Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
Ratings: 335 | Reviews: 269
2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, yes, I drank it out of a snifter. I got this bottle on sale for $1.99 in Athens, GA.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a small amount of off white head that disappears completely.

Smell: Sweet with strong hints of banana.

Taste: Just like the smell. Sweet with a lot of banana. A bit watery and light on flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was alright. I didn't expect the banana notes, but I'm not sure what I was expecting. Probably wouldn't have this again.

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured this 16.6 oz bomber into a nonic. Clear, rich golden colored body supported a weak head. Sizzling head dissolved to nothing quickly. Minimal carbonation trails rose.

Smell was rather strong. Corn husks and beer bottle caps. Alcohol presented late.

Taste was tart with a harsh bitterness. Walnut skin bitterness--not hops flavor bitterness. Perfumy taste (not smell). Sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel was zippy, zestiness. This beer is not one I will seek again. Reviewed to style.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Golden color, like what you’d expect from a lager. Tastes decent, pretty average beer with a slight ‘zing’ to it. It’s certainly not a malt liquor like you’d expect if you’ve been drinking Hurricane or Schlitz lately. Worth a try, but only if you’re feeling bored with whatever else is on the shelf. I probably won’t buy it again and certainly not a good representation of what Rogue is capable of. I also can’t claim to be a malt liquor connoisseur, but this was without a doubt the most expensive one I’ve had at $5.25 and it wasn’t even 40oz.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Color is a typical amber, though more orange than the average lager. Smell is not strong and fairly malty, not very impressive. Flavor is all right, malty with a good alcohol zing to it, not complex. Texture is fairly smooth but has an edge. Not Rogue's best, but I'm sure it tastes better than most malt liquors.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

Appears a deep clear honey golden tone really clear quick dwindling white head leaves uneven lacing around my 12oz pour. Aroma has sweet maltiness with a touch of honey sweetness evident cooked veggies and corn sweetness mild fruit tart apple note light herbal hop finish. Flavor is a bit rough alcohol wave crashes syrupy honey malt notes rough malt liquor edge with cooked veggies and more tart apple in the finish an interesting beer from Rogue ales to produce. Mouthfeel thin to light bodied brew, carbonation not enough to carry the heavy offtones found here. Drinkability not so much I wouldn't comeback to this especially with Rogue Integrity on tap at the same bar.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

I had to pick this one up when I saw it. As the father of two kids, how could I pass it up? I fully expect this beer to be gross, but at least I can keep the bottle.

I drank it straight out of the bottle in honor of the Malt Liquor style so I have to say the appearance is excellent because I love the bottle and the little story on the back.

The smell and taste can be wrapped into one section. It basically reminds me of putting bread in a blender with some water and blending it up (will it blend?). That is not to say it is terribly bad. Having cut my teeth on Steel Reserve and similar brews as a kid, I was afraid this beer would take me back to that awful place. Not so. The malts hit hard and the corn listed on the ingredients is nowhere to be found on my palate.

Mouthfeel is a but too rich and syrupy to handle. You probably won't find anyone drinking more than one of these. The alcohol content is unknown, but it feels pretty strong after downing about half of it.

To summarize, I expected much worse and ended up finishing the whole 22oz bottle with a smile on my face. I can't say I could do that with most malt liquors.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance- Pours a crappy, sparse head with quick dispersion. The color is very Czech pils like. A golden yellow with light amber hints in the middle. The bubbling is also very pils-like with a moderate amount of bubbles inching their way to the surface.

Smell- A bland, tart apple, puckery light malt aroma.

Taste- Starts with a corny, adjunct flavor then some of the pilsnery malts take over. Then the pelletized hopping takes over at the end.

Mouthfeel- The finish stuck with my palate way too long after each sip. If there was better dissipation, it would have gotten a better review, but the aftertaste was a little cloying.

2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: clear yellow / light orange color with a thin 1/4" head that disappears immediately. No lacing.

Smell: sweetness is all that is detected.

Taste: malt, corn, honey are dominant and there is a touch of bitterness but not enough to mellow the sweetness. Some alcohol is detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth all around. Long sweet aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not for me as this is just doesn't taste good. Couldn't finish the bottle either. I'll stick with the good Rogue beers.

2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Reviewed from detailed notes. Pours a half finger off-white head over a light straw colored liquid. A bit of green anti-freeze glow when held to light. Smells of corn, alcohol, and canteloupe.

Taste mild. Mild alcohol sting. Sweet with a phenolic edge. Dry straw finish. Drying in the back of the throat, with med-light mouthfeel. I still haven't met a malt liquor I like.

2.79/5  rDev -17%

Draught version, from the Draughtho(u/r)se.

Very light golden color with almost no head.

Smells decent, sweet grain and some green apple.

Yeah, tastes like malt liquor... Sweet and cloying despite the wateriness. This one would benefit from the aggressive carbonation of other malt liquors in my opinion, to help cleanse the palate of all the sugariness.

I drank the whole pint, but it was a chore- especially after something nice and hoppy like the SN Torpedo I had right before this one.

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Old Note from 9/24/07

Sad that I recognize the qualities of maltliquor.

The smell, oaky chardonay? [that explains alot about what's so popular]

Weird dense foam. OE like color.
Yikes, Sweet Tangy, yup that's it, smooth middle. Sticky. Kind of metalic or flinty tones [more Chardonnay qualities]

Quaint. Not something to have often.
I hate to say it but it's prefect for spicy, greasy, food. Chinese. Szchewan? Hot spicy Asian stuff.

[I forgot to note that a friend & I bought a 12 case Noah's Ark of 40's a few years back. I've had none since and plan on not buying any more macro-brew macro beers]

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured this beer into tumbler at 45 degrees. beer was faily average looking like a domestic. Beer had no head at all and no lacing. looked flat and smelled skunky. Bland tasting kinda like a domestic, nothing stood out. It okay i guess but why pay that price for a flat malt liqour when you can buy a fresh Micky. Not buy again.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

What have we here? A bit of fun it seems. Rogue Brewery of Oregon, brewers of some of the finer ales you will find anywhere is throwing us a curveball with their rendition of a malt liquor? Alright, I am game for it....

The first thing you will notice is the urine colored hue. Yep, that sounds about right for a malt liquor. Put it to your nose...yes, cereal grains right up front with this one. The taste is a bit harsh(grainy perhaps?) with a strong alcohol note and a cloying finish that you just can't shake. Yeah, they nailed this one!

If you are looking for another fantastic offering from the folks in Newport, you are missing the point. This is parody of the old days when we couldn't afford a decent ale, at a time where we couldn't appreciate one if it was poured on us.

Gutsy move for a brewery with such excellent brews. This one is good for a laugh(it really is pretty good considering its purpose). Hopefully people don't associate the terrible cotton mouth with their other delicious ales.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

Rogue Dad's Little Helper is a sparkling, clear, dense golden lager with a thin white head that leaves excellent lacing. There is light grain and corn in the nose... perhaps black pepper or alcohol. It's medium bodied and quite smooth. The finish is dry and pretty clean. It's slightly sweet and boozy tasting. Yeah, it's malt liquor. It tastes less poisonous than your typical malt liquor. There's no fusel to be found here. It somehow seems very... Rogue.

2.86/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours kinda hazy goldenrod that turns transparent straw yellow with backing light. Nice 2 fingers of white head but predictably poor retention and lacing. I know there's no rice in this beer but the aroma is ricey and of course corny. The signature blandness of pale malts and a fleeting berry sweetness. The crystal hops used are supposed to be noble but I don't really smell any spiciness. Flavor is part water cracker and part corn syrup. The beer vanishes from the palate upon the swallow, leaving just a metallic tinge and a belch. Obviously better than cheapo malt likka but not a good beer by any standard.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Clear golden straw in color, 3cm foamy white head. The aroma is of syrupy, grainy malt and some musty and pine resinous hops. The taste is again pretty rich and malty, plenty of grains including corn. Musty floral hops, that also give a slight lemon grass edge. The mouthfeel is pretty heavy for this pale of a beer, and a little boozy.

Overall: I bought this because of the name, and thats about what I got. Compared to most malt liquors, this is pretty good, compared to most beers I like, this is crap. Maybe it was just psycological because its a malt liquor, but I had a hard time choking this one down.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours out a Golden Yellow color, plenty of life, totally clear with a thin white, fizzy head that's gone baby gone!

Sweet honey aroma in the malt, then becoming more tart with slight herbs and pepper. A sour-yeastiness is detected that is brett-ish, perhaps this one has seen better days?

A tangy, sour and sickly sweet malt pops out first, but something doesn't seem right here. Tart and tangy?? did this yeast run-amok?? The feel is also pretty flat and lifeless looking and tasting. Herbal tang and green veggies just does not cut it. The flaked corn is unique aspect but I can't detect any of it's effects. I've actually used flaked corn in my homebrew before, and it just doesn't come through here.

I'm willing to give this another shot, hopefully the next one will be much better.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer pours a clear gold with a small white head that's gone quikly. The smell is weak with only a hint of malt. The taste is crisp with malt sweetness and a somewhat mettalic aftertaste. The m/f is light and the flavors are not mixed all that well making this almost a joke beer. This really isn't much better than other macro beers and I can't see getting this again.

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

Served from a bomber. The appearance is not typical for a malt liqour. It looked similar to a pale ale. It was orangish yellow and had a thin, white head. The smell was it's weak point. It smelled kindly sour, but then again, it is a malt liqour. The taste was not as corny as most malt liqours. A tad more mellow. It drank good for the style. I would rather have this than some others of the style. Decent.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%

pours out of the 22 oz. bomber a dirty/darkish gold colour...thin fizzy head which dies down quickly leaving sparse to nonexistent lace. flowery sweet aroma of adjunct. the taste is a big sweet mass of malt and corn, a bit fusel and very sweet. a bit of hopping finds its way through in the end, a bit out of place in a malt liquor but pleasantly welcome. otherwise there really is nothing outstanding in the flavour profile to make this one memorable. the body is average for the style...and the mouthfeel is quite slick, oily and even cloying at times. drinkability is ok. one bomber is enough for me. glad they didn't make this a 40.

overall, not really recommended and definitely not worth the price of admission. worth trying to compare to other high gravity concoctions, but certainly forgettable.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

I was excited to finally try this one, as I have tried plenty of other malt liquors, mostly pretty nasty. This one was kind of a let down. I guess I had high hopes for it, being that it's from Rogue, which is pretty dependable on their brews. I MAY put it in my top 5, but then again, that's not really saying much for this style. To me, it tasted more like a buttery strong ale, than a malt liquor. It was a little too sweet for my likings as well. I guess the good thing about it, is that it hid the "higher" alcohol content, which is something hard to do with this style. I give 'em props for at least doing something fun like this though.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Pours dingy orange yellow into the glass, soapscum head on top.

Smell: Corn-based aroma, slightly bready. A touch of sweetness. Could be any ordinary American Macro Lager.

Taste: Slightly sweet, notes of caramel deep in the highly malted flavor. Some residual sweetness in the aftertaste. I don't think this uses the Pacman yeast that Rogue is so famous for. (Note: I just read the back of the bottle -- this one uses Czech Pils Yeast.) Goes down more smoothly than I anticipated, and is quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: No discernible carbonation, somewhat thick. Slight hoppiness.

Drinkability: This really isn't a bad beer at all, and I'd go for this before I'd go for a lot of lagers and pilseners. It's by no means a great beer, and six bucks a bomber is a bit pricey, but for an American Malt Liquor this is top-notch. (Not that that's saying much.)

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Presentation: 22oz Bottle, distinctively Rougue.

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow, small white head that quickly fades leaving little to no trace.

Smell: Malty corn, not a whole lot going on here.

Taste: Nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Slightly sweet, corn-y and alcoholic in taste. Decent malt backbone, even some hop character present, but it is hard to get past the taste of the stale corn.

Overall: To me this tastes like most other malt liquors(I thinking a slightly hoppy OE here) that cost half as much for twice as much. I had this in a tasting with DFH Liquor De Malt and that blew this away.

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. bottle

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fizzy white head that fades. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of sweet malt, corn, and booze. Reminds me of Crazy Horse.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront followed by a bunch of corn and booze. Finishes sweet and malty.

Body seems a little syrupy. Decent carbonation.

Rogue has really hit this style on the head. It is a classic malt liquor, which is like Crazy Horse on steroids (if such a thing there be). Although, I really enjoyed the novelty more than the beer itself.

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber picked up for 5 skippers. Poured into a tulip it takes some effort to get a result. Bright copper body like a brand new penny.

Well it really is similar to a garden variety malt liquor. I'm not talking Bull Ice or the real tough to swallow malt liquor. This is easily consumed and has a bit of spice at the end to keep it somewhat balanced. This lays heavily on the toasted malt and sweet malt side of the house.

Notes: Hmmmm under the price per value this one falls short. Its a decent brew but not one I'll seek out anytime soon.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales