Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 335 | Reviews: 269

1.14/5  rDev -66.1%

Truly horrendous, probably the worst I've ever had from Rogue. I have to imagine this is something that they do only because they can get away with it, due to making so much other fantastic beer. They should have sold this one only in the Rogue Public Houses for fun, or as the gimmick it is in bombers for $1 apiece, but it's an embarrassment at $4. Disgusting.

Visual: urine yellow, with little head and no lacing.

Aroma: corn nastiness, cooked vegetables, and little else.

Taste: more cooked vegetables, thin, acrid, and acidic. Disgusting.

Mouth: thin, moderately highly carbonated.

Seriously: this stuff is repulsive, and I'm pissed off that we paid $4 for it. We drainpoured about 75% of the bottle.

1.68/5  rDev -50%

I don't have any idea how this beer received a B-. It was indistinguishable from what I remember any other malt liquor beer ever tasted like.

I think there were some sympathy ratings here. Rouge should discontinue this as it is the black sheep of their family of beers.

1.91/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance: Pours a bright, clear yellow body with a creamy white head.

Smell: Aroma of cooked corn with a single pat of butter. There's some faint, nearly indiscernible hops in the scent, but you gotta sniff past alot of corn to find them.

Taste: Sweet and grainy, with a heaping ladle of cafeteria corn niblets and a dash of 99 Bananas. Light hop bitterness on the altogether weak finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Softly carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer's a gag in every sense of the word! ... This IS a gag beer, right?

2.05/5  rDev -39%

22 oz bomber. Aroma is sweet, but it has a spritzy fruit-like sweetness rather than the expected corn syrup or malt sweetness. Body is a murky brown yellow and holds a lazy dime thin white head that quickly fades. Fore is bitter and very much the way I remember malt liquor tasting...stale and sickly sweet, with some mild corn notes. I appreciate the effort, but this just flat does not taste good at all.

2.05/5  rDev -39%

This was purchased more for the novelty than anything else. I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. The beer poured a light gold color with almost no head and very little carbonation. Aroma was similar to most macros, some light malt smell with a good bit of corn/vegetable mixed in. Taste was very light as well with the typical corn adjunct flavor, some malt and a barely perceptable hop taste. Mouthfeel was very light and thin. This beer had very little flavor and was quite watery and spritzy tasting to me. This is not worth the 4.79 I paid. Oh well, maybe Liquor De Malt will be a better experience.

2.18/5  rDev -35.1%

I have to admit that I wouldnt't have given this beer a second look had it not been a) brewed by Rogue and b) had a great name.

I've had this beer twice and enjoyed it quite a bit more the first time. My taste in beer has changed quite a bit though even in the past six months, and while before I was into craft beer, now I'm REALLY into craft beer and my palate is much more picky.

Appearance is a hazy, opaque yellow with a greenish tint. Fizzy head which dissipates immediately.

Smell is probably this beer's weakest point, and most likely hard to avoid this being the case if staying true to style. Not being well versed in the deliciousness of adjuncts... I can't say if the corn used is at fault or otherwise.

The taste is not horrid, and is certainly better than most macros, but still not something I'd choose again. It may be that the second bottle I got is getting a bit long in the tooth but I found that it was fairly hard to finish. Something I'm not used to with Rogue beers. Again, probably still true to style though. Definite sweet fruit and a good amount of bready, sweet malt dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Leads to a long aftertaste, which is actually pretty pleasant.

Overall, a novelty beer. I commend Rogue on making a fine malt likka, but it's not really my thing. Would make a memorable father's day gift, obviously.

Peace,
B

2.25/5  rDev -33%

Poured as a orange-yellow clear liquid with white head that disappeared almost immediately (within seconds). Smell was of sweet buttered corn and not much else. Taste was of sweet buttered corn with a touch of alcohol. No hoppiness. No bitterness and might be a tad too sweet but really corny. Mouthfeel was a bit below average, finished sweet and had a semi-lingering corn aftertaste.

Drinkability is low. I won't be buying this beer again. I'd probably rather drink Budweiser than drink this one again but if there's nothing else, I'd drink this in a pinch.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours transparent yellow with white head. Malt liquor scent but nicer: toilet water with hops, (let's pretend I'm at Penn State.) Malt liquor taste but wetter, tarter, hoppier, and with residual sugar out the a$$. A sugary hangover-to-come beer equipped with malt extract and everything not craft. Don't waste your money just buy Olde English.

2.31/5  rDev -31.3%

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a soapy white head that recedes quickly.

S: This smells like a cheap white/sparkling wine. Very dry and cidery with lots of grape juice, peaches, apple juice, and definitely some significant alcohol contributions.

T: The flavor is pretty much the same as the nose, but sweeter. Apple cider with some white grape juice flavor. There's still that same cheap wine thing going on and a fair amount of alcohol.

M: The body is medium with the carbonation being a bit high at first before dying down.

D: For a "craft" malt liquor, this is pretty bad. I'd rather have any number of mass produced industrial malt liquors.

2.35/5  rDev -30.1%

Purchased a 22 oz. bomber in honor of father's day. I was sorry that I did.

Poured into my Yankee pint glass (subway series game).

A- Golden yellow- slight orange tint- no head whatsoever and absolutely no lacing. Was not a very pretty sight in my glass.

S- Smelled sweet and malty- some fuity scent- orange maybe?

T- Taste was of sugar and malts. A very faint hop presence- some grains. Alcohol detected- burned as I sipped this.

D- I can't see myself drinking this anytime soon. I may end up pouring the rest once I get through the glass.

A dissapointment from Rogue. Not recommended.

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

pours a nice peachy amber color with a thin, quickly receding head. Light carbonation.

Nose is full of brown sugar, wheat chaff, hints of cinammon.

Tastes syrupy and, and...can't quite put my finger on it. Like there's a really sweet, lemony vanilla cake that's put in your mouth and then taken out again before you can chew it. It feels watery and imbalanced, with no hops or malt to deal with the sweetness.

If I'd brewed it, I'd think "sweet, this is one of my better homebrews," but coming from Rogue I expect a lot more.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this up in Edmonton at the Sherbrooke Liquor Store, first time I'd seen it available locally.

I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but it really does pour out a dense, lustreless, and almost seedy looking flat apricot hue. Lazy carbonation, and a quick splash of head that fizzles out quickly. Still, true to style...

The aroma is cidery, sour grains and some sweetish corn. Not very enticing.

Well then, it's been a while since I've had a 40 dog of malt liquor, and if this is what a top microbrewey produces as their version of the style, then I know for sure that I haven't really been missing out. Still with the cidery, sour mash flavour motif, although a hint of buttery, bready malt far, far off in the background towards the finish. That lets me know that this was intentionally made to taste this way, as opposed to whatever the left over dregs from the main brewing vat end up tasting like regardless. The more I drink and the more it warms up, the more that backbone of real malt starts to appear, and even a little bit of hops. It tends to move farther away from a cidery nature, and more to one of a malt based beer, although the corn is still apparent in flavour and mouthfeel. It becomes somewhat drinkable.

The mouthfeel is still a few notches above the average macro, it seems watery at times, but has a fairly decent backbone to it. It may smell like it from time to time, but this isn't in the realm of swill, I'll give it that.

A curious interpretation of the style, points go to Rogue for flying lowbrow and attempting to produce a classy malt liquor. Still, for the price of it compared to what you get, I'd still buy a real 40 Dog of malt liquor for half the price, and if I'm at the point where I'm buying malt liquor, I'll be using it for the medicinal (aka "self-medicating") purposes that it was created for in the first place.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

This beer poured a crystal clear yellowish/golden body with a small white head that died somewhat quickly. Darker than your average macro.

Nose is very faint with only some slight sweet malt touches, some little hints of fruit and grass.

Taste is light to medium bodied with a predominant course, slightly bitter, cut grain malt taste. A huge carbonation releases this grain bitterness throughout. Not much in the way of flavor, simply a honey-like sticky sweetness, with big course malt liquor 6 row type husky malt, touches of grass and cooked vegetables. There's a mild metallic taste from start to finish. Very dry in the finish with a lingering bitterness.

Hmmm, it's an interesting malt liquor. It just has this grassy off-flavor that shines above the malt-liquor flavor in this. Although a nice idea it sort of misses the boat.

2.45/5  rDev -27.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep golden yellow color with a quickly disappearing fizzy white head. The aroma and taste are dominated by a cheap grainy malt flavor. Why Rogue would release this brew is beyond me. I pretty much enjoy all of their offerings except for this one. Not recommended.

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Straw colored liquid with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Kinda looks like a Michelob.

S - Smell is mainly sweet corn with a very light tinge of dirty hops. Tough to pick up much scent of this one.

T - Corn, a little alcohol, and the aftertaste of a cheap domestic (old mil, natty). Not much depth of flavor and not very pleasant. Served at 45 degrees, maybe should be colder.

M - A little bit slimy and pretty heavily carbonated. Nothing special but probably par for the course on a malt liquor.

D - Not very drinkable, bad taste and alcohol slow you down significantly. Like I said before, probably would go down smoother if it was colder. Decent alcohol kick on this one as it warms my belly a little bit.

Probably not worth another go for me.

2.48/5  rDev -26.2%

A-Clear golden color rising bubbles with a 1.5" snow white head.

S-Malty & Yeasty similar to a typical pils.

T-Sweet yeasty beginning rolling into a thick malted finish.

M-Very malt liquor typical.

D- It's a good everyday beer with no frills and priced at 5.99 for the bomber makes me ask myself...."why" would I purchase this beer again?

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.53/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear gold with a fleeting white dome that settles in as a collar.
Cereal grain nose, Corn Chex mostly, with a handful of Honey-Nut Cheerios, and a shot of grain alcohol.
Enters with a unprepossessing sense of grain. Vague and neutral, then it forays into honey and lingers there for a moment. Corn gradually comes out with warmth (and I poured this literally ice-cold, it's a fucking malt liquor, after all). Cloyingness follows the same arc- semi-clean upfront, then, uh, not so much. A bit of chalky yeast interplay fouls up a generally brisk lagered middle. There are some gritty, stale-seeming earthy hops, but then a bizarre and incongruent sense of vanilla and hazelnut flashes for a second before the dilute Moonshine-esque boozy closure.
Abrasively fizzy up front, then it settles and turns tackier.
Hard to call here. It's not a great beer, and while probably better than any gas-station tall can, it doesn't seem faithful enough to give it kitsch points.
At least Dogfish went balls-out with the actual 40oz bottle.

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%

No freshness date. Typical Rogue... Instead of drinking this malt liquor out of a brown bag, I decided to pour it into my Carlsberg pilsner glass. I had been saving this bottle for a while (for no good reason) but I was never sure what to expect. Malt liquor has never really been known as the picture of class and style, so seeing a talented brewery try to tackle this style of beer was intriguing. Listening to Interpol.

A: As I pour this beer into my glass, I am surprised by the lack of head build-up. I poured more vigorously, but that only helped a little. The finger-thick white head crackled away almost instantly, disappearing to nothing. I have seen better heads on most light beers. The body itself was surprisingly hazy. A deep golden color, and an abundant amount of active carbonation kept this beer from an "awful" rating.

S: Not a bad smell. It is actually very Rogue-esque. I can smell the alcohol, sitting right next to that corn smell. That is mixed with a sweet malty smell and a faint waft of Crystal hops. Tempting...

T: I would really like to know the ABV of this beer. Why does Rogue not say what the alcohol content is in their beers? I am not buying the excuse that they cannot control the alcohol levels of their beer (just what someone said to me once). Anyways, I am harping on this because the alcohol is very present in this beer. It almost dominates the taste. This is not well-balanced; the beer is entirely too bitter for this style. There is a lot of sugar left in the beer, and the gravity they list on the bottle is very high for a malt liquor. (17 P) The aftertaste is not very pleasant, coating the mouth with a medicinal taste.

M: Despite the taste, I cannot argue against the light bodied, highly carbonated mouthfeel. There is a wonderful warmth that comes from the alcohol, reminding me of those (good ol') days when people used to drink in order to get drunk.

D: The more I drink, the less I like it. I think it is excessive for a malt liquor. The alcohol is too much and that really brings the drinkability score down a bit. I say that it is a bad match for the malt liquor style. Good for a Maibock??

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

22 oz bomber. No freshness date noted.

Hazy golden with a creamy white head and spotty lace.

Aroma of sweet corn, grain, light brown sugar.

Flavor is sweet, malty, sugary, buttery, with a bit of hops on the finish.

Not bad for a sweet malt liquor, much better than the OE, Mickeys, Steel reserve that make up this genre.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales