XS Old Crustacean - Rogue Ales

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-03-2001

Formerly "Old Crustacean"

8 Ingredients:
Hugh Baird Carastan and Rogue Micro Barley Farm DareTM & RiskTM Malts; Chinook and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Freedom Hops, Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

25º PLATO
83 AA
57º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,206 | Reviews: 699
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow. This is beer? This is one potent brew.

Appearance: Pours a deep red color, very hazy, lets almost no light through (take that, wimpy photons!). Not too much of a head, but what is there sticks to the side of the glass and won't let go.

Smell: Roasty coffee, dark fruit, bread, lots going on here.

Taste: Starts off with a big hop taste. A little sour, but with a sweetness that kinda sneaks up on you.

Mouthfeel: Very full, carbonation is perfect. Alcohol smacked me in the mug. Kind of a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: This is a sipping brew, no question about it, but as I sit here sipping this lovely liquid and listening to old Winston Churchill speeches with some Maiden thrown in, life is good. Not a beer to drink to many of, this one should be appreciated. Very nice.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Rogue's barley wine...2002 vintage

Pretty excited about this one!

Pours and shines like a painting. A vibrant and rusty burgundy with hints of maroon on the side. Nice color!

Smells powerful and hoppy! Scents of apple and cinnamon with sweet toffee and some caramel.

Well rounded and very tasty. A total hop monster at 120 IBU's but the malts seems to even this out quite well while still retaining a strong bitterness. Loosely carbonated but warming.

Boy do I wish this was still available.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow. i came across a couple bottles on a lower shelf in Kearney Nebraska for 2$ a pop for 7oz bottles. Upon closer inspection, i see that they were bottled in 1996 - 8 years old! I bought them.

Ah. Poured out the chocolate rusty colored beverage into a glass. It was almost too dark and dirty looking. Didn't let much light through, for the cloudiness. Are these bottle conditioned. The bottom of the bottle harbored a dark sludge.

The smell was glorious. Sherry malt sweet sweet galore. It was nose candy (in the most innocent sense). There was chocolate, raisin, candy, flowers. It was overwhelming. Smelling it was almost satisfactory, but of course i drank some.

The taste did not disappoint. A definite sipper, though. Almost like a liquor. It seemed flat, but the flatness lent itself quite well to the drink.

A blast of alcohol on my after-sip exhale, but the pull into the mouth is sweet. My stomach warmed.

The tongue is assaulted with lingering bitterness in the aftertaste. My stomach gets warmer and warmer.

Very intense but it awesome.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

This is the closest to an actual ruby color of any of the barleywines I've had so far.. It's a little light on the head. and has a bitter, hoppy finish, but the there's enough malt in the body to suggest that this better could handle aging for another year or so very well.

2.57/5  rDev -35.9%

This is high octane syrup. They used good malts and hops, but it's just too much. Super thick, super heavy. Would be better if it came in a 6 oz. bottle maybe? Burnt caramel, heavily hopped. Dark rust colored. It's a good warmer though. If you want barleywine, try Old Foghorn instead.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Impressions of poorly made pancake batter with maple syrup and grapefruit on the side. No real separation between the two "worlds" -- malt and hops. Another west coast exercise in extremism, the flavor begins with a strong, caramel, sweet malt profile. And with little to no warning, it somehow seemlessly shifts gears to an oily hop bomb. Awkward but good -- in that tongue-numbing sort of way. I think one bottle is about my limit, especially in these newer 12 oz bottles. I'm definitely setting one of the 2002s aside for a few years to see what happens.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Alright this is what good beer is all about. Big time flavor in this one. Pours a reddish copper color with a big creamy head. Smells syrupy sweet. But the taste shows so many flavors that I can't figure them all out. Sweet fruit flavors hit first. Those are followed by the traditional Rogue hops which seem more in place to me here than in the stouts. The hoppiness is very very bitter. This is one of the hoppiest, if not the hoppiest beer I have had. The malts are there but can't hold up to the hop bitterness. Finally a dry alcohol flavor comes forth and finishes off the beer for me. Very intense alcohol esters. Definitely an intense experience!

3.59/5  rDev -10.5%

This is my first foray into the barleywine. The bottle poured a glistening reddish brown that turned amber when held to the firelight. The smell was of cloves and the rush of cigar tobacco when the humidor is just opened. The malt flavors quickly rushed to the back of my throat and dissapeared with an alcohol pitch, and my whole head was filled with aroma and flavors of leather, oak and alcohol. The mouthfeel was dry lingered long, almost making me wait to take another drink before the hop flavors gave way. Each mouthful grew more complex, but overall the alcohol taste made me aware that this was a style I'll probably need to become more acquainted with and I look forward to revisiting htis review in the future.

This is definately a style that will stand up well to my tatse in cigars and I think I'll have to pair the two next time I try a barleywine.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

2002 vintage.

It poured an opaque dark maroon, with a tan head that faded fast. (Not surprising, with 11.3% ABV!) The aroma was hops, tobacco, prune, chocolate.

Taste was espresso, tobacco, leather, and malt. After a few minutes, that was totally inundated with hops, followed by warming alcohol. The mouthfeel was creamy, and it finished with hops and charcoal.

This sat in my cellar for about 8 months or so, but as other reviews have said, it could have stayed for a lot longer. Still, it was pretty awesome!

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

I must say that I am not a veteran when it comes to barleywine style beers. The last one that I had was Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot last winter.
I bought two bottles of this on 11/20/03 and the bottle says that it was bottled in 2001. I will keep one in storage for later tasting.
It poured out of the bottle like dirty swamp water. There was little, if any, head at the top. The color reminded me of a dark apple cider. As far as smell goes, i really couldn't pick up on anything particular. The first sip tasted of chocolate and the aftertaste is quite dry. Suprisingly, the alcohal was not overpowering at all. I believe the key to this beer is drink it a little cooler than room temperature. I think it is a pretty good tasting beer, although nothing terribly special. Like I had mentioned, I am not an advocate for barleywine styled beer, but this one was comparable to the great tasting Bigfoot.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

2002 Bottle opened 11/19/03

The beer is dangerous!I'm slowly introducing myself to barleywines and this one almost scared me off.I do have to appreciate it for what it is though.Appearance is a clean deep ruby with a thin film of beige for a head and the aroma is very nice.Scent of chocolate,caramel,raisin and faint cherries came from across the table.Taste is more chocolate and fruit with an immense dry,bitter hop kick.Your mouth can't stop puckering.Aftertaste is dry with an elixir remnants.I almost couldn't finish it, but I gotta do what I gotta do.This is a very good barleywine and if that's your style, you will enjoy.If you are new to this, then proceed with caution.

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%

ok this is a 2001 bottle. this poured out like murky pond water. cloudy with very little head. the nose of this is big alcohol and big hops being delivered on a huge grain bill. taste wise? ok remember when you were little and to defend yourself against big siblings/cousins/friends youd swing your arms like a windmill to fend off their advances? ok well your tongue is the would be attacker and this beer windmill punches your tongue until it dosnt want anymore. big caramel and roasted flavors, sweet and savory riding shotgun while big piney/floral evil hops are behind the wheel. also there is no mistaking the big alcohol in this brew, you can taste AND feel it. pretty smooth going down, but one 12oz is enough for me.

paid $2.99

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Soooey! Wow, what a beer be here. Plum out of your head with the richness of this giant beer. Pours a hazy, murky light copper with a thin tan head and light lacing. The nose is awesome putting huge notes of fruit and malt at center stage,. Purely an acohol blast disguised in malt clothing. Sweet with balancing hops barely restraining the overwhelming nature of this brew. Thick, rich, creamy mouthfeel with lots of reminders of the ABV, from the warmth to the residual tang from the whang. Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!

4.54/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Murkey, foreboding dark cider / iced tea body. Very thin, frothy tan head fades fast (what could survive in there?) but huddles in a ring at the glass edge. No lace.
Smell: Whoa... grabs your nose with corrosive hops. Huge grainy roasted malt, over-ripe grape/raisin/huckle-rasp-elderberry mash, alcohol takes what's left of your mucous membrane and strips it out. I think I've been violated.
Taste: Full rich sweet (but not sickish) grainy malt.. it would take a ton of bitter hops to dry this out.. and that's just what it does. Pine, evergreen saps, dried fruits... B-a-r-l-e-y-w-i-n-e.
Mouthfeel: Viscous, warm, course grain, alcohol numbness of the lips. Tingly carbonation eats away at your mouth lining.
Drinkability: One is plenty... but not cuz it's not good. Crusty is a great name for this whale of an ale.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Draught @ Papago (02/15/03)
The same deep dark and handsome color on the pour, head is modest and the lace residue a fine covering sheet. The nose fusel alcohol, malt, caramel, more like bourbon than beer, Tons of sweet malt at the start, top thick and the finish dastardly in its acidic bite, detrimental amount of hops, devastating is the alcohol sting, aftertaste alcohol bitter and long lasting. "God" how I love this beer and I just found a 12oz bottle? Never seen that one before, yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and he works for Rogue.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

2002 Vintage: Pours a nice tan head that dissapated quickly. The beer is dark tea in color. It smells like sweet malty alcohol, with just a bit of cherry to round it out. The taste is at first sweet, but barleywine sweet, as in you know its gonna bite you if you drink it too quick. The sweetness fades into malty caramel, which in turn disappears as the bitter aftertaste comes rolling in. It continues to bite at the back of your tongue as your stomach warms.

3.54/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sweet maple undertone. Raw espresso bean on the finish. But on to the hops, because that's what this beer is.

For 120 IBUs (Jesus, I can barely process that), this actually isn't too rough. The bitterness comes in stages, almost like tasting the different early hop additions seperately. The floral, lightly smoky, caramel opening gives way to an initial esteriness that quickly yields to a piney bittering from the Chinook. I've actually had one person tell me it tasted like fish (maybe that's where the name comes from?). If you can bare the initial blitzkrieg of Chinook, however, there's a great deal of floral and malty sweetness to be found in the brew. The bitters just kind of set up camp on the back of your tongue and there's not much that can be done about that. They frame (almost physically) the rest of the flavors in this brew and work nicely with each one of them. There's a consistent burst of esters a few seconds into each sip that has notes of roses and bubblegum. The Centennial hops are a wonderful counter to the Chinook.

If there is a problem with this beer, it is simply far too young. I can taste the very petals and feel the oils from the hops in my mouth. I've gotten less intense hop notes from fresh hop pellets than I do from this beer. I had a chance to try last year's at a tasting and it was quite mellow; I can only imagine what a couple years might do to this batch. I absolutely love the use of Centennial hops (a very floral hop that usually reminds me of rose water). Father Time, please: Tame the beast.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Fairly small tan head that recedes to form a ring around the edges of the glass. Very deep hazy copper in color. Lots or rich caramel malt, a touch or fruitiness, hints or rum, and a trace of hops all on the nose. Old Crustacean has a smooth start of nice caramel malt – sweet, but not overly so. The alcohol is noticeable towards the middle and fades somewhat towards the finish. Strong hops and roasted bitterness finish out the brew and linger for a while. The alcohol hit me rather quickly with this brew. I doubt I could drink more then one. The roasted notes and hop bitterness were more then other barely wines that I’ve had that tend to lean heavily in the malt direction. Old Crustacean is big in all directions. As it warms, the alcohol, malts, and bitterness seem to meld together more and more. Good brew. Nice barley wine to sit back, relax, and enjoy slowly. I’d like to let one of these age and see how it mellows. At this point, it’s anything but mellow.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 ounce bottle, just as the BA Database picture.

Dated near the neck shank as “Bottled 2002”, “Unfiltered and Unfined”.

Appearance: A murky, turbid looking brown body. The condensation on my glass together with the cloudy body can give an almost impenetrable dark brown aura when viewed. A controlled pour offered no head until late in the pour when the lazy gases finally come out of solution and struggle to form a thin brown head. Halo like, the covering is thick at the edges whilst there is just a thin covering on the surface. Limited but crusty lacing.

Nose: Dark fruits, caramel and toffee laden alcohol. A lingering odor in the nose when deeply inhaled. The vapors are pungently invasive and intoxicating.

Taste: Alcohol, ethanolic and very woody in nature, warming but not scorching, incredibly refined and smooth but still with a very sharp bitterness. The bitterness is intense, and it has a liquorice and aniseed character that hits the tongue in the back end. Finishes with warmth in the throat. The high bitterness, tinged with some malty warmth, lingers for quite some time – and makes for interesting belches.

Mouthfeel: Punches the cheeks and yells “Come On!!” It’s here, and it is not going to be ignored. Has a slick oily feel about it, thick almost treacle-like consistency.

Drinkability: 12 ounces – I so wish this would have been a Bomber, there again, I do have to work tomorrow!

Overall: A highly impressive, gorgeous Barleywine. This was the first time I have seen the RogueXS OC Barleywine. I only picked one up – damn, I wish I got a couple more because I bet this 2002 sucker ages really well in the next 5 years!!

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

2002 version (Tasted: 10/21/03)
===
Medium-dark milk chocolate brown with a nice full creamy light brown head, decent carbonation, and lace rings. Citrusy, sprucey, piney hop aroma which turns fruity and malty as the hop aroma subsides. Big malty and hoppy balanced flavor but definitely more malty with bitterness very apparent. Full bodied with a slow burning alcohol finish.

DRINK FRESHER - much better than 1998 version tasted on same day. Scores reflect 2002 version otherwise they would have been lower...

1998 version (Tasted: 10/21/03)
===
Medium-dark brown with lots of suspended sediment. Pours thick with no head and low carbonation. Huge malty and bitter aroma with an alcohol nose. Big malty flavors -- chocolate notes. Alcohol so apparent it overtakes the bitterness. Full bodied and smooth with a burning alcohol finish.

In general, I prefer S.N. Bigfoot over this one, any year, any time -- hops much fresher in Bigfoot.

Per bottle (7 oz. and 12 oz.): 26 Plato, 120 IBU, 38 L, 73.1 AA, "Unfiltered and Unfined", Ingred: Great Western Harrington, Klages, Munich, Hugh Baird Carastan malts. Centennial and Chinook hops.

($3.49 / 7 oz.) & ($3.99 / 12 oz.)

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - Brown, not dark brown, but so cloudy and thick it appears dark brown. I can't actually see the sediment, but I'm sure it's in there. This ale also showed off a beautiful head that laced the glass well. I thought high ABV ales weren't supposed to lace?

Smell - Nice malt and hop backbone to the sherry-laced aroma.

Taste - Watch out! The alcohol flavor is cranking on this one. The hops move back to the finish and the sherry runs up front. The malt base is thick and substantial though and is finally able to balance things out. This is like Old Guardian mixed with vodka.

Mouthfeel - Don't drink this with a cut on your mouth; the alcohol will send you screaming. It's actually quite smooth all things considered though. It's very full in the body, of course, and leaves a wonderful hop aftertaste.

Drinkability - This is definitely one of my favorite Barley Wines. Don't even think about giving this to your Budweiser Buddies, though.

Update - This ale cellars very well, so I stashed away a bottle of 2002 and opened it four years later in 2006 to share with my buddy skyhand.

It just reeks when you open the aged bottle. The rotten wine smell will curl your toes, and the dryness comes through at the nose. The monster pine hopping seems almost curdled, and the flavors amazing carry over the big hop balance even after all those years in the cellar. What a terrific ABW!

Update - I popped a cellared '08 in 2010 and OMG is this just ripe! The appearance is again absolutely magnificent and better than any other beer that I've ever had. It's not just a perfect 5.0 but better than the few other 5.0s I've given over the years.

This is such a unique ale, and the smells, flavor, and feel of it are in a class all by itself that really defies description. It is one of the most amazing beers that I've had the privelege to drink and is just a hair away from perfect 5's all around, mostly due to the overweight alcohol feel.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

This is the best barleywine i have ever had! The aroma is sweet and full of esters and malt with a slight hoppiness. The flavor is complementary to the aroma as it is a lot like the aroma except for a hidden chocolate flavor and an excellent hop bitterness that allows this barleywine to be tasted again and again without being either too sweet or too bitter. Smooth character is lent from a lighter body than is normally found in barleywines which conributes to the high drinkability. Not a session beer for sure due to the 11.3% alcochol but definetly one to cellar and to cherish along with the best belgian ales. 2002 vintage.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz. bottle, bottled in 2002. Not much head on this dark amber brew that is hazy. Head reduces to a thin film. Aroma is hoppy for a Barley Wine but does have a sweet bready maltiness as well with a hint of caramel. Medium bodied and has a really smooth texture. I'm not a fan of the style but this is pretty decent to me, probably due to the hops. Flavor is sweet and malty with a bitterness from the hops. Has a bit of a kick at the end but alcohol is hidden well. Very bitter aftertaste and a nice warming sensation

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Quite syruppy, with warming alcohol in the finish. Bitter hops finish, loads of hops. Caramelly/chocolatey malts, some roasty coffee. Loads of ingredients and flavour, some herbal notes. Once again with Rogue, you're guaranteed flavour, just a bit too syruppy and a touch cloying. (Bottle-GBBF 03')

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

First of all, whoever is in charge of naming Rogue's beers has earned one shiny penny... and my respect. I don't quite know how this barleywine came to be known as 'Old Crustacean,' but it is cool, and I like it. Hell, I should have listened to Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" while I was trying this beer. But hindsight is always 20/20.

I drank this bitch with high expectations and Lord, were they met. I've never written a review that was particularly descriptive of a beer's qualities and I'm not about to start; sometimes, it's redundant and unnecesary to comment upon hop and malt content when dozens of others have done so. HOWEVER, this was one of the most notably hoppy, malty, fruity, alcoholic-y bottles o' hooch I ever done swallowed. This little barnacle bolstered my affinity for barleywines, and as long as world-class breweries like Rogue continue to churn them out, I'll be a returning customer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
XS Old Crustacean from Rogue Ales