1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Reviews by theWrkncacnter:
3.2/5  rDev -5%

Poured a small amount from a 22oz bottle to see the color and the head, I drank the rest straight from the bottle because that's how you're supposed to drink malt liquor, I couldn't find a paper bag though.

Color is a very disturbing piss yellow/orange. Very little head that fades quickly to no lacing at all. Taste is actually pretty darned good for a malt liquor. Strong alcohol taste with a little bit of hops and lots of malt character. Pretty strong mouthfeel, but decent drinkability.

Kind of a novelty in my opinion, I don't think I'd buy it again. It's cheap, but I think I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get something better. Props to Rogue for their sense of humor though.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

A tribute to Fathers this beer is, my dad well Iam quite sure he would have turned his nose to this he stayed away from the malt liquor.Poured into a .5 liter stein a clear medium to full golden with well formed clingy white head that left some spotty lace as it settled pretty slowly,sweet grainy aromas mainly I detected a touch of lemon in there as well.Pretty stright forward sweet flavors with some vegetal character quite grainy and alcoholic in the finish.Probably the best American malt licka I have had in fact Iam sure it is but dont play around with it its sweet and and could ruin my memorial day holiday if I drink to much of it.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

You've got to try a malt liquor made by Rogue.

A- Clear, tinted yellow with a short lived white head.

S- Sweet malt, cream corn, a whiff of alcohol and an ever so subtle hop note.

T- Grainy, juicy fruit gum, caramel, and noticable but not burning alcohol.

M- Smooth and sweet at first, then as it warms dries out and avoids becoming cloying.

D- First half went down pretty quickly. Second half, not as fast.

A beer worth trying to get a decent example of a normally pretty harsh and unapproachable style, but not one to seek out. Feel free to drink it from the bottle in a paper sleeve.

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue VI:

Brewed with Harrington and Klages malt, flaked corn, Crystal hops, free range coastal water and a Czech Pils (lager) yeast.

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow colored, topped with a respectable white foam lacing. Aroma is fairly clean with notes of sweet corn, a hint of sulfur from the lager yeast, clean cracker-like grain and a faint herbal hop note. Smooth on the palate, creamy and light. Nice bite up front that's a combo of clean solvent-like alcohol, pepper and a quick smacking of hop bitterness that makes you beg for more. Some fruity fusels in the middle, with a moment of candy sweetness. Hop character is distinctly herbal, a little lemony too, along with cereal corn flavors which bring some cooked cream corn notes and a sweetness that lingers well past the finish, which is quite clean with some watery floral flavors.

Simply put: This is a great example of the style, especially as most are pretty damn offensive. Unlike traditional malt liquors that come in 40s and tend to lack in depth of flavor and focus on bang for your buck (aka, how quick it gets you buzzed), Dad's proves that you can have a malt liquor with kick and flavor.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Picked up this bomber awhile back and ended up drinking it with my dad yesterday! Into my glass a golden yellow pour with a thin light bubbly head and fast moving bubbles. Head falls quickly on this one. Light grain and cooked corn aroma. Slightly fruity with a light spiciness, green apple comes to mind for me a bit. Alcohol becomes apparent in the nose as well. Interesting, yet not really inspiring.

First sip brings a grainy maltiness with some light cooked corn highlights. Mellow fruitiness on the way down with a nice spicy, herbal hoppiness in the finish. A bit of alcohol peeks through as well. Not too sweet and not too bitter with a crisp, clean flavor.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a somewhat punchy carbonation. Goes down smooth. A pretty tasty malt liquor that's way ahead of the 40's I used to throw back in college. Still, it's more of a buy it once to try it kinda beer for me, as opposed to something I'd seek out on any regular basis.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

STYLE STYLE STYLE.

Pours a dehydrated urine with no head and zero lacing.

No hops present. Fresh malt, zero roast of course. Above average for no hops smell and freshness.

Tastes sweet. Almost a syrup taste. Alcohol byte, my guess would be 7 or less ABV.

Could be creamy. Pretty light like a pilsner, but smoother. Finish is definately malty, light bodied.

Drinkability is somewhat low only because its not a style I would go for. However, definately a try at least once. I might even try again if its offered or on tap though I dont see myself having more than 1 on any occasion.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

A bomber poured into a pilsner glass. The beer was golden in color with a thick, sticky white head. So far, so good. Things went a bit downhill from there. Not much in the way of aroma, mostly sweet corn. Same with the taste, sweet corn with maybe a little spiciness. Kind of filling, but not much mouthfeel. One and done.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

1 pt 6fl oz amber bottle.

A: A straw color, very solid with some white bubbles on it that disappear almost instant,very nice

S: Some sweets and grains.

T: Honey is very present in there,,some carbonation also,maltiness and sweetness also.

M&D: Easy to drink,nice in the mouth better than the average malt-liquour

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark blond with a nice white head. Definitely looks like a malt liqour. Not sure if that's a good thing.

I'm not getting much on the nose. Hints of some sweet malt and the corn.

A little thin and watery up front with a heavy sweet malt blast on the finish. fainter lingering aftertaste.

While this is definitely several notches above the OE, Steel Reserve and the like and I appreciate the effort, it's not really up my alley. Not likely to choose this again. If you're a 40's kinda guy or gal though, give a 22 of this a try.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer!

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: bright yellow in color, 1/2 inch head, moderate carbonation, clear

Smell: toasted malt, grass, and honey

Taste: grass, honey, small amount of hops, toasted malt, and a touch of alcohol

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweet with a small touch of bitter hops

Drinkability: I find the honey malt combo to be very tasty. The alcohol is there, but not as overpowering as some in the style. I will have this again, but will not rush out for it. It is good for the style. This is one of the better beers from Rogue that I have had lately. Normally I am disappointed with them having a grand idea and not executing. Here I had mixed feelings about the idea, but execution was very good.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a clear darker gold with a small ring of bubbles as a head. No lacing. That good ole malt liquor aroma; malty, sugary, and alcohol-medicinal-veggie. Its a scent all of its own. Taste is the same, just not as chewy as a Mickey's. Malty-sweet, sugary, and grainy. Corn syrup with some hop bitterness in the finish. Didn't really entice me to drink the whole bomber, but I did before it warmed. It IS a malt liquor, after all.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appears a deep clear honey golden tone really clear quick dwindling white head leaves uneven lacing around my 12oz pour. Aroma has sweet maltiness with a touch of honey sweetness evident cooked veggies and corn sweetness mild fruit tart apple note light herbal hop finish. Flavor is a bit rough alcohol wave crashes syrupy honey malt notes rough malt liquor edge with cooked veggies and more tart apple in the finish an interesting beer from Rogue ales to produce. Mouthfeel thin to light bodied brew, carbonation not enough to carry the heavy offtones found here. Drinkability not so much I wouldn't comeback to this especially with Rogue Integrity on tap at the same bar.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

(Served in an dimple mug)

A-This beer has a golden straw body that is clear with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. There is a foamy white head that turns to a film but last for a good bit.

S- The slight sweet smell of pale malt has a dry sulfur note to it but is pretty clean otherwise.

T- The dry light pale malt flavor has a faint corn sweetness with a faint dry hop bitterness in the finish. There is a slight sweetness that comes through more after the pale malt but th corn flavor is not as noticeable. There is a faint butter note in the malt as it warms also.

M- This beer has a medium light body.

D- This beer is light and very subtle in flavor and the malt liquor notes are very faint.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

Pours a big white head atop a clear golden colored Malt Liquor, the head quickly dies down to a nice lasting lacing.

A light beery alcohol hints in a sweet corn syrupy aroma, with a little bit of sourness coming through.

More of the sweet corn syrupy comes through in the taste, sense a little alcohol in the taste but nothing overpowering.

The aftertaste is not quite dry and has some of the syrupy sweetness as the taste.

Reminds me of the cheap beer cooler in Circle K or Seven 11 with all those malt liquors, this one might be head and shoulders above all those but it still has that same taste, excuse me while I run to the fridge and grab an IPA

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is gone? When did that happen. Oh well, here's to what may be the only reasonably well-made Malt Liquor ever brewed.

This take on the beer that's made homeless drunks and their brown paper bags famous looks like the others, a clear sort of pale-medium yellow color. There's actually a nice little foam on top, just barely off-white, that settles in time and leaves pretty good spotting on the glass.
It's to style with the exception that it lacks the gasoline notes in the aroma. Doesn't smell like gas...interesting. What it does have is some corn, but not the vomit-inducing creamed corn, lightly sulfuric notes, a little leaf, and some husk on a crackery malts backbone. It could be stronger, but not if strength meant what the other guys mean.
The taste is clean, and there's actually some hoppiness to this one, a little floral and herbal to balance the dry malt. There's a mingling of citrus as well, some zesty lemon and maybe orange peel. A little sweetness and some corn is there too with some fusel notes leaning toward the fruity side (think red apple, sweet but a little tart), it actually is surprisingly less than disgusting. Who knew it was possible?
The feel is clean in about a medium body, a little thick just at the end so that it leans toward syrupy but stops just short. It has a nice, soft crispness that stays through the whole way and actually adds to the smoother aspects.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic. Split with fellow BAs infi, NYManc and johnjae.

Pours a hazy dark apricot hue with a whitish half-inch frothy head that recedes quickly, leaving some small amounts of sticky, stringy lacing. There's a bunch of weird little particles suspended in the liquid, not sure what they are. Corn dominates the nose along with some yeast and plenty of graininess. Quite sweet smelling.

Taste is very slightly hoppy to start, but that quickly gives way to the corny sweetness and malty grains. The malts ride with you until the end, where a subtle but definite alcohol presence makes itself known. Aftertaste has lingering notes of corn and some bready sweetness. Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with a good amount of carbonation that makes for easy drinking. The finish is dry, but not as much as I was expecting.

Really easy to drink, as is typical of the style. I could easily imagine downing a forty of this. It tastes much better than its counterparts brewed by the macro companies, but at a hefty price point, I think I might be better off with some Olde English 800 if I want to get buzzed quick. All in all, a solid if unspectacular beer.

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer pours a slightly hazy light straw colour, with two fingers of creamy, puffy white head, which leaves a paint-job of lace around the glass as it falls away. It smells of white cracker grain, grass, and a little skunk. The taste is white grain malt, with a bit of corn mealiness, grassy hops, and some relatively smooth warming alcohol. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, and only hinting at being cloying, and it finishes sweet, the mixed grains and mild booziness holding things together.

The malt liquor heritage definitely shines through, but everything seems fuller and more well rounded than every other example of the style I've had the misfortune of sampling - but I suppose that's the whole point.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty good, especially for any malt liquor I've seen. Extremely clear brassy amber color with a white head and actual retention. Nose is hard to detect but what I find is sweet corn, caramel malt, and light delicate fruit. Tastes likewise with some lingering bitterness which helps counter the sweet caramel corn. Mouthfeel is suprisingly nice for what this is. Coating and smooth with a light to medium body and moderate but extended carbonation. Drinkability is ok. Back in the day I've had some malt liquors that don't go down nearly as easy.

Interesting and worth the experience I guess. I suppose if you're on a 'mission' and for some reason have a hankering for malt liquor, pick this up.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours out a Golden Yellow color, plenty of life, totally clear with a thin white, fizzy head that's gone baby gone!

Sweet honey aroma in the malt, then becoming more tart with slight herbs and pepper. A sour-yeastiness is detected that is brett-ish, perhaps this one has seen better days?

A tangy, sour and sickly sweet malt pops out first, but something doesn't seem right here. Tart and tangy?? did this yeast run-amok?? The feel is also pretty flat and lifeless looking and tasting. Herbal tang and green veggies just does not cut it. The flaked corn is unique aspect but I can't detect any of it's effects. I've actually used flaked corn in my homebrew before, and it just doesn't come through here.

I'm willing to give this another shot, hopefully the next one will be much better.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer pours a clear gold with a small white head that's gone quikly. The smell is weak with only a hint of malt. The taste is crisp with malt sweetness and a somewhat mettalic aftertaste. The m/f is light and the flavors are not mixed all that well making this almost a joke beer. This really isn't much better than other macro beers and I can't see getting this again.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz. bomber that I'm already worried I paid too much for at $7.

Served cool into a pint glass, Dad's Little Helper is a pale straw yellow color with good clarity and thin white head.

Aroma is mildly spicy but mostly just pale cereal grains and alcohol.

Flavor is much the same. It's similar to the strong Euro pale lagers I had but a little more crisp and not as hot. Corny and sweet, spicy and not too hoppy.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, smooth, almost buttery, with a noticible grain alcohol heat.

Overall it was over priced and not that good. However, it was probably the best malt liquor money could buy me that day.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear gold with a fleeting white dome that settles in as a collar.
Cereal grain nose, Corn Chex mostly, with a handful of Honey-Nut Cheerios, and a shot of grain alcohol.
Enters with a unprepossessing sense of grain. Vague and neutral, then it forays into honey and lingers there for a moment. Corn gradually comes out with warmth (and I poured this literally ice-cold, it's a fucking malt liquor, after all). Cloyingness follows the same arc- semi-clean upfront, then, uh, not so much. A bit of chalky yeast interplay fouls up a generally brisk lagered middle. There are some gritty, stale-seeming earthy hops, but then a bizarre and incongruent sense of vanilla and hazelnut flashes for a second before the dilute Moonshine-esque boozy closure.
Abrasively fizzy up front, then it settles and turns tackier.
Hard to call here. It's not a great beer, and while probably better than any gas-station tall can, it doesn't seem faithful enough to give it kitsch points.
At least Dogfish went balls-out with the actual 40oz bottle.

2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Derek. Intentional corn and malt and alcohol. To get drunk by, but nah at 7%. Light yellow with white soapy head. Sugar for sure.Maybe better cold.Ethanol liquor.A real experiment, but worthwhile.Not very complex flavour, maybe in the first week.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Had bought two bottle of this beer to have a good idea for a review....

Poored from a bottle @ 5 oC, yellow light appricot in color. i guess this one is not filtered because it's hazy and getting more and more trouble as emptying it!

Faint nose, sweet, smell something, maybe corn because I know it is made off, but this is extrapolation... No nose of hops at all. Expect low IBU for this one.

Mouth is Ok, not revealing much to me. Carbonation is medium-low. Metal taste in mouth and malt is very present as expected.

Drinkability is ok. Not much to say about this beer except that I'm a bit disapointed to be honest. I was hoping something more "Rogue", but I got something... else! something, not mainstream, but usual. Too bad! Glad to have tasted it, but will look for other very good and pleasent Rogue product.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales