Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

Deep golden color with little head and no lacing; best malt liquor I have ever seen.

Same with the smell. Big sweet and roasty aroma with a bit of alcohol; this is the best I've ever smelled by miles in this style.

Very sweet which covers up a big alcohol bite; bitter hops come through but don't overpower; once again, far and away the best.

Mouthfeel suffers a lot. It's way under carbonated for the style and as a stand alone beer, not carbonated enough to carry the sweetness. Amp up the bubbles and it would be perfect.

Perfect malt liquor except for the carbonation; best I've ever had for sure.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

Bought at Nikki's Liquors in PVD. Found out last week that the best liquor store in the area is 2 miles from work. I can go on my lunch break!! Also note.. I've tried damn near any malt liquor out there, reviews coming soon. This is one style of beer that I have a LOT of experience with. Ah, college. Good times, good times.

A- Moderately deep orange, a lot more color than expected. I consider myself a 40oz malt liquor expert, and this one looks awesome for the style.

S- Corn and malt sweetness. No alcohol detected. Very classic malt liquor smell.... although I can't recall a 40 that ever smelled as good as this. Kind of reminds me of cornbread.

T- Unreal. Good, strong malt mouthfeel with enough hops for a great crispness. Sweet and full-bodied. A tasty malt liquor... that is actually meant to be enjoyed and not pounded. Wow... I'm amazed at the quality considering the style. Spot-on.

M- Classic, refined. This is what you want 40s to taste like. Enough flavor, crispness, and body to keep you happy.

D- Through the roof. In college I downed 2 40s with ease. One bomber is all I have, but believe me when I say I'd drink another couple in a heartbeat.

This style is dear to me, and unfortunately I have a lot of experience with malt liquor. This is the best of the style I've ever found.... Thanks, Rogue! Put this into some 40ozers!!!

Also note, this high score is within the style and not reflected upon my overall high-scores. For the style, this beer earns its score with ease.

4.33/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Malt liquor HUH?! From Rogue?!! Why not! Let's see what sort of uh.. fancy glass I can throw this in, sure a simple nonic pint will do.

A real nice body color that seems to be a faint orange with yellow hues, some large cola bubbles also. Very cloudy appearance. Head barely manages to produce a finger of off white foam, very soapy and large. Clumpy yeast at the bottom, frozen beer almost suspended in appearance, also flakes which don't exactly look appetizing.

This nose is real surprising. Fruity lemon and apple, with some nice grain dry malt behind it. No giant rush of heat expected either. For just malt liquor this is quite a surprise.

Taste brings more of that fruit character. Some rolling lemon but mostly apple on the tongue, mixes with a real nice malt character. Crisp and effervescent but also real strong and chewy grain feeling, with some nice apple flesh and bite. A real nice mix of carbonation in the mid palate too. No sense of boozyness either.

Overall this is shockingly good.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy gold color. It has a nice 1.5-finger pure white head. The head has decent retention, and leaves just a few specs of lacing behind. There are also a lot of small carbonation bubbles visible.

S - It smells of sweet malt and corn flakes? There is a bit of booziness here, and a bit of some fruitiness.

T - The taste sort of follows the nose, but there is more of a hop presence. It tastes mostly of sweet malts, and theres a bit of an alcohol presence. There is something else here as well, that tastes a bit spicy. I can't quite figure out what it is though. The finish is clean and a touch boozy.

M - It has a medium body and medium carbonation. It is a bit sticky, and goes down quite easy. This is a good mouthfeel for the style, definitely better than other malt liquors I've had. There is a very slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

D - Great drinkability here. I really didn't expect much out of this beer, but it totally surprised me. It's not just great for a malt liquor, but it is a great beer in general. I really like the taste of this. I will definitely pick this up again in the future. I could see this being a good transition beer for converting people into craft beer. Plus, it really shows that not all malt liquors have to be garbage.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a light amber with a soft, frothy white head.

Sweet grainy wort smells dominate the nose.

Fairly sweet up front, mellow into slight hop bitterness, leaving a slightly resinous aftertaste.

Medium bodied and seemingly a bit underattenuated, but other than that, this is a fun, easy drinking, yet still flavorful offering from Rogue. John- keep doin' what you do, despite any BA naysayers.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

22 oz bomber into short stemmed tulip.

A: a hazy golden yellow. bubbly head white head with decent retention and lacing.

S: the aroma starts with a slightly acidic twang. complexity with the malts is rather inviting. besides the grain, there is a dynamic between the hops and czech pils yeast that is also delightful.

T: the flavor is bright and a little fruity. a significant hop presence. tons of sweetness. sugary sweetness. the finish has a distinctive linger of corn, but not in a bad way. very nice.

M: carbonation is light and fizzy. medium/full bodied. not your typical malt liquor, but still tasty.

D: pretty tasty brew from Rogue. interesting take on a "malt liquor", and i use quotations simply because of the amount of flavor present here which is not usually the case with american malt liquors. an easy drinking, tasty brew at a very reasonable price. dont know where all the negative reviews are coming from for this beer, but this is a win in my book.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

I had to try something special for my 500th beer review! I had this at a cool little bar called The Grape Escape in downtown Galena Illinois. Every time that we go stay at the cabin we always hang out at the Grape Escape....it's mainly a wine bar, but the atmosphere is great and they have some really nice brews.

A - Cloudy orange with a two finger head that leaves lots of crusty lace on the glass. The head shows some pretty decent retention, and looks nice and thick.

S - Honey from the bear-shaped squeeze bottle, Malt-O-Meal, oatmeal, Honeycomb cereal, pancakes, and booze. This is a very sweet and heady aroma that reminds me of a lot of breakfast items.

T - Rich honey and heather. Molasses, dusty yeast, big time alcohol, dry hay-barn hop flavors. Tastes much like a BSPA, and that's probably what I would have called this is a blind taste test. Heady and flavorful. Nice! Tastes nothing like a malt liquor thank God!

M - Astringent, boozy, full bodied, and very rich. It's really sweet, but tight alcohol dryness keeps it very put together. Never cloying or overly heavy at all! This feels like a malt liquor, but much more well built.

D - Kick ass! I could drink two or three, but I'd be on the floor. This brew did me in for the night and I switched to coffee for the next hour before driving home. Watch out for this one....it'll bite you in the ass!

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Duvel chalice. Surprisingly active carbonation rises to form a retentive 1/2" head. The beer is a nice and full golden color. The first smell yields a husky and fruity aroma. There is a definite pilsner sort of fruityness to this. Taste is similar to the smell. As soon as it hits your tongue there is a burst of citrus. It uses the hops to open up into a slightly drier and grainy flavor. Residual sweetness stays around throughout the entire drink balanced pretty well with the bittering hops. It has a really creamy mouthfeel as well. This beer is top notch for a malt liquor. On sale for $3.53 for a 22, I might just have to go pick up some more.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue VI:

Brewed with Harrington and Klages malt, flaked corn, Crystal hops, free range coastal water and a Czech Pils (lager) yeast.

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow colored, topped with a respectable white foam lacing. Aroma is fairly clean with notes of sweet corn, a hint of sulfur from the lager yeast, clean cracker-like grain and a faint herbal hop note. Smooth on the palate, creamy and light. Nice bite up front that's a combo of clean solvent-like alcohol, pepper and a quick smacking of hop bitterness that makes you beg for more. Some fruity fusels in the middle, with a moment of candy sweetness. Hop character is distinctly herbal, a little lemony too, along with cereal corn flavors which bring some cooked cream corn notes and a sweetness that lingers well past the finish, which is quite clean with some watery floral flavors.

Simply put: This is a great example of the style, especially as most are pretty damn offensive. Unlike traditional malt liquors that come in 40s and tend to lack in depth of flavor and focus on bang for your buck (aka, how quick it gets you buzzed), Dad's proves that you can have a malt liquor with kick and flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I've searched far and wide for this, but I only found a few in 4 months of searching and now I'm on the last one. The color is orange in color, slightly lighter than an orange peel and a slim amount of head. Smell and taste are sweet almost sugary, with a faint and i mean faint taste of butterscotch, and the mouth feel is creamy, which i think is the only true thing the this delicious craft malt liquor has with its mass produced 40oz brethren.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Since the moment I saw this beer, It was something that I had to try. A beer called "Dads Little Helper Malt Liquor" gave you an interesting and mysterious introduction about what this beer could be. Excellent appearance, orange color, almost a dense feeling going around. Notes of everywhere, leaving a trace all over the glass. A sour and sugary smell, like candy with salt, something different difficult to catch for me. The taste took me to some saison beers, i dont know why, but this taste is magnificient. nice ending, not too sweet. Alcohol balance. A fruit flavor predominant, with some citrus like orange and lemon. The mouthfeel left you a sticky ending, but also very smooth.
An excellent beer that I would look for sure the next time. Excellent piece of work by Rogue.

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Drab American domestic looking, leaning towards the bronze side of things. Body has a lot of activity with many different streams of bubbles cruising to the surface. Head is thin and fizzy, but does eventually settle down to a decent white film across the top.

S: Pear, green banana peels, coins, sour grains and stale bread.

T: Starts plain and unassuming, with standard grain flavors and simple pilsner hops. A delicate sweetness begins to come through…much like honeydew melon, nectar and white corn. Just a little bit of coin flavors, but most of the sweet grains really smooth it out.

M: Medium body, smooth…borderline silky.

D: First sip I was totally unimpressed with this beer. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. This beer isn’t a deep or complex beer, but then again I don’t suppose they are trying to sell you on that. Its got remarkable drinkability and an easygoing aspect to it. I would recommend this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Really enjoyed this. It was a surprise. This poured with a thick head into my standard pint glass. It is definitely malt liquor, but I would hesitate to call it that. It was remiscent of Don de Dieu from Unibroue to me for some reason.

Great beer for an evening watching movies and hanging out.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

clear golden color with a medium sized white head and horizontal, slug trail and spotty lacing. yep... all three.

it lacks a 'stink' or any aromas typical to the cheap stuff. sweet aroma... sweet corn, cinnamon, grain, red apple and a faint yeasty note.

it's mildly sweet on the palate (though low for a typical ML). flavors of grain, metal, dry grass, a bit of spice, a mild savory yeast note, apples and grapes with a hoppy, spicy and dry finish. there's a faint floral touch and slight hint at the abv% as it warms (what ML should be consumed warm?). medium body with a smooth mouth feel and lack of any stickiness.

very clean and well done with no chemical flavors in sight. almost too nice to call malt likka???...

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

appearance: The pour produces a low, off white head that soon recedes to just a ring around the glass. The beer is golden in color.

smell: Sulfuric and sweet corn aromas upfront. Light pale grain. Pilsner type noble hop smell and light, appley fruit aromas. Just a touch of ethanol actually adds to the depth of the nose. Just a little more strength to the aroma, I could've given a 4.5.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body medium-light to medium.

taste: Sweet pale grain and corn flavors upfront. A couple off flavors normally associated in my mind with malt liquor that I can't quite describe. Light hop flavor and bitterness. Just a touch of ethanol

drinkability: cake for a malt

Second only to Liquor de Malt. I'd like to see a little more strength of smell and taste.

650ml bottle poured into pint glass june27 2010

A slightly hazy pale golden with decent carbonation feeding a fingers worth of head that quickly fell to a 1/4 film that left a few patches of lace

S corn flakes, sweet grains and some booze, pretty good for malt liquor

T not far from the smell but with some hops and even more cereal

M a little thin but well carbonated

D all things considered this is one easy drinking malt liquor, all I'm missing is a paper bag

keep in mind I'm rating for style here and that being said perhaps I'm being a little hard on this one it's a good malt liquor. It's hard to give high marks to a beer that's not what you would drink by choice all that often. I think this is hard for all BA's seeing how the bottom few on the top 10 malt liquor list have a C- average

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

22oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a crystal-clear yellow body with virtually no head to speak of. Smell is anything but strong, but hints at cooked corn, grain, and a small bit of alcohol. Actually tastes good - baker's cocoa and caramel take their place with husky grain, cooked corn, and just a hint of the alcohol. Light bodied as expected, with moderate to full carbonation. All-in-all, not a bad beer. Not something I'd get all the time, but for the style, it's definitely one of the better ones (though not quite as good as DFH Liquor de Malt IMO) - reminds me of a tastier better-made version of Steel Reserve.

Single, bomber bottle just copped from Gary's in Madison for $4.49...
A hefty pour yielded a medium-to-dark golden hue with a modest head that quickly dissipated and deposited a thin film of lacing around the edge of the serving glass...
A majority of Rogue brews are top-notch, so I was pretty curious to sample their offbeat Malt Liquor...
Overall, not a bad depiction of a fairly mediocore and undesirable style...
Sweet, malty aroma with slight hints of honey and sugars...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, with an ultra-sweet, slightly cloying flavor that was all-in-all well balanced for a malt liquor...
Good mouthfeel with a decent level of drinkability... Curious to know what the ABV on this one is...
Worth a try...

This review is based on the "American Malt Liquor" style. That being said, I think this takes the cake for the best malt lickra I've ever had. Let it be known that I was somewhat of a connoisseur of this style at one time in my life. It is a dirty sort of yellow. Not quite golden. A small bubbly white head emerged to cap off the glass but alas it fell away without hesitation in true malt lickra fashion. Lace? No. This is malt lickra. The nose holds some character. It is a bit corn syrupy. The Czech pils yeast almost creates an atmosphere that makes this thing smell a bit too classy. Almost. It seems to have a faintly spicy nutmeg aroma that mingles in with a dry grassiness. It reminds me of the Atwater Block house character for some reason or another. The taste is a bit punchy with alcoholic raw malt lickra intensity. At least that is what my dad thought when we split his bottle. I am relatively unphased by alcoholic impression unless the brew is an extreme one. This is still fairly mild and unintrusive according to my palate. I can feel it going to me brain however. This is really a nice little brew. The mouthfeel is light enough keep this thing drinkable and just thick enough to let you know that it is not exactly a light hearted concoction. Naysayers be damned. If this ain't a good offering for the style what is? I'll bet if this was called an "Imperial Pilsner," it would get better marks. Fight negative stereotypes and vote with your heart. Make the world a better place. Remember that bums from the alley would have to pan handle four times as long to score this one. Plus, it isn't even a forty ouncer. Maybe then, the beer snob in you will give this fine malt lickra some props.

Rogue is on to something here. I think it is great that they and other small breweries are taking something the Macro brews have been doing with no soul, and showing that aroma, flavor, body can be present in a "malt liquor."

A: Deep golden hue, with hints of copper, was expecting something lighter. Nice head, fairly creamy in appearance.
S: An fairly strong aroma. Malt is certainly present, along with corn and perhaps rice. Pretty sweet, with a hint of alcohol, was expecting a bit more though being this is a malt liquor.
T: Very nice, refreshing actually. Malt and corn upfront, followed by a bit of sweetness and a alcohol kick. Just the right amount.
M: Just what you would expect, pretty light. I found this to have a round mouth-feel that you don't' get from the macro versions. Perhaps I was not concerned with such characteristics in my younger years.
D: Very drinkable. I could easily drink this often. Don't think I would go as far as saying they should offer a 40oz, but could drink a 6 pack over the course of an evening. Does not need anymore alcohol in my opinion.

Dad's Little Helper pours a very light copper color with a thin white head. A little bit of corn in the aroma, but certainly not a typical nasty malt liquor smell. The taste is definitely to style. This tastes like a malt liquor, corn predominates. But some hops are noticeable in the finish, much more so than a typical malt liquor. I give it nine out of ten swills. Worth a try if only for the novelty factor.

For a malt liquor you really are not going to get anything better taste wise from one. Even though i paid 4 bucks for a 22 oz, I felt like i was totally satisfied being that i have had my fair share of malt liquors. It has that classic golden malt liquor color, not any different from Kobra or Colt. This is a very smooth ride just like most rogue brews, but not much going on in this one other than malts. All I really have to say is for the price its worth the try at least. I would rather have their other brews but not a disappointment in the least bit. I just kind of picked it up for a nostalgic kind of thing. Most people would be satisfied i think.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought this beer in Indianpolis tonight! Parti pak liquors in Greenwood, so it must be some of the last get it while you can

22 oz into my new heavy glass mug

A: nice golden color with a 3 finger white head. good head retention and bit of the head stick all the way down.

S: Fresh clover and grains with a hint of malts.

T: Clover and beeswax again from the hops. the malts are overtaken by the hops but thats not a bad thing. Tastes like someone put a 90 minute pale ale in my Mickeys! Birdie num num!

D: Rather bright and fruity from the hoppiness, but it goes down good and its flavor grow as it warms. Drink away boys!

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

I thought it was funny by the label from Rouge so I had to get it. I a not a big fan of malt liquor but hey you only live once. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: There is a nice one finger white head that has some retention to it. The body of the beer is medium straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is slightly hazy.

Nose: A good amount of malt aroma with elements of bready yeast but not as strong as many malt liquors. The alcohol is prevalent in the beer. In the back ground there is a slight sweetness.

Taste: There is malt, a tame amount of the bready yeast. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. In the background of the beer there is a touch of sweetness.

Overall: The mouth fee is carbonated and creamy. The body of the beer is medium to medium thick and the finish is medium also. This is not a typical malt liquor you get in the 40's The beer is refined, but it still taste like a malt liquor.

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer pours a slightly hazy light straw colour, with two fingers of creamy, puffy white head, which leaves a paint-job of lace around the glass as it falls away. It smells of white cracker grain, grass, and a little skunk. The taste is white grain malt, with a bit of corn mealiness, grassy hops, and some relatively smooth warming alcohol. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, and only hinting at being cloying, and it finishes sweet, the mixed grains and mild booziness holding things together.

The malt liquor heritage definitely shines through, but everything seems fuller and more well rounded than every other example of the style I've had the misfortune of sampling - but I suppose that's the whole point.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales