Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Since the moment I saw this beer, It was something that I had to try. A beer called "Dads Little Helper Malt Liquor" gave you an interesting and mysterious introduction about what this beer could be. Excellent appearance, orange color, almost a dense feeling going around. Notes of everywhere, leaving a trace all over the glass. A sour and sugary smell, like candy with salt, something different difficult to catch for me. The taste took me to some saison beers, i dont know why, but this taste is magnificient. nice ending, not too sweet. Alcohol balance. A fruit flavor predominant, with some citrus like orange and lemon. The mouthfeel left you a sticky ending, but also very smooth.
An excellent beer that I would look for sure the next time. Excellent piece of work by Rogue. (781 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Drab American domestic looking, leaning towards the bronze side of things. Body has a lot of activity with many different streams of bubbles cruising to the surface. Head is thin and fizzy, but does eventually settle down to a decent white film across the top.

S: Pear, green banana peels, coins, sour grains and stale bread.

T: Starts plain and unassuming, with standard grain flavors and simple pilsner hops. A delicate sweetness begins to come through…much like honeydew melon, nectar and white corn. Just a little bit of coin flavors, but most of the sweet grains really smooth it out.

M: Medium body, smooth…borderline silky.

D: First sip I was totally unimpressed with this beer. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. This beer isn’t a deep or complex beer, but then again I don’t suppose they are trying to sell you on that. Its got remarkable drinkability and an easygoing aspect to it. I would recommend this beer. (943 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Really enjoyed this. It was a surprise. This poured with a thick head into my standard pint glass. It is definitely malt liquor, but I would hesitate to call it that. It was remiscent of Don de Dieu from Unibroue to me for some reason.

Great beer for an evening watching movies and hanging out. (295 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +22%

clear golden color with a medium sized white head and horizontal, slug trail and spotty lacing. yep... all three.

it lacks a 'stink' or any aromas typical to the cheap stuff. sweet aroma... sweet corn, cinnamon, grain, red apple and a faint yeasty note.

it's mildly sweet on the palate (though low for a typical ML). flavors of grain, metal, dry grass, a bit of spice, a mild savory yeast note, apples and grapes with a hoppy, spicy and dry finish. there's a faint floral touch and slight hint at the abv% as it warms (what ML should be consumed warm?). medium body with a smooth mouth feel and lack of any stickiness.

very clean and well done with no chemical flavors in sight. almost too nice to call malt likka???...
8/4/8/5/17/4.2 (739 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

appearance: The pour produces a low, off white head that soon recedes to just a ring around the glass. The beer is golden in color.

smell: Sulfuric and sweet corn aromas upfront. Light pale grain. Pilsner type noble hop smell and light, appley fruit aromas. Just a touch of ethanol actually adds to the depth of the nose. Just a little more strength to the aroma, I could've given a 4.5.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body medium-light to medium.

taste: Sweet pale grain and corn flavors upfront. A couple off flavors normally associated in my mind with malt liquor that I can't quite describe. Light hop flavor and bitterness. Just a touch of ethanol

drinkability: cake for a malt

Second only to Liquor de Malt. I'd like to see a little more strength of smell and taste. (810 characters)

650ml bottle poured into pint glass june27 2010

A slightly hazy pale golden with decent carbonation feeding a fingers worth of head that quickly fell to a 1/4 film that left a few patches of lace

S corn flakes, sweet grains and some booze, pretty good for malt liquor

T not far from the smell but with some hops and even more cereal

M a little thin but well carbonated

D all things considered this is one easy drinking malt liquor, all I'm missing is a paper bag

keep in mind I'm rating for style here and that being said perhaps I'm being a little hard on this one it's a good malt liquor. It's hard to give high marks to a beer that's not what you would drink by choice all that often. I think this is hard for all BA's seeing how the bottom few on the top 10 malt liquor list have a C- average (804 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

22oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a crystal-clear yellow body with virtually no head to speak of. Smell is anything but strong, but hints at cooked corn, grain, and a small bit of alcohol. Actually tastes good - baker's cocoa and caramel take their place with husky grain, cooked corn, and just a hint of the alcohol. Light bodied as expected, with moderate to full carbonation. All-in-all, not a bad beer. Not something I'd get all the time, but for the style, it's definitely one of the better ones (though not quite as good as DFH Liquor de Malt IMO) - reminds me of a tastier better-made version of Steel Reserve. (640 characters)

Single, bomber bottle just copped from Gary's in Madison for $4.49...
A hefty pour yielded a medium-to-dark golden hue with a modest head that quickly dissipated and deposited a thin film of lacing around the edge of the serving glass...
A majority of Rogue brews are top-notch, so I was pretty curious to sample their offbeat Malt Liquor...
Overall, not a bad depiction of a fairly mediocore and undesirable style...
Sweet, malty aroma with slight hints of honey and sugars...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, with an ultra-sweet, slightly cloying flavor that was all-in-all well balanced for a malt liquor...
Good mouthfeel with a decent level of drinkability... Curious to know what the ABV on this one is...
Worth a try... (732 characters)

This review is based on the "American Malt Liquor" style. That being said, I think this takes the cake for the best malt lickra I've ever had. Let it be known that I was somewhat of a connoisseur of this style at one time in my life. It is a dirty sort of yellow. Not quite golden. A small bubbly white head emerged to cap off the glass but alas it fell away without hesitation in true malt lickra fashion. Lace? No. This is malt lickra. The nose holds some character. It is a bit corn syrupy. The Czech pils yeast almost creates an atmosphere that makes this thing smell a bit too classy. Almost. It seems to have a faintly spicy nutmeg aroma that mingles in with a dry grassiness. It reminds me of the Atwater Block house character for some reason or another. The taste is a bit punchy with alcoholic raw malt lickra intensity. At least that is what my dad thought when we split his bottle. I am relatively unphased by alcoholic impression unless the brew is an extreme one. This is still fairly mild and unintrusive according to my palate. I can feel it going to me brain however. This is really a nice little brew. The mouthfeel is light enough keep this thing drinkable and just thick enough to let you know that it is not exactly a light hearted concoction. Naysayers be damned. If this ain't a good offering for the style what is? I'll bet if this was called an "Imperial Pilsner," it would get better marks. Fight negative stereotypes and vote with your heart. Make the world a better place. Remember that bums from the alley would have to pan handle four times as long to score this one. Plus, it isn't even a forty ouncer. Maybe then, the beer snob in you will give this fine malt lickra some props. (1,709 characters)

Rogue is on to something here. I think it is great that they and other small breweries are taking something the Macro brews have been doing with no soul, and showing that aroma, flavor, body can be present in a "malt liquor."

A: Deep golden hue, with hints of copper, was expecting something lighter. Nice head, fairly creamy in appearance.
S: An fairly strong aroma. Malt is certainly present, along with corn and perhaps rice. Pretty sweet, with a hint of alcohol, was expecting a bit more though being this is a malt liquor.
T: Very nice, refreshing actually. Malt and corn upfront, followed by a bit of sweetness and a alcohol kick. Just the right amount.
M: Just what you would expect, pretty light. I found this to have a round mouth-feel that you don't' get from the macro versions. Perhaps I was not concerned with such characteristics in my younger years.
D: Very drinkable. I could easily drink this often. Don't think I would go as far as saying they should offer a 40oz, but could drink a 6 pack over the course of an evening. Does not need anymore alcohol in my opinion. (1,085 characters)

Dad's Little Helper pours a very light copper color with a thin white head. A little bit of corn in the aroma, but certainly not a typical nasty malt liquor smell. The taste is definitely to style. This tastes like a malt liquor, corn predominates. But some hops are noticeable in the finish, much more so than a typical malt liquor. I give it nine out of ten swills. Worth a try if only for the novelty factor. (411 characters)

For a malt liquor you really are not going to get anything better taste wise from one. Even though i paid 4 bucks for a 22 oz, I felt like i was totally satisfied being that i have had my fair share of malt liquors. It has that classic golden malt liquor color, not any different from Kobra or Colt. This is a very smooth ride just like most rogue brews, but not much going on in this one other than malts. All I really have to say is for the price its worth the try at least. I would rather have their other brews but not a disappointment in the least bit. I just kind of picked it up for a nostalgic kind of thing. Most people would be satisfied i think. (656 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought this beer in Indianpolis tonight! Parti pak liquors in Greenwood, so it must be some of the last get it while you can

22 oz into my new heavy glass mug

A: nice golden color with a 3 finger white head. good head retention and bit of the head stick all the way down.

S: Fresh clover and grains with a hint of malts.

T: Clover and beeswax again from the hops. the malts are overtaken by the hops but thats not a bad thing. Tastes like someone put a 90 minute pale ale in my Mickeys! Birdie num num!

D: Rather bright and fruity from the hoppiness, but it goes down good and its flavor grow as it warms. Drink away boys! (629 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

I thought it was funny by the label from Rouge so I had to get it. I a not a big fan of malt liquor but hey you only live once. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: There is a nice one finger white head that has some retention to it. The body of the beer is medium straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is slightly hazy.

Nose: A good amount of malt aroma with elements of bready yeast but not as strong as many malt liquors. The alcohol is prevalent in the beer. In the back ground there is a slight sweetness.

Taste: There is malt, a tame amount of the bready yeast. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. In the background of the beer there is a touch of sweetness.

Overall: The mouth fee is carbonated and creamy. The body of the beer is medium to medium thick and the finish is medium also. This is not a typical malt liquor you get in the 40's The beer is refined, but it still taste like a malt liquor. (979 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer pours a slightly hazy light straw colour, with two fingers of creamy, puffy white head, which leaves a paint-job of lace around the glass as it falls away. It smells of white cracker grain, grass, and a little skunk. The taste is white grain malt, with a bit of corn mealiness, grassy hops, and some relatively smooth warming alcohol. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, and only hinting at being cloying, and it finishes sweet, the mixed grains and mild booziness holding things together.

The malt liquor heritage definitely shines through, but everything seems fuller and more well rounded than every other example of the style I've had the misfortune of sampling - but I suppose that's the whole point. (726 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +17%

Pours a clear, deep golden color with a fizzy white ehad that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of sweet grain and corn with some musty hops.

Tastes of sweet grains and light hops. Sticky sweet malts give way to a corn flavor. Hops are very much in the background, but add an earthiness to the mix.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of cabronation. (354 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +17%

A: pours yellow with an oddly long lasting frothy white head, that actually left some lacing, a surprise for malt liquor.
S: pale malt sweetness, just a bit of corn, doesn't have the cooked corn and harshness that its other mass produced cousins have.
T: within style its amazingly good. sweet pale malt, a bit of sweet corn and not harsh aftertaste or fuel like alcohol. also doesn't taste horrid after it warms up a little!
M: strangely thick in a way compare to other malt liquors. carbonation is in the medium range.
D: the most drinkable malt liquor ive ever had. (571 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

22oz bottle, poured a sample into a tasting glass to grade color and appearance, but drank the way it should be : out of a paper bag.

A - Pours a clear light gold with a thin white head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a slight whisp of haze.
S - Sweet corn and malt, with a bit of cider character and honey. Surprisingly clean and crisp smelling.
T - More corn and malt with a bit of solvent-y alcohol and a slightly bitter hop finish. Not the greatest thing in the world, but compared to other Malt Liquors it's outstanding.
M - Surprisingly full-bodied for the style, probably medium-full overall. The carbonation is a bit low for what I'd like, would love to see this be a bit "fizzier".
D - Y'know I really enjoyed this, it was a good beer but an even better experiment and example of how to do a good Malt Liquor. Kudos to Rogue! (841 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to Enola for sharing his bomber.
Mostly pale gold with some hints of amber. Decent 1/2" off white head with moderate retention. Spotty lacing.
Smells kind of like a mild pale ale. There's noticable bitterness in the nose. Not hoppy bitterness though. Just bitter.
Over a nice malt backbone I get the flavors of alcohol, corn, and could it be....hops? Mostly you taste the malts which is the way it's supposed to be.
Light to medium bodied
This is nothing like any other malt liquer I've had. For a malt liquer it's very good. As an over all beverage I recommend it when you want something a little different. (620 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

No date on bottle but that's OK. Served in a Rogue shaker pint glass (why not). Beer is yellow and clear. Forms a big white head of small and medium bubbles that falls away leaving a little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate with tiny bubbles. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Not much going on there. Smells OK.

Nice, medium body clean. Very nice. Sweetness up front, great feeling on the palate. I really like this beer. I have a soft spot for big lagers. Drinkability high and mouthfeel good. I would recommend it for either the pedestrian or serious beer drinker. (585 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

22oz bomber poured into a pint.

Pale golden color, crystal clear. One finger white foamy head goes away quickly and barely leaves a film.

I let this warm up nicely and the smell nearly knocked me over when I first leaned in. Strong and sweet smelling. Smells of sweet corn. Maybe just a touch of caramel. The alcohol burns the inside of my nose.

The flavor is very buttery. Buttered sweet corn. The taste starts off very buttery before the sweetness hits you, just for a split second, and then finishes buttery again. Hops provide just a touch of spice throughout, but this is not hoppy.

This is medium bodied and a little oily on the palate.

I haven't had a malt liquor in ten years and I can't remember how they tasted, but this malt liquor isn't bad. It's very smooth. (789 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

A: A clear gold color with a thick white head that laces the glass.

S: Sweet grainy alcohol aroma with some fruity esters.

T: A corn and grain flavor with mixed with alcohol and sweet esters. A touch of hop in the finish.

M: A heavier body with good carbonation.

O: I typically don't drink malt liquor, but this isn't too bad. (330 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain. (888 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer! (2,380 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger headw ith a nice orange amber color. Retention is fair and the head fades fairly quickly.

Smells like pale malt with slight citrusy and floral undertones.

Taste is sweet. It's somewhat like cookie dough and I almost want to say that I detct a little nutmeg.

Somewhat crisp and clings well.

Easy to drink and make a session out of. A good summer time beer. (380 characters)

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales