Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros

smi, Apr 06, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

First beer of the week as I spend a few days with good friends...lets hope that's a good sign. ;)

Nice strong yellow colour,slight orangy tint. Thin white head.

Smell is srt of like a swet malt liquor with a hint of wet towel (or as a friend said, wet dog).

Flavour is better than expected- a little woody and slightly spicy, with a thick strong maltiness.

I'd like the hearty body on this one, were it not for the turbocharged carbonation.

Overall, nice and drinkable- but with some shortcomings. Good lawnmower beer.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Jul 15, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Bought this on a recommendation. Pours a clear light amber with practically no head. Not much to look at. Smell immediately informs that hops are not going to be a headliner at this party. Taste is all sweet malt and grain, becoming more cloying as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is fine, smooth, slick. Drinkability is fine also, esp at cooler temps. Alcohol is not readily appearant. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be coming back to any time soon.

Onibubba, Jun 18, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw color, with a half finger white head that disappears almost immediately.

S: Sweet malts, almost a caramel characteristic to it, with an ever so slight whiff of hops. Not a lot going on.

T: Grains, sweet malts and the caramel taste fully develops...again, nothing to speak of as far as complexity.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation, fairly smooth.

D: Goes down reasonably easy but not interesting enough to want much of.

Xul, May 19, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer!

marvin213, Jun 26, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

-okay, looks reminiscent of a bud or coors. not much else to say

-got some nose to it. some apple indeed

-some apple, lager taste, good apple after taste

-carby, kinda mad feeling

-if you can not think about the price, or if nothing else think about how funny the fact is that rogue made a malt liquor...not too shabby for what it is

juhl31, Sep 05, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first malt liquor. No, I've never tried OE or anything, even in my sillier days. I haven't had a chance to try Liquor de Malt so this will be my first from a craft company.

Went ahead and poured the whole bottle into my biggest glass at a cold temp. It's yellow-gold in color, with a few streams of very energetic bubbles and a fizzy, short-lasting head. It looks better than a lot of lagers that are trying hard.

The scent is distinctly lagerish, with a mild whiff of sweet corn thrown in to let you know that it's not just hops, malts, water and yeast. Nothing bad - like a macro lager, but with actual substance.

Now this is my first malt liquor, but there's definitely nothing foul going on here. It tastes like a full-bodied American lager - yes, a bit corny, but no overpowering alcohol or chemical tastes. Very refreshing at the end of the day, when I just want to flop down on my LoveSac and watch TV.

Mouthfeel is smooth; Despite the energetic carbonation visible in the glass, nothing can be felt until swallowing, whereupon it feels nice and creamy. Going a while between sips, there's a nice, lightly sticky aftertaste that forms and hangs around, enticing more sips.

This is a highly drinkable beer. I know Rogue knows how to make a good lager, as evidenced by their Uber Pils - one of my favorite pilseners from any brewery in any country - and this is a good spin on their talent. The name is amusing, too!

Tupperwolf, May 17, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Lee45102, Sep 13, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Poured a bright sunset orange that has mild amber tinting. Head was minimal with fair retention. There was no lacing but this sat in the glass a crisply glowing liquid.

S: Not a whole lot in the nose. Hints of corn and grain cereal with a touch of honey.

T: Thin syrupy sweetness. No tastes of hops but plenty of caramel and candy malt flavors. Balances out nicely with some apple and pear roundness. Faint pinch of ginger spiciness towards the end.

M: Nice carbonation and a good heavy medium mouth feel

D: Actually for this style I found it to be very drinkable and very enjoyable. I like the idea of a craft malt liquor. I had no idea what to expect with this one but I was hoping for something more offensive and loaded with booze. This turned out to be quite the opposite which is a compliment to Rogue.

erikm25, Jul 17, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours out the grassy color you'd expect of a malt liqour. Almost no head. Amazingly aromatic. I smell the sweet/fruity hops sitting across the room, the second I open the bottle. It has a very bland taste. The hop smell comes out a little, but it's very watery. Thin mouthfeel. It's okay as far as malt liquors go, but really Rogue and other breweries should really stay away from this style instead of trying to dress it up.

cracgor, Feb 03, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 22oz. bomber. Small blurb about dedicating this beer to dads. No stamp regarding bottle or lot.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden straw color. Small white head forms with moderate-low retention. Small stream of bubbles from the glass is indicating a higher level of carbonation. Overall a very good looking beer. Although there is haze, it may be more of a sign of mishandling by the distributor and/or liquor store.

Aroma: Grassy noble hop aroma upfront with a load of malt sweetness. Very slight hint of dimethyl sulfide and an alcoholic fusels in the background, and getting a very occasional whiff of sulfur.

Taste: Corn sweetness with a light lingering hop bitterness in the finish and notes of alcohol fusels. Not much other flavor going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is fuller than what I have expected.

Notes: Not a bad malt liquor. I think the hop aroma is a bit too strong and the body is too full for the style. Other than that, it is easily drinkable, but the sweetness of the malt and corn is just too strong for me to drink too much of it. Alcohol warmth is noticeable, but not hot or solventy.

dauss, Jun 27, 2010

Not really a Malt Liquor guy.

Pours a pale clear color with no head. Aroma is malty for sure with very sweet notes. Has that distinct corny smell of adjunct beers. Taste is sickly sweet and corny, like an imperial PBR or something. . . Too sweet honestly, like drinking a corn syrup concoction.

Again I don't drink malt liquor normally, this is probably a really good one but I did not enjoy it at all. I expect Rogue to try something different, but this time I don't think it works. Hard to rate since I can't compare it so I'll rate it average. But considering the price $4.00 I would expect there are much cheaper options.

kgotcher, Jul 06, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Yellow in color with a white head that subsides quickly and left little lacing.

S: Very sweet. It had a large malt aroma.

T: Eh, it tasted good, for a malt liquor that is. It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it again. However, for the style it was one of the best malt liquors I've had.

M: Highly carbonated. But yet rather watery.

D: Like I said I wouldn't go out a search for this beer again however if it was given to me I'd drink it. This beer went down smoothly and was very easily drank.

cproioi, Jun 10, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

andrewborstein, Mar 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

bicyclesnbeer, Aug 19, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

STYLE STYLE STYLE.

Pours a dehydrated urine with no head and zero lacing.

No hops present. Fresh malt, zero roast of course. Above average for no hops smell and freshness.

Tastes sweet. Almost a syrup taste. Alcohol byte, my guess would be 7 or less ABV.

Could be creamy. Pretty light like a pilsner, but smoother. Finish is definately malty, light bodied.

Drinkability is somewhat low only because its not a style I would go for. However, definately a try at least once. I might even try again if its offered or on tap though I dont see myself having more than 1 on any occasion.

JasonA, Dec 23, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

1 pt 6fl oz amber bottle.

A: A straw color, very solid with some white bubbles on it that disappear almost instant,very nice

S: Some sweets and grains.

T: Honey is very present in there,,some carbonation also,maltiness and sweetness also.

M&D: Easy to drink,nice in the mouth better than the average malt-liquour

BeerDreadz, Sep 01, 2007

ryko, Aug 21, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -15.4%

Old Note from 9/24/07

Sad that I recognize the qualities of maltliquor.

The smell, oaky chardonay? [that explains alot about what's so popular]

Weird dense foam. OE like color.
Yikes, Sweet Tangy, yup that's it, smooth middle. Sticky. Kind of metalic or flinty tones [more Chardonnay qualities]

Quaint. Not something to have often.
I hate to say it but it's prefect for spicy, greasy, food. Chinese. Szchewan? Hot spicy Asian stuff.

[I forgot to note that a friend & I bought a 12 case Noah's Ark of 40's a few years back. I've had none since and plan on not buying any more macro-brew macro beers]

Dotcubed, Dec 12, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Golden color, like what you’d expect from a lager. Tastes decent, pretty average beer with a slight ‘zing’ to it. It’s certainly not a malt liquor like you’d expect if you’ve been drinking Hurricane or Schlitz lately. Worth a try, but only if you’re feeling bored with whatever else is on the shelf. I probably won’t buy it again and certainly not a good representation of what Rogue is capable of. I also can’t claim to be a malt liquor connoisseur, but this was without a doubt the most expensive one I’ve had at $5.25 and it wasn’t even 40oz.

msolar, Oct 26, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

clear golden color with a medium sized white head and horizontal, slug trail and spotty lacing. yep... all three.

it lacks a 'stink' or any aromas typical to the cheap stuff. sweet aroma... sweet corn, cinnamon, grain, red apple and a faint yeasty note.

it's mildly sweet on the palate (though low for a typical ML). flavors of grain, metal, dry grass, a bit of spice, a mild savory yeast note, apples and grapes with a hoppy, spicy and dry finish. there's a faint floral touch and slight hint at the abv% as it warms (what ML should be consumed warm?). medium body with a smooth mouth feel and lack of any stickiness.

very clean and well done with no chemical flavors in sight. almost too nice to call malt likka???...
8/4/8/5/17/4.2

hellbilly, Dec 04, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

22 oz. bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours golden with a fleeting, off-white head. Way more colorful than any malt liquor I've had in the past.

S - Sweet. Malt sugars, corn, vague apricot or similar fruit

T - Very sweet, malt, corn, a touch harsh and boozy. Fleeting stale hops on the swallow.

M - Crisp (it better be) and chuggable. Vaguely warming alcohol presence.

D - Tastes like high-class college. Can they put this in a 40 for the occasional trip down memory lane? ;-)

association330, Jul 23, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pale to medium pale color, medium carbonation, very quickly dissapating head.
Boy is this beer corny, like me... I thought this tasted like a slightly hoppy American pilsner. Much better than your run of the mill gas station malt liquor in a paper bag, cept' for Liqor De' Malt. The alcohol wasnt really prevalant.

Goes down smooth, no burn, for that matter not much aftertaste either.
I think this would be a good transition beer for some who feel they like their Bud but are willing to go out on a limb. Its not overly different but if you look for it there is something enjoyable here.

nriech, Aug 14, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into my normal reviewing glass. A pale golden color, with almost no head.

Malty, a little dry, this is pretty much what I expected. Very Macro-ish tasting. I wish I knew how much ABV was in this before I down it.

Nothing wrong with this brew, not much good either.

However, compared to other Malt Liquors its like a fine wine.

Fatduck, Mar 08, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured as a orange-yellow clear liquid with white head that disappeared almost immediately (within seconds). Smell was of sweet buttered corn and not much else. Taste was of sweet buttered corn with a touch of alcohol. No hoppiness. No bitterness and might be a tad too sweet but really corny. Mouthfeel was a bit below average, finished sweet and had a semi-lingering corn aftertaste.

Drinkability is low. I won't be buying this beer again. I'd probably rather drink Budweiser than drink this one again but if there's nothing else, I'd drink this in a pinch.

xare, Aug 26, 2008