Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -33.8%

I have to admit that I wouldnt't have given this beer a second look had it not been a) brewed by Rogue and b) had a great name.

I've had this beer twice and enjoyed it quite a bit more the first time. My taste in beer has changed quite a bit though even in the past six months, and while before I was into craft beer, now I'm REALLY into craft beer and my palate is much more picky.

Appearance is a hazy, opaque yellow with a greenish tint. Fizzy head which dissipates immediately.

Smell is probably this beer's weakest point, and most likely hard to avoid this being the case if staying true to style. Not being well versed in the deliciousness of adjuncts... I can't say if the corn used is at fault or otherwise.

The taste is not horrid, and is certainly better than most macros, but still not something I'd choose again. It may be that the second bottle I got is getting a bit long in the tooth but I found that it was fairly hard to finish. Something I'm not used to with Rogue beers. Again, probably still true to style though. Definite sweet fruit and a good amount of bready, sweet malt dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Leads to a long aftertaste, which is actually pretty pleasant.

Overall, a novelty beer. I commend Rogue on making a fine malt likka, but it's not really my thing. Would make a memorable father's day gift, obviously.

Peace,
B

johnbonham1980, Oct 22, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured as a orange-yellow clear liquid with white head that disappeared almost immediately (within seconds). Smell was of sweet buttered corn and not much else. Taste was of sweet buttered corn with a touch of alcohol. No hoppiness. No bitterness and might be a tad too sweet but really corny. Mouthfeel was a bit below average, finished sweet and had a semi-lingering corn aftertaste.

Drinkability is low. I won't be buying this beer again. I'd probably rather drink Budweiser than drink this one again but if there's nothing else, I'd drink this in a pinch.

xare, Aug 26, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a soapy white head that recedes quickly.

S: This smells like a cheap white/sparkling wine. Very dry and cidery with lots of grape juice, peaches, apple juice, and definitely some significant alcohol contributions.

T: The flavor is pretty much the same as the nose, but sweeter. Apple cider with some white grape juice flavor. There's still that same cheap wine thing going on and a fair amount of alcohol.

M: The body is medium with the carbonation being a bit high at first before dying down.

D: For a "craft" malt liquor, this is pretty bad. I'd rather have any number of mass produced industrial malt liquors.

womencantsail, Dec 14, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours transparent yellow with white head. Malt liquor scent but nicer: toilet water with hops, (let's pretend I'm at Penn State.) Malt liquor taste but wetter, tarter, hoppier, and with residual sugar out the a$$. A sugary hangover-to-come beer equipped with malt extract and everything not craft. Don't waste your money just buy Olde English.

JRed, Aug 31, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

pours a nice peachy amber color with a thin, quickly receding head. Light carbonation.

Nose is full of brown sugar, wheat chaff, hints of cinammon.

Tastes syrupy and, and...can't quite put my finger on it. Like there's a really sweet, lemony vanilla cake that's put in your mouth and then taken out again before you can chew it. It feels watery and imbalanced, with no hops or malt to deal with the sweetness.

If I'd brewed it, I'd think "sweet, this is one of my better homebrews," but coming from Rogue I expect a lot more.

checkfeet, Jun 01, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -30.9%

Purchased a 22 oz. bomber in honor of father's day. I was sorry that I did.

Poured into my Yankee pint glass (subway series game).

A- Golden yellow- slight orange tint- no head whatsoever and absolutely no lacing. Was not a very pretty sight in my glass.

S- Smelled sweet and malty- some fuity scent- orange maybe?

T- Taste was of sugar and malts. A very faint hop presence- some grains. Alcohol detected- burned as I sipped this.

D- I can't see myself drinking this anytime soon. I may end up pouring the rest once I get through the glass.

A dissapointment from Rogue. Not recommended.

DavidSeanNJ, Jun 18, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep golden yellow color with a quickly disappearing fizzy white head. The aroma and taste are dominated by a cheap grainy malt flavor. Why Rogue would release this brew is beyond me. I pretty much enjoy all of their offerings except for this one. Not recommended.

cjgator3, Jun 28, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this up in Edmonton at the Sherbrooke Liquor Store, first time I'd seen it available locally.

I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but it really does pour out a dense, lustreless, and almost seedy looking flat apricot hue. Lazy carbonation, and a quick splash of head that fizzles out quickly. Still, true to style...

The aroma is cidery, sour grains and some sweetish corn. Not very enticing.

Well then, it's been a while since I've had a 40 dog of malt liquor, and if this is what a top microbrewey produces as their version of the style, then I know for sure that I haven't really been missing out. Still with the cidery, sour mash flavour motif, although a hint of buttery, bready malt far, far off in the background towards the finish. That lets me know that this was intentionally made to taste this way, as opposed to whatever the left over dregs from the main brewing vat end up tasting like regardless. The more I drink and the more it warms up, the more that backbone of real malt starts to appear, and even a little bit of hops. It tends to move farther away from a cidery nature, and more to one of a malt based beer, although the corn is still apparent in flavour and mouthfeel. It becomes somewhat drinkable.

The mouthfeel is still a few notches above the average macro, it seems watery at times, but has a fairly decent backbone to it. It may smell like it from time to time, but this isn't in the realm of swill, I'll give it that.

A curious interpretation of the style, points go to Rogue for flying lowbrow and attempting to produce a classy malt liquor. Still, for the price of it compared to what you get, I'd still buy a real 40 Dog of malt liquor for half the price, and if I'm at the point where I'm buying malt liquor, I'll be using it for the medicinal (aka "self-medicating") purposes that it was created for in the first place.

IronDjinn, Sep 04, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

This beer poured a crystal clear yellowish/golden body with a small white head that died somewhat quickly. Darker than your average macro.

Nose is very faint with only some slight sweet malt touches, some little hints of fruit and grass.

Taste is light to medium bodied with a predominant course, slightly bitter, cut grain malt taste. A huge carbonation releases this grain bitterness throughout. Not much in the way of flavor, simply a honey-like sticky sweetness, with big course malt liquor 6 row type husky malt, touches of grass and cooked vegetables. There's a mild metallic taste from start to finish. Very dry in the finish with a lingering bitterness.

Hmmm, it's an interesting malt liquor. It just has this grassy off-flavor that shines above the malt-liquor flavor in this. Although a nice idea it sort of misses the boat.

taez555, Jul 13, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Straw colored liquid with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Kinda looks like a Michelob.

S - Smell is mainly sweet corn with a very light tinge of dirty hops. Tough to pick up much scent of this one.

T - Corn, a little alcohol, and the aftertaste of a cheap domestic (old mil, natty). Not much depth of flavor and not very pleasant. Served at 45 degrees, maybe should be colder.

M - A little bit slimy and pretty heavily carbonated. Nothing special but probably par for the course on a malt liquor.

D - Not very drinkable, bad taste and alcohol slow you down significantly. Like I said before, probably would go down smoother if it was colder. Decent alcohol kick on this one as it warms my belly a little bit.

Probably not worth another go for me.

dgfair, Mar 02, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

A-Clear golden color rising bubbles with a 1.5" snow white head.

S-Malty & Yeasty similar to a typical pils.

T-Sweet yeasty beginning rolling into a thick malted finish.

M-Very malt liquor typical.

D- It's a good everyday beer with no frills and priced at 5.99 for the bomber makes me ask myself...."why" would I purchase this beer again?

RJUGA03, Aug 24, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

No freshness date. Typical Rogue... Instead of drinking this malt liquor out of a brown bag, I decided to pour it into my Carlsberg pilsner glass. I had been saving this bottle for a while (for no good reason) but I was never sure what to expect. Malt liquor has never really been known as the picture of class and style, so seeing a talented brewery try to tackle this style of beer was intriguing. Listening to Interpol.

A: As I pour this beer into my glass, I am surprised by the lack of head build-up. I poured more vigorously, but that only helped a little. The finger-thick white head crackled away almost instantly, disappearing to nothing. I have seen better heads on most light beers. The body itself was surprisingly hazy. A deep golden color, and an abundant amount of active carbonation kept this beer from an "awful" rating.

S: Not a bad smell. It is actually very Rogue-esque. I can smell the alcohol, sitting right next to that corn smell. That is mixed with a sweet malty smell and a faint waft of Crystal hops. Tempting...

T: I would really like to know the ABV of this beer. Why does Rogue not say what the alcohol content is in their beers? I am not buying the excuse that they cannot control the alcohol levels of their beer (just what someone said to me once). Anyways, I am harping on this because the alcohol is very present in this beer. It almost dominates the taste. This is not well-balanced; the beer is entirely too bitter for this style. There is a lot of sugar left in the beer, and the gravity they list on the bottle is very high for a malt liquor. (17 P) The aftertaste is not very pleasant, coating the mouth with a medicinal taste.

M: Despite the taste, I cannot argue against the light bodied, highly carbonated mouthfeel. There is a wonderful warmth that comes from the alcohol, reminding me of those (good ol') days when people used to drink in order to get drunk.

D: The more I drink, the less I like it. I think it is excessive for a malt liquor. The alcohol is too much and that really brings the drinkability score down a bit. I say that it is a bad match for the malt liquor style. Good for a Maibock??

MusicaleMike, Jun 28, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

XmnwildX12, Dec 11, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear gold with a fleeting white dome that settles in as a collar.
Cereal grain nose, Corn Chex mostly, with a handful of Honey-Nut Cheerios, and a shot of grain alcohol.
Enters with a unprepossessing sense of grain. Vague and neutral, then it forays into honey and lingers there for a moment. Corn gradually comes out with warmth (and I poured this literally ice-cold, it's a fucking malt liquor, after all). Cloyingness follows the same arc- semi-clean upfront, then, uh, not so much. A bit of chalky yeast interplay fouls up a generally brisk lagered middle. There are some gritty, stale-seeming earthy hops, but then a bizarre and incongruent sense of vanilla and hazelnut flashes for a second before the dilute Moonshine-esque boozy closure.
Abrasively fizzy up front, then it settles and turns tackier.
Hard to call here. It's not a great beer, and while probably better than any gas-station tall can, it doesn't seem faithful enough to give it kitsch points.
At least Dogfish went balls-out with the actual 40oz bottle.

cokes, Oct 02, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

22 oz bomber. No freshness date noted.

Hazy golden with a creamy white head and spotty lace.

Aroma of sweet corn, grain, light brown sugar.

Flavor is sweet, malty, sugary, buttery, with a bit of hops on the finish.

Not bad for a sweet malt liquor, much better than the OE, Mickeys, Steel reserve that make up this genre.

Padron4KM, Apr 23, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I am having this in rememberance of my father on fathers day.

Poured into a Victory mug extra cold.Just shy of fitting the whole beer into my mug.

Nice thick white head,cloudy yellow body.Looks like piss.I smell some hop,sweetness and some corn.The taste is very sweet,you can sorta taste the hops in there and the malt ties in very nice with the corn additives.Leaves some nice lacing on my mug.Smooth and watery mouthful.Maybe its me but I prefer the ghetto malt liquor over this stuff.Anyway I love and miss you dad!

MmmIPA, Jun 17, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I was damned disappointed with this one, and I love American Malt Liquor(s) as well as many of rogue's beers (especially the XS stuff). This just seemed forced, as the corn flakes do nothing for the beer; they don't even help the beer fit the category as the result flavor-wise is disjointed and just sort of nasty. Aren't adjuncts used in this capacity to round out the taste/mouthfeel? Sour notes and a lack of balance ruin the drinkability. I was real glad to try this, and still am in a sense, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'd rather have a DFH Liquor de Malt the next time I'm craving high-end malt liquor.

MarkBlackout, Jul 04, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Derek. Intentional corn and malt and alcohol. To get drunk by, but nah at 7%. Light yellow with white soapy head. Sugar for sure.Maybe better cold.Ethanol liquor.A real experiment, but worthwhile.Not very complex flavour, maybe in the first week.

Sammy, Apr 16, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a corny yellow with no head. Not a very lovely beer. Smells of corn as well, but with some hops and none of the chemical harshness of some of the cheaper malt liquors. Similar notes in the taste. Somewhat harsh and hot with more corn flavor sweetness. Some earthy hops at the end. Definitely a malt liquor. Not very smooth, and really not all that drinkable. This is a joke right? Funny to produce something like this, but its definitely a novelty rather than something I'd actually want to drink. I generally rate within a style, but I'm sorry, this style is just not something I respect- or that tastes good.

Georgiabeer, Aug 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, yes, I drank it out of a snifter. I got this bottle on sale for $1.99 in Athens, GA.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a small amount of off white head that disappears completely.

Smell: Sweet with strong hints of banana.

Taste: Just like the smell. Sweet with a lot of banana. A bit watery and light on flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was alright. I didn't expect the banana notes, but I'm not sure what I was expecting. Probably wouldn't have this again.

oline73, Sep 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured this 16.6 oz bomber into a nonic. Clear, rich golden colored body supported a weak head. Sizzling head dissolved to nothing quickly. Minimal carbonation trails rose.

Smell was rather strong. Corn husks and beer bottle caps. Alcohol presented late.

Taste was tart with a harsh bitterness. Walnut skin bitterness--not hops flavor bitterness. Perfumy taste (not smell). Sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel was zippy, zestiness. This beer is not one I will seek again. Reviewed to style.

Cresant, Dec 22, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Bright, bold, yellow-orange body, crystal clear. Three inches of snow white foam on top, rapidly snap, crackle, and popping away.Soon the head is a sheer lace tablecloth. Certainly looks better than your typical malt liquor.

Very grassy aroma, bit of hay, and a "cheap beer aroma", which I'm going to guess is from the corn. Frankly, it smells like a beer you don't want to spill on the den carpet.

Taste starts with a medium sweetness, neither the depth of good caramel nor the sickening cloying of a pixie stick. Very low level hop wave blunts the sweetness but makes little impression on its own. Bit of alcohol bite in the finish/aftertaste.

OK light-medium mouthfeel. Seems to be flattening quickly though.

Drinkability hurt by the alcohol bite in the finish.

Now that I've tried a craft-brewed malt liquor, I will ask, "what's the point?" Isn't this a style that the craft beer revolution is fighting? Does it taste better than Colt 45 ? I don't know, I haven't had a cheap malt liquor (that was one phase of beer evolution I missed). I do know that a sixer of Stroh's might be a better use of the cost of this bomber. It's not awful, but I see no reason to recommend it either.

RonfromJersey, Jun 20, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appears a deep clear honey golden tone really clear quick dwindling white head leaves uneven lacing around my 12oz pour. Aroma has sweet maltiness with a touch of honey sweetness evident cooked veggies and corn sweetness mild fruit tart apple note light herbal hop finish. Flavor is a bit rough alcohol wave crashes syrupy honey malt notes rough malt liquor edge with cooked veggies and more tart apple in the finish an interesting beer from Rogue ales to produce. Mouthfeel thin to light bodied brew, carbonation not enough to carry the heavy offtones found here. Drinkability not so much I wouldn't comeback to this especially with Rogue Integrity on tap at the same bar.

WVbeergeek, Jul 10, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance- Pours a crappy, sparse head with quick dispersion. The color is very Czech pils like. A golden yellow with light amber hints in the middle. The bubbling is also very pils-like with a moderate amount of bubbles inching their way to the surface.

Smell- A bland, tart apple, puckery light malt aroma.

Taste- Starts with a corny, adjunct flavor then some of the pilsnery malts take over. Then the pelletized hopping takes over at the end.

Mouthfeel- The finish stuck with my palate way too long after each sip. If there was better dissipation, it would have gotten a better review, but the aftertaste was a little cloying.

scruffwhor, Jun 23, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Golden color, like what you’d expect from a lager. Tastes decent, pretty average beer with a slight ‘zing’ to it. It’s certainly not a malt liquor like you’d expect if you’ve been drinking Hurricane or Schlitz lately. Worth a try, but only if you’re feeling bored with whatever else is on the shelf. I probably won’t buy it again and certainly not a good representation of what Rogue is capable of. I also can’t claim to be a malt liquor connoisseur, but this was without a doubt the most expensive one I’ve had at $5.25 and it wasn’t even 40oz.

msolar, Oct 26, 2006