FestiveAle - Rogue Ales

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 09-27-2005)
Reviews by PorterLambic:
PorterLambic

4.22/5  rDev +27.5%

Pours a nice, slightly hazy honey-orange with a big (2") creamy, off-white head that drops slowly & evenly. No lace left behind.
Smell is grape juice, orange, spice and malt, overall quite a sweet smell.
Taste is grape juice (purple, not white or red), spice, alcohol, malt, hops and a hint of yeast. Almost like a grape juice infused beer. Good but unexpected.
A rich, medium-full body with light effervescence makes this an easily quaffable brew. Good stuff, John.

10-27-2005 17:50:26 | More by PorterLambic
oberon

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a hazy peach color with a big dose of sediment headed to the bottem,a large fluffy head atop.Aromas are quite herbal,minty with some medicinal quality and a touch yeast/spice.There is more of a citrus element flavor wise but its kinda weak,finishing with some spicey pepper.Seemed watery and pretty lacluster going down,not a bad beer but nothing has inspired me to get more.

12-28-2005 14:25:11 | More by oberon
RoyalT

3.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance – This one is a really cool-looking darkish orange that is a perfect shade of radiant orange. The head came up nicely but of course dropped fast.

Smell – There’s a nice, super-spicy lightly sourish nose here backed by some hefty malts, which really give it a balanced aroma. The spice is peppery and kind of dark, and the malts are a bit orangy but very heavy, like whole wheat pasta grains.

Taste – The big malts from the nose step back a bit at the taste. The spices are in full effect though as is that orange flavor, that is mixed with some very light banana and peach.

Mouthfeel – This is big, I’d call it medium-bodied, with some modest but solid carbonation and an excellent play of flavors on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability – This is one of the more drinkable American Saisons that I’ve had. It’s definitely big for the style, but what else do you expect from Rogue?

01-25-2006 01:48:27 | More by RoyalT
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

About four fingers of nice caramel-tinged white head gradually descend intp this cloudy, deep-maple colored brew. There is very minimal lacing.

Nose is a rich and fruity with berry notes, slight brown sugar scent, and nice spice bouquet.

Yeastyness is definately at the forefront, and almost overpowering. I catch some cherry tones, and strawberry with spices chasing after the finish maybe clove?

I am not familiar with this style, but after tasting this one, I'll certainly be trying others.

01-01-2006 00:46:44 | More by JudgeRoughneck
orbitalr0x

2.98/5  rDev -10%

The Rogue FestiveAle pours from the 22oz bomber a deep golden orange hue with a big fluffy three fingers worth of foam on top. Tons of active carbonation rises up in the glass. So far, so good. Aromas of pale spicy grains along with a mellow citric orange aroma. Earthy yeast tones are present. Really not too much going on in the aroma department, kind of dissapointing.

First sip brings a spicy, fruity pale maltiness upfront. A bit husky wheat tones with plenty of yeasty tones. Orange tones weave in and out with a mellow spicy hoppiness on the way down. This brew just really fails to grab me. For a saison, this one ended up boring me.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit chalky with a big bubbly factor. Goes down easily and polishing off the bomber is no problem. A drinkable brew, but it lacks the flavor profile I'm looking for when I want a saison. I won't be seeking this one out again.

04-15-2006 01:08:56 | More by orbitalr0x
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.98/5  rDev -10%

A cloudy red-orange color, with a good head to it that dissipates quickly. Predominately fruity, yeasty smell to it. It's taste is tart, with a yeast flavor also. Very bubbly in the mouth. Overall, a fair beer, not geat, not terrible. I've enjoyed othe brews by Rogue, and was looking for something a little more exciting than I got.

12-18-2005 16:41:03 | More by lordofthewiens
renegadeburger

2.85/5  rDev -13.9%

last bottle of my first beer trade, and also the last review of my initial saison kick and obsession that happened

i don't know when this thing was bottled i tried to look for a date could not find it, anyways poured it into my glass the head was not as big and pillowy as the other saisons i had still it had some staying power

aroma was weird i did not get much at all i got a little spice in the background but that's about it

taste was a let down for me it did not taste like that good american saison flavor i had with the hennepin it was a weird combination of flavors that did not go well very spicey but not in a pleasant way

mouthfeel was OK but not refreshing like the others

overall an average beer, this was the first rogue beer that i did not fall in love with, very strange considering i have absolutely loved everything they have done so far

all in all i think this is the only rogue beer i didnt' like they are still my original favorite craft brewery they make awesome beer but this one is not the right one for me, i just didnt like it

07-02-2011 12:46:25 | More by renegadeburger
Jason

2.7/5  rDev -18.4%

On tap at Redbones in a 12 oz flute.

Deep golden amber hue, cloudy with a thin white lacing on top. Smells a bit tart with some spice, tastes is similar with an odd tartness upfront. Moderate body, mildly crisp. Just can get over the tartness ... stale lemon comes to mind. Spicing is lost within this tartness as well.

Not sure what to think of this brew but I know it falls short of the Saison style.

11-17-2005 01:18:42 | More by Jason
merlin48

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

22 oz bottle served slightly chilled into a tulip glass. Pours a medium orange body with a towering five finger beige head that eventually settles to a cap. Final pour was an unappealing, opaque, brown mustard color, with no head or lacing, even when swirled.

Aroma was inviting, with an orangepeel opening that led into dried cut flowers, freshly sliced ginger root, citrusy lemon, coriander, and some farmyard yeastiness.

Mouthfeel has tingly carbonation, not quite effervescent. Light medium body with a spicy fresh ginger bite.

Taste has fresh pastoral graininess, spices, and hops, with prominent orangepeel. Fresh ginger adds some heat. Softly spiced coriander and white pepper add a nice complexity. Finishes dry, with a spicy and yeasty aftertaste.

This is one of the better American brewed Saisons, but not in the league with Ommegang's Hennepin. This has some excellent farmhouse character that makes it worth another look, but lacks the overall character and body of an excellent Saison. I wouldn't mind trying it again, but I'll swirl the bottle before the first pour next time.

11-29-2005 12:03:20 | More by merlin48
Billolick

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

Allways a treat to try a new saison or a new Rogue selection. This one was on tap at the BTAH in NYC. Poured dark almond and cloudy, with a tiny bubble, yet minimal head, and leaving just minor scattered lacing. Nose is pepper and corainder. Fruity, complex and tasty concoction. Notes of smoke, pepper, honey and caramel. Simply yummy, yeasty and good. Rogue movers and shakers please bottle this asap...

10-25-2005 21:24:47 | More by Billolick
jakester

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It came in a snifter.

This stuff looks exactly like apple cider; a murky rotten peach with light brown tints. When it arrived, it had only splotches of off-white bubbles on top, which disappeared to absolutely no head or anything on top of the beer.

Aroma is slightly farmy, fruity, phenolicy. with a strong alcohol smell. Also aromas of caramel, grapes, and apples. Smell doesn't do much for me.

Flavor is sweet at first, a little farmy, gets a little sour later, with notes of old grapes, old apples, and sweet caramel. The flavor dries out in mid-sip, with the aftertaste being winey and really dry. Alcohol is not as noticeable in the taste as it is in the smell, but it is still there.

Mouthfeel is pretty sweet at first, with medium carbonation. It very quickly dries out, eventually becoming almost bone dry. The finish is warm from alcohol.

This was OK as a different style saison, but it's not one I would have again. Maybe I'm spoiled by Southampton's saisons, I don't know. This would very quickly get tiresome.

10-24-2005 22:23:02 | More by jakester
magictrokini

2.7/5  rDev -18.4%

Looks like a hefe with the pour, murky yellow with a massive white head Aroma is...unusual. Fruity and wheaty, with some soap and something sour. The taste is okay. Its mostly malts with ginger and orange flavors, but nothing really stands out. The mouthfeel is sticky and the finish is thin. I wanted this to be better.

12-16-2008 16:24:16 | More by magictrokini
kingjames1

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A saison? Well, it is certainly a rogue saison! I frankly much prefer Ommegang's Hennepin (which is cheaper!). This pours a nice golden-dark amber, with a wonderfully dense, white belgianesque head. I do smell the belgian yeasts that dominate the nose for a typical saison. I also detect some of the bitter, herbal spices that are boasted on the bottle. Taste: well, sort of underwhelming. It is nice (and no more). Unlike anything I've had. I understand why this beer was previously categorized as a spiced/herbed ale. I taste some grassy herbs, celery (vegetable beer), and other herbal flavors from the spice rack. Interesting, but not too remarkable. Great carbonation though, and relatively drinkable. Worth a try.

01-09-2006 02:00:33 | More by kingjames1
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.7/5  rDev +11.8%

Also at Smokin' Joe's one of two JLS series the bartender wasn't sure what this was but said it's a Belgian style I'm saying it's the Saison from the JLS series. Appears a golden semi cloudy hue with a large white quickly dwindling head leaves fine lacing around the glass. Aroma has a slight spice character with a touch of honey orange blossom esque tones flowery might as well lay down in a field during spring time somewhere but much less dramatic and much more tame considering I really had to focus to detect those tones. Taste of course a florally hopped belgian style some more spice notes coming through herbal, citrus, and what turns out to be ginger and myrtle my two distant cousins these tones blend in with a biscuit orange blossom honey taste that works in the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body spices coat the palate yet it's hard to pick each one out individually the carbonation isn't as fine as the typical Belgian saison. Drinkability refreshing and interesting but I'll pass on this one and order another Frosty Frog.

06-09-2006 07:24:02 | More by WVbeergeek
OStrungT

This beer pours a golden yellow color with a thick white head. The head fades slightly quick leaving decent laces.

I smell a strong yeasty aroma. It has an earthy smell. I can also detect a spicy, pepper aroma. There is an ever so slight citrus aroma present, but hidden.

This flavors of this beer are all mild, and are slightly hard to pick apart. I taste a slight citrus, orange peel flavor. Also, a peppery taste is very slightly detectable. It has a good yeasty taste. It also has a nice subtle hoppy flavor.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth leaving a slight orange aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is not high in alcohol, and the non aggressive flavor is not overbearing. This is a good beer. I will have to get a few more before they sell out.

12-31-2005 21:45:00 | More by OStrungT
rhoadsrage

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

(Served in an imperial strange)

A- This beer has a warm dark orange body with a bit of hazy. There is a big carbonation that makes a large creamy thick off-white head that last and last.

S- There are some slight bready yeasty notes with a hint of lime and noble hops.

T- This beer has a smooth soft flavor of honey malt with notes of citrus, mostly orange. The finish has a nice ginger warmth with some earthy peppery spice.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a silky texture and a fullness from the fizz. No alcohol warmth or astringency.

D- This beer is smooth but with a sweet complexity that is balanced with a faint peppery finish and some ginger warmth. This is a nice twist on this style.

01-29-2006 05:04:15 | More by rhoadsrage
sloejams

2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

Anytime I see a new offering (or new to me) from the ever-reliable Rouge, I always put one in the shopping cart. A saison? Are you fucking kidding me? Definitely need this, even despite the crusty fella adorning the bottle.

I poured this 22 oz. into 2 different tulips glasses: one for me and one for the missus. The filled glasses couldn’t be any more different looking. Hers, the 1st pour – nice, hazy bright orange and mine, an opaque murky soupy brown with sediment a plenty. She laughed at mine. I told her it’s only because I’m so goddamn nice that she got the good one. She said she’d share if mine tasted like shit. It didn’t.

The aroma was light and fruity – orange, tangerine, spices including clove and coriander. The taste was very yeasty from both glasses. It was very light tasting, missing the tartness that I’ve come to expect from saisons. The were wintery spices too that were out of place: the clove and some nutmeg and cinnamon. Some sips were better than others - I enjoyed the citrus notes.

It had medium to light body, except for all of the sediment which made much of my glass difficult to drink even after 30 minutes or so. I won't be picking this one up again anytime soon.

A disappointment from Rouge.

02-08-2006 21:22:44 | More by sloejams
watermelonman

2.55/5  rDev -23%

This poured to a great orange and copper color, although the head was a little small and left no lace.

The smell raises some concerns, most notably a large amount of ginger. The taste brings more ginger, with some other spices taking the place of interesting malt and yeast characteristics. The mouthfeel is reasonable, but the drinkability isn't very good.

With this style, I want a magnificent blast of flavors, but all I got here was a bunch of ginger.

12-27-2005 22:46:15 | More by watermelonman
IntriqKen

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a dark tangerine cloudy glass with a very agressive white head that disappears quicklyto very smal lacing.
Aroma is predominately orange with some sort of earthy yeast smell.
Taste is dry slightly sour...oranges, tangerines, finishing to a sour bitterness.
Aftertaste is dry and sour with slight orange.

I enjoyed this beer...I didn't really notice the spices, but the dry sourness of a saison definately came through for me.
I will buy it again.

06-17-2006 02:42:30 | More by IntriqKen
SMark

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

1 PT 6 FL OZ poured at 47 degrees with a thick luscious head and a cloudy pale amber color with very little lacing as head subsided. Very noticeable aromatics as beer was poured.

Slight bread and yeast with underlying spices.

Somewhat acidic with no detectable herbs, spices or flavors from the aromas.

Nothing really off here but neither impressed nor could I say it was good.

Carbonation seemed to mess up what I was expecting in the taste. More like one of my home made efforts which are usually average and sometimes I get it right.

03-04-2007 22:01:34 | More by SMark
jmz62565

Connecticut

3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

This pours a dark hazy orange color with a huge head.The smell is very floral and earthy with some spice scent.The is different from any saison I've ever had.This is almost more like a spiced ale.You can taste the malt and citrus flavors,but it also has a strong ginger and bitter flavor.The flavors don't mix that well in a medium m/f.This is an OK beer,but I won't go out of my way to get it again.

12-08-2005 04:00:23 | More by jmz62565
asabreed

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Bomber into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: The hazy golden yellow is nice, with lots of bubbles making a case for themselves floating up. Huge one finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. And some lacing upon the glass still hanging around as I drink, but not as well as I'd like upon subsequent pours.

Smell: Some Belgian yeast, earthiness, harsh citrus, some spiciness, and astingency. There's a lot of evidence that this would be a real Belgian with the mustiness and basement-like yeast aromas. Still, they come out a bit too much and mask too much of the complexity that I feel wants to come out but is unable to do so.

Taste: Initial lemon and a bit of fruity cherry before the yeast and malt and spiciness take over a bit. The finish is total cherry somehow, but the lingering is not as long as I'd like. Still, though I'm not a Saison expert, this is pretty enjoyable, and not as toward harsh as the aroma can be. Plus the finish does a bit of a dry-then-sweet turnaround, and to me that shows some dynamics in how it's constructed.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, as the appearance indicated. Some astringency takes a lot of what could be the creaminess away, unfortunately. However, that subsides at the swallow, and becomes something of what I deem as a vehicle to enhance the finish on the palate. The spiciness and carbonation and spritziness only stand to enchance what can happen on the palate.

Drinkability: A Saison is not something you want to drink all the time, at least for me, for the possibility of its complexity. But I was surprised at how tasty this was. I still haven't had a Saison out of the domestic range, but this is pretty good, and from the many Belgians I've had of different styles, I think they've achieved a decent brew here.

01-19-2006 03:52:38 | More by asabreed
Magpie14

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: cloudy gold color with copper tint and massive rocky foam head. Bubbles are very active and bustling about along with a few coatings of chunky sticky lacing

Smell: spice and malty caramel sweetness nothing much more. I was expecting more from a Saison style.

Taste: unique sour or pucker taste at first sip. Then I tasted sweet candied malts and few, very few hops. Has lemon and orange twist, but very sutle. After a few more sips the spice flavors are kind of nice and not to overpowering. But kind of a strange brew overall. I can not put my finger on the taste? It is just leaving me hanging. Mild carbonation and medium body make this somewhat enjoyable and give it a few positives.

Lacks in comparison to Belgian styles that I have had in the past.

06-27-2007 18:04:45 | More by Magpie14
cokes

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -23%

Gloomy soiled brass with a manic and quickly reducing eggshell capping.
Wet flour odor amid piles of dirty laundry. Spice as well with a rubber-tinged orange peel and pepper.
Coarse as hell up front. Flailing lemony grains of paradise and just raw, exposed grain, and unchecked black pepper, and scraping carbonation, and even bursts of gin-fueled alcohol heat. It came thisclose to being drain-bound. But with time and added temperature, the flour and mango yeasty esters congealed with the orange rind bitterness and gentler chicory root and sassafras astringency. Albeit, this isn't very Saison-like, and still it is thoroughly FUBAR. It concludes with lingering tropical fruit juice on doughy shortbread with a lime leaf and black pepper bite. More solvent booze traits on the finish, especially as it warms all the way up.
Medium bodied, and the combative CO2 settles out to a merely grating rapid-fire.
In spite of its small turn-around, it's still pretty rough. More than rough, actually. It's just slightly better than horrible.

12-15-2005 07:15:52 | More by cokes
NeroFiddled

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Hazy deep amber with golden highlights. Thin white head fades quickly to a thin collar. Minor lacing. Medium body. Somewhat restrained carbonation. Yeasty, wheaty, and malty in the nose. Some minor fruitiness. Quite basic. Lacking Belgian character. The flavor is fuller but with the same yeast, wheat malt with a drop of candy sweetness, some mild yeasty fruitiness, leafy hops, and a nice touch of spice.

04-29-2006 23:39:40 | More by NeroFiddled