Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

22oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a crystal-clear yellow body with virtually no head to speak of. Smell is anything but strong, but hints at cooked corn, grain, and a small bit of alcohol. Actually tastes good - baker's cocoa and caramel take their place with husky grain, cooked corn, and just a hint of the alcohol. Light bodied as expected, with moderate to full carbonation. All-in-all, not a bad beer. Not something I'd get all the time, but for the style, it's definitely one of the better ones (though not quite as good as DFH Liquor de Malt IMO) - reminds me of a tastier better-made version of Steel Reserve.

Single, bomber bottle just copped from Gary's in Madison for $4.49...
A hefty pour yielded a medium-to-dark golden hue with a modest head that quickly dissipated and deposited a thin film of lacing around the edge of the serving glass...
A majority of Rogue brews are top-notch, so I was pretty curious to sample their offbeat Malt Liquor...
Overall, not a bad depiction of a fairly mediocore and undesirable style...
Sweet, malty aroma with slight hints of honey and sugars...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, with an ultra-sweet, slightly cloying flavor that was all-in-all well balanced for a malt liquor...
Good mouthfeel with a decent level of drinkability... Curious to know what the ABV on this one is...
Worth a try...

This review is based on the "American Malt Liquor" style. That being said, I think this takes the cake for the best malt lickra I've ever had. Let it be known that I was somewhat of a connoisseur of this style at one time in my life. It is a dirty sort of yellow. Not quite golden. A small bubbly white head emerged to cap off the glass but alas it fell away without hesitation in true malt lickra fashion. Lace? No. This is malt lickra. The nose holds some character. It is a bit corn syrupy. The Czech pils yeast almost creates an atmosphere that makes this thing smell a bit too classy. Almost. It seems to have a faintly spicy nutmeg aroma that mingles in with a dry grassiness. It reminds me of the Atwater Block house character for some reason or another. The taste is a bit punchy with alcoholic raw malt lickra intensity. At least that is what my dad thought when we split his bottle. I am relatively unphased by alcoholic impression unless the brew is an extreme one. This is still fairly mild and unintrusive according to my palate. I can feel it going to me brain however. This is really a nice little brew. The mouthfeel is light enough keep this thing drinkable and just thick enough to let you know that it is not exactly a light hearted concoction. Naysayers be damned. If this ain't a good offering for the style what is? I'll bet if this was called an "Imperial Pilsner," it would get better marks. Fight negative stereotypes and vote with your heart. Make the world a better place. Remember that bums from the alley would have to pan handle four times as long to score this one. Plus, it isn't even a forty ouncer. Maybe then, the beer snob in you will give this fine malt lickra some props.

Rogue is on to something here. I think it is great that they and other small breweries are taking something the Macro brews have been doing with no soul, and showing that aroma, flavor, body can be present in a "malt liquor."

A: Deep golden hue, with hints of copper, was expecting something lighter. Nice head, fairly creamy in appearance.
S: An fairly strong aroma. Malt is certainly present, along with corn and perhaps rice. Pretty sweet, with a hint of alcohol, was expecting a bit more though being this is a malt liquor.
T: Very nice, refreshing actually. Malt and corn upfront, followed by a bit of sweetness and a alcohol kick. Just the right amount.
M: Just what you would expect, pretty light. I found this to have a round mouth-feel that you don't' get from the macro versions. Perhaps I was not concerned with such characteristics in my younger years.
D: Very drinkable. I could easily drink this often. Don't think I would go as far as saying they should offer a 40oz, but could drink a 6 pack over the course of an evening. Does not need anymore alcohol in my opinion.

Dad's Little Helper pours a very light copper color with a thin white head. A little bit of corn in the aroma, but certainly not a typical nasty malt liquor smell. The taste is definitely to style. This tastes like a malt liquor, corn predominates. But some hops are noticeable in the finish, much more so than a typical malt liquor. I give it nine out of ten swills. Worth a try if only for the novelty factor.

For a malt liquor you really are not going to get anything better taste wise from one. Even though i paid 4 bucks for a 22 oz, I felt like i was totally satisfied being that i have had my fair share of malt liquors. It has that classic golden malt liquor color, not any different from Kobra or Colt. This is a very smooth ride just like most rogue brews, but not much going on in this one other than malts. All I really have to say is for the price its worth the try at least. I would rather have their other brews but not a disappointment in the least bit. I just kind of picked it up for a nostalgic kind of thing. Most people would be satisfied i think.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought this beer in Indianpolis tonight! Parti pak liquors in Greenwood, so it must be some of the last get it while you can

22 oz into my new heavy glass mug

A: nice golden color with a 3 finger white head. good head retention and bit of the head stick all the way down.

S: Fresh clover and grains with a hint of malts.

T: Clover and beeswax again from the hops. the malts are overtaken by the hops but thats not a bad thing. Tastes like someone put a 90 minute pale ale in my Mickeys! Birdie num num!

D: Rather bright and fruity from the hoppiness, but it goes down good and its flavor grow as it warms. Drink away boys!

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

I thought it was funny by the label from Rouge so I had to get it. I a not a big fan of malt liquor but hey you only live once. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: There is a nice one finger white head that has some retention to it. The body of the beer is medium straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is slightly hazy.

Nose: A good amount of malt aroma with elements of bready yeast but not as strong as many malt liquors. The alcohol is prevalent in the beer. In the back ground there is a slight sweetness.

Taste: There is malt, a tame amount of the bready yeast. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. In the background of the beer there is a touch of sweetness.

Overall: The mouth fee is carbonated and creamy. The body of the beer is medium to medium thick and the finish is medium also. This is not a typical malt liquor you get in the 40's The beer is refined, but it still taste like a malt liquor.

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer pours a slightly hazy light straw colour, with two fingers of creamy, puffy white head, which leaves a paint-job of lace around the glass as it falls away. It smells of white cracker grain, grass, and a little skunk. The taste is white grain malt, with a bit of corn mealiness, grassy hops, and some relatively smooth warming alcohol. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, and only hinting at being cloying, and it finishes sweet, the mixed grains and mild booziness holding things together.

The malt liquor heritage definitely shines through, but everything seems fuller and more well rounded than every other example of the style I've had the misfortune of sampling - but I suppose that's the whole point.

3.93/5  rDev +17%

Pours a clear, deep golden color with a fizzy white ehad that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of sweet grain and corn with some musty hops.

Tastes of sweet grains and light hops. Sticky sweet malts give way to a corn flavor. Hops are very much in the background, but add an earthiness to the mix.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of cabronation.

3.93/5  rDev +17%

A: pours yellow with an oddly long lasting frothy white head, that actually left some lacing, a surprise for malt liquor.
S: pale malt sweetness, just a bit of corn, doesn't have the cooked corn and harshness that its other mass produced cousins have.
T: within style its amazingly good. sweet pale malt, a bit of sweet corn and not harsh aftertaste or fuel like alcohol. also doesn't taste horrid after it warms up a little!
M: strangely thick in a way compare to other malt liquors. carbonation is in the medium range.
D: the most drinkable malt liquor ive ever had.

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

22oz bottle, poured a sample into a tasting glass to grade color and appearance, but drank the way it should be : out of a paper bag.

A - Pours a clear light gold with a thin white head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a slight whisp of haze.
S - Sweet corn and malt, with a bit of cider character and honey. Surprisingly clean and crisp smelling.
T - More corn and malt with a bit of solvent-y alcohol and a slightly bitter hop finish. Not the greatest thing in the world, but compared to other Malt Liquors it's outstanding.
M - Surprisingly full-bodied for the style, probably medium-full overall. The carbonation is a bit low for what I'd like, would love to see this be a bit "fizzier".
D - Y'know I really enjoyed this, it was a good beer but an even better experiment and example of how to do a good Malt Liquor. Kudos to Rogue!

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to Enola for sharing his bomber.
Mostly pale gold with some hints of amber. Decent 1/2" off white head with moderate retention. Spotty lacing.
Smells kind of like a mild pale ale. There's noticable bitterness in the nose. Not hoppy bitterness though. Just bitter.
Over a nice malt backbone I get the flavors of alcohol, corn, and could it be....hops? Mostly you taste the malts which is the way it's supposed to be.
Light to medium bodied
This is nothing like any other malt liquer I've had. For a malt liquer it's very good. As an over all beverage I recommend it when you want something a little different.

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

No date on bottle but that's OK. Served in a Rogue shaker pint glass (why not). Beer is yellow and clear. Forms a big white head of small and medium bubbles that falls away leaving a little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate with tiny bubbles. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Not much going on there. Smells OK.

Nice, medium body clean. Very nice. Sweetness up front, great feeling on the palate. I really like this beer. I have a soft spot for big lagers. Drinkability high and mouthfeel good. I would recommend it for either the pedestrian or serious beer drinker.

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

22oz bomber poured into a pint.

Pale golden color, crystal clear. One finger white foamy head goes away quickly and barely leaves a film.

I let this warm up nicely and the smell nearly knocked me over when I first leaned in. Strong and sweet smelling. Smells of sweet corn. Maybe just a touch of caramel. The alcohol burns the inside of my nose.

The flavor is very buttery. Buttered sweet corn. The taste starts off very buttery before the sweetness hits you, just for a split second, and then finishes buttery again. Hops provide just a touch of spice throughout, but this is not hoppy.

This is medium bodied and a little oily on the palate.

I haven't had a malt liquor in ten years and I can't remember how they tasted, but this malt liquor isn't bad. It's very smooth.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

A: A clear gold color with a thick white head that laces the glass.

S: Sweet grainy alcohol aroma with some fruity esters.

T: A corn and grain flavor with mixed with alcohol and sweet esters. A touch of hop in the finish.

M: A heavier body with good carbonation.

O: I typically don't drink malt liquor, but this isn't too bad.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales