Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +17%

Pours a clear, deep golden color with a fizzy white ehad that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of sweet grain and corn with some musty hops.

Tastes of sweet grains and light hops. Sticky sweet malts give way to a corn flavor. Hops are very much in the background, but add an earthiness to the mix.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of cabronation. (354 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +17%

A: pours yellow with an oddly long lasting frothy white head, that actually left some lacing, a surprise for malt liquor.
S: pale malt sweetness, just a bit of corn, doesn't have the cooked corn and harshness that its other mass produced cousins have.
T: within style its amazingly good. sweet pale malt, a bit of sweet corn and not harsh aftertaste or fuel like alcohol. also doesn't taste horrid after it warms up a little!
M: strangely thick in a way compare to other malt liquors. carbonation is in the medium range.
D: the most drinkable malt liquor ive ever had. (571 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

22oz bottle, poured a sample into a tasting glass to grade color and appearance, but drank the way it should be : out of a paper bag.

A - Pours a clear light gold with a thin white head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a slight whisp of haze.
S - Sweet corn and malt, with a bit of cider character and honey. Surprisingly clean and crisp smelling.
T - More corn and malt with a bit of solvent-y alcohol and a slightly bitter hop finish. Not the greatest thing in the world, but compared to other Malt Liquors it's outstanding.
M - Surprisingly full-bodied for the style, probably medium-full overall. The carbonation is a bit low for what I'd like, would love to see this be a bit "fizzier".
D - Y'know I really enjoyed this, it was a good beer but an even better experiment and example of how to do a good Malt Liquor. Kudos to Rogue! (841 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to Enola for sharing his bomber.
Mostly pale gold with some hints of amber. Decent 1/2" off white head with moderate retention. Spotty lacing.
Smells kind of like a mild pale ale. There's noticable bitterness in the nose. Not hoppy bitterness though. Just bitter.
Over a nice malt backbone I get the flavors of alcohol, corn, and could it be....hops? Mostly you taste the malts which is the way it's supposed to be.
Light to medium bodied
This is nothing like any other malt liquer I've had. For a malt liquer it's very good. As an over all beverage I recommend it when you want something a little different. (620 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

No date on bottle but that's OK. Served in a Rogue shaker pint glass (why not). Beer is yellow and clear. Forms a big white head of small and medium bubbles that falls away leaving a little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate with tiny bubbles. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Not much going on there. Smells OK.

Nice, medium body clean. Very nice. Sweetness up front, great feeling on the palate. I really like this beer. I have a soft spot for big lagers. Drinkability high and mouthfeel good. I would recommend it for either the pedestrian or serious beer drinker. (585 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

22oz bomber poured into a pint.

Pale golden color, crystal clear. One finger white foamy head goes away quickly and barely leaves a film.

I let this warm up nicely and the smell nearly knocked me over when I first leaned in. Strong and sweet smelling. Smells of sweet corn. Maybe just a touch of caramel. The alcohol burns the inside of my nose.

The flavor is very buttery. Buttered sweet corn. The taste starts off very buttery before the sweetness hits you, just for a split second, and then finishes buttery again. Hops provide just a touch of spice throughout, but this is not hoppy.

This is medium bodied and a little oily on the palate.

I haven't had a malt liquor in ten years and I can't remember how they tasted, but this malt liquor isn't bad. It's very smooth. (789 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

A: A clear gold color with a thick white head that laces the glass.

S: Sweet grainy alcohol aroma with some fruity esters.

T: A corn and grain flavor with mixed with alcohol and sweet esters. A touch of hop in the finish.

M: A heavier body with good carbonation.

O: I typically don't drink malt liquor, but this isn't too bad. (330 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain. (888 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer! (2,380 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger headw ith a nice orange amber color. Retention is fair and the head fades fairly quickly.

Smells like pale malt with slight citrusy and floral undertones.

Taste is sweet. It's somewhat like cookie dough and I almost want to say that I detct a little nutmeg.

Somewhat crisp and clings well.

Easy to drink and make a session out of. A good summer time beer. (380 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Found this in Indianapolis for a very competitive $2.99. Oh wait, I suppose its not that competitive when you consider how much more malt liquor you'd get for so much cheaper if you were going, say, Colt 45 stylee.

Pretty true-to-style ugly, including the label. Cheap trick reference? No real head and a smidge of lacing.

Nose is pretty bland, creamy malts and an interesting cinnamon-like spice bite.

Wow, I actually really like the flavor of this beer. The flaked corn reminds me of some bad beers I like, and the smoothness and overall cleanliness of the package is quite appealing. Goes down super-duper smooth.

While quite gimmick-y, i'm liking the craft-brewed malt liquors. I'd really like to see a hoppy variety. Remember, adjuncts aren't necessarily evil. Its in the way that you use it (them). I'd have this again, especially at $3. (856 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale, clear yellow. 1-2 finger soda-pop head appears and disappears quickly to nothing, but there is actually some minimal lacing.

S - Corn, steamed vegetables, and old socks. Grainy and citrusy enough to set it apart from most American macros.

T - For malt liquor, this is fucking fantastic. Corn/cereal grain upfront with a slightly sweet component near the finish. Slight citrus late palate, making this brew a little interesting. Since the ABV isn't on the bottle or listed here, but it is a malt liquor, I can assume the ABV is a little on the high side, and if so, it's well hidden.

M - Highly carbonated and thin, but not too watery. What's remarkable is that it actually holds it's carbonation once poured into a glass. It's more than obvious that most cheaper beers, especially malt liquor, were designed to be drunk from the bottle where the bottle shape itself can contain the CO2. Rouge holds it's own.

D - I wouldn't mind sipping on this all night, especially after having a few bigger beers.

Compared to most malt liquor, this stuff is wonderful; it even surpasses most American macros in taste. I might even buy this stuff again. (1,202 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Very malt liquory, dark gold, lots of carbonation beneath a small white head.

Smell: Light corn and grain, not much, but not terrible.

Taste: I could guess that this is about as good as a malt liquor can get. Still corny and alcoholic, but does have an actual hop presence, and a better finish than most Malt. Not bad.

Drinkability: Probably the best a malt liquor can be, doesn't go overboard with corniness and alcohol, and is alright to drink. Interesting. (480 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Hazy yellow color with a nice head of white foam that billows above the beer. Medium level of carbonation. No lace.

S: Wow. No heavy alcohol or rotten grain stink. Aromas of rich malt and yeast with a biscuit backbone. Nice. I must say, quite impressed.

T: Double Wow. Sweet yet not sickly corn flavors, bready malts, a light earthy husk and grain quality. Come on, is this really a malt liquor?

M: Slightly syrupy and dense, little carbonation is noted on the tongue.

D: For a malt liquor, this is amazingly drinkable. I'd come back to it in a minute. Hands down, the best malt liquor i've ever had, and likely will ever have.

Notes: Had to go to OH to find it, but it was worth it. (702 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a pint glass, served around 45 degrees

A: light golden brown, minimal head retention and no lacing to speak of

S: light aroma of malt and corn, no other notes to speak of

T: Sweet and malty with no noticeable hop presence

M: Lightly carbonated and smooth, as is characteristic of the style

D: Goes down easy, nothing spectacular jumps out at you, just a nice smooth beer. I have to admit, beer snob that I usually am, I have a soft spot for cheap malt liquors, and this tastes like everything I like about Mickey's with the quality improved to the point that it warrants the Rogue name. I expected a Rogue-quality malt liquor, and I got a Rogue-quality malt liquor (681 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Perhaps this beer is comming out of retirement. Enjoyed on tap at the Brewer's Jam, Knoxville TN. Labled as a malt liquor, the beer seems to elude any detremental adjunct flavors or effects. The aromas are a rich of pilsner malts with a light vegetal note, but no sulfery character. A sharp hop note (not sure if it's completely American) along with some apple fruitiness round out the nose. The flavors are quite sweet with clean pilsner flavors and a mild, pleasant cider flavor. Seems to be sweetened with honey. The feel is heavy and a bit of a syrup, oily texture. Finishes with a sweet alchol note and again, a light vegetable (corn flavor). It's a good beer that tastes more similarly to a high-gravity Pilsner, rather than a Malt Liquor. (745 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a slightly orangish yellow with a descent white head...good for a malt liquor. The aroma has a strong corn syrup sweetness, along with some biscuity malt, slight noble hops character, and alcohol. The flavor also has a strong corn syrup presence, along with some biscuity malt, fruity esters, slight spicy hops, and alcohol. The mouthfeel is somewhat thick, and carbonation is medium. This is definately a solid malt liquor, worlds better than OE or Colt. (461 characters)

Review adapted from notes taken 4/3/11

Appearance: Golden orange, pours a bit cloudy with a thin head, some lacing

Smell: Sweet malts and corn, a lot of cereal - lacks the fusel alcohol stink that most malt liquors emit, which is a nice surprise - ultimately, boring but not bad

Taste: Surprisingly good - lots of corn, but also lots of sweet caramel and pale malts - kind of grainy - kind of spicy, which is a nice surprise - kind of tastes like a sweet bread with corn

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth - could be a bit more crisp

Overall: Easily the best malt liquor I've ever had

All of the easily unlikable things about malt liquor - the nasty sweetness, the overall feeling of grossness - are absent from this beer. According to my notes, "doesn't have that solvent alcohol butthole flavor." I guess that sums it up. I wish more breweries did this. (878 characters)

From bomber to pint

A: Pretty much looks like your standard issue macro-lager, but I'll try to be descriptive. Clear, yellow-orange, lots of loose carbonation, the head dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing

N: Chalky malts, slightly earthy hop-spice, sweetbread, maybe squah

T: You're immediately met with the sweetbread flavors, like cornbread but light on the cornmeal, a touch of spice suggesting paprika, balanced

M: A fairly slick brew, this one. More oily than expected

D: This brew's not the most complex, but the flavors are seamlessly balanced. I haven't had a '40' in a long time, but I don't remember them tasting this good and I'm much more of a snob now. It makes you wonder how much of an effect marketing had on this style of beer. Why worry about quality, when you can simply brand and associate the beer with masculine independence?

Now watch the malt liquor's piss-yellow hue turn green. (918 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

1 Pint 6 Oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy golden yellow with a thin white head.

S - Sweet and malty. Very faint.

T - Sweet wheat and malt flavors. Crisp and clean.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I feel like I should pour this into a 40 and drink it out of a brown paper bag. Really good though. (329 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $4.99. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear fizzy golden yellow coloration. The head was thin and off white. The head had little staying power. No lacing to speak of on the glass.

Smell: The beer smells of malty corn bread. The alcohol and the yeast produce a bit of spicyness. The hops may also add to spicyness; however, I dont think the hops are all that involved.

Taste: The beer continues to deliver the malted corn bread experience in the taste. The beer has a bit of spicyness at the end. I am not really clear if it is hops or yeast. The beer has no off flavors. This didnt get better warmer but didnt get gross.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer has a big old smooth malty mouthfeel. The beer has a big body. The beer is well carbonated and easy to drink. The beer was even ok as it warmed up. The novelty of upscale malt liquor is enough to purchase and try this once; however, I will not be purchasing this beer again. (1,019 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

The beer pours a gold color with a thin white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a clean malty aroma with no hops and a bit of sweetness. The taste is good. It has a smooth pale malt and adjunct flavor that goes down easy and finishes crisp and clean. There is little complexity, but the overall flavor is pretty good. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good tasting malt liquor. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. (530 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a nice dark yellow color with great initial head, a fair amount of carbonation, and just a bit of quickly-desolving lacing. Nice scent, very sweet and malty, if a little weak. Great taste for the style, very smooth and great malt flavors, without being too overbalanced. It goes down pretty nice, not the best Rogue beer, but probably one of the best malt liquor beers I've ever had (which fortunately is few). (417 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up this 22oz bottle at Albertsons to have after my steak and potatoes dinner. Pours into my mug a crystal clear golden color, creamy billowing off white head with heavy lacing. Smell is very fruity sweet, some green apple notes coming first to mind. Taste is very sweet, again with some apple sweet malt flavor, negligeable hop presence. Mouthfeel is very sticky, finish is moister than i was expecting. Not my favorite Rogue offering, but certainly enjoyable, and knocks the pants off any other mass market Malt Liquor. I'd love to see Rogue bottle this in the traditional 40oz bottle, just for grins =) (611 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

A cool take on a maligned style ( maligned for a reason). Pours dark gold , big head and a yeasty almost corn like smell. The beer is best ice cold with a complex lager flavour coming off almost Belgian at times. The corn part seems to come out in the finish but it was makes the beer interesting rather than detract. As the beer warms up some more hops nuances show up but the crispness also disapears too. I like this beer because it is unique for Rogue and is fun to drink ( drink one while watching Nascar). (511 characters)

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales