Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

A-Clear golden color rising bubbles with a 1.5" snow white head.

S-Malty & Yeasty similar to a typical pils.

T-Sweet yeasty beginning rolling into a thick malted finish.

M-Very malt liquor typical.

D- It's a good everyday beer with no frills and priced at 5.99 for the bomber makes me ask myself...."why" would I purchase this beer again?

RJUGA03, Aug 24, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

No freshness date. Typical Rogue... Instead of drinking this malt liquor out of a brown bag, I decided to pour it into my Carlsberg pilsner glass. I had been saving this bottle for a while (for no good reason) but I was never sure what to expect. Malt liquor has never really been known as the picture of class and style, so seeing a talented brewery try to tackle this style of beer was intriguing. Listening to Interpol.

A: As I pour this beer into my glass, I am surprised by the lack of head build-up. I poured more vigorously, but that only helped a little. The finger-thick white head crackled away almost instantly, disappearing to nothing. I have seen better heads on most light beers. The body itself was surprisingly hazy. A deep golden color, and an abundant amount of active carbonation kept this beer from an "awful" rating.

S: Not a bad smell. It is actually very Rogue-esque. I can smell the alcohol, sitting right next to that corn smell. That is mixed with a sweet malty smell and a faint waft of Crystal hops. Tempting...

T: I would really like to know the ABV of this beer. Why does Rogue not say what the alcohol content is in their beers? I am not buying the excuse that they cannot control the alcohol levels of their beer (just what someone said to me once). Anyways, I am harping on this because the alcohol is very present in this beer. It almost dominates the taste. This is not well-balanced; the beer is entirely too bitter for this style. There is a lot of sugar left in the beer, and the gravity they list on the bottle is very high for a malt liquor. (17 P) The aftertaste is not very pleasant, coating the mouth with a medicinal taste.

M: Despite the taste, I cannot argue against the light bodied, highly carbonated mouthfeel. There is a wonderful warmth that comes from the alcohol, reminding me of those (good ol') days when people used to drink in order to get drunk.

D: The more I drink, the less I like it. I think it is excessive for a malt liquor. The alcohol is too much and that really brings the drinkability score down a bit. I say that it is a bad match for the malt liquor style. Good for a Maibock??

MusicaleMike, Jun 28, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

XmnwildX12, Dec 11, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear gold with a fleeting white dome that settles in as a collar.
Cereal grain nose, Corn Chex mostly, with a handful of Honey-Nut Cheerios, and a shot of grain alcohol.
Enters with a unprepossessing sense of grain. Vague and neutral, then it forays into honey and lingers there for a moment. Corn gradually comes out with warmth (and I poured this literally ice-cold, it's a fucking malt liquor, after all). Cloyingness follows the same arc- semi-clean upfront, then, uh, not so much. A bit of chalky yeast interplay fouls up a generally brisk lagered middle. There are some gritty, stale-seeming earthy hops, but then a bizarre and incongruent sense of vanilla and hazelnut flashes for a second before the dilute Moonshine-esque boozy closure.
Abrasively fizzy up front, then it settles and turns tackier.
Hard to call here. It's not a great beer, and while probably better than any gas-station tall can, it doesn't seem faithful enough to give it kitsch points.
At least Dogfish went balls-out with the actual 40oz bottle.

cokes, Oct 02, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

22 oz bomber. No freshness date noted.

Hazy golden with a creamy white head and spotty lace.

Aroma of sweet corn, grain, light brown sugar.

Flavor is sweet, malty, sugary, buttery, with a bit of hops on the finish.

Not bad for a sweet malt liquor, much better than the OE, Mickeys, Steel reserve that make up this genre.

Padron4KM, Apr 23, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I am having this in rememberance of my father on fathers day.

Poured into a Victory mug extra cold.Just shy of fitting the whole beer into my mug.

Nice thick white head,cloudy yellow body.Looks like piss.I smell some hop,sweetness and some corn.The taste is very sweet,you can sorta taste the hops in there and the malt ties in very nice with the corn additives.Leaves some nice lacing on my mug.Smooth and watery mouthful.Maybe its me but I prefer the ghetto malt liquor over this stuff.Anyway I love and miss you dad!

MmmIPA, Jun 17, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I was damned disappointed with this one, and I love American Malt Liquor(s) as well as many of rogue's beers (especially the XS stuff). This just seemed forced, as the corn flakes do nothing for the beer; they don't even help the beer fit the category as the result flavor-wise is disjointed and just sort of nasty. Aren't adjuncts used in this capacity to round out the taste/mouthfeel? Sour notes and a lack of balance ruin the drinkability. I was real glad to try this, and still am in a sense, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'd rather have a DFH Liquor de Malt the next time I'm craving high-end malt liquor.

MarkBlackout, Jul 04, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Derek. Intentional corn and malt and alcohol. To get drunk by, but nah at 7%. Light yellow with white soapy head. Sugar for sure.Maybe better cold.Ethanol liquor.A real experiment, but worthwhile.Not very complex flavour, maybe in the first week.

Sammy, Apr 16, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a corny yellow with no head. Not a very lovely beer. Smells of corn as well, but with some hops and none of the chemical harshness of some of the cheaper malt liquors. Similar notes in the taste. Somewhat harsh and hot with more corn flavor sweetness. Some earthy hops at the end. Definitely a malt liquor. Not very smooth, and really not all that drinkable. This is a joke right? Funny to produce something like this, but its definitely a novelty rather than something I'd actually want to drink. I generally rate within a style, but I'm sorry, this style is just not something I respect- or that tastes good.

Georgiabeer, Aug 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, yes, I drank it out of a snifter. I got this bottle on sale for $1.99 in Athens, GA.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a small amount of off white head that disappears completely.

Smell: Sweet with strong hints of banana.

Taste: Just like the smell. Sweet with a lot of banana. A bit watery and light on flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was alright. I didn't expect the banana notes, but I'm not sure what I was expecting. Probably wouldn't have this again.

oline73, Sep 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured this 16.6 oz bomber into a nonic. Clear, rich golden colored body supported a weak head. Sizzling head dissolved to nothing quickly. Minimal carbonation trails rose.

Smell was rather strong. Corn husks and beer bottle caps. Alcohol presented late.

Taste was tart with a harsh bitterness. Walnut skin bitterness--not hops flavor bitterness. Perfumy taste (not smell). Sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel was zippy, zestiness. This beer is not one I will seek again. Reviewed to style.

Cresant, Dec 22, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Bright, bold, yellow-orange body, crystal clear. Three inches of snow white foam on top, rapidly snap, crackle, and popping away.Soon the head is a sheer lace tablecloth. Certainly looks better than your typical malt liquor.

Very grassy aroma, bit of hay, and a "cheap beer aroma", which I'm going to guess is from the corn. Frankly, it smells like a beer you don't want to spill on the den carpet.

Taste starts with a medium sweetness, neither the depth of good caramel nor the sickening cloying of a pixie stick. Very low level hop wave blunts the sweetness but makes little impression on its own. Bit of alcohol bite in the finish/aftertaste.

OK light-medium mouthfeel. Seems to be flattening quickly though.

Drinkability hurt by the alcohol bite in the finish.

Now that I've tried a craft-brewed malt liquor, I will ask, "what's the point?" Isn't this a style that the craft beer revolution is fighting? Does it taste better than Colt 45 ? I don't know, I haven't had a cheap malt liquor (that was one phase of beer evolution I missed). I do know that a sixer of Stroh's might be a better use of the cost of this bomber. It's not awful, but I see no reason to recommend it either.

RonfromJersey, Jun 20, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appears a deep clear honey golden tone really clear quick dwindling white head leaves uneven lacing around my 12oz pour. Aroma has sweet maltiness with a touch of honey sweetness evident cooked veggies and corn sweetness mild fruit tart apple note light herbal hop finish. Flavor is a bit rough alcohol wave crashes syrupy honey malt notes rough malt liquor edge with cooked veggies and more tart apple in the finish an interesting beer from Rogue ales to produce. Mouthfeel thin to light bodied brew, carbonation not enough to carry the heavy offtones found here. Drinkability not so much I wouldn't comeback to this especially with Rogue Integrity on tap at the same bar.

WVbeergeek, Jul 09, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance- Pours a crappy, sparse head with quick dispersion. The color is very Czech pils like. A golden yellow with light amber hints in the middle. The bubbling is also very pils-like with a moderate amount of bubbles inching their way to the surface.

Smell- A bland, tart apple, puckery light malt aroma.

Taste- Starts with a corny, adjunct flavor then some of the pilsnery malts take over. Then the pelletized hopping takes over at the end.

Mouthfeel- The finish stuck with my palate way too long after each sip. If there was better dissipation, it would have gotten a better review, but the aftertaste was a little cloying.

scruffwhor, Jun 23, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Golden color, like what you’d expect from a lager. Tastes decent, pretty average beer with a slight ‘zing’ to it. It’s certainly not a malt liquor like you’d expect if you’ve been drinking Hurricane or Schlitz lately. Worth a try, but only if you’re feeling bored with whatever else is on the shelf. I probably won’t buy it again and certainly not a good representation of what Rogue is capable of. I also can’t claim to be a malt liquor connoisseur, but this was without a doubt the most expensive one I’ve had at $5.25 and it wasn’t even 40oz.

msolar, Oct 26, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Color is a typical amber, though more orange than the average lager. Smell is not strong and fairly malty, not very impressive. Flavor is all right, malty with a good alcohol zing to it, not complex. Texture is fairly smooth but has an edge. Not Rogue's best, but I'm sure it tastes better than most malt liquors.

Cyberkedi, Jun 27, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Wanted to try this after listening to the Jamil Show on cloning it wondering how this bad boy tasted.

A - Poured a nice clear yellow. Not much of a head but stuck around a lot longer then most malt liqours.

S - Smelled very musty, just like a malty mustiness that was not pleasant at all to me. Might have been on the shelf for a while but was not impressed with the aroma. Not very pleasing to me at all.

T - The first thing that hit me was a corn like sweetness. Surprisingly it has a good amount of body and residual sweetness. After that just a light bitterness lingers on the tongue. I could pick up hints of vanilla and green apple.

M - As stated a pretty decent body on this one. Not a thin fizzy beer at all.

D - Not bad you could probably down a few but at this price why bother.

So to sum up worth a try once but at this price not really one I would go back to. If it were like $2 for a bomber I would probably buy it every once in a while but at $6 a bomber forget about it.

TheBeerWolf, Sep 03, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

I had to pick this one up when I saw it. As the father of two kids, how could I pass it up? I fully expect this beer to be gross, but at least I can keep the bottle.

I drank it straight out of the bottle in honor of the Malt Liquor style so I have to say the appearance is excellent because I love the bottle and the little story on the back.

The smell and taste can be wrapped into one section. It basically reminds me of putting bread in a blender with some water and blending it up (will it blend?). That is not to say it is terribly bad. Having cut my teeth on Steel Reserve and similar brews as a kid, I was afraid this beer would take me back to that awful place. Not so. The malts hit hard and the corn listed on the ingredients is nowhere to be found on my palate.

Mouthfeel is a but too rich and syrupy to handle. You probably won't find anyone drinking more than one of these. The alcohol content is unknown, but it feels pretty strong after downing about half of it.

To summarize, I expected much worse and ended up finishing the whole 22oz bottle with a smile on my face. I can't say I could do that with most malt liquors.

nowise, Jun 29, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Draught version, from the Draughtho(u/r)se.

Very light golden color with almost no head.

Smells decent, sweet grain and some green apple.

Yeah, tastes like malt liquor... Sweet and cloying despite the wateriness. This one would benefit from the aggressive carbonation of other malt liquors in my opinion, to help cleanse the palate of all the sugariness.

I drank the whole pint, but it was a chore- especially after something nice and hoppy like the SN Torpedo I had right before this one.

BeerZack, Jul 11, 2007

matjack85, Jan 27, 2013

andrewborstein, Mar 18, 2012

sendbeer, Dec 09, 2012

Lee45102, Sep 13, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

Reviewed from detailed notes. Pours a half finger off-white head over a light straw colored liquid. A bit of green anti-freeze glow when held to light. Smells of corn, alcohol, and canteloupe.

Taste mild. Mild alcohol sting. Sweet with a phenolic edge. Dry straw finish. Drying in the back of the throat, with med-light mouthfeel. I still haven't met a malt liquor I like.

mentor, Oct 15, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: clear yellow / light orange color with a thin 1/4" head that disappears immediately. No lacing.

Smell: sweetness is all that is detected.

Taste: malt, corn, honey are dominant and there is a touch of bitterness but not enough to mellow the sweetness. Some alcohol is detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth all around. Long sweet aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not for me as this is just doesn't taste good. Couldn't finish the bottle either. I'll stick with the good Rogue beers.

Gavage, Oct 13, 2006