1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I am having this in rememberance of my father on fathers day.

Poured into a Victory mug extra cold.Just shy of fitting the whole beer into my mug.

Nice thick white head,cloudy yellow body.Looks like piss.I smell some hop,sweetness and some corn.The taste is very sweet,you can sorta taste the hops in there and the malt ties in very nice with the corn additives.Leaves some nice lacing on my mug.Smooth and watery mouthful.Maybe its me but I prefer the ghetto malt liquor over this stuff.Anyway I love and miss you dad!

MmmIPA, Jun 17, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I was damned disappointed with this one, and I love American Malt Liquor(s) as well as many of rogue's beers (especially the XS stuff). This just seemed forced, as the corn flakes do nothing for the beer; they don't even help the beer fit the category as the result flavor-wise is disjointed and just sort of nasty. Aren't adjuncts used in this capacity to round out the taste/mouthfeel? Sour notes and a lack of balance ruin the drinkability. I was real glad to try this, and still am in a sense, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'd rather have a DFH Liquor de Malt the next time I'm craving high-end malt liquor.

MarkBlackout, Jul 04, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Derek. Intentional corn and malt and alcohol. To get drunk by, but nah at 7%. Light yellow with white soapy head. Sugar for sure.Maybe better cold.Ethanol liquor.A real experiment, but worthwhile.Not very complex flavour, maybe in the first week.

Sammy, Apr 16, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a corny yellow with no head. Not a very lovely beer. Smells of corn as well, but with some hops and none of the chemical harshness of some of the cheaper malt liquors. Similar notes in the taste. Somewhat harsh and hot with more corn flavor sweetness. Some earthy hops at the end. Definitely a malt liquor. Not very smooth, and really not all that drinkable. This is a joke right? Funny to produce something like this, but its definitely a novelty rather than something I'd actually want to drink. I generally rate within a style, but I'm sorry, this style is just not something I respect- or that tastes good.

Georgiabeer, Aug 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, yes, I drank it out of a snifter. I got this bottle on sale for $1.99 in Athens, GA.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a small amount of off white head that disappears completely.

Smell: Sweet with strong hints of banana.

Taste: Just like the smell. Sweet with a lot of banana. A bit watery and light on flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was alright. I didn't expect the banana notes, but I'm not sure what I was expecting. Probably wouldn't have this again.

oline73, Sep 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured this 16.6 oz bomber into a nonic. Clear, rich golden colored body supported a weak head. Sizzling head dissolved to nothing quickly. Minimal carbonation trails rose.

Smell was rather strong. Corn husks and beer bottle caps. Alcohol presented late.

Taste was tart with a harsh bitterness. Walnut skin bitterness--not hops flavor bitterness. Perfumy taste (not smell). Sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel was zippy, zestiness. This beer is not one I will seek again. Reviewed to style.

Cresant, Dec 22, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Bright, bold, yellow-orange body, crystal clear. Three inches of snow white foam on top, rapidly snap, crackle, and popping away.Soon the head is a sheer lace tablecloth. Certainly looks better than your typical malt liquor.

Very grassy aroma, bit of hay, and a "cheap beer aroma", which I'm going to guess is from the corn. Frankly, it smells like a beer you don't want to spill on the den carpet.

Taste starts with a medium sweetness, neither the depth of good caramel nor the sickening cloying of a pixie stick. Very low level hop wave blunts the sweetness but makes little impression on its own. Bit of alcohol bite in the finish/aftertaste.

OK light-medium mouthfeel. Seems to be flattening quickly though.

Drinkability hurt by the alcohol bite in the finish.

Now that I've tried a craft-brewed malt liquor, I will ask, "what's the point?" Isn't this a style that the craft beer revolution is fighting? Does it taste better than Colt 45 ? I don't know, I haven't had a cheap malt liquor (that was one phase of beer evolution I missed). I do know that a sixer of Stroh's might be a better use of the cost of this bomber. It's not awful, but I see no reason to recommend it either.

RonfromJersey, Jun 20, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appears a deep clear honey golden tone really clear quick dwindling white head leaves uneven lacing around my 12oz pour. Aroma has sweet maltiness with a touch of honey sweetness evident cooked veggies and corn sweetness mild fruit tart apple note light herbal hop finish. Flavor is a bit rough alcohol wave crashes syrupy honey malt notes rough malt liquor edge with cooked veggies and more tart apple in the finish an interesting beer from Rogue ales to produce. Mouthfeel thin to light bodied brew, carbonation not enough to carry the heavy offtones found here. Drinkability not so much I wouldn't comeback to this especially with Rogue Integrity on tap at the same bar.

WVbeergeek, Jul 10, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance- Pours a crappy, sparse head with quick dispersion. The color is very Czech pils like. A golden yellow with light amber hints in the middle. The bubbling is also very pils-like with a moderate amount of bubbles inching their way to the surface.

Smell- A bland, tart apple, puckery light malt aroma.

Taste- Starts with a corny, adjunct flavor then some of the pilsnery malts take over. Then the pelletized hopping takes over at the end.

Mouthfeel- The finish stuck with my palate way too long after each sip. If there was better dissipation, it would have gotten a better review, but the aftertaste was a little cloying.

scruffwhor, Jun 23, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Golden color, like what you’d expect from a lager. Tastes decent, pretty average beer with a slight ‘zing’ to it. It’s certainly not a malt liquor like you’d expect if you’ve been drinking Hurricane or Schlitz lately. Worth a try, but only if you’re feeling bored with whatever else is on the shelf. I probably won’t buy it again and certainly not a good representation of what Rogue is capable of. I also can’t claim to be a malt liquor connoisseur, but this was without a doubt the most expensive one I’ve had at $5.25 and it wasn’t even 40oz.

msolar, Oct 26, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Color is a typical amber, though more orange than the average lager. Smell is not strong and fairly malty, not very impressive. Flavor is all right, malty with a good alcohol zing to it, not complex. Texture is fairly smooth but has an edge. Not Rogue's best, but I'm sure it tastes better than most malt liquors.

Cyberkedi, Jun 27, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Wanted to try this after listening to the Jamil Show on cloning it wondering how this bad boy tasted.

A - Poured a nice clear yellow. Not much of a head but stuck around a lot longer then most malt liqours.

S - Smelled very musty, just like a malty mustiness that was not pleasant at all to me. Might have been on the shelf for a while but was not impressed with the aroma. Not very pleasing to me at all.

T - The first thing that hit me was a corn like sweetness. Surprisingly it has a good amount of body and residual sweetness. After that just a light bitterness lingers on the tongue. I could pick up hints of vanilla and green apple.

M - As stated a pretty decent body on this one. Not a thin fizzy beer at all.

D - Not bad you could probably down a few but at this price why bother.

So to sum up worth a try once but at this price not really one I would go back to. If it were like $2 for a bomber I would probably buy it every once in a while but at $6 a bomber forget about it.

TheBeerWolf, Sep 04, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

I had to pick this one up when I saw it. As the father of two kids, how could I pass it up? I fully expect this beer to be gross, but at least I can keep the bottle.

I drank it straight out of the bottle in honor of the Malt Liquor style so I have to say the appearance is excellent because I love the bottle and the little story on the back.

The smell and taste can be wrapped into one section. It basically reminds me of putting bread in a blender with some water and blending it up (will it blend?). That is not to say it is terribly bad. Having cut my teeth on Steel Reserve and similar brews as a kid, I was afraid this beer would take me back to that awful place. Not so. The malts hit hard and the corn listed on the ingredients is nowhere to be found on my palate.

Mouthfeel is a but too rich and syrupy to handle. You probably won't find anyone drinking more than one of these. The alcohol content is unknown, but it feels pretty strong after downing about half of it.

To summarize, I expected much worse and ended up finishing the whole 22oz bottle with a smile on my face. I can't say I could do that with most malt liquors.

nowise, Jun 29, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Draught version, from the Draughtho(u/r)se.

Very light golden color with almost no head.

Smells decent, sweet grain and some green apple.

Yeah, tastes like malt liquor... Sweet and cloying despite the wateriness. This one would benefit from the aggressive carbonation of other malt liquors in my opinion, to help cleanse the palate of all the sugariness.

I drank the whole pint, but it was a chore- especially after something nice and hoppy like the SN Torpedo I had right before this one.

BeerZack, Jul 11, 2007

matjack85, Jan 27, 2013

andrewborstein, Mar 18, 2012

sendbeer, Dec 09, 2012

Lee45102, Sep 13, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

Reviewed from detailed notes. Pours a half finger off-white head over a light straw colored liquid. A bit of green anti-freeze glow when held to light. Smells of corn, alcohol, and canteloupe.

Taste mild. Mild alcohol sting. Sweet with a phenolic edge. Dry straw finish. Drying in the back of the throat, with med-light mouthfeel. I still haven't met a malt liquor I like.

mentor, Oct 16, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: clear yellow / light orange color with a thin 1/4" head that disappears immediately. No lacing.

Smell: sweetness is all that is detected.

Taste: malt, corn, honey are dominant and there is a touch of bitterness but not enough to mellow the sweetness. Some alcohol is detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth all around. Long sweet aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not for me as this is just doesn't taste good. Couldn't finish the bottle either. I'll stick with the good Rogue beers.

Gavage, Oct 13, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -16%

Rogue Dad's Little Helper is a sparkling, clear, dense golden lager with a thin white head that leaves excellent lacing. There is light grain and corn in the nose... perhaps black pepper or alcohol. It's medium bodied and quite smooth. The finish is dry and pretty clean. It's slightly sweet and boozy tasting. Yeah, it's malt liquor. It tastes less poisonous than your typical malt liquor. There's no fusel to be found here. It somehow seems very... Rogue.

yesyouam, Sep 05, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -15.4%

Old Note from 9/24/07

Sad that I recognize the qualities of maltliquor.

The smell, oaky chardonay? [that explains alot about what's so popular]

Weird dense foam. OE like color.
Yikes, Sweet Tangy, yup that's it, smooth middle. Sticky. Kind of metalic or flinty tones [more Chardonnay qualities]

Quaint. Not something to have often.
I hate to say it but it's prefect for spicy, greasy, food. Chinese. Szchewan? Hot spicy Asian stuff.

[I forgot to note that a friend & I bought a 12 case Noah's Ark of 40's a few years back. I've had none since and plan on not buying any more macro-brew macro beers]

Dotcubed, Dec 12, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours kinda hazy goldenrod that turns transparent straw yellow with backing light. Nice 2 fingers of white head but predictably poor retention and lacing. I know there's no rice in this beer but the aroma is ricey and of course corny. The signature blandness of pale malts and a fleeting berry sweetness. The crystal hops used are supposed to be noble but I don't really smell any spiciness. Flavor is part water cracker and part corn syrup. The beer vanishes from the palate upon the swallow, leaving just a metallic tinge and a belch. Obviously better than cheapo malt likka but not a good beer by any standard.

illidurit, Oct 16, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Clear golden straw in color, 3cm foamy white head. The aroma is of syrupy, grainy malt and some musty and pine resinous hops. The taste is again pretty rich and malty, plenty of grains including corn. Musty floral hops, that also give a slight lemon grass edge. The mouthfeel is pretty heavy for this pale of a beer, and a little boozy.

Overall: I bought this because of the name, and thats about what I got. Compared to most malt liquors, this is pretty good, compared to most beers I like, this is crap. Maybe it was just psycological because its a malt liquor, but I had a hard time choking this one down.

dfried, Jun 13, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured this beer into tumbler at 45 degrees. beer was faily average looking like a domestic. Beer had no head at all and no lacing. looked flat and smelled skunky. Bland tasting kinda like a domestic, nothing stood out. It okay i guess but why pay that price for a flat malt liqour when you can buy a fresh Micky. Not buy again.

Minkybut, Feb 16, 2007