Über Pils - Rogue Ales

Ãœber PilsÃœber Pils

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: meathookjones on 01-15-2005)
2.63/5  rDev -32.7%

A-The pour reveals a richly golden beer with an enormous, rocky head that perists through much of the imbibing experience, leaving plenty of lacey residuals on the sides of the drained glass. Rather an impressive sight.

S-There is a hint of malt in the aroma, but I also detected banana notes that seem more at home in an ale than in a German pilsner. No hop aroma.

T-The malt detected in the aroma plays out sweetly on the tongue, but the sterling hops (variety indicated on the bottle) are a let-down. They bring a cattiness to the beer that does not compliment the malt the way noble hops would complement a European pilsner.

M-The texture of this beer is thin, compared to other rogue brews, and the malt in the aroma had me expecting something with a little more body.

Lately, I find myself really enjoying pilsners, but this one is not a beer I am likely to try again. It is my least favorite of the Rogue beers I have tried, and a disappointment as a pilsner.

pweis909, Dec 21, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -32.7%

Got high hopes for this one - I loves me a well-made pilsner.

appearance: A little darker than most pilsners, but still golden in hue. HEAVY carbonation from the bottle supports a thick, pillow head the color of sand. Slightly hazy on the pour, more akin to a hefe than a pils, so I took some off. Good lacing effects.

smell: Fresh and hoppy. High notes of light malt as well. There's a cloying sweetness suggested there before it even hits the tongue.

taste: Sweetness promised in the nose delivers here. Not sure what to make of this. More akin to a sweetened alcoholic tea than a Bavarian pilsner. Not light enough, not refreshing enough, not...pilsner-y enough.

mouthfeel: None of the characteristic scouring you'd expect. Sticks to your taste buds like an ale, not a lager

drinkability: Is this a more authentic pilsner than I'm used to? I don't think so, since I've had German pilsners that seem to reflect the style much better than this. Not a bad beer, but disappointing given what I was looking for. Back to Germany for the real deal, I suppose. Not a bad beer, though.

Hunter, Jul 04, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Pours a bright golden amber with a creamy, compact white head that laces deep into the glass. Out of the bottle, this lager displays a slight hint of haze that is far from unappealing.

S: Sweet and a touch maltier than expected on the nose. Aromas of caramel, straw, grass, herbs, and honey are very apparent.

T: Opens oddly sweet with notes of honey, straw, hay, grass, cream, minerals, caramel, and herbs. The finish is fleeting and rather sweet with notes of honey, caramel, and grass being dominant.

M: This is where I have to knock off major points. Despite being medium to full bodied for the style, this beer is flabby, slick, and gritty in the mouth. It does not feel like any kind of pilsner I've ever tried.

O: I find this lager to be quite lacking and do not see myself revisiting it, though part of me hopes I got a bad bottle. Perhaps Rogue just doesn't do lagers all that well (that's my opinion at least). A surprisingly underwhelming effort from a consistent brewery.

mrfrancis, Nov 06, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a cloudy, straw-colored brew with a nice head.
Smell of malt and yeast quickly noticeable, but also a seemingly off smell of ...vinegar?
Initial malt taste is good, then a bit of sourness, then the bitterness, but the sour taste lingers.
Smooth beer, but does not have the crisp malt and bitterness typical of the style. Wouldn't necessarily reach for this one again.

revolution, Jul 15, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

Oops, this is classified as a German Pilsner? I thought German Pilsners are supposed to be KRISTAL KLAR? This brew, however, is not crystal clear. This is uber cloudy, but is still quite bubbly like a good pils. This has a sticky pure white head, and stick well until the end. This does taste like a typical pils, though. Very grainy and bittersweet. This does not feel as clean as a pils. It is very powdery and leaves me trying to lick the roof of my mouth clean.

TheSarge, Feb 06, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured pale gold with a half finger head that turns into a nice lacing.
Aroma is pale...a little toasted malt...a little soft hops.
Taste is a little citrus and softly sharp hops but with a little sulfer aftertaste...almost skunky although there is no skunk to the aroma.
Aftertaste is clean and fresh but with slight lingering sulfer
Quenching a probably sessionable, but the sulfer didn't excite me at all. Possibly a bad bottle so hopefully I will be able to review again in the future.

IntriqKen, May 09, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance: Sort of a clowdy orange/yellow, almost like those unfiltered Pilsners. Not much head really, if only a tiny lacing. Perhaps this bottle was a little old.

Smell: Somewhat grassy with a little hot, boozy thing going on too, which is fine for the style I guess but seing this is from Rogue I was expecting a little extra hops or some other distinctive trait, but it left me a bit underwhelmed.

Taste: Crisp and sharp body, the hops had a strange, almost metallic twang, and there seemed to be quite a lot of tannins in the finish, it almost tasted like grape juice. If only getting a fresh sample were easier for me I'm sure the age factor is why I wasn't too thrilled about this Beer.

Goldorak, Nov 28, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured in a Newbury Comics Pint Glass ...

A -Cloudy honey-golden color & a nice head in an off white color . Head did not stay long even with an "aggressive " pour

S- Hoppy , yeasty & lemony ..

T- Ok not bad . A little watery for my taste .
M- Crisp ....not much bite

D- An ok beer ..I enjoyed it while watching the Bruins getting there arse kicked - again - ..

Kudashov, Feb 02, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Beautiful looking beer here. Clear & golden with a nice cascading head as I pour. The 1/2 inch white head holds steady. The aroma is very inviting, with lots of citrus rind hop aromas and a sweet maltiness backing this up. Quite interesting taste here. This reminds me of "Budweiser meets Hops." There is a real heavy underlying macro lager type taste here, only with some hops thrown in for flavoring (not bitter) The two tastes clash more than anything - this is not a happy marriage. Also a distinct heavy diacetyl flavor in the aftertaste (which I honestly don't mind). Mouthfeel is nice & slick, but the all over the place taste of this one puts a big damper on the drinkablity

...perhaps Dominion has spoiled me....

avylover, Feb 08, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

22oz bomber into pint glass.

Slightly hazy pale golden color with an off white thick head that holds well.

Floral hops with a strong buttery aroma. The malts only make a faint background appearance.

Bread-like malts set a base for some light fruity hop flavor. A touch of apricot comes to mind. Medium bodied with good carbonation. There is a slightly acidic feel. The finish has lingering hop bitterness.

The taste let me down a little on this one. The hops just don't seem to sit right with me.

BeerSox, Mar 31, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

Heavy gravity pilsners rarely work out. This one, albeit strong and clean, still has some improving to do. Looks ideal a viscous straw - golden color with medium carbonation. Nice head retention. Smells sweet with pilner malts and corn sugars (eek.) Light barley sweetness and vegital (corn) sweetness is overbearing moving across the mouth. Light hopping aids little help against the sweetness. Mildly alcoholic and hot in the throat. The texture is a bit syrupy and could stand a bit more carbonation (never thought I'd say that.) The finish is just short of grainy, yet remains vegital. Found it hard to enjoy half of the bomber. Comparable to Dogfish Head's Malt de Liqor. For a pilsner with a kick, Rogues Morimoto Pilsner beats this one easily.

BEERchitect, Nov 14, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 650 ml. bottle.

Appearence--Nice deep amber color, good head.

Smell--Clean, slightly malty.

Taste--This surprised me a little bit. It looked and smelled pretty good, but had surprsing chemical-like taste. It reminded me of the shock of getting a diet Coke when you were expecting a regular Coke. I wasn't impressed.

Drinkability--I couldn't get past the taste.

arnulfooxblood, Sep 03, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Rogue Überfest Pilsner is a cloudy, blonde lager with a fluffy white head that leaves great lacing. It has a grassy, lemony aroma with notes of bread and malt. It has a medium-light body. It's smooth with a crisp finish. It is simple, amply bitter, has good balance and tastes a bit lemony. It's a little plain, but the Sterling hops are unique. Not bad.
(rated Jun 12, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 20, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orange golden color with a small short-lived head of whitish bubbles. There are some bubbles rising, but they don't sustain the head. There is some lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer

Aroma: I get some sweet malt in the aroma of this beer and it comes across as more toasty sweet than anything, but there is a honey-like sweetness here that is a pretty big player. I get some oxidation here that gives the beer a fruity aroma with some apples and citrus in particular.

Taste: The flavor is really clean and malty, but has an odd citrusy hop presence that I am surely not used to with a Pilsner beer. It also has a considerable amount more body than even a Helles beer. The finish has some hops to go with the malt, but the malt has a slight edge to linger for a while. There is no alcohol noticeable except that I am feeling a little warm after coming up on the bottom of this bomber.

Opinion: This beer is OK, but it is rather typical for an American Microbrew interpretation of a Pilsner. This is more like a mild American Pale Ale made with Lager yeast. It's OK, and I would drink it again if I came across it at a beer meeting, but I seriously doubt that I will buy another bottle of this stuff.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 21, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 25 oz crystal sniffer glass. Golden orange in color with a thin head dotted with unevenly sized bubbles.

Smell: Crisp malty scent with a bit of spicines to back it up.

Taste: Sweet and malty with hints of citrus. It's crisp but the flavors dies off just as quickly as it arrived. It becomes watery and leaves a bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Clean, smooth, and dry at the end.

Drinkability: Good an refreshing but really not too interesting. I could drink it again, but really it's nothing epic.

BrewMaster, Jul 05, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up in Minneapolis. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with good head retention and very little lacing.

The smell is light but good malt with a pilsner smell to it. Some lighter hop are noticed. There also is spice kick from the yeast.

The taste is also light and bit sweeter that makes it feel more American then German. The malt has a sudsy aftertaste and not really smooth. The hops are limited as the there is a zesty flavor that is more noticeable. Not really spicey but more of a lemon twist that blends oddly with the suds flavor. Also there was a grassy flavor as well.

The body is light and there is a buttery texture. The beer is easy to drink but not exactly smooth. Better then average but could be better.

Oxymoron, Dec 12, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

KevMo84, Jun 08, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

chugamugofsud, Feb 21, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle was a 2006 GABF left-over that was given to me as a reward for my volunteer efforts. Thanks a million to GABF and to Rogue Brewing for the opportunity.

Pours a half-finger off-white clingy head over a cloudy sunshine apricot liquid. Smells oranges, woody, and a zing of hops. Saaz.

Tastes sweet and lemon hoppy. Some grass coho. Bit of tang from hops is sour when combined with the strong carbonation. carbonation level is good. Malt is present, but clearly under the hops. Malty is dry to start with a slightly fruity and wet aftertaste. peppery finish from the carb and hops.

Another wickedly overhopped beer produced by Rogue. Is this because they need to hide faults with their beer? I'm not impressed with this brewery.

mentor, Jan 15, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma of machinery well oiled. Taste is thin not watery, smooth drinking pils. Not a lot of flavour, but some subtle plum, bitterness present at low IBU and it is balanced with malt. Satisfying in a subtle way.Serviceable. Understated carbonation. A bomber is a lot, good I shared.

Sammy, Mar 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a yellow/amber color, with a tiny head. Nose is a bit floral, and sweet with some hoppy notes. Taste is buttery hops... pretty interesting, with a long mildly hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average. It's a pretty drinkable brew, maybe a bit over-carbonated.

shivtim, Oct 03, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

pale in color with a nice malty aroma, this was the highlight og the beer for me. the taste is smooth and definitly a better alternative to bud, but to be honest i found the two to taste very similar and quite frankly that made me slightly ill. probably my least favorite rogue beer.

scarletfire79, Apr 11, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -13%

The second beer I tried at "In Good Taste"; Sidney, OH was Rogue "Uberfest" German pilsener.... never even heard of that one before!

It was served up from a Bomber and proper glassware (of course). I poured it into the pilsener glass and immediately formed a 2" head of loose white foam... oops!.... careful....careful.... The liquid was a clear yellow with fairly active efforvescence. As the head dissipated and as I drank, pronounced lacing trailed down the glass. One cool thing about this beer: When I poured the last of the bomber... some spent yeast sediment from the bottom of the bottle was seen floating up and down in the glass propelled by the carbonation bubbles.... that was cool!

The nose was subdued. A bit difficult to describe.... light malty is the best I can come up with.

Taste: Very typical of a light lager. A light malty taste prevails with a very very distant hop bite in the background upon finish and swallow.... Tastes a bit "macro" to me.... (sorry Rogue...).... but certainly more substance when compared to BMC... This is a lot like most other German light lagers I've had before.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light bodied with carbonation on the low side.... (which is surprising given the efforvescent appearance of the beer). I guess that I would actually like a touch more carbonation in this case. IMO, that would make this beer more refreshing.

Drinkability: I don't believe that I will have this one again.... but it's only because a Pilsner isn't my favorite kind of beer... Nothing against Rogue... this is right on for style. If you like a light bodied lager, give this a try.

TheBierBand, Aug 10, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a foamy one finger head. Short retention and light lace.

Smell: Very crisp and fresh smelling. Light citrusy scent. Nice malty aroma. Smells somewhat earthy and grainy. Floral hop presence is slightly noticeable.

Taste: Initially it has a sweet taste. Citrus taste is on the light side (maybe even a little banana mixed in). It is a bit grainy. Hops are extremely light. It does have a crisp bite on the way down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied, crisp, and would be nice on a hot day. Very drinkable. I'd call it a nice session beer if I liked it a little more. Overall, it's okay. Worth a try, but I've had much better from Rogue.

prototypic, Apr 30, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into the new Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass from a 22 oz brown bomber. Appearance is clear and deep golden. Head is white but dissappears very quickly leaving no lacing.

Smells strongly of grape skin, pear, and apple with faint alcohol.

Taste is very sweet upfront with hints of caramel and graininess. This fades to a strong floral and grassy taste that lingers.

Relatively light-bodied with moderate carbonation that finishes semi-dry with a slight alcohol burn.

A pretty decent pils, worth a try.

adowney523, Jul 25, 2007