FestiveAle - Rogue Ales

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of FestiveAle Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Served in a chalice, the beer pours an orange/gold color with a good size white head. It has a citrusy/apple smell to it, along with a bit of a yeasty farmhouse smell. The beer tastes like apples, oranges, and bananas, with a good bit of tartness and sourness in the finish. Unfortunately, the mouthfeel isn't good at all. It's way, way too carbonated, to the point where it feels like you're drinking lots of little bubbles instead of beer. Because of that, the drinkability isn't good either. I haven't tried many Saisons, but I'm not impressed with this one at all. Maybe in a couple years I'll try it again to see if another batch is better, maybe there will be less carbonation next time.

bluejacket74, Jan 20, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a orange/coppper hue with a nice two finger head. An attractive beer to look at. Quite cloudy which i generally tend to appreciate. Smell was musty, yeasty. good aroma overall.

Taste wise this was sour upon first hitting your tongue with some sweetness in the aftertaste. Not as funky as i like my Saisons, but tasty enough. The residual sweetness was perhaps a little too strong as well.

Mouthfeel was pleasant, good carbonation, slightly thin for the cloudiness..

I split a bomber and probably could have split two more. However I am trying to show the woman I can have one beer and not keep going and going...

Perhaps this beer isn't the best representation of the style but i do think it is better than the overall score indicates.

sleazo, Jan 04, 2007

Thanks to granite (Birthday BIF) for this double duece which I am enjoying with BA Danfield.

This saison starts out a slightly hazy peach/light orange with a large eggshell white head that's incredibly fluffy. I don't get tired of that site. The lacing is initially thick and spotty and later thins out a bit.

The smell is like apples/apple juice with a slight farmhouse smell. There really isn't enough barnyard funk to this one for me. Oddly enough, there is a sweet banana aroma floating about.

This one starts out with a very sweet almost overpowering apple flavor which turns strongly dry and slightly sour. As I said earlier, this one doesn't have the same funky taste I've come to expect and love from this style. Rogue claims to use a strain of "Fantome Saison yeast" but it tastes like they made more of a FantoRogue Pacson yeast. I think Rogue tried to spin this one toward their strain of yeast and it just didn't work out. I'm still getting a bit of banana in this one for some reason... Maybe they decided to splice in some Weihenstephaner weiss yeast as well. I'm not really sure but this one ended up being a little disappointing.

I enjoyed this one early on but it's come to really let me down. It's not bad by any standard I can imagine, just not what I was hoping to experience in one of my more favored styles.

timtheenchanta, Jan 03, 2007

I got this 22 ounze bottle at Tank's Taproom in Tampa, Fl. It poured a cloudy orange color. The head was huge, but disapated very very fast. The lacing left about a bit and was thin. The smell was a mild hoppy smell. The taste was a great blend between orange and hops. The mouthfeel was pretty smooth. A solid brew. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Dec 28, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Rogue Festive Ale
22 oz brown bottle
Served in an Allagash tulip glass

Pours a hazy golden orange with an excellent fluffy head. The head is super puffy and leaves random trails of lacings all over the tulip glass.

The nose is interesting and not quite in line with most other Saisons that I've smelled. Whiffs of a chalky yeast, exotic fruit and spicy hops in the background.

The flavor and taste is interesting as well. Yeasty and grainy come to mind with a juicy fruit flavor underneath. Hints of ripe berries & tart citrus with a sweet honey drizzle.

A true Saison style? Nope. Clearly not one of Rogue's better offerings, but still an enjoyable beer to try.

Hibernator, Dec 21, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Beer looks good coming out of the bottle, a nice dark golden color with some carbonation, makes a large white head that take a few to disspiate. Smell is dominated by a yeasty characteristic. Smells dry, not detecting much fruitiness, the smell is dominated by an earthy/yeasty-ness. Taste reinforces that earthiness, with moderate dryness throughout the taste, and a tartness that hits at the end. This brew isn't as complex as I would have liked, feels kind of flat (not in terms of carbonation or age, but in terms of flavors coming to the palate). The mouthfeel is pretty light, but I think it fits in well with the style. I don't know why this is a winter release for rogue, I can better imagine myself enjoying this brew on a hot summer evening than on a cold winter day. This is definitely worth a try, but it's my first experience with the style, so maybe I just didn't know what to expect. I like it, but it definitely isn't my first choice from Rogue.

belgaridub, Dec 15, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -33.5%

The first disappointment I've had from Rogue.

Not really sure what they were going for here...

Murky butterscotch appearance. Little head, which disappears quickly.

Smells of brown bread, overripe fruit, steamed vegetables.

Overripe fruit, root vegetables in the taste. Touch of bubblegum, maybe a hint of clove. Not a particularly pleasant combo.

Adequate carbonation, decent texture.

Just not to my taste. Won't drink it again.

MVassar, Dec 03, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Undated bomber pours a murky/cloudy/dirty light brown color, similar to pressure treated pine. One finger head, little retention and no lace. I hate to say it, but it's flat out ugly.

Aroma is better though. Spicy, slightly malty, and a hint of hops. Smells a little sweet for a saison, and could use more yeast character, but pretty good overall.

Flavor is odd. Slightly sweet from front to back, and the yeast just doesn't do it. The spice blend used is nice and quite enjoyable. Even though it isn't listed as an ingredient on the bottle, I swear that I taste a bit of peppermint. No hop presence, sweet finish, and no yeast character. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Drinkability is actually great.... the sweetness makes this a bit more drinkable than some other saisons.

A shocking disappointment from a great brewery. I think it's just laking so much from the yeast, that it wouldn't surprise me if this is brewed with the uber-clean Pacman yeast. Not bad by any means, just not what it could be. I expect more from a brewery as great as Rogue. This is their only Belgian style ale, and it shows. They should really stick to the more American styles which they make so damn well.

phisig137, Nov 07, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -44.7%

Rogue FestiveAle
22 oz bomber
Unknown bottling, celebrated 11/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured a hazy orange copper with a large rocky off-white fully lasting with good lacing.

Smelt of moderate oranges, bubble gum, cloves, and ginger.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet candied ginger and oranges followed a strong awkward bitter sweaty yeast taste on an average length bitter tasteless affront. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, dry, lively carbonated with light to moderate astringency, mostly on the finish, and faint alcoholic burn.

Overall, a very disappointing Rogue beer and saison beer, as the bitterness seems too strong and overwhelms the other flavors. Not a pleasant saison by any means. I'm so disappointed by Rogue right now, hopefully they will tweak their recipe. They are so ashame of this beer they don't even have it listed on their website...

xav33, Nov 05, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +18.7%

I have to preface this, I was expecting a winter/Christmas beer, and was slightly disappointed when I realized it was a Saison. Not that I have a problem with Saisons, I just wasn't expecting it.

A - Cloudy light amber, big white head that dissolves to a nice layer and laces the glass.

S - Fruity aromas, some sourness, yeast/bread aromas. Subtle hopping.

T - Slightly tart/sour, citrusey, also sweet. Again, the hops are subtle but present.

M - Medium body, appropriate level of carbonation, not quite as clean as I would have liked it.

D - There are better saisons out there, but this is still a pretty good one. Not what I was expecting, but certainly glad I tried it.

BlackAngus, Oct 30, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -26.9%

My first, and probably only disappointment from Rogue. This beer was just a mess. It poured a hazy gold, but went downhill from the smell: sour and funky without any balance. I could find nice malt and hops in the flavor, but it was just too off-putting. I dont know what happened here, I guess no brewery can make you happy all the time.

tempest, Oct 24, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Not really thrilled about this one. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, lots of carbonation, huge foamy white head, tons of lacing follows. Scents of malts, hops, citrus, and slight yeast. The taste is kinda sweet or malts/hop blend. Medium body, very carbonated brew. Drinkable, not a bad brew, but will have to think about buying again.

Wasatch, Oct 22, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - The head pours very large and mostly soapy with some of it creamy here and there. The head is off-white and about five fingers high at pour. It dissipates irregularly, leaving a rocky and soapy dissipating head, eventually settling at a thin film of lace just atop the beer. Moderate lacing is left as you drink this beer. The color of the brew is a very cloudy honey-amber.

Smell - Some champagne-like grape aromas right away, with a musty fruitiness...mainly lighter-colored fruits: pear, apple, peach etc. Has a slightly unpleasant sourness in the aroma that seems distinctly out-of-place. Mild peppery/nutmeg-like spiciness with a very slight warming alcohol. Some mild malt aromas in the background with a mostly light/floral hop aroma.

Taste - Has a somewhat wild or lambic ale-like character. Some musty and bitter champagne grape character shows right away, with a slight sourness just behind this. Some light floral hops with a very pleasant fruity pairing of pear, peach, apple, kiwi, and mango. Lots of different fruit flavors in this beer...I mean A LOT. Strong warming alcohol in the middle. Raw and mild malt character comes through in the finish with alcohol burn and some peppery spiciness.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied with mainly harsh carbonation. It has a lot of bite right away and lasts through most of the taste. Moderate smoothness and some oily fruity characters. The carbonation turns the beer into foam in your mouth quickly.

Drinkability - Strong flavors, but nothing extreme. The beer has some interesting flavors and it is definitely complex in the fruits department. Strong but refreshing carbonation. I could drink a few of these without a problem.

A good beer. Much different from some of the other saisons I've had, but I can't expect a carbon-copy beer from a brewer like Rogue! It has a wonderfully diverse fruity character, with a very pleasant floral hop character. Recommended.

dblinkhorn, Oct 21, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

22 oz

A: Pours with a tremendous head, that sticks together nicely. Lots of bubbles and a cloudy beer that is gold on the edges and deep gold in the center. Virtually no lacing but good head retention.

S: Very tart lactobacteria smells straight away. A little bit of spicyness but was expecting more. A little bit fruity. But sourness is prominent.

T: I like this. Its very tart straight away, then you get fruity rindy taste followed by a bit of alcohol. The taste is not very complex, with mostly tart yeasts coming through. But I really like it and can see this as being a superbly refreshing beer during the heat of a summer.

M: Good body, full and nice carbonation for the style.

D: very drinkable, I am putting it down pretty easily. Keep on taking that next sip. Would have another bottle is I had another...

KyleVick4, Oct 07, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

For the price this beer is very good (I picked it up for $2 at Holiday wine cellar).
A-Poured with a huge 3" head in a pint glass. Cloudy orange golden color. A nice lacing the covers all top and bits stick to side of glass but not to much.
S- floral hops, light spices, light breads, light malts, earthy tones, sweeter, maybe hints of oranges and lemons.
T- Lighter fruits, mild bitterness. Is on the sweeter side with some spices in there. It has a floral taste to it along with some bananas and yeast. Pretty complex beer. Some light bitterness in aftertaste along with some spices and maybe a bit of floral and fruit flavors.
M- Medium body, medium carbonation and a bit sticky.
D- It is good. I think I preferred the Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit I had last night (only 2 I have had from the style so far).

BlindPig, Oct 01, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

A semi hazy amber mixed with mediocre greets the eye with an intial plume of head and mild lacing after the first pour from my 22oz. bottle. The aroma was blander than I expected from any saison. Some herbas an spices noticed in the numerous whiffs. But nothing too specific. Although some earthy sweetness is noticed. The tase is like a good first try at a true Belgian Saison. The earthy herbal flavor is indeed captured in this brew by this domestically gfamous brew. But they don't pull it off as might be expected. This doesn't mean that Rogue is losing any Brownie points from me. Not a bad beer.

scruffwhor, Sep 26, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8/25/2006 $6.00 22 oz. 6.20% No best by date, but this is a winter release in August, and I got it off the close-out shelf, so I'm skeptical.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy light brown orange with an inch of large foam that settles within a moment or so.

Aroma:

Characteristicly funky barnyard saison aroma with hints of some mild ripe fruit.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Tart, course mouthfeel. Very funky earth flavor coupled with weird rib-eye and brown sugar flavor. This is some odd stuff, that I'm pretty sure I don't like.

Closeout and still $6, and mildly disgusting to boot? Not a fan.

cbl2, Aug 26, 2006

Poured a nice orange color with a very heavy thick head that stayed that entire drink and left some good lacing on mug. Smell is of fruits some apples with a bit of spice and cantolope in there as well. This has a very sweet taste to it with a bit of hoppy tart added in there as well. Beer went down very smooth and I did enjoy this from Rogue, but its not one of their best that they put out, still all in all very good offering.

gunnerman, Aug 25, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

From the pint-plus bottle, pours a dark orange translucent color with many small bubbles. Large, pillowy white-tan head that fades at a moderate pace leaving good lacing and a ½ finger solid cap. Good looking beer. Nose: not much going on here, maybe some alcohol and yeast. Beer was not that cold, so that wasn’t a factor. Taste… hmm. This was my first Saison so I didn’t know what I was looking for, but this was… muddled. No distinct flavor style at all. There’s some alcohol up front, again yeast, bittering to hops. The alcohol dominates the flavor. Hopsy bitterness is decent, but it doesn’t add much to the overall lackluster flavor. Don’t get me wrong; it’s not bad… it’s just a helluva lot less than I expected. Mouth feels semi-creamy toward the watery side, and is pretty bubbly. OK as far as that goes, nothing to write home about. Drinkability is just OK… it’s pretty smooth, but I wouldn’t want to drink more than one.

Overall: A pretty good ale, nothing to brag about, superior by far to any macro out there, but disappointing considering the quality of Rogue’s other offerings. I can’t speak to adherence to style, but to me, it just seemed like a generic, hopsy strong ale. Worth a try, but I wouldn’t run out to look for it.

jettjon, Aug 15, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a gorgeous nectar/honey with a huge foam/froth head. Beautiful to look at. The nose is light and floral, with a nice nectar honey aroma. Something just doesn't quite blend right however, a tee bit sour. The taste is light with a dull apple taste, a small hint of fruit orchards, grape and some honey grain. Not bad but something seems amiss. Light bodied and goes well with salads. Drinkable on hot days, but I expected more from Rogue.

beertaster13, Aug 12, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -3.3%

Served on tap at Gibney’s in downtown Atlanta. Gibney’s has a decent beer list and there are not many better options in the immediate area (Near the Marriott Marquis).

Served in a special Rouge glass, the beer was a cloudy bronze with good lacing & a compact head.

Sweet candy nose with hints of malts.

The taste is very sweet (think hard candy) with some nice bitterness. As I worked through the beer it became a bit more grainy, but unfortunately it stayed way to sweet.

The mouth is pleasantly thick. To sweet to be sessionable but it is a somewhat enjoyable one off.

Redrover, Aug 11, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -26%

Pours a beautiful golden amber color with a nice white head. Aroma is orange peel and yeast that is slightly peppery and quite tart. Taste is overly peppery and tart that leaves a strong bitter aftertaste. The taste is just not very pleasant at all. I love saisons but the taste does injustice to the style in my opinion. Some may like, but it is not for me.

cjgator3, Jul 26, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -32%

22 oz bomber.
6.2% abv, 18 IBUs

Foggy golden amber color...rocky head of off-white foam, very little lacing, though. Aroma is some citrus with some light toffee malts and hints of peppery spices that go along with a macro-ish familiarity of metallic tinge..
Quite a bit of malt backing for flavor..overpowering really. The spices and Belgian yeast just don't shine through like they should.
High carbonation also makes it somewhat difficult to swallow..
Man, I thought I'd enjoy this one..but it was pretty much a mess all-around. Just not put together very well, in my opinion..

One of the few Rogue offerings that ranks low for me.

hero27, Jul 11, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer has no appeal to me. It moves in disjointed directions with a slightly soapy taste ending in a peppery bite. The ginger is edgy and it didn’t help matters to be served a flat-bodied pint at Rogue’s new Public House in Astoria. Stylistically, this beer is very un-Rogue, perhaps because Rogue abandons its hallmark yeast strain in favor of a Belgian import. It is densely unfiltered tarnished brass, headless, morose, and the aroma is a rank, corrupted spice.
A stylistic aberration.

RedDiamond, Jul 08, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

Since this is my first review, and my first of this type of beer, I am not sure what to expect. It smells kind of dirty and stale and musty. The taste is soury and peppery. Lots or carbonation and a crisp and clean feel. Not too bad, but I think Iike others better.

concussed, Jul 08, 2006