FestiveAle - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Shaw on 09-26-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of FestiveAle Alström Bros
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Interesting beer. Not mazing, but, it has definately piqued my interest during consumption. Got this in a grolwer form drafting room- spring house.

Pours a hazy, murky golden/amberish. some white head that fades, little to no lacing. very fruit nose. not malty or hoppy, just friggin fruity.

Surprise surprise, the tase is reall freaking fruity. Not in a bad way, not in a good way, just fruity. I would say grapefruit mixed with cherries, with the grapefruit dominating. The finish is dry, and very crip with a slight hop aftertaste.

Meh, it is a good beer, but I dunno, I can see why rouge doesn't have this in the mass production line up..cheers

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated bomber that is silkscreened with the trademark "Rogue Dude". No dates, poured into a tulip.

The loud ass PSSSTT sound when the cap was popped told me to pour this one easy. Hazy amber with a tall white head that has solid retention. The bubbles in the head are beady and give an almost symmetrical honeycombed appearance. Good lace. Beautiful beer!

Nice combination of spices, tart citrus and funky yeast in the nose. Definite Saaz aromas. The ginger and orange are distinct and work very well together.

The taste fails to impress me. Sweet malts upfront then the orange comes through followed by pilsener hops. Dry finish. This beer is just a bit more than one dimensional when tasted. No yeast flavors, the spices seem lost, and the carbonation seems to cut through everything to the point of numbing the palate.

In light of its few merits and many shortcomings, I'm not interested in buying another.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

It poured a murky ruby-brown, the cloudiness hardly speckled by carbonation. A finger of large-bubbled tan head popped away quickly. A few feathers of lacing remained behind as the glass drained.

The aroma carried a mildly spicy nose of pepper and coriander, along with a tart fruitiness seemingly centered on cherries, but with a hint of grape as well. A hoppy aura flirted at the outside along with an ephemeral measure of funk.

Upon sipping, an initial wave of fruit sweetness bore a current of cherries, along with a vinous presence that boosted the inherent tartness. An eddy of grapefruit, orange, and some more vague earthy elements clippered about the middle. The finish was rather quick, with a light hoppy dryness dropping away promptly. An unusual take on the style.

A bit sht of medium bodied, it has a relatively crisp feel considering the business going on elsewhere.

Well, as I'm no expert, I'll take their word it's a saison. Still, it's not at all what I expected. In fact, it seems to me to fill a category all its own, but I'm not sure what that would be. It's got a bit going on, and it's not always especially well-meshed, but neither did it put me off at any point. It was good enough to enjoy the one I had, and I'd not refuse another, but I won't go seeking it out for another go round, if only because if I'm hankering for a Saison, there are some more rewarding routes I can choose to travel.

Had this on-tap at the Grey Lodge in Philly.

Cloudy and brownish. Murky, but in a very good way. A yeasty-type look.

Cherries and pineapple in the taste. Not dry like your Duponts. Not like the Hennepins of the world. But fruity is a nice change of pace.

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours a nice, slightly hazy honey-orange with a big (2") creamy, off-white head that drops slowly & evenly. No lace left behind.
Smell is grape juice, orange, spice and malt, overall quite a sweet smell.
Taste is grape juice (purple, not white or red), spice, alcohol, malt, hops and a hint of yeast. Almost like a grape juice infused beer. Good but unexpected.
A rich, medium-full body with light effervescence makes this an easily quaffable brew. Good stuff, John.

4.17/5  rDev +25.6%

Allways a treat to try a new saison or a new Rogue selection. This one was on tap at the BTAH in NYC. Poured dark almond and cloudy, with a tiny bubble, yet minimal head, and leaving just minor scattered lacing. Nose is pepper and corainder. Fruity, complex and tasty concoction. Notes of smoke, pepper, honey and caramel. Simply yummy, yeasty and good. Rogue movers and shakers please bottle this asap...

3.1/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It came in a snifter.

This stuff looks exactly like apple cider; a murky rotten peach with light brown tints. When it arrived, it had only splotches of off-white bubbles on top, which disappeared to absolutely no head or anything on top of the beer.

Aroma is slightly farmy, fruity, phenolicy. with a strong alcohol smell. Also aromas of caramel, grapes, and apples. Smell doesn't do much for me.

Flavor is sweet at first, a little farmy, gets a little sour later, with notes of old grapes, old apples, and sweet caramel. The flavor dries out in mid-sip, with the aftertaste being winey and really dry. Alcohol is not as noticeable in the taste as it is in the smell, but it is still there.

Mouthfeel is pretty sweet at first, with medium carbonation. It very quickly dries out, eventually becoming almost bone dry. The finish is warm from alcohol.

This was OK as a different style saison, but it's not one I would have again. Maybe I'm spoiled by Southampton's saisons, I don't know. This would very quickly get tiresome.

3.64/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never in a million years would I guess that this is a Rogue beer. Pours a murky, turbid brown with a whispy white head and very large bubbles. Not particularly appetizing, though in all fairness, I think I got the first pint from the keg. Nose is faintly sweet, with notes of light fruit (white grapes?). Palate is nice and complex, with a backbone of sweet malt complemented by tangy, bubblegum Belgian yeast and notes of plum, brown sugar, and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Body is nice and sturdy, a good fit for the style. Worth a try, but not as fantastic as some of the other beers in the JLS line.

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

On a recent trip to Knoxville's Brewer's Jam, this is the jewel of the weekend. Being a big fan of Saisons, I couldn't wait to jump into this one. Pours a hazy orange-appricot color with a stubborn white head. Serious fruity and tart aromas filled the rim of the glass. Smells like over-ripe oranges, mangos, appricots, pears, and peaches with the tartness of a granny smith apple. One sip drives the sides of the toung nuts. Seriously flavored with the fruits in the nose, with mild nutmeg spices, light hops and more light sourness. The flavors constantly change in the mouth. The body is medium (strange for such flavor complexity). Alcohols are pronounce throughout and may take on low plastic or medicinal flavors, but not to deter. Aftertaste is fruity and tart. I highly recomend.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Hazy brew, could be kicked up yeast; there seems to be a pretty heavy sediment in the bottle. Pours with a big, foamy off-white head that falls to a lasting 1/4 inch. Tart, zippy nose with a hint of ginger and grains of paradise. Spicy in the mouth with lost of orange peel and grains of paradise. Sweet gale makes this almost come across as hot. Reminds me of a hoppy (relatively of course!) version of Heavyweight’s gruit.

This is an interesting brew. I’m glad they tried it, and I’m happy to see it as a winter beer even if it ends up being a one shot deal. IMHO this is missing the soul of a true Belgian saison saison. However, it goes to show that saisons need not be stuck as summer seasonals! I can see myself drinking this in the winter.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

I had two glasses of this beer at my local pub, The Cock & Bull. I think it's funny that I'm adding a Rogue beer that I had in Florida. I'm surprised no one in Oregon has reviewed this brew.

It is a orange in color without much head. It smells of spices and malt. No hop aroma, which is very off-character for Rogue!

The tastes is spicy and a little dry. It isn't bitter but it also isn't sweet. I've only had one or two other saisons, so I don't have that much of a background to compare it to. Since BA says the style has lots of leeway, I'll say this is a good-tasting beer. I liked it, after all, and that's what's important.

It is very drinkable and I look forward to having it again.

This is a good beer and a nice change from Rogue's usually hoppy brews.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last