasting but very refreshing.It goes down very smooth and taste very "high class" im used to drinking Lion's Head,so this stuff is grand compared to that.

D-Well done Rogue, I wish I could find some of Rogues best beers in 6 packs,cause the 22 oz. bomber just aint enough.Ide drink this all day and I reccomend this beer to any civilized beer drinker. :)

11-16-2006 15:55:36 | More by MmmIPA
Higravity

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I doesn't get much better than this for a pils. After a few PBR and a Budweiser at a dive I had one of these bad boys to wash my mouth out. Beautiful bold golden color topped with a true white head and tons of lacing. The smell is of a slight grass with a spice citrus backed up by the sweetness of the malt. A great taste too nice light malt with ahint of alcohol cut through and balanced nicely by the noble hops. I could drink this anytime anywhere.

02-03-2006 19:51:00 | More by Higravity
marcobrau

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Hoppy, hoppy; joy, joy. What a fantastic pilsner. Excelllent bright white head and golden color with zesty, spicy aroma. More spicy hops on the palate with a dry and bitter finish. Dextrin malts firm up and fortify this pilsner allowing it to support plenty of IBUs for the style. I may have a new favorite Pils. A very refreshing pilsner beer.

02-23-2005 02:35:24 | More by marcobrau
HugoGrim

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pilsner glass.

A shade darker than your standard pils, and not crystal clear but quite cloudy. Aggressive pour produced a nice head which shrunk, but stuck around. Minimal lace.

Something about the aroma is distinctly Rogue, something sweet, though I can't put my finger on it. If you put this beer in front of me without telling me what it was I could have recognized it as a Rogue brew. Maybe it's the type of malts they use. For a style that doesn't normally pack much in the nose, this holds it's own. Hints of lemon in the background.

Excellent hop profile for the style, balanced and not overpowering. Crisp and clean flavor with a sweetness of full malts balancing the hops. There are so many weak pilsners out there it is quite refreshing to be reminded what this style can really be.

This is one of, if not the best pilsner I've had to date; matched only by Victory's Prima Pils. It paired excellently with a ginger marinated tuna steak and mixed vegetables.

09-16-2006 00:33:21 | More by HugoGrim
santoslhalper

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearence: Pours a wonderful glowing gold with a thin, bubble white head. Clarity is perfect.

Smell: The smell is a well rounded malt and hop smell, with a slight fruity tone to it.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is incredibly crisp and refreshing. Very smooth, clean, balanced and still interesting. The balance achieved is wonderful for a pilsener, not very hop focused, but it still works. The floral and earthy notes really pull it all together in the end.

Drinkability and Overall: A wonderful, wonderful pilsener. One of the best I've had to date. Incredibly refreshing. Unbelievably so. Rogue really kicked some ass with this.

03-08-2005 05:34:34 | More by santoslhalper
alexgash

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Effervescent body of deep golden straw, topped by a voluminous and voluptuous white head. Very nice looking pilsner. Aromas of floral sea-air hops erupt with the pour, while honey sweet bread malts come through as the beer settles. Strong hop aroma persists, and is quite noble. Dry, bready malt flavors up front. Faint sweetness, but very *malty*. Hops come on strong, as expected/hoped, with a wallop of bitter, floral, perfumey goodness. They have that slight sea-air funk that I like in a good pilsner. In the direction of Prima Pils, yep. Finish stays bitter with some flashes of honey bread malt. Delicious. Medium bodied with a lively, bottle conditioned feel. Better than the 12th street pilsner (although similar). Expceptional drinkablity: I just wish I could get this on-tap at the local hole. Sigh...

08-02-2005 23:45:44 | More by alexgash
twelvsies

Maine

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

This is an excellent beer. When I first got into good beer I think I was attracted to all the stouts and double IPAs that seem to be the rage now, but the more I drink, the more I appreciate these more subtle, yet totally tasty and overlooked styles. Appears a light straw color with hints of orange, and a really impressive head for a pilsner. Sticks around for a little while and then reduces to a thin coating of tiny bubbles. Smells of spicy hops, black pepper, and a nice Czech malt scent. I really don't know what the specific difference is in the Czech malt but it's listed as an ingredient and I can definately taste the influence it has on this beer. I love how Rogue lists their ingredients on the bottle, very informative. Taste is subtly complex. Perfectly balanced to start off, with the Czech malt and spicy Sterling hops playing off of each other. Spicyness galore, and a clean wheaty yeasty taste with a dusty dry bite to it. Pleasantly bitter. Super smooth mouthfeel and refreshing on the palate, another great beer for the summer, but I bet this is good anytime of year. Super drinkable as well. Uber indeed.

08-13-2005 16:21:33 | More by twelvsies
Wasatch

Utah

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Pours a deep yellow color, nice carbonation, nice head, and tons of lacing through out the drink.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops, and spices.

T - The taste is awesome for a pilsner, nice sweet malty with a slight hopping finish.

M - Medium body with some carbonation. A very well rounded pilsner.

D - Very drinkable. This is the best pilsner I've ever had hands down, it actually does not remind me of a pilsner. I just about gave up on pilsner's, but after drinking this awesome brew, I will buy again for sure. Highly recommend to others as well. Way to go Rogue!

02-06-2006 23:21:04 | More by Wasatch
ellisdee97

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Pours light gold with light head which quickly dissapates yet leaves a nice light ring. Nice lacing.

S: Hops. Strong hops with the yeast give an almost fruity kick with a hint of honey. Fresh water hidden beneath.

T: Refreshing, like a hop tea. Has the normal pilsner taste with the kick of some wonderful hops.

M: Again refreshing with a nice hop aftertaste. Finally dries out a few seconds later.

D: Thank god I have only one bomber, cause I could drink this all night.

Rouge is still tops in my book. This is a solid kick ass pilsner.
Uber Pils...Cheers!

05-25-2006 00:56:44 | More by ellisdee97
Zorro

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear gold colored beer.

Smell is spicy Saaz hops all the way. Pleasant grain scent and an earthy aroma from the hops.

Taste is a bit sweet with the Saaz hops on your tongue from the first taste. Spicy and a little bit of sourness from the hops are the main flavors here. Ballsey use of the hops here, sort of a Czech version of a hop monster. Fairly bitter aftertaste that cleans the palette very well.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable, but this isn't just another lackluster Pilsner from an American brewery. This is a Pilsner that hasn't been dumbed down and throttled back on the hop levels. I could drink a lot of this if it were a bit cheaper. For the price I don't want another Pilsner Urquell imitator; I want something that is bigger than that. This is most certainly "Bigger Than That."

02-03-2005 03:33:56 | More by Zorro
fromage

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Good lord, what a completely different beer than the one I recently tried in a bottle! It must have been older than I thought. I hope they start putting this in 6 packs soon. I can't imagine why anyone would prefer Warsteiner or Urquell or any other import I've had to this.

Anyway, even served in a pint glass, it looked great already. Big creamy head that left lacing for the whole glass, light amber color with just a bit of carbonation.

Smell was citrusty and sweet, a bit of grass, some kiwi, and some vanilla in the background. Maybe a tiny tiny tiny hint of the sulphur/rubber I tasted before.

Taste was to match the smell for the most part. Just a bit of caramel malt, but the refreshing citrus really came through. It actually reminded me of Bell's 2 hearted, since it had not much body and a good deal of citrusy hop bite.

Clean aftertaste, here's where the vanilla comes in, after the citrus fades away. Not too sticky. Creamy, medium mouthfeel.

Insanely drinkable. Definitely one of Rogue's best.

10-04-2005 12:32:21 | More by fromage
jmz62565

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This pours a golden straw color with a large creamy head.As it sits the head leaves a nice lacing behind.The aroma is one of the best I've smelled.There is a strong floral and earthy scent with this beer.The taste is also very good with a real crisp, clean, floral,creamy flavor.The m/f is light with a well balanced flavor.This is an excellent pilsner and I would absolutely buy this again.It is a little hard to find thu.

12-05-2005 21:57:48 | More by jmz62565
Bighuge

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Deep golden tone. Slightly hazy. Thin ivory white head. Nice bready malt based aroma with a shot of spicy hops as well. Very enjoyable nose and quite pronounced. Bready malts lay a nice foundation here. Hay like properties accent. Some snappy hoppiness compliments nicely. Peppery, flowery and grassy. Very agreeable pilsner. It really cut through the aftermath of a day long eating session of chocolate, ham and hard boiled eggs quite nicely.

03-28-2005 04:15:11 | More by Bighuge
nrrd

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Pilsner is a style of beer that I'm not usually a huge fan of, which is why I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed the Rogue Uber Pilsner. It came in a Bomber and remained very drinkable and smooth the entire way.

The beer poured a brownish yellow with a nice head that went down a little too quickly. Aroma of slightly citrusy hops led me to believe that this would be hoppier than it was. In fact this beer is very nicely balanced, good hop character while not being overly bitter. There is a strong malt character as well and something a little bit spicy in the finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, it was a perfect refreshment after a long day at work.

06-18-2005 01:59:37 | More by nrrd
scruffwhor

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Appearance- Poured into a pils glass which produced a half finger head and some excellent, vibrant lace. A darker golden straw with hints of amber.

Smell- Slightly floral with a unmistakeable hops air.

Taste- Very malty for a pils. The balance between light malts and floral hops is excellent. Slitghly embracing hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel- Very clean and crisp, and refreshing. With a remarkablely sweet aftertaste for a pils.

Drinkability- Excellent, give me one after another all day.

This beer surprised me the first time I tried. Im not a big pilsner drinker, but this beer is a step above all the others I've ever had. None of that dry skunky like flavor that comes to mind mind when I think of PILS. But definetly my favorite Pilsner thus far. Try this beer.

12-22-2005 23:58:20 | More by scruffwhor
TastyTaste

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A very good example of a high quality pilsner. Pours a light gold color, very big head after an aggresive pour. Smell has some very clean grassy malts and a nice hops presence. Superior to most of the euros pilsners that make it to America, I still don't know if this was worth $4.50. If you want a solid pilsner, this is it.

07-05-2005 13:33:02 | More by TastyTaste
ElGordo

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a rich deep golden hue with a smallish white head. Very nice carbonation - the bubbles keep coming for a very long time after the pour. Nice crisp, clean aroma of spicy hops and German yeast. Beautiful, rich palate of fruity hops, tempered by a light maltiness and a touch of fruity yeast. Flavor mellows into a slight hoppy bitterness towards the back of the mouth. Mouthfeel is wonderful - smooth, slightly creamy, and a tad buttery. Wow, if it weren't for the $4.99 price tag, I'd drink this every day.

02-12-2005 03:44:17 | More by ElGordo
Mark

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer poured a cloudy deep gold that bordered on light amber. It's pure white head was thick and rich, solid lacing adorned the glass. Interesting. A nice earthy aroma was quite different from most Pils I have had, still the sweet malts were there and hints of grass. Nice sweet malt taste, with snappy hops and a crisp finish. A very drinkable Pils that I enjoyed much more than I expected to. A winner.

07-10-2005 14:38:16 | More by Mark
Butch

Mississippi

Sampled 23 April 2007

22 oz bottle (45o), poured into 2 pilsner glasses

Color & Head: Very cloudy and opaque. Dark yellow with a great dense head.

Aroma: Very malty in smell. Much sweeter than other pils I’ve had, no hops at all.

Taste: Very sweet. Very malty. Not dry and crisp like most pils. Low hop character.

Notes: Different, but good. I enjoyed it a lot. I will definitely get this again the very next chance I get. I’m anxious to try it again.

Butch

04-24-2007 21:07:25 | More by Butch
dsa7783

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

One of my all-time favorite brews from the myriad of samples produced by Rogue, this is a classic example of a German Pilsener, and perhaps one of the best I've ever sampled... Bought this from Madison Wines and Liquors, as I had previously never seen this Rogue selection in any other liquor stores... Pours an attractive cloudy, hazy yellow / orange color with modest head which soon dissipated... some carbonation visible... smell is full of slight hops, oranges, citrus... taste complements the aroma, with a slick, crisp, refreshing taste which hits home and truly saftisfies... no bitterness here, just pure flavor with a classic Pilsener taste that really goes above and beyond... excellent mouthfeel and ultra-easy drinkability make this one of the better selections from Rogue... Outstanding depiction of the style and definitely recommended...

01-16-2008 00:10:44 | More by dsa7783