2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Frosty Frog (JLS Release #12) - Rogue Ales

Frosty Frog (JLS Release #12)
No picture uploaded.
good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Enola on 04-09-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 14 | Reviews: 14
philbertk

Washington

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

$20 / Pint @ Chuck's 85th Hop Shop, Ballard, Seattle. 9% ABV. Mild lace thin white head.. Clear Pale amber gold color. Fruity Belgian Plum Raisin notes. Rich and tasty but a little too much. Clean end. Nice aromatics. Exotic but averagely satisfying. (2.75 / 5.0)

12-13-2012 06:25:27 | More by philbertk
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured a light plum color with good carbonation and a small whute head. Nose is full if booze and hop bitterness. Taste is raisin,molasses, big hop bite o thend and booze. Mouthfeel is booze, hops, hops and more hops on the end. Not very appealing to me.

03-22-2010 00:33:49 | More by barleywinefiend
Floydster

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

Sampled at the Rogue Public House in San Francisco on 1/23/09, reviewed from notes, glad to see this brew make it from Issaquah, color is dark red with some brown tones, 3/4 inch creamy tan head that sticks around for a few minites, some lacing too, aroma consists of raisins, spruce, booze, sugar, caramel, raspberries, and , flavor is strong and everything about it is, lots of hot alcohol and spice, was told it was 9.5% ABV but seemed a lot higher, flavors did not work together, needed some dryness to balance out weird spices and sugary sweet characteristics, lots of caramel and other toasted malts by the end, warms up and become both boozier and sweeter though, sweet, spicy, and boozy mouthfeel, medium bodied, too syrupy and in need of more carbonation, could not drink more than a few ounces of this stuff, there was a lot left in my glass when I was done with it, alcohol is not hidden at all, flavors are overwhelming, I really did not like this beer and that is not usually the case with Rogue beers, one of my least favorites of their whole lineup, way too spicy and reminded me too much of a liquor at times, over the top winter warmer that I would not revisit, not recommended

03-06-2009 03:29:59 | More by Floydster
mcallister

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Had this on draught at BW'3 Indianapolis.

Cabonation bubbles take over the sides of the glass with a little white head that does not retain itself. The liquid is a clear nutmeg color.

Raisiny, dried fig aromas with hints of rum, mollasses, and sweet malt.

Thin watery mouthfeel. Big raisin flavors, and a sweet mollasses kick. Nice alcohol burn in the chest. A weird take on this beer but I'm glad I tried it.

07-30-2006 14:07:43 | More by mcallister
WVbeergeek

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Served up at Smokin' Joe's in the southside...appears a deep ruby hue sorta murky seems a bit unfiltered forms a nice large tan moccha head leaves behind even streaks of lacing. Aromatics on this one contains big lush caramel malts with an upfront hop aroma full of raw piney and floral hop bursts. Taste...well I'm guessing without prior knowledge that this is a strong or an old ale with the big chewy malt layers full of raisins and caramel notes matched with high alpha hops serious bitterness more piney and floral resinous hop tones simply coat the palate. Mouthfeel medium to full bodied brew oily textured even soft carbonation. Drinkability high despite the big flavors and I'm guessing high abv overall a satisfying limited release from Rogue.

06-09-2006 06:58:35 | More by WVbeergeek
jwff

Alaska

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Had 2 pints of this tonight at the Flying Saucer.. fire sale so 2.50 for each.

Very dark. It's tough to judge exact color in a bar environment, but I would say quite a few shades lighter than a stout. This says American strong ale but I would actually put it in some pale ale hybrid. Nice lacing all the way down.

Smell was faintly hoppish (hence the frog moniker?). I picked up some caramel notes but they were very faint. Couldn't really distinguish what I was gonna get. When it came to the taste it all kind of came apart. This starts out very hoppy, not sure of the kinds of hops, but there is not much balance here. I picked up a lot of raisin in the malt profile, and caramel sugars. Not my favorite mix in the world, citrus and caramel, but the price was low enough to warrant a second dose. The mouthfeel was thinnish but this worked in the beers favor as it boosts the drinkability considerably.

Not my favorite, but an interesting effort. I have no idea what category to group this beer in, but I'm glad I tried it. Kind of a caramel IPA.

05-10-2006 04:09:16 | More by jwff
HardTarget

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Nice west coast hop, citric and juicy. There’s a hint of spice going on too.

Appearance: Deep amber with orange edges. Speckled tinted head that lasts and gives up some tidemark lace as I slowly introduce its doom.

Taste: Wow, hard one to quantify. Nice and hoppy; Hops are citric (grapefruit being the most prevalent) and a bit floral. For all the hops, it’s fairly well balanced by a heavy caramel, and I swear I get a bit of peat malt, base. After checking the Rogue website, I can note the full raisin flavor. All in all, the main flavor is the full juicy hop goodness that only the west coast can provide.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body, thick texture, low carbonation. There’s an easy, almost creamy quality as well.

Overall: wow. I can see this as being a love or hate beer, but I’m firmly on the love side. Rich, powerful, hoppy, full, complex, it hides the potent alcohol like a squirrel hides its favorite nut. If I didn’t have to drive and function as a reasonable competent human being, I’d slam these all night.

Rouge shoots: THEY SCORE!!!

05-05-2006 21:23:58 | More by HardTarget
StonyB

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

I felt compelled to write a review after trying this beer, which is pretty rare for me. It is truly a unique, style-defying brew...you have to try it to see what I'm talking about.

I had a pint on-tap earlier today at Andy's Corner...

The appearance isn't particularly impressive, though it is interesting. Color is a hazy, murky light brown. Strong lacing.

The aroma hits you...a combo of alcohol, floral notes and brown sugar, among others.

The taste truly sets this beer apart from others...the initial flavor is sweet in a molasses kinda way, thick mouthfeel....then without warning, you get kicked in the teeth by a massive hop attack - totally unexpected...I've never had that kind of double assault in any beer I've tasted.

Despite the high-octane ABV (9.5%), each sip seemed to go down better than the previous one...not necessarily a session beer but you could enjoy a couple in a row, certainly....

Love it or hate it - try it if you have the opportunity.

05-01-2006 01:32:28 | More by StonyB
Kendo

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Got it at the Lionheart Pub in Albany. . . . Poured a fairly clear, coppery in color with a tight tan head. Scent was a mix of malty and floral. First taste surprised me as I didn't know what to expect -- from the appearance and the smell of malt, I thought it would be sweeter, more like a brown ale. I couldn't have been more wrong, as -- BAM! -- the overwhelming taste was hops, right up front and lingering on the tongue; I honestly didn't discern any hops in the initial nose so this was quite a surprise. . . . Not sure what variety of hops they use, but the hoppy bitterness was the dry sort, with a taste of pine or spruce, reminding me of the hops Sierra Nevada uses with its Celebration Ale. . . . As it warmed, it left a slick sensation on the back of my tongue and throat. At first I thought it may be diacetyl, but I realized shortly that it was the alcohol (I also didn't know it was 9.5% ABV when I ordered it). I took "points" off the mouthfeel for that. . . As for drinkability: if you're a hophead, you'll probably like this beer and find it pretty drinkable, despite the high alcohol content. I could've had another but instead shifted to the Rogue Dead Guy, a completely different experience.

All in all another good beer from Rogue. I would definitely try it again.

04-27-2006 15:17:54 | More by Kendo
SkeeterHawk

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pretty clear burnt orange color with an initially assertive head. The head fell to end up as a 1/8” layer of foam on top of the beer, and this maintained for quite some time. There was some lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Super hoppy. Dry with an almost chalky bitterness. I get a notable presence of dark caramel along with a whole bunch of fruity esters. As the beer warms a bit, there is quite a bit of roast becoming noticeable.

Taste: There is a hint of the dark caramel that I got in the nose that is rather pleasant at first, but then the flavor goes south and turns astringently bitter. There is a dry mineral-like chalk flavor that gets stuck to the back of your throat for some time. There is a subtle alcoholic warming that gets you late in the finish after the bitterness manages to leave the back of your throat.

Opinion: This is definitely not my favorite beer. I tend to like Rogue’s darker beers like their Shakespeare Stout and Chocolate Stout, but this fits into the category of their Dead-Guy Ale in that it is super bitter…hoppy…and generally undrinkable IMO. I will not be drinking this beer again.

04-25-2006 02:57:14 | More by SkeeterHawk
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a beautiful translucent caramel copper with a thin, quickly disappearing brown head at the Landmark 1850 in Milwaukee. Aromas of sweet caramel malts and crisp citrus hops. Very barley wine like in terms of both aroma, flavor, and the ABV in the mouthfeel. Slightly effervescent light to medium body with a well covered but still present high ABV. Surprisingly drinkable. I was really thirsty and downed a pint in a few minutes, surprising for such strength and relatively robust flavor.

04-24-2006 20:09:56 | More by DaPeculierDane
winetrdr

United Kingdom (England)

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

On tap at The Flying Saucer in Houston, served in a pint glass.

Has a nice dark caramel color with little head. I didn't know the alcohol content at the time but now I realize why no head. Strong nose of citrus & hops. Tasted like it smelled. A first hint of malt then a slam to the taste buds of hops. I figured this was high alcohol by the taste but 9.5% would not have been my guess as the hops mask any alcohol flavor. The German guy I was with tried a sip and said it tasted like medicine. He's never had a hoppy beer before and this is not a great first choice for someone. Mouthfeel was as it should be, not too viscous like a barleywine but not watery either.

If you like...cross that...love hops, this is a beer for you Drinkability to me is a 5, I could drink this all day. The only problem is the 9.5% ABV.

04-21-2006 11:27:31 | More by winetrdr
hoffman

Nebraska

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

This is Darn Nice beer. My first selection while waiting for a plane at the Landmark 1850 in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Poured in a pint glass this beer is a dark brown/black color with an almost mohagany head. The smell is effervecent and nice, hops predominately. The taste is great, full body with sweet malts up front, and a nice hop kick at the finish. The mouthfeel is nice as well, not overly carbonated but enough that you know your having a beer. I would drink this one again if I had the opportunity.

04-14-2006 19:47:19 | More by hoffman
Enola

4.3/5  rDev +15%

*On-tap at the Olde Hickory Taproom

The beer was served in a Chimay chalice. The beer was a plum color. There was a small head. The smell was fruity and a little bit citrusy. The taste was fruity with a strong hop presence. The mouthfeel was very smooth for a higher ABV beer. The alcohol was well subdued. I could drink this beer again. Too bad it is a one-off. This is a sipping beer though. My first JLS beer but not my last.

04-09-2006 16:45:46 | More by Enola