1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Ratings: 329 | Reviews: 269 | Show All Ratings:
cproioi

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Yellow in color with a white head that subsides quickly and left little lacing.

S: Very sweet. It had a large malt aroma.

T: Eh, it tasted good, for a malt liquor that is. It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it again. However, for the style it was one of the best malt liquors I've had.

M: Highly carbonated. But yet rather watery.

D: Like I said I wouldn't go out a search for this beer again however if it was given to me I'd drink it. This beer went down smoothly and was very easily drank.

06-10-2006 13:56:06 | More by cproioi
GCBrewingCo

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear pale golden with a white and very quickly retreating head which lasted but an instant and could not lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a corny aromatic. Some caramel existed in the aroma and a light maltiness.

The flavor was fruity and light with corn flavor sweet and most prevalent. The flavor contained a moderate caramel flavor and a just enough bittering to head the beer toward a dry side.

The finish was just dry and corn flavor lasting long into the aftertaste. The body was medium with a fairly low carbonation level. A bit too sweet, but the corn was interesting. A bit of alcohol warming was notable post consumption.

22 ounce bottle.

05-25-2006 21:46:24 | More by GCBrewingCo
mynie

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

I've been itching to try a fancy malt liquor ever since I saw Dogfish Head's classy stamped paper bag. Unfortunately, 3 Floyds was all out of Dolomite during my last visit, and so I figured my best bet would be in a trade.

But then I stopped at the store and nearly passed over this here bottle, which at a glance looks a lot like the Nut Brown ale. I did a double take, grabbed it, and find myself here, three hours later, pouring out a dark gold beer with a very small white head that falls away.

Smells of deep corn, grain, and hints of alcohol. A lot like a regular malt liquor, actually. No Rogue pacmanniness, or anything. Just cheap grain.

Tastes pretty decent. Good pils grain up front, moving into a dry, sweet yeast in the middle which floats into a kettle corn kind of sweetness, ending on a solid dry cascade hop. The brew loses .5 due to an unfortunate chemical aftertaste--just like you get in Olde English or Mickey's!

Firm body and easy drinking, but that's not enough to save this brew. Might as well pay half as much for half as much Old E'.

05-22-2006 01:09:58 | More by mynie
MaltyGoodness

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. bottle

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fizzy white head that fades. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of sweet malt, corn, and booze. Reminds me of Crazy Horse.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront followed by a bunch of corn and booze. Finishes sweet and malty.

Body seems a little syrupy. Decent carbonation.

Rogue has really hit this style on the head. It is a classic malt liquor, which is like Crazy Horse on steroids (if such a thing there be). Although, I really enjoyed the novelty more than the beer itself.

05-20-2006 02:10:21 | More by MaltyGoodness
Shaw

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

I saw a bottle of this at my local Whole Foods and couldn't resist! It's probably been 10 years since I had any malt liquor -- other than Pizza Port's Brown Bag Malt Liquor.

It pours a golden yellow that a lot deeper colored than a typical malt liquor. It has a lovely puffy white head that reduces to a thin ring in my glass.

It smells sweet, almost like diacetyl? I'm not noticing any hops, which is a little strange for Rogue.

Well, this sure doesn't taste like the malt liquors I remember: This beer tastes good. It's lightly sweet (I'd almost say it has grape-like flavors) and malty with a hint of bitterness -- miles away better from any major malt liquor I've ever had. This is one of the least hoppy beers Rogue makes.

The body is good. It's got more heft than I was expecting, which I always like.

For those who think Rogue only makes hop bombs, you should try this beer. It's very approachable. I'm sure the ABV puts it out of the session beer range, but otherwise this is a really easy-drinking brew.

05-19-2006 05:34:53 | More by Shaw
TheBungyo

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain.

05-18-2006 04:52:58 | More by TheBungyo
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first malt liquor. No, I've never tried OE or anything, even in my sillier days. I haven't had a chance to try Liquor de Malt so this will be my first from a craft company.

Went ahead and poured the whole bottle into my biggest glass at a cold temp. It's yellow-gold in color, with a few streams of very energetic bubbles and a fizzy, short-lasting head. It looks better than a lot of lagers that are trying hard.

The scent is distinctly lagerish, with a mild whiff of sweet corn thrown in to let you know that it's not just hops, malts, water and yeast. Nothing bad - like a macro lager, but with actual substance.

Now this is my first malt liquor, but there's definitely nothing foul going on here. It tastes like a full-bodied American lager - yes, a bit corny, but no overpowering alcohol or chemical tastes. Very refreshing at the end of the day, when I just want to flop down on my LoveSac and watch TV.

Mouthfeel is smooth; Despite the energetic carbonation visible in the glass, nothing can be felt until swallowing, whereupon it feels nice and creamy. Going a while between sips, there's a nice, lightly sticky aftertaste that forms and hangs around, enticing more sips.

This is a highly drinkable beer. I know Rogue knows how to make a good lager, as evidenced by their Uber Pils - one of my favorite pilseners from any brewery in any country - and this is a good spin on their talent. The name is amusing, too!

05-16-2006 23:52:20 | More by Tupperwolf
CualityC

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought this one in a 22 oz. bomber. Kind of disappointed, if I'm going to drink some malt liquour I'd like to have it from the old 4-0. Nonetheless, I cracked this open with childlike anticipation, a new beer from Rogue! Imagine my surprise when I poured this straw yellow concoction into my pilsner glass. It looked like I had just sullied my glassware with Olde English (a good brew at the right time). It smelled as if I had just poured the farm into my glass, corn and alcohol scent creeped into the air, as if I had just distilled some bathtub moonshine in between feeding the livestock. However, one should never underestimate Rogue, one sip of this crazy beast and I knew for certain, this is the finest malt liquor I've ever consumed. The only problem, that's a little bit like being the prettyest girl at an ugly contest. This beer is drinkable, and the mouthfeel is a viscous smooth texture like Billy Dee Williams voice. Here's my only qualm, why should I pay 4.99 for 22 oz. of Rogue malt liquor, when I can pay 1.99 for 40 oz. of just anybody else's? And maybe more importantly, should I really be drinking beer just to get drunk? In the end, Rogue Beer's idea is hilarious, and their heart is in the right place, I just don't think it's fair to give them a complete pass on this one.

05-14-2006 02:26:23 | More by CualityC
aforbes10

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Wow, this was a treat. One of the member's of our beer club went to City Wide Liquors in South Bend and the owner brought this out from the back room for him. I've been excited about trying the Dogfish Head Malt Liquor but this is just as thrilling. Poured out golden and pilsner colored with a fluffy white head. really looks like a maly liquor but mildly less suspicious. smells corny and a bit dull, kind of like OE. I taste corn, mild ethanol and fermented apples. Pretty darn smooth and non of that overwhelming water-mouth ethanol flavor you can get with some of the other malt liquors out there. Very drinkable, and a nice fun beer from Rogue.

05-12-2006 14:11:26 | More by aforbes10